RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:
    Not trying to be rude, but can people just stop with the speculative guessing about what happened, especially as it relates to the "misadventure" comments. Speculating it was an accident is one thing, but taking it beyond that is disrespectful and unnecessary. I don't get why anyone would bring up such things. It's gossip unless something comes out otherwise. Have some respect. We're all obviously at a loss and looking for an answer, but unless we ever get one, these speculations are no better than that random stranger writer who tried to point out there were all these signs Chris exhibited during the concert that night.

Not everyone shares your opinion.  It's that simple.
    Thanks for reiterating my point, it's your opinion on his death. Leave it to your personal conversations. This thread is for mourning, remembering and celebrating the brilliant artist Chris was, not for people to bring their conspiracy theories and speculation around his death.
    Some people like to discuss things.  That's all.  There's a lot to think about, digest, and discuss.  As long as it's done respectfully I don't see any reason to stifle honest, respectful discourse.  

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    Can we be respectful, who cares about money or bad timing, someone lost their life. What is wrong with you?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    3days said:
    I don't have the experience or the knowledge of Ativan that some people have, and I'm not writing this to demonize it's usage. 

I took prescribed Ativan 3 times, over 1 week, about 10 years ago, to get through an important presentation. I took two small doses to see how it would affect me first, in the days leading up to the presentation. The day of, I took the fullest prescribed amount, 2 pills (can't remember the dosage). I felt confident based on the test runs earlier in the week.

The presentation went well, and I went home an hour afterward much relieved. Then things started to go bad. I began to feel increasingly rotten (mentally and physically). I felt cold all over, which makes sense. Lots of bad memories began to seep into my head; some were from childhood, and I hadn't thought about them in years. I was almost drunken drowsy, irrationally irritable and depressed. So, I went to bed (in the afternoon) angry, and with tears in my eyes.

I woke up 3 to 4 hours later foggy, but with a completely different attitude. I wasn't depressed, I wasn't sad, I wasn't angry, and I was glad that the presentation was successful. I had dinner, and had a pleasant evening. 

Needless to say, I decided that Ativan wasn't right for me.I guess I'm writing this as a caution. Despite having a good night's sleep, and experimenting per Dr's instruction, I had a bad experience with it. Doesn't mean that everyone does, or that it isn't useful, but be please be careful.

Mind and mood altering drugs can be very powerful and dangerous... especially one's made in a lab
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    tbergs said:
    Not trying to be rude, but can people just stop with the speculative guessing about what happened, especially as it relates to the "misadventure" comments. Speculating it was an accident is one thing, but taking it beyond that is disrespectful and unnecessary. I don't get why anyone would bring up such things. It's gossip unless something comes out otherwise. Have some respect. We're all obviously at a loss and looking for an answer, but unless we ever get one, these speculations are no better than that random stranger writer who tried to point out there were all these signs Chris exhibited during the concert that night.

I agree 100%.

“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    So I've had a few days to look back, listen to some tunes, and reflect on the unexpected passing of Chris Cornell.  I've never really been into Soundgarden as most of you are, the only album I had was Superunknown.  I couldn't name an Audioslave song if someone was waving a billion dollars in front of me.  And the only solo songs I know are Seasons (which is absolutely beautiful!) and Can't Change Me. I'm probably most familiar with Temple of the Dog, which is an absolutely stellar album.

So I have listened to Superunknown, Down on the Upside, A-Sides, TOTD, and the Mad Season/Seattle Symphony this weekend.  I found a really awesome video where he performed the lyrics of Metallica's One to the music of U2's One.  Amazing!  I've just been listening and kinda taking it all in, see where my mind goes.  One of the first thoughts I had took me back to when I first saw the video for Outshined.  "Looking California but feeling Minnesota."  That line always got me.  It's a fun little way of saying I feel like shit but at least I look good.  But then it got me thinking.  Looking California. Feeling Minnesota.  Sunny and warm on the outside, cold and dead on the inside.  Things on the inside aren't always what they seem on the surface, and it came full circle.  That must've been how Mr. Cornell was feeling Wednesday night, I thought.  He wrote this song 26 years ago.  Half his life ago.  And if he's been dealing with those inner demons all that time, I can't even imagine how he felt inside.

