Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    "The U.S. accepted 1,183,500 permanent migrants in 2016, remaining the top country for immigration."

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

USA was #1, Germany #2 at about 1 million, UK at #3 was only 350,000

Yeah...
    Population Sweden is 10 million.
    Population of Canada is 37 million.
    Population of the UK is 66.5 million.
    Populations of Germany is 82 million.
    Population of the US is 326 million.

Yup.  So we agree that the US size makes it pretty unique and tough to compare in a lot of ways then?
    No, that wasn't my point, and not a concept I generally agree with in the context you mean. My point was that population size can be an indicator of how many immigrants a country is equipped to take in. Seems that Germany is going above and beyond, for obvious reasons.
    Yeah a 400,000 person labor shortage will do that.   I personally think it looks like a lot of countries are taking in a lot of people.  
    So what about the 7,000,000+ labor shortage in the US?

Yup, I agree. we need immigration reform badly.  Germany just updated theirs to help with that labor shortage....they are looking for skilled labor.  
    So repubs, controlling all three branches of government and being predominantly white and male could fix the problem, right? But they’re purposely choosing not to.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,107
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    "The U.S. accepted 1,183,500 permanent migrants in 2016, remaining the top country for immigration."

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Yup.  So we agree that the US size makes it pretty unique and tough to compare in a lot of ways then?
    No, that wasn't my point, and not a concept I generally agree with in the context you mean. My point was that population size can be an indicator of how many immigrants a country is equipped to take in. Seems that Germany is going above and beyond, for obvious reasons.
    Yeah a 400,000 person labor shortage will do that.   I personally think it looks like a lot of countries are taking in a lot of people.  

Yup, I agree. we need immigration reform badly.  Germany just updated theirs to help with that labor shortage....they are looking for skilled labor.  
    So repubs, controlling all three branches of government and being predominantly white and male could fix the problem, right? But they’re purposely choosing not to.

Well I'm not convinced they can get it done either....couldn't agree on health care.  But this admin and this congress certainly aren't doing anything.  Much like all the previous admins and congress I can think of.  Bunch of do nothing idiots...cause they only care about elections.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Sweden accepted the most asYlYm seekers per capita in the whole world from the latest refugee crisis in SYria . Far above the european/world average.

Which Your lovelY president has mocked for some reason? Helping out people the US helped fuck up their lives for (according to Trump even)?

So what point are You trYing to make?
    I believe it was you who talked about immigration standards.  I was juts posting factual information I went and found.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Sweden accepted the most asYlYm seekers per capita in the whole world from the latest refugee crisis in SYria . Far above the european/world average.

Which Your lovelY president has mocked for some reason? Helping out people the US helped fuck up their lives for (according to Trump even)?

So what point are You trYing to make?
    And fix that fuckin keyboard ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,536
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Well I'm not convinced they can get it done either....couldn't agree on health care.  But this admin and this congress certainly aren't doing anything.  Much like all the previous admins and congress I can think of.  Bunch of do nothing idiots...cause they only care about elections.
    They need to cancel all this primary nonsense. Seems to me that is largely what's getting in the way.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

They need to cancel all this primary nonsense. Seems to me that is largely what's getting in the way.
    I agree it is a HUGE problem cause it plays to the fringe of each party.  That's just dumb.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,878
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Primary nonsense?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Primary nonsense?
    Stop with the primary elections.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Primary nonsense?
    So if five people want to run how do you decide who runs for your party?

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Primary nonsense?

Let the party decide....not the fringe of the party.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Primary nonsense?

Like most other countries do: The party has its own internal nomination and election process for their leader. Canada does it, works just fine. The party picks their leader and then they inform the public who will be on the ballot on election day.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Primary nonsense?

Pluses and minuses for both I guess. I like primaries. 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Primary nonsense?

Pluses and minuses for both I guess. I like primaries. 

