Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    disliking a country is such a stupid idea to me anyway. how can you dislike a land mass? I dislike america's current admin, and I think their gun laws and lack of action on the atrocities are dispicable, but again, that's on lawmakers. I don't dislike the people. I dislike many canadians. I dislike many canadian government administrations. does that make this canadian anti-canadian? that's preposterous. 

I have travelled all over the US over the years. it's a beautiful place with many awesome people who are super welcoming and generous to visitors. I dislike shitty humans, I don't identify assholes by their citizenship. 
    "I love Alabama.  The lakes, the hills, the forests, the land itself is beautiful.  Only problem is, it's full of Alabamians."  - Jason Isbell (paraphrased)
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • CM189191 said:
    disliking a country is such a stupid idea to me anyway. how can you dislike a land mass? I dislike america's current admin, and I think their gun laws and lack of action on the atrocities are dispicable, but again, that's on lawmakers. I don't dislike the people. I dislike many canadians. I dislike many canadian government administrations. does that make this canadian anti-canadian? that's preposterous. 

I have travelled all over the US over the years. it's a beautiful place with many awesome people who are super welcoming and generous to visitors. I dislike shitty humans, I don't identify assholes by their citizenship. 
    "I love Alabama.  The lakes, the hills, the forests, the land itself is beautiful.  Only problem is, it's full of Alabamians."  - Jason Isbell (paraphrased)
    ... you just had to turn this thread back to Neil Young, didn't you...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    CM189191 said:

I don't care who said it, I think it's a stupid thing to say.  However, him being from Alabama, I wouldn't be surprised if he stated that as a joke. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I don't know if America is the greatest country in the world, but it has a lot of greatness in it.
     I don't think any country could be called the greatest above all other countries.
    Every country has their positive and negative things. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    CM189191 said:

I don't care who said it, I think it's a stupid thing to say.  However, him being from Alabama, I wouldn't be surprised if he stated that as a joke. 
    He probably wasn't joking very much.  Alabama is crazy-backwards.
    About a quarter of the population, when polled, responds that interracial marriage should be illegal.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited November 2018
    Oh yeah, Alabama is largely still way back in the 50s, if that. I haven't been there, but the stuff I've read about it is pretty crazy. I don't think a lot of people really realize how bad it still is in some parts of that state, which is understandable. It seems unbelievable this day and age.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    Not why Ted Nugent lives there
    what a total flog
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:

He probably wasn't joking very much.  Alabama is crazy-backwards.
    About a quarter of the population, when polled, responds that interracial marriage should be illegal.
    That was on Trevor Noah. He's a progressive living in a state that put up Roy Moore (the alleged pedophile) for office. Thankfully the democrat miraculously squeaked through with a win. He sings to audiences that can turn on him for some of his songs. He spoke, in separate interview, about how he has to carefully pick his songs and how he has to follow a song about, say, rights for all, with a rowdy beer and brawling type song. If he's from Alabama, he has the right to disparage his own state. It isn't something that should be done by someone NOT from Alabama. He is an excellent singer/songwriter. 

He also said that some of his views, progressive ones, sound strange coming from a person with an Alabama accent. I can understand what he is expressing. I can't imagine being a progressive, an openly proud progressive, in a red, red state. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    What's the Swedish national opinion on Ace of Base?
    Were they Nazis or not?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    Were they Nazis or not?
    What ? No I've never heard of such thing. Where did you get that from? I'm not sure that band still exists, either. What I've heard was that they were religious.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Were they Nazis or not?
    What ? No I've never heard of such thing. Where did you get that from? I'm not sure that band still exists, either. What I've heard was that they were religious.

In its 27 March 1993 edition, the Swedish newspaper Expressen reported that Ekberg had once been a member of a band called "Commit Suiside" [sic], which sang songs with explicit racist lyrics.[2] Ekberg claims that the cited lyrics were not recorded by Commit Suiside, but says he regrets this past part of his life as a big mistake.[3] Commit Suiside was a neo-Nazi band active in Gothenburg from 1983 to 1986, when Ulf was between the ages of 13 and 16. Other media outlets reported that Ekberg had been a neo-nazi skinhead.[4][5][6] In 1988 he was a part of the leadership of the Sweden Democrats in Gothenburg.[7] In 1998 some of his old songs were released on the compilation album Uffe was a Nazi!. Including songs like Rör inte vårt land (Don't touch our land), Vit makt, svartskalleslakt! (White Power, black head slaughter) and a cover of Skrewdriver's "Smash the IRA", with the lyrics changed to refer to the VPK.[2]

In the 1997 documentary Our Story, Ekberg said: "I told everyone I really regret what I've done. I closed that book. I don't want to even talk about it, that time does not exist in me any more. I closed it and I threw the book away 1987. I took the experience from it, I learned from it. But that life is not me. It's somebody else."