For some reason, his death feels different than Cobain's, Staley's, or Weiland's.  I didn't really know of Andy Wood until afterwards, but I imagine this still feels different.  I guess, maybe (and there's no way to say this without sounding insensitive) I was less surprised by the others given their public perception and patterns of behavior.  Chris Cornell feels more like Robin Williams.  Out of nowhere, unexpected, surprising, seemed to have a great life surrounded by great people.  Depression, anxiety.  They're motherfuckers.  Since Robin Williams, I've been trying to understand more about depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc and be more compassionate to those who suffer from any of them.  Years ago I used to belong to the "what a selfish thing to do" camp but fortunately have since learned that is just plain wrong.

Anyway, just kinda rambling right now as I'm still not quite sure how to take this. If anything, at least it's opening me up to listen to more of his music. Which is all he ever wanted to give us!

RIP Chris Cornell.  Many hearts and thoughts to the Cornell family, friends, and the entire Seattle music family.  You've all suffered entirely too much through the years.
    So I've had a few days to look back, listen to some tunes, and reflect on the unexpected passing of Chris Cornell.  I've never really been into Soundgarden as most of you are, the only album I had was Superunknown.  I couldn't name an Audioslave song if someone was waving a billion dollars in front of me.  And the only solo songs I know are Seasons (which is absolutely beautiful!) and Can't Change Me. I'm probably most familiar with Temple of the Dog, which is an absolutely stellar album.

So I have listened to Superunknown, Down on the Upside, A-Sides, TOTD, and the Mad Season/Seattle Symphony this weekend.  I found a really awesome video where he performed the lyrics of Metallica's One to the music of U2's One.  Amazing!  I've just been listening and kinda taking it all in, see where my mind goes.  One of the first thoughts I had took me back to when I first saw the video for Outshined.  "Looking California but feeling Minnesota."  That line always got me.  It's a fun little way of saying I feel like shit but at least I look good.  But then it got me thinking.  Looking California. Feeling Minnesota.  Sunny and warm on the outside, cold and dead on the inside.  Things on the inside aren't always what they seem on the surface, and it came full circle.  That must've been how Mr. Cornell was feeling Wednesday night, I thought.  He wrote this song 26 years ago.  Half his life ago.  And if he's been dealing with those inner demons all that time, I can't even imagine how he felt inside.

For some reason, his death feels different than Cobain's, Staley's, or Weiland's.  I didn't really know of Andy Wood until afterwards, but I imagine this still feels different.  I guess, maybe (and there's no way to say this without sounding insensitive) I was less surprised by the others given their public perception and patterns of behavior.  Chris Cornell feels more like Robin Williams.  Out of nowhere, unexpected, surprising, seemed to have a great life surrounded by great people.  Depression, anxiety.  They're motherfuckers.  Since Robin Williams, I've been trying to understand more about depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc and be more compassionate to those who suffer from any of them.  Years ago I used to belong to the "what a selfish thing to do" camp but fortunately have since learned that is just plain wrong.

Anyway, just kinda rambling right now as I'm still not quite sure how to take this. If anything, at least it's opening me up to listen to more of his music. Which is all he ever wanted to give us!

RIP Chris Cornell.  Many hearts and thoughts to the Cornell family, friends, and the entire Seattle music family.  You've all suffered entirely too much through the years.
    One of the best posts I've had the pleasure of reading, ever. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited May 2017
    Shots fired at Eddie...

That said, this is good.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

All I can do is listen to his music. I just can't watch a performance without welling up with tears. 

I agree with HesCalledDyer - this seems so much different than Layne or Cobain.

