Options

Favorite Chris Cornell memory?

124»

Comments

• Options
    LT150045LT150045 Williamsport, PA Posts: 22
    Never had the chance to see them in the 90's due to having a daughter in 94' not long after high school.  So work life took a hold of me during my 20's and supporting my family.  Fast forward to 2016, kids are mostly grown and I live in PA now and news breaks about the TOTD tour.  I freak the f*ck out and tell the wife we are going.  So years back I was a paid member of this great forum but I had let it lapse and couldn't get tickets through the PJ fan club but I found a pair and the wife and I saw the TOTD show in NYC at MSG and it was EPIC!  I compare that show to PJ in 95' in New Orleans and STP at the Voodoo Fest in 2000 in the Big Easy.  So the TOTD show gets my blood going and I just want to see more of my man CC.  The Seattle sound kicked off my senior year of high school and like most, it has been with me through my adult life. So, here we get 2017 started and Soundgarden puts their dates out there for their tour.  I immediately tell the wife we have to make one of the shows.  So I end up buying 3 tickets.  The wife couldn't get off work, which we were so bummed about, but she said take your two kids.  I have 2 kids still living with me from a previous marriage.  So I talk to my son who was home from college and my 12 yo daughter about the show.  They both say yes dad let's take a road trip.  So off we go.  We arrive in Detroit for the show at the Fox Theatre.  A bucket list item for me since I was 18 in 1992.  We had great seats and the Fox is all I had heard about.  We get to rock out to SG on May 17 in Detroit.  To me it was one of the best shows I have seen.  Not only because it was SG but I got to share it with my son and daughter, even though my daughter wasn't nearly as pumped as her 43 yo dad was.  LOL!  So it is one of the most bittersweet moments in my life now because I wake up in the hotel at 6 am on the Thursday morning to find my phone to check the time and I see the notification that Chris Cornell passed away after his Detroit show.  So glad I have the memories with my kids and my wife.  Thankful CC shared so much passion and creativity with words.   RIP CC.....
  • Options
    emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    edited May 2017
    My most favourite, must be this: 
    skip to 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ss45dlK7Cg

Soundgarden show, Manchester, Friday 13th 2013. Randomly recorded video, I just wanted to have something at all.
    During the song THIS happened and I have to say, yes, the camera was on but I was only holding it, praying that Chris will actually be on it, because I wasn't looking at the camera at all, I was looking at him... And then he stopped in front of us for a while and the next thing I know I'm holding his hand... And then I also accidentally (I mean it, by accident, I was pushed! :smiley: )  touched his belly, it was hard as steel... 

I also have a very nice memory of his eyes and smile, though it didn't end the way I wanted, I will always remember him looking at me and smiling. After soundcheck in Birmingham I had my vinyl signed by Ben and Matt, Kim appeared and Chris somehow got it to the car without anybody noticing him. But I did :smile: So there was Chris (and Matt and Ben) in the car, the security guy just beside it and me in front of the security guy. I asked Chris if he would sign my vinyl, he said yes, though the security guy wouldn't let me to come closer, I said to him few times, asked to turn back and look at Chris because he's actually saying yes, he wants to do it. But the security guy wouldn't listen, asked me to leave and he was actually quite agressive so I didn't have a choice. Though I will always, always remember Chris's eyes and smile from that day. 

All the 3 solo shows I've seen. 

And this. Brings memories every time I look at it

Post edited by emjot on
    PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited May 2017
    I have many, but will talk about this one (or three). The Sandy Benefit at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC (~500 capacity) on 11/12/2014 will remain one of my all-time favourite shows. It was billed as a solo Chris Cornell show that was thrown together very quickly. Soundgarden was going to be in town for Letterman, so Chris decided to do a solo benefit show. Everyone donated their time, so all proceeds went to Hurricane Sandy victims. I think the show didn't start for at least 2 hours after the official start time so people were getting antsy, but then we saw them bringing in Kim and Ben and Matt's gear and the room started to buzz with anticipation. The guys would eventually come on stage to play a short set (6 songs, I believe) which was a nice treat, but the real treat was Chris was in a really good mood and sounded great too.

