RIP Chris Cornell

1414244464753

Comments

  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 2,728
    selfishly, this one still stings.   Strangely, I have not been able to put this one past me yet. 

    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,044
    Vedd Hedd said:
    selfishly, this one still stings.   Strangely, I have not been able to put this one past me yet. 

    Not strange at all. I haven't either. Every time I'm at a venue that I saw Chris play at, I've felt extreme sadness.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 12,928
    RS65573 said:

    Josh Brolin’s eulogy from Chris Cornell’s funeral

    I waited and listened, and suddenly I heard a faint chirp back down in the brush. There he was! Wanting very much to be rescued. Little green birds that talk are the needles in the haystacks formed of needles on top of a bed of a valley of needles.

    But they sometimes chirp.”

    Can't help but think Chris was talking about himself a little here... sounds like Brolin helped him through some things and Chris enjoyed his support and friendship
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 3,287
    Wow.  Id forgotten about his association with Eleven 
    ISO:  2010 Hartford AP
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon WinnipegPosts: 12,120
    Wow.  Id forgotten about his association with Eleven 
    the "Canadian Chris Cornell" Ian Thornley also wrote and recorded with Alain et al. 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 503
    my2hands said:
    RS65573 said:

    Josh Brolin’s eulogy from Chris Cornell’s funeral

    I waited and listened, and suddenly I heard a faint chirp back down in the brush. There he was! Wanting very much to be rescued. Little green birds that talk are the needles in the haystacks formed of needles on top of a bed of a valley of needles.

    But they sometimes chirp.”

    Can't help but think Chris was talking about himself a little here... sounds like Brolin helped him through some things and Chris enjoyed his support and friendship
    I didn't pick up on this but I think your right. Were you a lit major?

    Our authors are musicians and we've read a lot of Chris's writing. I find it comforting to think he wrote this working thru the whys of life. 

    It is dusk and there is a bird chirping outside my window right now. 
  • MA209067MA209067 Posts: 66
    It's been just under a month, and I'm still very much in the grieving process as I'm sure most here are. I did the only thing I know, which is to write some words down for the man that meant so much to us. I put this down about a week ago. Love to all. -Matt

     "It's been three weeks since Chris Cornell took his life. It's a strange sensation to openly weep for someone who you never met personally. Although our flesh never met through a handshake, and my voice certainly didn't echo louder than the thousands of others who enthusiastically vocalized their support at the numerous Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog shows I attended, the personal effect he had on my life is more profound than ever now that he no longer roams this earth. 

        I've always had the musical taste of someone who is 12-15 years older. I love rock n' roll. I love AC/DC as much, if not more, than I love Radiohead. I love the 90's alternative scene, specifically Seattle. The "classic rock" streak that was instilled in me at an early age is thanks to my parents penchant for playing those glorious sounds in the car on whichever particular endeavor we were on at the time. I fell in love with the dark sounds of the Pacific Northwest. At a time when Nirvana was still glamorized, I carried a torch for Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell. Hark! The herald angels sing, that one can be dark, broody, mysterious, poetic, vulnerable, feminine, masculine, elegiac, damaged goods, beautiful, and broken, all while playing very, very loud. The importance of a song, a band, a lyric, a moment at a show can be misunderstood and scoffed at by folks who don't share the same gene. It takes about two sentences of trying to explain the sensation to someone who doesn't get it before the quizzical look and confounding questions start to roll in. It hits you or it doesn't. One person's treasure is another person's opportunity to look at their phone. This is why I usually go to concerts alone. (No offense to past girlfriends). 

         Soundgarden was an enigma in the Seattle scene. They carried a torch for the big bands of the 70's as well as the punk bands that actively despised that same 70's bloat. Chris had long hair, took his shirt off onstage, had one of the most glorious, scorch-of-the-earth, brutalizing voices that rock n' roll has ever heard. The way he swooped in over the heavy minor chords that Kim played, while Matt and Ben not only held down the rhythm, but built a foundation sturdy enough for him to swing a wrecking ball at without knocking the house down, was beauty incarnate. To scream WHILE singing, that was his genius. The ability to safely land the entire operation on the runway while piloting a plane that was built to crash. It was majestic. Genre? No, they were simply themselves. The natural thing for someone with his talent to do in the 80's would've been to follow the prototype laid down by the hair metal scene and sing about getting laid and having fun. Instead he brooded about depression, isolation, and the existential void, matching the heaviness of his band's music with equally heavy prose. There would be no girls dancing on the hood of a car in Soundgarden videos. 