The fact that to all of us, it seemed so unexpected and out of the blue.

Above all, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. And to all of us, his friends whom he never met. 
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    I've been wrestling with this for the past few days.  It's just so sad and senseless.
    Here's a guy with everything going for him and he couldn't make it, how do any of us have a chance?  It's hard to rationalize this or understand this no matter what your worldview is.  Here's a guy who's experienced the highest of highs - stuff I'll never experience.  Having thousands cheer you and your bands, being beloved by thousands - That stuff I'll never experience.  Chris had that and more.  So sad.  I don't mean to be negative, I'm just still really upset.  I hope someday we can hear of some good that came out of this.
    Stay Strong out there.
    Chris.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    I've been wrestling with this for the past few days.  It's just so sad and senseless.
    Here's a guy with everything going for him and he couldn't make it, how do any of us have a chance?  It's hard to rationalize this or understand this no matter what your worldview is.  Here's a guy who's experienced the highest of highs - stuff I'll never experience.  Having thousands cheer you and your bands, being beloved by thousands - That stuff I'll never experience.  Chris had that and more.  So sad.  I don't mean to be negative, I'm just still really upset.  I hope someday we can hear of some good that came out of this.
    Stay Strong out there.
    Chris.

Perhaps it's the person's outlook that dictates how much of a 'chance' they have? I know people who have much less than your average American (let alone your average rock star) that live totally fulfilled and happy lives. Just because almost all of us will never lead that sort of mega-fulfilled (in theory) lifestyle, does not mean we can't find happiness and get through our battles (both big and small). This is just a really, terribly sad outcome to a seemingly fulfilled life.

• StixumStixum Chicago, IL Posts: 32
    A very moving post, eh.  I hope the coming days give you some peace.  It's been a tough week for so many.

I've read every single post in this thread so far and I can't remember the last time I ever saw more love and pain all bundled up together in one place before.  That  says quite a lot right there. 
    +1
    I've spent a lot of time on here lately; I'm thankful for this community, both in good times and bad.
    2009 - Chicago
    2010 - NY 2
    2012 - Music Midtown
    2013 - Charlotte, LA 1, LA 2, Wrigley
    2014 - St Louis, ACL Fest 2
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Columbia, Ottawa, Toronto, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, San Fran 2 (TOTD), LA (TOTD)
    2017 - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018 - London 1, London 2, Padova, Seattle 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2021 - Ohana 1
    2022 - Las Vegas, Nashville, St. Louis
    2023 - St. Paul 1, St. Paul 2, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Noblesville
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    That's a great video. Love the casual feel and effortless performance.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • asgoodasedasgoodased Posts: 109
    Haven't posted here in many years, but got back on cause I felt like I needed to be a part of it. Really appreciate everyone's posts here. Helps to see others with the same feelings. I posted my thoughts and memories here, not that there's much meaning to any of it. I hope this thread continues. I just don't want people to forget him and all the incredible things he made.
    I am right by your side...
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    Stay Strong out there.
    Chris.
    It's not about "having everything going for you." It's about being sick in the head. Mental illness is no joke.

everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    On a cobweb afternoon
    In a room full of emptiness
    By a freeway I confess
    I was lost in the pages
    Of a book full of death
    Reading how we'll die alone
    And if we're good, we'll lay to rest
    Anywhere we want to go
    In your house I long to be
    Room by room patiently
    I'll wait for you there
    Like a stone
    I'll wait for you there
    Alone
    On my deathbed I will pray
    To the gods and the angels
    Like a pagan to anyone
    Who will take me to heaven
    To a place I recall
    I was there so long ago
    The sky was bruised
    The wine was bled
    And there you led me on
    Room by room patiently
    I'll wait for you there
    Like a stone
    I'll wait for you there
    Alone
    Alone
    And on I read
    Until the day was gone
    And I sat in regret
    Of all the things I've done
    For all that I've blessed
    And all that I've wronged
    In dreams until my death
    I will wander on
    Room by room patiently
    I'll wait for you there
    Like a stone
    I'll wait for you there
    Alone
    Alone
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Stay Strong out there.
    Chris.
    none of that means anything. it's all what's inside. memories of your highs aren't enough to get you through your lows. only faith in your future highs can do that. many of us lose that faith along the way, but hopefully we can persevere enough through it until we suddenly realize the valley is behind us.......
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:

