Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Annafalk said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Glad my hard earned tax dollars are being put to good use bombing children with remote controls 

Well done
    But you still think it's the greatest country?
    Never said it was the greatest, and i'm very aware of my countries downfalls, thank you very much

Dude, you fucking obsess about America. Do you wake up ranting about the evil USA? Good lord
    I think this thread concerns America. I might be wrong though. English is not my first language.
    And you have 20 pages worth of "America sucks!" posts. We get it bud, the horse is dead 
    And if America sucks so bad, why do some people here spend so much of their day trying to convince people that it does?  Compensation, validation?  Sweden doesn’t suck, but my impression by the representatives here is that the people there sure do.
    We may have some crappy things that happen here, but we sure as hell are generous:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/america-new-zealand-and-canada-top-list-of-world-s-most-generous-nations-a6849221.html
     :| it's ok if you think so, but please don't judge an entire population from two or three
    people.
    I have two extended family members (Americans in graduate school there) in Sweden and they tell me all kinds of wonderful things about that country!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Glad my hard earned tax dollars are being put to good use bombing children with remote controls 

Well done
    Never said it was the greatest, and i'm very aware of my countries downfalls, thank you very much

Dude, you fucking obsess about America. Do you wake up ranting about the evil USA? Good lord
    I think this thread concerns America. I might be wrong though. English is not my first language.
    And you have 20 pages worth of "America sucks!" posts. We get it bud, the horse is dead 
    And if America sucks so bad, why do some people here spend so much of their day trying to convince people that it does?  Compensation, validation?  Sweden doesn’t suck, but my impression by the representatives here is that the people there sure do.
    We may have some crappy things that happen here, but we sure as hell are generous:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/america-new-zealand-and-canada-top-list-of-world-s-most-generous-nations-a6849221.html
     :| it's ok if you think so, but please don't judge an entire population from two or three
    people.
    I have two extended family members (Americans in graduate school there) in Sweden and they tell me all kinds of wonderful things about that country!
    Fucking commies
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    mfc2006 said:
    Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. I just can’t believe it.

They haven’t caught them yet, but he and his girlfriend filed a report from the hospital.
    Hope he get some better soon and those idiots get what’s coming to them 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Sweden is a lovely country I met lovely people there. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    My friend is doing ok. Just talked to him. No luck on the police front yet.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mfc2006 said:
    Portland, of all places.  What is this world coming to?
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited November 2018
    mfc2006 said:
    Good to hear your friend is doing better.
     Idiots like that attacking innocent people must get caught.

Thank you brianlux and lastexitlondon for your kindness.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    for some posters here, this question is the equivalent to your spouse asking you if her ass looks fat in these jeans. 

*scans brain for perfect answer.....no answer found......RUUUUUNNNNN!!!!*
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    for some posters here, this question is the equivalent to your spouse asking you if her ass looks fat in these jeans. 

Wrong...

This thread is equivalent to obsessing about your spouses faults and constantly reminding them
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Wrong...

This thread is equivalent to obsessing about your spouses faults and constantly reminding them
    HAHA sure. ok. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Well done

“Must......diss.....America....today”. I definitely do not think he would be a good candidate for immigration to the USA if ever the need arose.  The Anti-American sentiment on these boards alone should be enough to revoke his passport me thinks.
    Too bad, PJ puts on some excellent shows here in the states.

Lucky me, they put on some excellent shows here in Europe.
    Better shows in Europe, by far, from what I've seen.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Wrong...

At this point, you and cincybearcat are the ones who are obsessing.
  • Options
    And your asses are completely proportional, don't you guys worry.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited November 2018
    In hospital, Removed my appendicitis. 

I wonder how much this will cost me..! How much would it cost in the greatest country in the world - U-S-A?

(If I can't pee in an hour, they will have to help me empty my blatter :O )
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I almost forgot what this thread was about.  I thought it was sort of the equivalent of a food fight.