        Even in this post-mortem time, it's a shame how underrated Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, and Down on the Upside are in the rock n' roll pantheon. They're heavy, they're melodic, they're unapologetically bad ass. As in, fuck shoulder pads and post-patterns, THIS is pure masculine artistic expression. Machismo is often looked down upon for good reason, but in this case, it should be in a museum. It's art. It's beautiful. It's aggressive. Deal with it. 

        The lyrics were composed of twilight-twentieth-century melancholy. "Candles burning yesterday. Somebody's best friend died." "The words you say, never seem to live up to the ones inside your head. The lives we make, never seem to ever get us anywhere but dead" "Just when everyday seemed to greet me with a smile, sunspots have faded, now I'm doing time....sure don't mind a change" "If you live you can fall to pieces, and suffer with my ghost." "Fear is strong, and love's for everyone who isn't me." The most haunting being "To live like a murder, but to die, just like suicide." There was a profound sadness that permeated his songs. He was in touch with the human condition; acutely aware of the mess that we dwell in. It's an affliction that so many feel, and the reason that his words, and the musical accompaniment that came along with them, resonated so deeply with millions. 

        Unless you've dealt with depression personally, suicide probably plays as foreign and immature. It faces off against our inherent desire to live. It's unnatural until you've felt the deep, all encompassing, mental and physical squeeze that is depression. The ideation of a pain-free existence seems so freeing that one will do the unthinkable. If you don't understand it, consider yourself lucky. You're not special, you're simply able to exist without the burden of that blanketed black ooze that drowns even the most intelligent, inspiring, and beautiful of our species. You're not allowed to enjoy the great art that is manifested through the grappling with the inherent- nothingness of life and then scoff when that same nothingness takes over the artist. Say thank you and be thankful. 

    "No one sings like you anymore". They never will. RIP beautiful soul. You were a dark prince, and your voice provided vitality to rock n' roll fans everywhere. With love forever."

  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Pompano Beach, FloridaPosts: 10,378
    ^This was perfect. Thank you.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16


  • THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    MA209067 said:
    It's been just under a month, and I'm still very much in the grieving process as I'm sure most here are. I did the only thing I know, which is to write some words down for the man that meant so much to us. I put this down about a week ago. Love to all. -Matt

     "It's been three weeks since Chris Cornell took his life. It's a strange sensation to openly weep for someone who you never met personally. Although our flesh never met through a handshake, and my voice certainly didn't echo louder than the thousands of others who enthusiastically vocalized their support at the numerous Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog shows I attended, the personal effect he had on my life is more profound than ever now that he no longer roams this earth. 

        I've always had the musical taste of someone who is 12-15 years older. I love rock n' roll. I love AC/DC as much, if not more, than I love Radiohead. I love the 90's alternative scene, specifically Seattle. The "classic rock" streak that was instilled in me at an early age is thanks to my parents penchant for playing those glorious sounds in the car on whichever particular endeavor we were on at the time. I fell in love with the dark sounds of the Pacific Northwest. At a time when Nirvana was still glamorized, I carried a torch for Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell. Hark! The herald angels sing, that one can be dark, broody, mysterious, poetic, vulnerable, feminine, masculine, elegiac, damaged goods, beautiful, and broken, all while playing very, very loud. The importance of a song, a band, a lyric, a moment at a show can be misunderstood and scoffed at by folks who don't share the same gene. It takes about two sentences of trying to explain the sensation to someone who doesn't get it before the quizzical look and confounding questions start to roll in. It hits you or it doesn't. One person's treasure is another person's opportunity to look at their phone. This is why I usually go to concerts alone. (No offense to past girlfriends). 