Why? The primaries distract all your politicians for literally half the time, and leaves so much more room for shady deals and corruption and shit, and, worst of all, it causes all the voters to suffer from extreme election fatigue.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    So what's the conclusion for this thread? A resounding NO, right?
    It's got it's flaws, and I'm no chest pounding nationalist, but I'd say it's the greatest country simply for the fact of everything being discussed going on in this country is able to be openly debated, challenged and changed. Some of the things we do are shitty and some are great, but over time it seems that we tend to figure it out and those among us who care enough, push the change ahead. Donald Trump just made everyone realize that we're not as close to getting it right as we thought.
    In what western democracy would this not be true?

This is the weirdness you hear on the US cable news shows about how unique the US is with its freedom of speech and availability to voice openings. IN WHAT MODERN DEMOCRACY IS THAT NOT POSSIBLE?!

Do you think we in Sweden and are not able to openly debate, challenge or change? 

Please describe to me this big chasm you speak of that makes the US "the greatest" because of it?
    Spiritual you have legit  neo- nazi s in your parliament. Your own country is becoming more and more anti-immigrant. Your country is becoming what you hate. I don’t think neo-nazi s will ever hold a single seat of congress in our modern democracy. 

You already have Steve King, Iowa Republican, neo nazi in all but name. He has long been known as a white nationalist. Here's an article that gives some detail on the interview he gave in August to a far right publication in Austria: 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/iowa-rep-steve-king-austria-white-nationalist_us_5bca4851e4b0a8f17eec6001

He has long-time connections to neo-nazis in Europe. He has also argued publicly that only whites have "contributed to civilization".

Plus he supports dog fighting, cock fighting, trophy hunting, and puppy mills. He's an all around terrible person.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    All politics has racist elements and some hide it some show it. All countries are now having a party for racists to follow. 
    The size of our country is not relative to the population size. I still think the people make the country . Either great or not. I may be unpopular  but the amount of knuckle dragging idiots is large and the more people the higher the number.
     On these boards we are blessed with open people in the main. 
    We can learn and see eachother view point. The whole world is not like that.
    The nicest people I've encountered  on my many travels have been the poorest or worse off. Also as a nation the Dutch and Irish have been the ones I've noticed as most genuinely  friendly. 
    Some Americans I've met seem over the top and a bit fake
    But hey they can be anywhere. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    All politics has racist elements and some hide it some show it. All countries are now having a party for racists to follow. 
    The size of our country is not relative to the population size. I still think the people make the country . Either great or not. I may be unpopular  but the amount of knuckle dragging idiots is large and the more people the higher the number.
    The nicest people I've encountered  on my many travels have been the poorest or worse off. Also as a nation the Dutch and Irish have been the ones I've noticed as most genuinely  friendly. 
    America is such a large country with so many different types of people in it. There are fake people and there are genuine people. My family comes from Ireland and everyone but me has visited Cork and Kinsale and found the people to be wonderful. They embraced my family as 'cusins', even though they many be decent cousins and were extremely inviting. 

It is a completely non-scientific opinion but I spent over 5 years as a waitress while in college and I found the nicest customers and the best tippers were regular and 'poor' people. Even within my own family and circle of acquaintances I have found that those who are the most well off are the worst tippers while being the pickiest and most demanding.. As a person who worked in that industry for so long, I consider how someone tips to be indicative of who they are in many ways. It's subjective, but it's my experience. 

I find it hard to answer the question about America being the best country at this point in our history. But there are the leaders of countries and then there are the people within countries. Depending on what system of government each country has, the government reflects or does not reflect the majority of the citizens. If we did not use the electoral college for Presidential elections, we would have a very different President. So I take comfort in the fact that the majority of those who bothered to vote did not vote for our current President. He is a bad man, always has been and the fact that he has made it into the White House makes me question many things about our country. And the future of our country. He is so loud and constant and boorish that it perpetuates the stereotype of the loud arrogant American every hour of every day. It just doesn't stop. He is also dangerous because he is drunk on power. And he blatantly lies and brings out the worst in a portion of our country. 