Chris decided to rag on Prince for some reason throughout the show. It started after the Soundgarden set, Chris said that they were like Prince, playing a small club after the show (they played Letterman earlier that evening). The Prince comparison just kept going on throughout the night. At one point when he was tuning his guitar before Sweet Euphoria, he goes: “I fucking rocked these strings right out of tune. That’s how I do it. Prince doesn’t do that. He’s too little. I shouldn’t say that, he probably plays with the heaviest fucking strings made. And he’s a way better guitar player than I ever have been, or will ever be”. The crowd starts booing and Chris says, “No, I don’t measure myself against him, he plays like the tuba and shit. Once you get into that world you’re just like, wow, you’re awesome.” Then he gets this crazy big smile on his face like he just thought of the funniest thing and goes, “Can you imagine him playing the tuba though, that’d be kinda cute”.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bORj8AXJYgo

The other thing I remember that was hilarious was when he was covering Thunder Road, some chick kept yelling out "Black Rain! Sing Black Rain now!". He finally had it like a minute into the song and he weaves in "Shut the fuck up you cow" without missing a beat. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen/heard at a concert. Don't worry, the lady was OK. After the song ended, she said something like, "Sorry Chris, I just really want to hear Black Rain!".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJbS_3on7LA

And his cover of Lady Stardust is one of the best things I've ever heard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIZc7u4KqAA

He had become my favourite person to watch live. Going to feel empty for a really long time. Miss you, CC.
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Lolla michigan 92
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,369
    Great fucking story Suziemay Thank you for sharing. 
  • Options
    Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    emjot said:

Soundgarden show, Manchester, Friday 13th 2013. Randomly recorded video, I just wanted to have something at all.
    During the song THIS happened and I have to say, yes, the camera was on but I was only holding it, praying that Chris will actually be on it, because I wasn't looking at the camera at all, I was looking at him... And then he stopped in front of us for a while and the next thing I know I'm holding his hand... And then I also accidentally (I mean it, by accident, I was pushed! :smiley: )  touched his belly, it was hard as steel... 

I also have a very nice memory of his eyes and smile, though it didn't end the way I wanted, I will always remember him looking at me and smiling. After soundcheck in Birmingham I had my vinyl signed by Ben and Matt, Kim appeared and Chris somehow got it to the car without anybody noticing him. But I did :smile: So there was Chris (and Matt and Ben) in the car, the security guy just beside it and me in front of the security guy. I asked Chris if he would sign my vinyl, he said yes, though the security guy wouldn't let me to come closer, I said to him few times, asked to turn back and look at Chris because he's actually saying yes, he wants to do it. But the security guy wouldn't listen, asked me to leave and he was actually quite agressive so I didn't have a choice. Though I will always, always remember Chris's eyes and smile from that day. 

Some great moments in that video - thanks for sharing
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

The other thing I remember that was hilarious was when he was covering Thunder Road, some chick kept yelling out "Black Rain! Sing Black Rain now!". He finally had it like a minute into the song and he weaves in "Shut the fuck up you cow" without missing a beat. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen/heard at a concert. Don't worry, the lady was OK. After the song ended, she said something like, "Sorry Chris, I just really want to hear Black Rain!".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJbS_3on7LA

Loved this - that video made me laugh- thank you
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,875
    Great story Suziemay.  Thank you everyone for sharing. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,425
    When he came out during PJ 20 for a little TOTD set. And this song :

https://youtu.be/Yqq_9sBq48k

• Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    Chris Cornell on Fallon show........Redemtion song
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Another one of my favourites from Hammerstein Ballroom NYC 2013, night 1. Fan holds up a sign saying "Can I play Outshined on stage...". Chris spots it and reads it. He starts chuckling and goes, “You mean this one?” and proceeds to think for two seconds as Kim, Ben and Matt launch into Outshined. “Are you good at it?” and the guy is bobbing his head up and down so Chris gestures for him to get on stage and Chris’ tech hands him Chris’ guitar.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4faecbyeqiY