         Soundgarden was an enigma in the Seattle scene. They carried a torch for the big bands of the 70's as well as the punk bands that actively despised that same 70's bloat. Chris had long hair, took his shirt off onstage, had one of the most glorious, scorch-of-the-earth, brutalizing voices that rock n' roll has ever heard. The way he swooped in over the heavy minor chords that Kim played, while Matt and Ben not only held down the rhythm, but built a foundation sturdy enough for him to swing a wrecking ball at without knocking the house down, was beauty incarnate. To scream WHILE singing, that was his genius. The ability to safely land the entire operation on the runway while piloting a plane that was built to crash. It was majestic. Genre? No, they were simply themselves. The natural thing for someone with his talent to do in the 80's would've been to follow the prototype laid down by the hair metal scene and sing about getting laid and having fun. Instead he brooded about depression, isolation, and the existential void, matching the heaviness of his band's music with equally heavy prose. There would be no girls dancing on the hood of a car in Soundgarden videos. 

        Even in this post-mortem time, it's a shame how underrated Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, and Down on the Upside are in the rock n' roll pantheon. They're heavy, they're melodic, they're unapologetically bad ass. As in, fuck shoulder pads and post-patterns, THIS is pure masculine artistic expression. Machismo is often looked down upon for good reason, but in this case, it should be in a museum. It's art. It's beautiful. It's aggressive. Deal with it. 

        The lyrics were composed of twilight-twentieth-century melancholy. "Candles burning yesterday. Somebody's best friend died." "The words you say, never seem to live up to the ones inside your head. The lives we make, never seem to ever get us anywhere but dead" "Just when everyday seemed to greet me with a smile, sunspots have faded, now I'm doing time....sure don't mind a change" "If you live you can fall to pieces, and suffer with my ghost." "Fear is strong, and love's for everyone who isn't me." The most haunting being "To live like a murder, but to die, just like suicide." There was a profound sadness that permeated his songs. He was in touch with the human condition; acutely aware of the mess that we dwell in. It's an affliction that so many feel, and the reason that his words, and the musical accompaniment that came along with them, resonated so deeply with millions. 

        Unless you've dealt with depression personally, suicide probably plays as foreign and immature. It faces off against our inherent desire to live. It's unnatural until you've felt the deep, all encompassing, mental and physical squeeze that is depression. The ideation of a pain-free existence seems so freeing that one will do the unthinkable. If you don't understand it, consider yourself lucky. You're not special, you're simply able to exist without the burden of that blanketed black ooze that drowns even the most intelligent, inspiring, and beautiful of our species. You're not allowed to enjoy the great art that is manifested through the grappling with the inherent- nothingness of life and then scoff when that same nothingness takes over the artist. Say thank you and be thankful. 

    "No one sings like you anymore". They never will. RIP beautiful soul. You were a dark prince, and your voice provided vitality to rock n' roll fans everywhere. With love forever."

    Well said!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UKPosts: 456
    Like many people I just can't process the passing of this great musician...always a constant on my CD player and a companion in many difficult times. He's left a lasting legacy lyrically and musically ...and I'll greatly miss what he would have created in the future. A true artist...a tragic end...the music will never die.
  • Edved82Edved82 IrelandPosts: 868
    Spinning some of my favourite Soundgarden and Audioslave songs at the moment. Not sure if I will ever get over this loss fully. Thinking about it a lot. Don't really have the words for it but it's part of the process, I guess.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 503
    The ability to safely land the entire operation on the runway while piloting a plane that was built to crash. It was majestic. 

    Thats beautiful man. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 3,287
    Forgot how amazing that first Audioslave record is. 
    ISO:  2010 Hartford AP
  • mfc2006mfc2006 PDX--->KCPosts: 30,095
    edited June 18
    Forgot how amazing that first Audioslave record is. 
    It is so damn good.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ZodZod Posts: 5,281
    .
    .