• Options

I wonder how much this will cost me..! How much would it cost in the greatest country in the world - U-S-A?

You are dedicated, I'll give you that. Get well soon!

And maybe this will help you pee.. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzfGPiquFE
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I think it's safe to assume at this point that America gets the most criticism...maybe it's time to start a "Complaints Against America" thread.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    I think it's safe to assume at this point that America gets the most criticism...maybe it's time to start a "Complaints Against America" thread.
    Redundant 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Wishing you a speedy recovery (and pee-ability) Spiritual_Chaos!

• Options
    Redundant 
    We could go with a "what's really good about America thread" ... because there is an awful lot of good about America.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Maybe you should focus on getting well now S_C let this thread rest for a day or two, put down the phone. 
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Hope you're feeling better! 
    Here in my area, an Appendectomy (Inpatient) will cost an average of $18,750. My plan would pay $15,196 of that, leaving me $3,560 out of pocket. So I would be fucked, especially during the holidays.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    had my appendix out several years ago. in Friday night, out Saturday morning, no bills, and a week off work to boot. 

#canadarocks
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbr said:

Hope you're feeling better! 
    Here in my area, an Appendectomy (Inpatient) will cost an average of $18,750. My plan would pay $15,196 of that, leaving me $3,560 out of pocket. So I would be fucked, especially during the holidays.

Geezuz.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I would be on the hook for 6,000 out of pocket if my appendix crapped out on me today, and my premiums are around $700 a month.

Greatest country?  🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Same surgery I d pay $20 out of pocket. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Where lies the greatest city then?
    I know many who would vote for NY, haven't been there myself but I've heard many say it's the number one place to visit. They say for example being there is like walking around in a movie and other positive things.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Same surgery I d pay $20 out of pocket. 
    How'd you get it done so cheap...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I think we are, still are, but are speeding/trending towards a dark place (and have been for awhile).  Economy, culture, world influence, etc is still huge.  We have enjoyed a huge head start from the first half of the 20th century and the gifts from an amazing, hard working, fearless, (and nearly extinct) generation of Americans.  I say we are, while recognizing that other (usually smaller) nations are much better in certain categories.

A big problem, is a vast number of citizens just beat their chests and yell about how we are the greatest, thinking its all about bald eagles and army tanks... and just yelling it makes it even more true.  Any time the greatness magnitude of the USA is brought into question, its a state crime.   It was taught to us in school from an early age, but many have lost touch.  We are falling behind in innovation and education.  Refuse to improve our health care system.  People continually tolerate wanton greed and dishonesty, which is creating a giant wealth gap that will lead to ruin, not to mention all the de-regulation.  The nationalism and pulling back from the international community and progressive ideals will continue to recede our status.  So many people are voting against their own interests, the interests of a huge majority, and also getting caught up in politicians using Christianity as a weapon. 

People are convinced that the only way to improve on a category (health care, education, science, environment, etc), is to destroy any oversight of it, not get experts together and try to implement what works in other places and innovate.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Annafalk said:
    Where lies the greatest city then?
    I know many who would vote for NY, haven't been there myself but I've heard many say it's the number one place to visit. They say for example being there is like walking around in a movie and other positive things.
    The greatest city is "Small Town USA."  Too many libtards in the big cities.

(OK, done being cynical)

I've been to most cities of significance in the USA.  My favorites are San Diego, Seattle, NYC, and Boston.  San Diego is weather-related to a large extent.  Seattle is laid back, has mild temperatures, very livable.  Boston is the ultimate walking city.  NYC is the ultimate transit city and there's not much that isn't there.  I'd love to live in NYC...if I made about three times what I make now.

Greatest city in the US?  That's just as silly as determining the greatest country in the world.  But from my point of view, NYC is right there on the short list.

In the World?  Well, I haven't been to enough.  I loved Dublin, because it was a great walking city.  Favorite smallish city: Florence.  Place I really want to flee to because of impending authoritarianism: Vancouver.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.