Is America the greatest country in the world?

12346»

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BCPosts: 5,606
    Yeah.  We're the nuts.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 12,429
    Playing poker the other day with a guy from Vietnam... great guy... someone said they would love to visit Vietnam and asked if he ever goes back to visit... he said "fuck no... America is the best place in the world, believe me"

His family owns a business and his son is a college student

I do LOVE that about America, the idealism of the shining beacon on a hill... 
  • pljampljam Posts: 320
    American's are as patriotic as you can get and that is admirable,our nightly news here in Australia certainly paints an image of a place that is far from the best country in the world,drugs ,violence,unemployment,political unease ,homelessness are forever the story on any given night
    Melbourne Australia was voted most liveable city two year's running or two out of three just recently but the issues of major concern listed above in America are probably ten fold here in Australia especially Melbourne as per capita,I have never been to America but one day would love to but if one was to focus on your what our news displays I think it would keep people away
    Australian image I am sure sells our country to be the place to live but I assure you it has its major issues but mostly great people ,I am sure it's the same in the U.S 
    They certainly have the best music/ bands on the planet
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OHPosts: 1,650

Hacksaw says yes
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer MarylandPosts: 8,318
    pljam said:
    American's are as patriotic as you can get and that is admirable,our nightly news here in Australia certainly paints an image of a place that is far from the best country in the world,drugs ,violence,unemployment,political unease ,homelessness are forever the story on any given night
    Melbourne Australia was voted most liveable city two year's running or two out of three just recently but the issues of major concern listed above in America are probably ten fold here in Australia especially Melbourne as per capita,I have never been to America but one day would love to but if one was to focus on your what our news displays I think it would keep people away
    Australian image I am sure sells our country to be the place to live but I assure you it has its major issues but mostly great people ,I am sure it's the same in the U.S 
    They certainly have the best music/ bands on the planet
    I'm pretty sure you'll find those problems in most developed countries these days.  They may vary in severity but all the same issues are there.  I think the big problem with the United States is that for the last century we have tried to police the entire globe under the guise of ending tyranny and spreading freedom.  Has it been necessary? At times, I'd say yes (World War II, e.g.) but mostly we should probably just keep our nose out of other peoples' & countries' business.  It's all about resources.  Who has what we want and how are we gonna take it from them so we can continue being the mighty eagle.

We also elected the biggest fucking idiot on the planet to run our country, so that should tell you how well we're doing in education.

And by the way, Aussies have some great musicians/bands as well!  My collections of Australian artists is constantly expanding.
  • dignindignin Posts: 4,832
    edited June 1
    A dark and shameful day in the history of the US.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 2,212
    No, we just dropped to 199th. Right ahead of Syria and Nicaragua. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dignindignin Posts: 4,832
    tbergs said:
    Nicaragua didn't sign on to the Paris agreement because it wasn't aggressive enough. 

Don’t compare Trump’s Paris decision to Nicaragua’s — they’ve embraced renewable energy: Analysis

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/06/01/dont-compare-trumps-paris-decision-to-nicaraguas-theyve-embraced-renewable-energy-analysis.html

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 19,641
    OP, maybe time to edit your thread heading?  We've already determined America is not a country.

The U.S. is an enigma.  It's the best of places and the worst of places.  You can't really put a single label on if... even if inclined to do so.  As soon as you try to define it, the definition falls apart or is argued over infinitely.  And even if you could pin it down to one thing, it changes and becomes something else.  Voila!
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    M.I.T.S.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 2,212
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    Nicaragua didn't sign on to the Paris agreement because it wasn't aggressive enough. 

Don’t compare Trump’s Paris decision to Nicaragua’s — they’ve embraced renewable energy: Analysis

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/06/01/dont-compare-trumps-paris-decision-to-nicaraguas-theyve-embraced-renewable-energy-analysis.html

You're right. My apologies to Nicaragua. We're tied with Syria.
    It's a hopeless situation...
12346»