Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Anyone feeling hype for the new Halloween? Speaking of American things
    I have actually never seen one minute of any Halloween. Are American movies popular over there?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I live in Sweden and I'm 34. Over here, we can get apartments with decent rents because the market can't dictate the rents freely. This is not the US.

And yes, you can hunt over here @PJPOWER.
    Will you help me field dress my first moose?  Is most of the hunting done on private or public lands?  
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    If today's kids are going to have even a chance of living a halfway decent life, they are going to need to learn to eat more vegetable and less meat.  Here is why:

But still parents won't take their responsibility. 

But hey -  "what kids want to eat vegetables?" Opinions out of some parallel universe stuck in the 1950s.

Get educated people.
    My wife and I have tried more times than I can count.  The only real success we have had are zoodles.  If you know the secret please do tell.
    Well seems, by the looks of US kids that you parents over there have a almost unique problem with it. NOW GIVE THEM A BAG OF CRISPS FOR SCHOOL!

*googling zoodles* hehe.

Heres a secret - STAR WARS

Now it’s ok to generalize about all Us parents. You are crazy. 
    For the record, you are in the clear to make generalizations about adults that still live with their parents now :)

Does spiritual really live with his parents?
    You would have to ask him...What generalizations, though, are typically made of adults that still live with their parents?
    Gen Xers still think that only losers who can't get jobs and/or can't take care of themselves live with their parents past normal university age I'm afraid. Of course that is an outdated generalization at this point.
    Wow, I bet Gen Xers do not take kindly to other Gen Xers that still live with their parents, then, lol. 

Lol, no. I think most of us just automatically assume there is something wrong with them. That is totally unfair of course, and terribly unempathetic I mean, some people just hit hard times of one kind or another and do what they have to do. Or they decide to totally change directions in life and need that landing spot while they readjust. There is really nothing wrong with that! Gen Xers are assholes sometimes. :lol:;)
    I totally respect that and only bring it up when a certain poster tries to “paint with a broad brush”.  Generalizations in general are are pretty narrow-minded :)
    Says the guy who made the choice to vote for... Trump...
    Says the guy who idolizes KISS
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have actually never seen one minute of any Halloween. Are American movies popular over there?
    Did you learn anything about other countries in school? Or was it all about the US? Kids in other countries are given food by their schools - vegetables included - and they show american films.

It was renamed "All Saints bloody Night" (Alla helgons blodiga natt) on release though - Halloween being pretty unknown over here in the 70s and we have a November holiday of our own called "All Saints Day". It was released on the 6th of august 1979 in Sweden. So some time after it's release in the states.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think I saw the first one back in the day...Never sparked my interest, though.  What is the appeal?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    If today's kids are going to have even a chance of living a halfway decent life, they are going to need to learn to eat more vegetable and less meat.  Here is why:

But hey -  "what kids want to eat vegetables?" Opinions out of some parallel universe stuck in the 1950s.

Get educated people.
    My wife and I have tried more times than I can count.  The only real success we have had are zoodles.  If you know the secret please do tell.
    Well seems, by the looks of US kids that you parents over there have a almost unique problem with it. NOW GIVE THEM A BAG OF CRISPS FOR SCHOOL!

*googling zoodles* hehe.

For the record, you are in the clear to make generalizations about adults that still live with their parents now :)

You would have to ask him...What generalizations, though, are typically made of adults that still live with their parents?
    Gen Xers still think that only losers who can't get jobs and/or can't take care of themselves live with their parents past normal university age I'm afraid. Of course that is an outdated generalization at this point.
    Wow, I bet Gen Xers do not take kindly to other Gen Xers that still live with their parents, then, lol. 

Lol, no. I think most of us just automatically assume there is something wrong with them. That is totally unfair of course, and terribly unempathetic I mean, some people just hit hard times of one kind or another and do what they have to do. Or they decide to totally change directions in life and need that landing spot while they readjust. There is really nothing wrong with that! Gen Xers are assholes sometimes. :lol:;)
    I totally respect that and only bring it up when a certain poster tries to “paint with a broad brush”.  Generalizations in general are are pretty narrow-minded :)
    Don't go there. KISS is sacred.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

Don't go there. KISS is sacred.
    Lol ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Did you learn anything about other countries in school? Or was it all about the US? Kids in other countries are given food by their schools - vegetables included - and they show american films.