    Forgot how amazing that first Audioslave record is. 
    I remember when it sounded like they weren't going to go forward as a band and someone leaked out the demos (when they were still call civilian).  I loved those demos from the first listen, and played the shit out of them (and the Audioslave cd when it came out).   Many albums have to grown on me, but audioslave's first album... loved it from the first listen.
  • MA209067MA209067 Posts: 66
    RS65573 said:
    The ability to safely land the entire operation on the runway while piloting a plane that was built to crash. It was majestic. 

    Thats beautiful man. 
    Thank you. They were such an unbelievable band. 
  • MA209067MA209067 Posts: 66
    ^This was perfect. Thank you.
    Cheers. Long may he run. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 18,452
    Been thinking about CC, plus my own father, and love and loss in general.  What people mean to us, randomly, constantly.  How we give and receive love in life and in death.

    One month gone and can only imagine what it must be like for his family, on this Father's Day.

    My heart is with them, and with the rest of us missing.........those painfully missed.

  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 533
    Forgot how amazing that first Audioslave record is. 
    It really is pretty much perfect. Such an important album at that time. Out of Exile is the one I probably connected with the most, but the first one is the one I've listened to the most since Chris passed. Along with Higher Truth, which I love. 

    It's certainly still painful at times to listen just as a fan, but obviously nothing compared to those who knew and loved him. My thoughts are still with them.

    During the past month, I've been feeling less shock and more gratitude that this great man left so much behind. Some who live twice as long don't accomplish what he did. I hope his loved ones can take some comfort in knowing how much his music still means to others, and I truly hope that his music and memory lives on happily in their hearts.  
    There are two types of people in the world - those who love Pearl Jam, and those who don't know that they love Pearl Jam.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,470
    I hope some day I can return to his music, right now it just makes me feel unbearably sad.  I saw Guns 'n' Roses on saturday and as soon as they started playing their cover of Black Hole Sun it hit me like a ton of bricks.....

    ah, it still feels so unreal - it's making me question everything, should I really be making music such a priority in my life?  When someone so seemingly dependable checks out like that, it shows how incredibly fragile life really is.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance Posts: 16,470
    mfc2006 said:
    Forgot how amazing that first Audioslave record is. 
    It is so damn good.
    Really is. Every song. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon WinnipegPosts: 12,120
    heartbreaking:

    Daddy,

    Let me start by saying how much I love you and how much you mean to me. You are my idol, someone I’ve always looked up to. You were always there for me. You pushed me forward every day, and you still do.

    Whenever I cry or feel like there’s no way I can go on, I hear your voice, “Don’t sit worrying peanut. Worry is a waste of time, I’m ok.”

    I always took what you said to heart. Probably because everything you said was so smart.
    Every time you came home from tour you spent all your hours with us. No matter how tired you were, how many time zones you traveled, you were there for us.

    Whenever I was sick you would take care of me. You would cuddle with me, hug me, kiss me. You didn’t care about getting sick. You would stay up all night to make sure my fever went down. And if it didn’t, you would wake me up and give me my medicine. I would open my eyes, see you, and feel better.

    I have so many memories with you but one of my favorite ones was earlier this year when I was jetlagged and we watched ‘Purple Rain ‘. We were staying at the BHH and you came into my room when I was trying to find a movie to watch.

    “How about Purple Rain?” you said. I always trusted your judgement. I put it on and immediately fell in love! We then got to your favorite song, ‘The Beautiful Ones’.

    “This song is so special it doesn’t even belong in a genre. When I was in my twenties, I saw this in the theatre and some guy started cracking up laughing at this scene and song. It got me really mad, ” you said.

    I fell in love with the song too and listened to it on repeat.

    Our special connection was always the arts. Poems, books, music, writing. We both have a unconditional love for it.

    Who’s going to introduce me to movies like ‘Purple Rain’ and songs like ‘The Beautiful Ones’ now?

    I’m hoping I will find some because you trained me so well.

    I know you are still here, and the warmth I feel beneath the cold, is you.

    YOU ARE THE BEST FATHER IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. And I know, that if this wasn’t an accident, you’d still be cuddling with me watching ‘Purple Rain’.

    I love you and miss you so, Daddy. You deserve your own day to be celebrated because you are the best dad anyone could ever have. Happy Father’s Day!

    Love,
    Your Baby Toni

  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,059
    heartbreaking:

    Daddy,

    Let me start by saying how much I love you and how much you mean to me. You are my idol, someone I’ve always looked up to. You were always there for me. You pushed me forward every day, and you still do.

    Whenever I cry or feel like there’s no way I can go on, I hear your voice, “Don’t sit worrying peanut. Worry is a waste of time, I’m ok.”

    I always took what you said to heart. Probably because everything you said was so smart.
    Every time you came home from tour you spent all your hours with us. No matter how tired you were, how many time zones you traveled, you were there for us.

    Whenever I was sick you would take care of me. You would cuddle with me, hug me, kiss me. You didn’t care about getting sick. You would stay up all night to make sure my fever went down. And if it didn’t, you would wake me up and give me my medicine. I would open my eyes, see you, and feel better.

    I have so many memories with you but one of my favorite ones was earlier this year when I was jetlagged and we watched ‘Purple Rain ‘. We were staying at the BHH and you came into my room when I was trying to find a movie to watch.

    “How about Purple Rain?” you said. I always trusted your judgement. I put it on and immediately fell in love! We then got to your favorite song, ‘The Beautiful Ones’.

    “This song is so special it doesn’t even belong in a genre. When I was in my twenties, I saw this in the theatre and some guy started cracking up laughing at this scene and song. It got me really mad, ” you said.

    I fell in love with the song too and listened to it on repeat.

    Our special connection was always the arts. Poems, books, music, writing. We both have a unconditional love for it.

    Who’s going to introduce me to movies like ‘Purple Rain’ and songs like ‘The Beautiful Ones’ now?

    I’m hoping I will find some because you trained me so well.

    I know you are still here, and the warmth I feel beneath the cold, is you.

    YOU ARE THE BEST FATHER IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. And I know, that if this wasn’t an accident, you’d still be cuddling with me watching ‘Purple Rain’.

    I love you and miss you so, Daddy. You deserve your own day to be celebrated because you are the best dad anyone could ever have. Happy Father’s Day!

    Love,
    Your Baby Toni


    Wow! I cant even think of anything else to say to that letter. I cant even begin to imagine how tough this has been for the family. It still hasn't even sunk in with the fans! Thanks for sharing.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon WinnipegPosts: 12,120

    heartbreaking part 2:


    “Papa,

    A couple summers ago we were biking around Central Park and you told me that there aren’t many truly good people in the world, but that I was one of the few. You always had such firm confidence and pride in what I did, and your warmth and love inspired me to do my best. Now more than ever, I want to live my life to help others as you did. I want to continue to make you proud. Toni, C and I promise to survive, persevere and thrive, as we’ve always done. I’m so proud to be your baby, I love you more than words can say and I will miss you forever.

    Your ladybug,
    Lily.”



  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,059
    edited June 20

    heartbreaking part 2:


    “Papa,

    A couple summers ago we were biking around Central Park and you told me that there aren’t many truly good people in the world, but that I was one of the few. You always had such firm confidence and pride in what I did, and your warmth and love inspired me to do my best. Now more than ever, I want to live my life to help others as you did. I want to continue to make you proud. Toni, C and I promise to survive, persevere and thrive, as we’ve always done. I’m so proud to be your baby, I love you more than words can say and I will miss you forever.

    Your ladybug,
    Lily.”




    I can only imagine that the road to recovery and healing for the family is going to be a long one. Most of us here are not over this loss, and will probably never be able to wrap our heads around it. I sure haven't been able to.
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 18,452
    Wow.  Not just heartbreaking, but tear-inducing as well.

    Damn.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon WinnipegPosts: 12,120
    hedonist said:
    Wow.  Not just heartbreaking, but tear-inducing as well.

    Damn.
    I think my coworkers are probably getting used to the sound of kleenex being pulled out of the box. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon WinnipegPosts: 12,120
    some of my favourite pictures are of my and my daughters at that age. so much love, such purity. that pic hit me hard. 
Sign In or Register to comment.