• Options

That's Awesome^^^^^

Thanks for posting

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,148
    I had another one.   My favourite Soundgarden show I ever saw was 1996 at the PNE forum in Vancouver.   It was only a few months before they broke up.  Ben Sheppard was in a horrible mood and kept spitting on the crowd, fingering the crowd, and biting his thumb at the crowd.... lol.

My favourite memory is crowd surfing and I just got to the rail at the right time when Chris was at that exact spot at the front of the stage.   I have the distinct visual of an upside down chris cornell shaking my hand.. lol.... 

That show was amazing.   Horrible venue, with horrible sound, and I was deaf for weeks, but the crowd was awesome.   Every time someone fell the crowd picked them right back up again.  One of my most favourite mosh pits I've ever been in.   Even though Sheppard was in a bad mood, the energy was insane, and the band was on fire.

I've seen so many concerts sometimes it's hard to remember specifics, but quite often there's that 1 song my brain remembers from a show, and it brings me right back to the show.   For me it's Blow up the Outside World.  Anytime I hear that song it takes me right back to that show.

• Options
    dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    I can't remember when this was, it was a SuperUknown era song, but Cornell was performing with Soundgarden on tv and his guitar was having technical difficulties throughout the song.  He just went to town on the guitar after the song, it was freakin' awesome.  Glad I saw Soundgarden live a few years ago, wish I went to a TOD show last year.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Watching Chris perform A Day In The Life here in Adelaide was INCREDIBLE! So very lucky to have witnessed that! Thank you so much for sharing your gift Chris. ❤️
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    I got to see Soundgarden in 1997 and TOTD in 2011 at both nights of PJ20. 

We had tickets to see him solo in Florida but the show was cancelled due to a shoulder injury. The show was never rescheduled. 

Soundgarden in '97 was the highlight of the live performances. Blow up the Outside World was the closer and Chris went apeshit on his guitar and amp at the end creating a wall of noise and feedback that I feel I can still hear 20 years later. 

He was a true frontman and perhaps the most talented and gifted musician of the generation. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    Apple was a really big album for me, still is. When Chris came out during PJ20 and belted out Stardog Champion I was levitating. TOTD was another huge musical shift and TOTD in SF, I was so happy that I was going to hear the entire album live. I was grinning and singing along. Couldn't believe how fortunate I was to get so close to the stage. Then they launched into Stardog Champion. I was so happy, and for a portion of the song I felt like he was looking at me singing along. He has that stare. I just started laughing while I was singing when I opened my eyes and it looked like he was looking right in my direction. I felt like it happened several times during that show. Getting busted singing your heart out by the guy on stage. Thank you Chris and the band for such a great weekend of music. There was just so much joy, on the stage and in the audience.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,875
    Just heard hunger strike for the first time since Chris s passing, damn I m gonna miss his voice. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    The first time i heard All Night Thing.  That's my favorite memory

and Summer '94 hearing Superunknown blast at an outdoor party. Memory stuck with me.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,938
    emjot said:

Emjot... remember how we got those posters and some picks. My favourite memory was when chris saw my matt fuckin cameron t-shirt and asked me for it in the middle of the gig and held it in the sky for everyone to see. Then i realised i was topless at a gog.(ive always been very self concious of my body and there i was no shirt on but it was ok because chris cornell had my shirt. He kindly threw it back but we all just looked at eachother as if to say wtf just happened. That soundgarden tour was one of my best times alive. Thanks marta and mick and all the people who made it so good. And of course chris cornell for rocking the fuck out of my favourite songs
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -