Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    I wonder what percentage really believe USA is the greatest country? And any country member whilst I think of it. Because I certainty do not believe my country is the greatest.! I'm thinking lots of Americans actually believe it!
    Americans are being born into their "one nation under god"-Nationalism and getting it pushed on them much more than us Europeans. Do you sing your national anthem before Premiere League football (soccer) matches?

In Sweden we don't.

Yah, but in Sweden you guys wear speedos too. So there's lots of differences between countries we could list.
    And..?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • We Don t sing it at all . Only at international  matches even then I do not . I never sing it. I'm not at all patriotic.  Speedos are worn by way more Americans than any other nation I say! 
    We are not bred  to believe we are great.  Even with a name like Great Britain .
    We have more other nationalities than we do English I think
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I wonder what percentage really believe USA is the greatest country? And any country member whilst I think of it. Because I certainty do not believe my country is the greatest.! I'm thinking lots of Americans actually believe it!
    Americans are being born into their "one nation under god"-Nationalism and getting it pushed on them much more than us Europeans. Do you sing your national anthem before Premiere League football (soccer) matches?

In Sweden we don't.

Yah, but in Sweden you guys wear speedos too. So there's lots of differences between countries we could list.
    And..?
    Can’t sing in a Speedo...falsetto isn’t attractive in a national anthem.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • I wonder what percentage really believe USA is the greatest country? And any country member whilst I think of it. Because I certainty do not believe my country is the greatest.! I'm thinking lots of Americans actually believe it!

In Sweden we don't.

And..?
    What would you say is attractive in a speedo?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

In Sweden we don't.

And..?
    What would you say is attractive in a speedo?
    Terrific question....and I have no answer for you!

hippiemom = goodness
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    We Don t sing it at all . Only at international  matches even then I do not . I never sing it. I'm not at all patriotic.  Speedos are worn by way more Americans than any other nation I say! 
    We are not bred  to believe we are great.  Even with a name like Great Britain .
    No way bud.  Every time I go to the caribbean you can pick out the english guys from miles away based on their lack of a bathing suit.  You guys wear some short shorts when going in the pool!  Your boys need some more room to breathe!  Me, I love my board shorts that stretch to my knees.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    We Don t sing it at all . Only at international  matches even then I do not . I never sing it. I'm not at all patriotic.  Speedos are worn by way more Americans than any other nation I say! 
    No way bud.  Every time I go to the caribbean you can pick out the english guys from miles away based on their lack of a bathing suit.  You guys wear some short shorts when going in the pool!  Your boys need some more room to breathe!  Me, I love my board shorts that stretch to my knees.  
    James Bond, the trailblazer. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    So what's the conclusion for this thread? A resounding NO, right?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's got it's flaws, and I'm no chest pounding nationalist, but I'd say it's the greatest country simply for the fact of everything being discussed going on in this country is able to be openly debated, challenged and changed. Some of the things we do are shitty and some are great, but over time it seems that we tend to figure it out and those among us who care enough, push the change ahead. Donald Trump just made everyone realize that we're not as close to getting it right as we thought.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    PJ_Soul said:
    Pluses and minuses like every other country. There is definitely room for improvement but regardless I still love where I live and am proud to be a US citizen. 
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's got it's flaws, and I'm no chest pounding nationalist, but I'd say it's the greatest country simply for the fact of everything being discussed going on in this country is able to be openly debated, challenged and changed. Some of the things we do are shitty and some are great, but over time it seems that we tend to figure it out and those among us who care enough, push the change ahead. Donald Trump just made everyone realize that we're not as close to getting it right as we thought.
    I couldn't say yes or no.  The objective data research tends to say it is not.  But I do enjoy living here.  I also think the size / population of the USA presents unique challenges that not many other democracies face...so tough to compare sometimes.

Overall, I don't believe it's the greatest...it's in the top tier though.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited October 2018
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    But there are tons of countries that allow that kind of freedom and offer that capacity for change. That fact doesn't set America apart at all.

But sure, I mean as long as it remains in the G7 it's not going to be that bad, and will continue to be far preferable than many other countries, obviously especially the less developed nations .... remaining a member of the G7, of course, is not guaranteed in the long term, if its politics keep going in the same direction they are going now.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the USA is at the bottom of the list for the G7. It used to be at the top.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited October 2018
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    In what western democracy would this not be true?

This is the weirdness you hear on the US cable news shows about how unique the US is with its freedom of speech and availability to voice openings. IN WHAT MODERN DEMOCRACY IS THAT NOT POSSIBLE?!

Do you think we in Sweden and are not able to openly debate, challenge or change? 

Please describe to me this big chasm you speak of that makes the US "the greatest" because of it?
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

This is the weirdness you hear on the US cable news shows about how unique the US is with its freedom of speech and availability to voice openings. IN WHAT MODERN DEMOCRACY IS THAT NOT POSSIBLE?!

Do you think we in Sweden and are not able to openly debate, challenge or change? 

Please describe to me this big chasm you speak of that makes the US "the greatest" because of it?
    Spiritual you have legit  neo- nazi s in your parliament. Your own country is becoming more and more anti-immigrant. Your country is becoming what you hate. I don’t think neo-nazi s will ever hold a single seat of congress in our modern democracy. 
  • tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The best thing we have going here in America is our arts and entertainment. There's a reason why you have over 8,000 posts on the website of an American rock band, and I'll never visit the website of a Swedish rock band. 

I guess another good thing about America is that it's so big that there are various weather climates you can live in. 

That's all I have off the top of my head: Entertainment and climate. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The best thing we have going here in America is our arts and entertainment. There's a reason why you have over 8,000 posts on the website of an American rock band, and I'll never visit the website of a Swedish rock band. 