Not everyone shares your opinion.  It's that simple.
    Thanks for reiterating my point, it's your opinion on his death. Leave it to your personal conversations. This thread is for mourning, remembering and celebrating the brilliant artist Chris was, not for people to bring their conspiracy theories and speculation around his death.
    my apologies if i offended earlier. it was sincerely not my intent. just trying to process it, and just grasping at straws to make sense of it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

was doing semi-ok until i came back to this thread. in tears again. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    I was at the U2 concerts last night at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and Bono spoke about Chris Cornell. He said what made it such a tragedy was that Chris was so close to beating his demons. He had fought addiction for years and seemed to have conquerered, yet only to fall so close to the end. I agree. He had a loving wife and great kids, friends, and was creating great music solo and with Temple/ Soundgarden. He reached a place where he had freedom and I guess it wasn't enough. He had come so close....
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    Thanks to the person that posted the SNL clip. Awesome. 
    Away with work so tried not to listen yesterday but kept going back to it. 

However a new light today. Call me a dog on songbook just reverberates. Starting to celebrate again in his music. 

• I bought this sweet Altec Lansing blue tooth speaker that came with a bike attachment.

My buddies and I cranked Soundgarden for the duration of a 14km ride on our mountain bikes.

Awesome. 

I'm shook over this incident too, but I'll honour this guy's any chance I can. Soundgarden was a big part of my life and Cornell made my experience on this earth better with his efforts.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    mace1229 said:
    Took this tragedy to finally get a few more solo albums I've been meaning to get.. one being Songbook. Looked for it on vinyl, was selling 5 days ago for $35, now its $135. I saw a rumor they are being repressed, anyone know if that is true?
    Got a digital version, and am kicking myself not not listening to it for the last 5 years.
    You should track down the live in sweden bootleg.   It was an acoustic radio station set that cornell did, that was broadcast on FM radio in Sweden.   It basically jumpstarted that solo acoustic touring career that soundbook came from.  It's an amazing recording and is widely circulated.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Was happy to get my copies of this in the mail today! Giving it an immediate, memorial spin.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    edited May 2017
    Doing mindless busy work today I found myself wondering what it must have been like for him trapped in that room and walking around looking for something to kill himself with. Did he plan it?  Did he just hang up the phone and say thats it, now how am I going to do this? Or did he pack the exercise band knowing what he was going to do, but not sure when?  My head is so fucked up with trying to wrap my head around what the fuck happened.  His personality gave us these all these amazing songs and all of these beautiful feelings.  And now its gone.

One thing about life, it never stays the same.  The "galaxy of impermanence" which I just read about tells me to let the things that should come to me come and the things i don't need go. The problem with this situation is I was not ready for that bright light to go, hence the dark thoughts and feeling of sadness and even anger that this has happened "to me".
    As we know nothing has happened to me that hasn't just happened to all of us.  But it's personal.  

People mentioned Kurt.  Sad yes.  Was I surprised? No.  This took me by total surprise.  Shit, I'm crying again....
    Post edited by Sprunkn7 on
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    A couple of photos from the show in Detroit.  I still can't believe that Chris is gone.  The show was phenomenal.  My fifth Soundgarden show.  
    This one hurts real bad.

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    On a cobweb afternoon
    In a room full of emptiness
    By a freeway I confess
    I was lost in the pages
    Of a book full of death
    Reading how we'll die alone
    And if we're good, we'll lay to rest
    Anywhere we want to go
    Room by room patiently