Comments

• Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    "The story of grunge is also one of death."  While perhaps true...very depressing.  Rooting for Pearl Jam to continue redefining themselves towards whatever is sustainable/fun for them.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Thought it was slightly odd. The legacy is grunge is the collective work of all those artists, not PJ's weight or burden to bear.

Also wanted to add that Mark Lanegan has continued to thrive. He seems to be omitted from these articles that touch on the history of the Seattle scene. He just put out a new record, his 10th, and has continuously collaborated with a variety of artists. I suppose he never got the commercial success of the frequently-named Seattle scene icons, but his music is as essential to me as is PJs.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    ceska said:
    Thought it was slightly odd. The legacy is grunge is the collective work of all those artists, not PJ's weight or burden to bear.

Also wanted to add that Mark Lanegan has continued to thrive. He seems to be omitted from these articles that touch on the history of the Seattle scene. He just put out a new record, his 10th, and has continuously collaborated with a variety of artists. I suppose he never got the commercial success of the frequently-named Seattle scene icons, but his music is as essential to me as is PJs.
    Absolutely! The Screaming Trees were my favorite band to see live in the early 90s in clubs around Seattle. I would think Mark Lanegan, Mark Arm, Ron Nine, Nick Pollock, and Tad Doyle to name a few living Seattle "grunge" frontmen off the top of my head, would disagree with with that WaPo article. Ed isn't alone. There is an entire community of Seattle musicians who were around prior to the Seattle explosion, and are still around today, playing music and supporting each other. It is silly to think Ed is some sort of endangered animal. But I guess he is the last of the "Big 4", the Mount Rushmore of Grunge.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Right on, Jeff. Awesome that you got see the Screaming Trees too.