Options

Pearl Jam vs. Foo Fighters

2»

Comments

• Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    JV130312 said:
    Dave Grigl may be one of the greatest musicians of all time and I like the FF a lot but PJ is tops for me.
    Never heard of Dave Grigl.  Dave Grohl seems like an alright dude, but most of their music is just average AF to me.  Like Everlong though.  Him being in Nirvana definitely helps their prestige.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • Options
    RenaeRenae Perth, WA Posts: 38
    dtr0624 said:
    dave played a guitar solo with his cast last tour. he did the entire tour with a broken leg. the played 2 1/2+ with 0 intermission. just ripped.  ill take the pj catalog over foo because pj gives you both the loud rock and the laid back stuff. live ill also take pj hands down. but foo is a close second.  as for the DMB thing. ive seen em 5 times and go to both nights every time they come to philly. they randomize the set as well as pj does, and they are a blast live. just a good happy crowd.

Grohlsie is committed to his fans as much as they are to him!  Their last tour in Perth , West Australia, was unexpectedly pushed back from March 7th to the 8th, due to unforseen scheduling conflicts.  We later found out he flew back  home for to take his daughter to a father daughter dance, that weekend and came back to play the gig.  Now, you have to understand how isolated Perth is.  Its a minimum like 19hrs flight to get to LA and +5 return! Dedication and respect!

No matter what, I'll have respect for Dave purely because of Nirvana, as a Gen X child, nothing can ever take that contribution away that we lived through in the 90s. And no words can explain it to those who missed it.  I'm sorry younger generations have been stiffed with the shit that's out there now, and this includes the goddamn EMO era that was so mono toned and try hard! Urgh...anyway,  Although Dave's much older than me, I almost feel like a proud mum that he has done so well for himself after everything that happened. And he made it is own.  That's doesn't work for many musicians so I think that says a lot, whether you like the music or not.

Enjoy the gig! you will find there is no comparison as they are both very different which should be expected.  Hell that's why we all love PJ! We all go through stages of flipping tunes here and there depending on whats going on in our lives. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    ^^^
    FF make my ears bleed and I have to stop typing now because I hear them now
    Lol, finally we agree on something!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love PJ and cannot stand the music of the Foo Fighters. They are always at the top of my "most overrated bands" list, along with DMB. I think the Foos produce plain old canned rock, kind of along the lines of Nickelback, and yes, I've listened to the deep cuts. I figured I must be missing something if so many PJ fans liked FF so much, so I actually made an effort to give them a chance... nope. It just made me dislike the music more, haha. I like the band personality-wise though.
    as an avid nickelback hater, and DMB-not-understander, I would disagree. they do have some generic radio rock tendencies, but nowhere near as terrible, or even terrible at all, as nickelback. 

I wasn't a fan of sonic highways. One By One was average. But their last two digital EP releases I really dig. The first 3 records are awesome.

Live: they rock. But it's a different feel of a show.  You know you are there for fun at a FF show, whereas at a PJ show, for the crazy fan anyway, they are there to CONNECT. at least that's my take on it. 
    Fair enough. I am not an avid Nickelback hater myself - I am indifferent to them, and think this whole 'Nicketback sucks' phenomenon in pop culture is ridiculous and mean and unjustified - there are plenty of worse bands out there. And I really do find the Foos' music just as intolerable as Nickelback. I basically find FF unlistenable - it's almost a physical reaction. I just can't take it!

As for the "you have to experience them live" idea..... I let that theory work on me for DMB. I trusted those who said they are amazing live and that my attitude about them will change if I go to a show; I'll feel the connection ... I went, and they sucked! I'm not falling for that trick again. :lol:;) If I ever get a FREE ticket to the Foos I'll give it a shot. I wouldn't turn down a free concert no matter who it is, lol.
    I think the nickelback hate is because they are so famous. not many bands polarize music fans like nickelback does. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    JimmyV said:
    I find Dave Grohl to be one of the most annoying figures in rock music today. FF has some enjoyable songs but I've never been inclined to see them live or even buy an album.

That said, given this morning's news...I'm glad we have him around.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    I liked Nickelback in their indie days.   The first two (and pretty unfamous albums) weren't bad.    I saw them play a few times, bars, festivals, and the local arena and they were solid.    Unfortunately once the 3rd album came out, it really became polished corporate rock and I lost interest.    Then the whole wave of loathing Nickelback started.. lol.

I can see that argument made for FF too.   The first album is amazing.  It's a rough sounding record with everything played by Dave.  The 2nd album is their first real album as a band and is really good.   After that though.. they kind of blend together.   A few good/great songs on each album, but lots less memorable stuff.    They must be around their 10th album by now.    I felt that Wasting Light was really good and it was their first album since The Colour and The Shape that I pretty much enjoyed front to back.   I went to see them on that tour and it was the first time since maybe 2000 that I'd seen them.   The show was pretty damn good.    For great shows you need a band that rocks and an audience that knows/loves the song.  If you don't have both it's a mediocre experience.

Given how many of our 90's bands have fallen, I'm glad they're still out their touring, rocking, and kicking ass.  I might not like every song, but they've easily put out good/great material that they're worth listening too.

I did find it funny on the Sonic Highways series where the rest of the band members started jamming and writing a song that didn't sound anything like a foo fighters song.  Dave stopped it really quick with authority... it was crazy.   I guess that's why they don't stray too much from their sound.
  • Options
    SR91748SR91748 Posts: 138
    Asking who's catalog is better in Pearl Jam forum strikes me as pretty funny. As do the FFs. I think Grohl and Co. are great; but I'll take PJ ten out ten times.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    ^^^
    FF make my ears bleed and I have to stop typing now because I hear them now
    Lol, finally we agree on something!

I'm 100% w/ you on your opinion about FF.
    Now please, don't make me talk about FF anymore.
  • Options
    I think ff are overrated. they don't seem natural or organic to me. Everything seems to be done for publicity or show and just to have your name in the headlines. They don't really change up their setlists which sucks because they really do put on a great live show. Maybe my expectations of them are too high. