Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options

I opened this album in grade 6 at X-mas. The song is appropriate for this thread... but not my favourite of the fourth side:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWFKaY8AwOU
    Larger than Life might be the greatest - but in competition with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG6cdD_osNU

Hate them having studio tracks on the albu though. They had more live tracks to have on it instead.

That's a gooder. In the bigger picture, I was never a huge Ace vocalist guy (Shock Me one of my faves though). He's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but I always preferred Paul.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

I opened this album in grade 6 at X-mas. The song is appropriate for this thread... but not my favourite of the fourth side:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWFKaY8AwOU
    Larger than Life might be the greatest - but in competition with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG6cdD_osNU

Hate them having studio tracks on the albu though. They had more live tracks to have on it instead.

That's a gooder. In the bigger picture, I was never a huge Ace vocalist guy (Shock Me one of my faves though). He's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but I always preferred Paul.
    I think Shock me is a bit... stale of a song. haha. 

But love his poppy contrubutions to Unmasked!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yuck, can't we contain the KISS talk to one thread?? I mean, you keep the toilet in the bathroom, you don't put one in the kitchen, you don't have one in the living room...shit goes is a special place and KISS is some stiiiinky shit!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Yuck, can't we contain the KISS talk to one thread?? I mean, you keep the toilet in the bathroom, you don't put one in the kitchen, you don't have one in the living room...shit goes is a special place and KISS is some stiiiinky shit!
    This 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    So, you're saying that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiKyu14Lgkg
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    rgambs said:
    :rofl:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    edited October 2018
    America is great.  Why?  Because we have Neil.

Oh wait, he's Canadian so yeah, I guess we suck. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    But he loves enough of us to keep coming back and that's good enough for me!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    brianlux said:

I think you’ve basically got him now. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    brianlux said:

I think you’ve basically got him now. 
    America is great.  Why?  Because we share! 

By the way, here's a little quiz:

What do Neil Young and Stone Gossard have in common?

Here's a hint, look carefully:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    The guitar. Or is it the sideburns 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    The guitar. Or is it the sideburns 
    Good try, last exit.

OK, hint #2:

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

US life expectancy drops for second year in a row

https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/21/health/us-life-expectancy-study/index.html

• Options
    dignin said:

Considering how polluted the world is, I'm guessing the article could read "Almost Every Place on Earth Life Expectancy Drops".

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

Considering how polluted the world is, I'm guessing the article could read "Almost Every Place on Earth Life Expectancy Drops".
    I'm pretty sure it has to do with lifestyle/diet almost exclusively in the USA.....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

I'm pretty sure it has to do with lifestyle/diet almost exclusively in the USA.....
    Probably more to do with people walking in front of oncoming traffic while messing with their cell phone.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

Probably more to do with people walking in front of oncoming traffic while messing with their cell phone.
    Or the drivers messing with their phones and hitting legit pedestrians.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,971
    edited November 2018
    Would the greatest country in the world have serious problems with voter supression and a thing called "gerrymandering" ?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    I think it's pretty much a proven fact that the US is not the greatest country in the world. when you look at overall population happiness, life expectancy, overall health, etc, etc, the stats don't lie. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Would the greatest country in the world have serious problems with voter supression and a thing called "gerrymandering" ?
    Sure, why not? Humans do human type of shit 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I think it's pretty much a proven fact that the US is not the greatest country in the world. when you look at overall population happiness, life expectancy, overall health, etc, etc, the stats don't lie. 
    Unless you consider the GDP stats.  But yeah, definitely not the happiest country in the world.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Unless you consider the GDP stats.  But yeah, definitely not the happiest country in the world.
    I don’t think anyone is disputing that the US buys and sells a lot of crap. Does anyone argue that this makes it the best? 
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Maybe try a bit harder with being "humane" than "human" then.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    I don’t think anyone is disputing that the US buys and sells a lot of crap. Does anyone argue that this makes it the best? 
    I think the thread title says “greatest”, which could apply to the GDP.  Our economy is pretty great.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    my2hands said:
    Maybe try a bit harder with being "humane" than "human" then.
    Well humans on all continents are pretty inhumane.

To understand crime in Sweden, it’s important to note that Sweden has benefited from the West’s broad decline in deadly violence, particularly when it comes to spontaneous violence and alcohol-related killings. The overall drop in homicides has been, however, far smaller in Sweden than in neighboring countries.

Gang-related gun murders, now mainly a phenomenon among men with immigrant backgrounds in the country’s parallel societies, increased from 4 per year in the early 1990s to around 40 last year. Because of this, Sweden has gone from being a low-crime country to having homicide rates significantly above the Western European average. Social unrest, with car torchings, attacks on first responders and even riots, is a recurring phenomenon.

Shootings in the country have become so common that they don’t make top headlines anymore, unless they are spectacular or lead to fatalities. News of attacks are quickly replaced with headlines about sports events and celebrities, as readers have become desensitized to the violence. A generation ago, bombings against the police and riots were extremely rare events. Today, reading about such incidents is considered part of daily life.

The rising levels of violence have not gone unnoticed by Sweden’s Scandinavian neighbors. Norwegians commonly use the phrase “Swedish conditions” to describe crime and social unrest. The view from Denmark was made clear when former President of NATO and Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen said in an interview on Swedish TV: “I often use Sweden as a deterring example.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/sweden-bombings-grenade-attacks-violent-reality-undoing-peaceful-self-image-law-and-order/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I think the thread title says “greatest”, which could apply to the GDP.  Our economy is pretty great.
    It might help if we chose one definition:

great
    adjective
    1. of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average
    2. of ability, quality, or eminence considerably above the normal or average.

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Total GDP is highest, but as per capital GDP it’s only the 19th.

As with everything, there are many ways to look at an issue.  

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Total GDP is highest, but as per capital GDP it’s only the 19th.

As with everything, there are many ways to look at an issue.  

I concur.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

great
    adjective

Exactly :)
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

great
    adjective

Are we talking weight, then? 
This discussion has been closed.