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I also believe the us has the greatest colleges/universities in the world. So comedy and higher education Del!!  
    Where do you get this information from?

Do you even have free college/university studies?
    Free doesn’t mean quality. 
    No, but it does mean accessible. And it doesn’t mean it isn’t quality. 
    There's plenty of accessible schools in the us. State schools and community colleges are a bargain.  The private schools are out of control. From what I have seen it seems like university of toronto is tops in canada.  
    I concur that community colleges are the best deal here in California, even with tuition hikes.  State Universities costs have gone out the roof.  In 1969, I attended San Francisco State College and my first semester of full time (15 units) cost was $50- in today's money that's about $340.  Those fees now are $7,254 per semester for a full load.     Tuition at a community college in California for 15 units is $690.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I also believe the us has the greatest colleges/universities in the world. So comedy and higher education Del!!  

There's plenty of accessible schools in the us. State schools and community colleges are a bargain.  The private schools are out of control. From what I have seen it seems like university of toronto is tops in canada.  
    I concur that community colleges are the best deal here in California, even with tuition hikes.  State Universities costs have gone out the roof.  In 1969, I attended San Francisco State College and my first semester of full time (15 units) cost was $50- in today's money that's about $340.  Those fees now are $7,254 per semester for a full load.     Tuition at a community college in California for 15 units is $690.
    $690 seems reasonable...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

$690 seems reasonable...
    Extremely. That's really more like just paying the administrative student fees.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

$690 seems reasonable...
    I do not even think $690 in Ontario gets you a parking space.  College, University and Career College are expensive in Ontario.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Annafalk said:
    rgambs said:
    Were they Nazis or not?
    I didn't see the sign of that, either.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

$690 seems reasonable...
    I do not even think $690 in Ontario gets you a parking space.  College, University and Career College are expensive in Ontario.  
    I have never looked into what the costs of community college programs are, so I just did now. At Vancouver Community College, full programs (i.e. admin assistant certificate, digital graphic design diploma, dental assistant diploma, culinary arts certificate, etc) seem to range from $4000 - $10,000 or so. With financial assistance/loans available. I guess that's not that bad, but they are all only 1 year or less in duration.
    Public university tuition has skyrocketed in BC since I went from '94 to '00. Back then I think my full time tuition including fees and everything was only $1100 per term. Now it's more like $4000 for domestic students (more for business and computing science students). Although that does now include a full service public transportation pass, which is nice. I never got that. I used to hitchhike a lot, lol. Of course it's WAAAAY more for international students. Like $12,000 per term before any students fees or extra fees, which are also massive. And that is why, obviously, the universities love to try and fill as many seats with international students as they can possibly get away with. The students from overseas (many of whom can't even speak English) are financial necessities to the universities because they aren't funded by the government enough (and these students are often cheating their ways through their degrees as well as disrupting learning because of language barriers - not all, but some). Which is why it's so hard for domestics to get in. Which is terrible. It's a real problem. 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited November 2018
    State schools are a bargain? Really? The one I went to in PA has more than doubled in tuition in the last 18 years (and if you're out of state it's more than twice as much). 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Annafalk said:
    I don't know if America is the greatest country in the world, but it has a lot of greatness in it.
     I don't think any country could be called the greatest above all other countries.
    Every country has their positive and negative things. 
    Best post I've seen yet on this thread.  Nicely done. Anna!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Thank you Brian !!! :)
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Never a doubt for that title 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Glad my hard earned tax dollars are being put to good use bombing children with remote controls 

Well done
  • my2hands said:
    Glad my hard earned tax dollars are being put to good use bombing children with remote controls 

Well done
    But you still think it's the greatest country?
    my2hands said:

Well done
    Never said it was the greatest, and i'm very aware of my countries downfalls, thank you very much

Dude, you fucking obsess about America. Do you wake up ranting about the evil USA? Good lord
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited November 2018
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Well done
    Never said it was the greatest, and i'm very aware of my countries downfalls, thank you very much

Dude, you fucking obsess about America. Do you wake up ranting about the evil USA? Good lord
    “Must......diss.....America....today”. I definitely do not think he would be a good candidate for immigration to the USA if ever the need arose.  The Anti-American sentiment on these boards alone should be enough to revoke his passport me thinks.
    Too bad, PJ puts on some excellent shows here in the states.

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Well done

“Must......diss.....America....today”. I definitely do not think he would be a good candidate for immigration to the USA if ever the need arose.  The Anti-American sentiment on these boards alone should be enough to revoke his passport me thinks.
    Too bad, PJ puts on some excellent shows here in the states.

Lucky me, they put on some excellent shows here in Europe.
  • my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Well done

I think this thread concerns America. I might be wrong though. English is not my first language.
    Stay the fuck out of Malibu, Lebowski!
This discussion has been closed.