It was renamed "All Saints bloody Night" (Alla helgons blodiga natt) on release though - Halloween being pretty unknown over here in the 70s and we have a November holiday of our own called "All Saints Day". It was released on the 6th of august 1979 in Sweden. So some time after it's release in the states.

I m trying to have an actual conversation with you, it is ok when people ask questions about things they don’t know. Get off your high horse. 
    And I graduated high school in 1996, I couldn’t tell you what I was taught.  Plus things change over time. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I m trying to have an actual conversation with you, it is ok when people ask questions about things they don’t know. Get off your high horse. 
    And I graduated high school in 1996, I couldn’t tell you what I was taught.  Plus things change over time. 
    I took your question as toung in cheek, with Hollywood movies being so popular all over the globe.

If it was a real question, then yes - American movies are by far the most popular.

Have you read or seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I took your question as toung in cheek, with Hollywood movies being so popular all over the globe.

If it was a real question, then yes - American movies are by far the most popular.

I am genuinely inquisitive about everything. Before kids I traveled all the time, Scandinavia was on the short list but unfortunately I never made it there. I always wanted to start in Norway and head east until I hit St. Petersburg. 
    I have not seen that trilogy but have heard of it. Why?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Get educated people.

*googling zoodles* hehe.

I m thinking spiritual is a millennial And not a generation x er. 
    Born in the holy year of Ghostbusters, The Terminator and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Does that make me gen X or millenial?
    You're solidly in the Millennial camp. So you and yours all get to criticize and brow beat Gen Z, lucky you! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I am genuinely inquisitive about everything. Before kids I traveled all the time, Scandinavia was on the short list but unfortunately I never made it there. I always wanted to start in Norway and head east until I hit St. Petersburg. 
    It's swedish and in the very popular "Scandinavian Noir" genre. Germans love our crime thriller-films and tv-series. The german hunger for shitty swedish crime thrillers helps the swedish film industry to survive haha. Some more film trivia regarding Sweden.

Fly over here on PJs 2019 European tour then! Norway is VERY expensive though. And they hate us Swedes for not helping out in WW2. Only time I've been attacked for being Swedish was in Oslo at a convenience store by an elder Norwegian guy who refused to forgive Sweden for that,
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited October 2018
    ]
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It's swedish and in the very popular "Scandinavian Noir" genre. Germans love our crime thriller-films and tv-series. The german hunger for shitty swedish crime thrillers helps the swedish film industry to survive haha. Some more film trivia regarding Sweden.

Fly over here on PJs 2019 European tour then! Norway is VERY expensive though. And they hate us Swedes for not helping out in WW2. Only time I've been attacked for being Swedish was in Oslo at a convenience store by an elder Norwegian guy who refused to forgive Sweden for that,
    Oh man I'd love to.  I know you are biased but which is the best city to visit: Oslo, Stockholm or Helsinki?
    I just saw you edited your post, norway is that expensive?!  What about the other two cities?
    I can't believe norway still holds a grudge so many years later.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Oh man I'd love to.  I know you are biased but which is the best city to visit: Oslo, Stockholm or Helsinki?
    Copenhagen.

I did not really like Oslo when I was there... but I lived their for work, and not holiday. More rundown than I would have imagined. And first time I've stumbled upon a thrown away heroin needle... and very expensive, compared to Sweden.

Never been to Helsinki. 

People who have visited seem to dig Stockholm, it's nice -- but I prefer Gothenburg which is on the west coast and the second biggest city in Sweden. Bruce Springsteen agrees.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Copenhagen.

I did not really like Oslo when I was there... but I lived their for work, and not holiday. More rundown than I would have imagined. And first time I've stumbled upon a thrown away heroin needle... and very expensive, compared to Sweden.

Never been to Helsinki. 

People who have visited seem to dig Stockholm, it's nice -- but I prefer Gothenburg which is on the west coast and the second biggest city in Sweden. Bruce Springsteen agrees.
    Copenhagen and Gothenburg might be it then.  Is there a bridge from denmark to sweden or just ferries?  Oh man I need pj to play there!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Copenhagen.

Never been to Helsinki. 