I guess another good thing about America is that it's so big that there are various weather climates you can live in. 

What has this to do with my post?
  • mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Spiritual you have legit  neo- nazi s in your parliament. Your own country is becoming more and more anti-immigrant. Your country is becoming what you hate. I don’t think neo-nazi s will ever hold a single seat of congress in our modern democracy. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I think white nationalists already hold seats in the US Congress man. Just because they aren't sieg-heiling all over town doesn't mean you don't have total racists at your highest levels of government. To say the least. We all know that the US government does indeed have extreme racists in it right now.
    I tend to agree with your comment about where Sweden is right now though. That anti-immigrant trend is VERY dangerous for Sweden... and it seems that so many Swedes are in denial about that, because it seems that normally liberal folks there are falling prey to the hype. Not good.
    Same goes for some Canadians btw, but we haven't gotten that bad yet.... time will tell which way we're going to swing with that. How many Canadians will fall for it?? I'm worried.
    Nothing ruins countries faster than a good dose of reactionary racism and xenophobia under the guise of nationalism.
  • tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It's more of a general answer to the thread's topic. And you being Swedish, and noting there isn't much difference between America and Sweden from a democracy standpoint, I thought "Hmmm, well what would be a point in American's favor a comparison to a country like Sweden?" Entertainment and climate is all I could come up with. And even climate is pushing it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I think white nationalists already hold seats in the US Congress man. Just because they aren't sieg-heiling all over town doesn't mean you don't have total racists at your highest levels of government. To say the least. We all know that the US government does indeed have extreme racists in it right now.
    I tend to agree with your comment about where Sweden is right now though. That anti-immigrant trend is VERY dangerous for Sweden... and it seems that so many Swedes are in denial about that, because it seems that normally liberal folks there are falling prey to the hype. Not good.
    Same goes for some Canadians btw, but we haven't gotten that bad yet.... time will tell which way we're going to swing with that. How many Canadians will fall for it?? I'm worried.
    Nothing ruins countries faster than a good dose of reactionary racism and xenophobia under the guise of nationalism.
    That is not unique in any way to Sweden though (As you pointed out), what differs from other parts of Europe is that other swedish political parties hasn't normalized them (yet) by accepting/talking to them.

It should also be noted, that the republican party in the US is far more right-winged and vicious than The Swedish Democrats political policies. And, dislikes  foreigners as much if not more. THEY PUT CHILDREN IN CAGES while The Swedish Democrats want to lower immigration/Aid to European standards (I bet which are higher than the US standards). And i would gladly take names of these "legit neo-nazis" you are talking about @mcgruff10?

And I've never said Sweden was perfect (I don't know what any of these has to do with the discussion). We did give you ABBA though.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That is not unique in any way to Sweden though (As you pointed out), what differs from other parts of Europe is that other swedish political parties hasn't normalized them (yet) by accepting/talking to them.

It should also be noted, that the republican party in the US is far more right-winged and vicious than The Swedish Democrats political policies. And, dislikes  foreigners as much if not more. THEY PUT CHILDREN IN CAGES while The Swedish Democrats want to lower immigration/Aid to European standards (I bet which are higher than the US standards). And i would gladly take names of these "legit neo-nazis" you are talking about @mcgruff10?

And I've never said Sweden was perfect (I don't know what any of these has to do with the discussion). We did give you ABBA though.
    I agree that American certainly has FAR more and worse problems than Sweden in many ways, including racism in government, that is undeniable. Anyone who does deny is, well, in denial, lol.
    "The U.S. accepted 1,183,500 permanent migrants in 2016, remaining the top country for immigration."

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

USA was #1, Germany #2 at about 1 million, UK at #3 was only 350,000

hippiemom = goodness
    "The U.S. accepted 1,183,500 permanent migrants in 2016, remaining the top country for immigration."

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...
    Population Sweden is 10 million.
    Population of Canada is 37 million.
    Population of the UK is 66.5 million.
    Populations of Germany is 82 million.
    Population of the US is 326 million.

PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Yup.  So we agree that the US size makes it pretty unique and tough to compare in a lot of ways then?
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Yup.  So we agree that the US size makes it pretty unique and tough to compare in a lot of ways then?
    No, that wasn't my point, and not a concept I generally agree with in the context you mean. My point was that population size can be an indicator of how many immigrants a country is equipped to take in. Seems that Germany is going above and beyond, for obvious reasons.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

No, that wasn't my point, and not a concept I generally agree with in the context you mean. My point was that population size can be an indicator of how many immigrants a country is equipped to take in. Seems that Germany is going above and beyond, for obvious reasons.
    Yeah a 400,000 person labor shortage will do that.   I personally think it looks like a lot of countries are taking in a lot of people.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

Yeah a 400,000 person labor shortage will do that.   I personally think it looks like a lot of countries are taking in a lot of people.  
    I agree, but not enough, unfortunately, because of the horrible things happening to people in this world.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

So what about the 7,000,000+ labor shortage in the US?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Yeah...

So what about the 7,000,000+ labor shortage in the US?

Yup, I agree. we need immigration reform badly.  Germany just updated theirs to help with that labor shortage....they are looking for skilled labor.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited October 2018

Canada under 300,000
    Sweden 138,000

Sweden accepted the most asYlYm seekers per capita in the whole world from the latest refugee crisis in SYria . Far above the european/world average.

Which Your lovelY president has mocked for some reason? Helping out people the US helped fuck up their lives for (according to Trump even)?

So what point are You trYing to make?
This discussion has been closed.