I do not have the luxury of traveling the world, and those who can - more power to you. I wish I were able to experience what it is like to live in other parts of the world. We are so integrated and this nationalist thing going on right now is fueled by fear and fear can be very strong but is not sustainable. 

Sorry for ramblings....
  • Options
    Fuck Putin. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    njnancy said:
    Fuck Putin. 
    Bolton is over there right now shaking his hand ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    Fuck Putin. 
    And how much you wanna bet they did shots of vodka while watching the PTape?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    Fuck Putin. 

When will this hellish nightmare end?
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    Fuck Putin. 

Spring-ish 2020.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    Fuck Putin. 

Spring-ish 2020.
    That's a long time in Trump years. 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    Fuck Putin. 

Spring-ish 2020.
    That's a long time in Trump years. 
    Several life times.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    America is such a large country with so many different types of people in it. There are fake people and there are genuine people. My family comes from Ireland and everyone but me has visited Cork and Kinsale and found the people to be wonderful. They embraced my family as 'cusins', even though they many be decent cousins and were extremely inviting. 

It is a completely non-scientific opinion but I spent over 5 years as a waitress while in college and I found the nicest customers and the best tippers were regular and 'poor' people. Even within my own family and circle of acquaintances I have found that those who are the most well off are the worst tippers while being the pickiest and most demanding.. As a person who worked in that industry for so long, I consider how someone tips to be indicative of who they are in many ways. It's subjective, but it's my experience. 

I find it hard to answer the question about America being the best country at this point in our history. But there are the leaders of countries and then there are the people within countries. Depending on what system of government each country has, the government reflects or does not reflect the majority of the citizens. If we did not use the electoral college for Presidential elections, we would have a very different President. So I take comfort in the fact that the majority of those who bothered to vote did not vote for our current President. He is a bad man, always has been and the fact that he has made it into the White House makes me question many things about our country. And the future of our country. He is so loud and constant and boorish that it perpetuates the stereotype of the loud arrogant American every hour of every day. It just doesn't stop. He is also dangerous because he is drunk on power. And he blatantly lies and brings out the worst in a portion of our country. 

I do not have the luxury of traveling the world, and those who can - more power to you. I wish I were able to experience what it is like to live in other parts of the world. We are so integrated and this nationalist thing going on right now is fueled by fear and fear can be very strong but is not sustainable. 

Sorry for ramblings....
    Cork is beautiful. I was amazed how wonderful Ireland is. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,001
    edited October 2018
    njnancy said:
    I find it hard to answer the question about America being the best country at this point in our history. 
    It's not that hard. There is pretty much nothing going for it to make it compete to be close to the best. Compared to some of the European countries. No metrics where the US is better for the citizens of the country.

People on here just need to put away the patriotic indoctrination from growing up with the american flag in the classrooms and singing the national anthem at every sporting event and being hit over the head about "the american spirit" and "the greatest country in the world because of 'reasons'" -- and see things for what they are.

And that's okey. You don't have to be the best.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    The president is banking on the caravan argument to help GOP in 13 days and it’s working the blue wave at the end will be a trickle ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The president is banking on the caravan argument to help GOP in 13 days and it’s working the blue wave at the end will be a trickle ..
    And that caravan of people is risking life and limb to get to the United States.  So the United States has to be a pretty good country, no?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:
    And that caravan of people is risking life and limb to get to the United States.  So the United States has to be a pretty good country, no?
    Fair point
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,001
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    The logic here doesn't check out. If your're leaving something making it worth of risking life and limb, wouldn't most other countries be "pretty good" :)

Also, how a country appear through chuck norris movies and how they are in reality, are two difference things :) But I guess Pearl Jam might have been a factor going. 

"I wanna be there when they play Just A Girl again"
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.