Copenhagen and Gothenburg might be it then.  Is there a bridge from denmark to sweden or just ferries?  Oh man I need pj to play there!
    Theres a bridge from Copenhagen to the swedish town Malmö. Then, I guess its like 2-3h with train from Malmö to Gothenburg.

The Scandinavian Noir super-hit TV-series "The Bridge" starts off on the middle of that bridge (I think Hollywood did a  remake taking place on the border of the US and Mexico): 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Copenhagen.

Never been to Helsinki. 

Theres a bridge from Copenhagen to the swedish town Malmö. Then, I guess its like 2-3h with train from Malmö to Gothenburg.

The Scandinavian Noir super-hit TV-series "The Bridge" starts off on the middle of that bridge (I think Hollywood did a  remake taking place on the border of the US and Mexico): 

No need to rent a car?  
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    make a joke about vegetables and a thread explodes lol

• Options
    my2hands said:
    make a joke about vegetables and a thread explodes lol

It is pretty crazy. I m still trying to wrap my head around it. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Cauliflower sucks... I don't care what anybody thinks lol
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    How dare you say that cauliflower sucks. You know that vegetable was an intricate part of Michelle Obama’s lunch plan and because you hate cauliflower you must then hate her plan which means you hate all underprivileged kids. Shame on you. 

On on a serious note, I tried making pizza crust using cauliflower, yeah it sucked bad. And I was gassy for days. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    brianlux said:

I have a different take.  Humans are meant to eat meat.  It's the fact that we are over-populating the planet as people continue to have way too many kids that's the root cause.  
    That's not really a balanced "take". That is a defense for destroying the planet... or murder billions of people?
    Not to get overly philosophical, but can we destroy the earth?  Was the earth during the ice age any less "earth" than it is currently?  The earth has had many extinctions of species before humans and the industrial era.  Humans are just another species.  The earth will still spin whether humans are here or not.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I have a different take.  Humans are meant to eat meat.  It's the fact that we are over-populating the planet as people continue to have way too many kids that's the root cause.  
    That's not really a balanced "take". That is a defense for destroying the planet... or murder billions of people?
    Not to get overly philosophical, but can we destroy the earth?  Was the earth during the ice age any less "earth" than it is currently?  The earth has had many extinctions of species before humans and the industrial era.  Humans are just another species.  The earth will still spin whether humans are here or not.  
    That was pretty deep.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    brianlux said:

We will just make in uninhabitable until it can recover.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

That was pretty deep.

I had a beer for the first time in about six weeks.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

That was pretty deep.

I had a beer for the first time in about six weeks.
    Have another!!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    my2hands said:
    This could double as a post in the unpopular opinion thread.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    If one kid eats everything on their tray and 299 toss everything? Worth it.
    Estimated 15 million ar-15's in america, 99.99% are responsible owners.  Worth it.  The statistics are actually in my favor.  

Because owning guns is absolutely on par with feeding hungry kids
    And you Canadians suck at reading because no one is discussing free and reduced lunch!!!!  Michelle Obama s new lunch program if anything left a lot of kids hungry.
    God I hope all of you who preach how America is so bad  really put your money where your mouth is and don’t visit us. Please don’t come here.  The other millions upon millions of people visiting here will make up for you. 
    This seems uncalled for. The attack on the Canadians that is.
    I was referring to the two Canadians who can’t read, not all Canadians. I should have been more clear. It just gets really frustrating when words are twisted. I still haven’t seen where free and reduced lunch was talked about in the last two pages. 
    Have a busy day at work and suddenly there are 80 new posts in this thread. So, I'm a bit behind, but here it is:

From one of Hi's posts:

Im all for a programs that help feed kids in school who might not get a meal otherwise, but what is the point? 

(Personally, I see a point to it).

And one of Halifax's posts:

You don’t believe that? Have you ever been hungry? Had to live without knowing where or how your next meal comes from?

He's talking about hungry kids and free lunches.

So yeah, obviously, some people were talking about free lunch for hungry kids in this discussion. It's pretty obvious. And I can read. But I can also say that my post, that you are referencing, only referred to "hungry kids". It said nothing to do with free or reduced lunches; you added that bit. I was referring to "hungry" in a more general sense, and you did not read correctly. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    my2hands said:
    This could double as a post in the unpopular opinion thread.

It's not an unpopular opinion.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
This discussion has been closed.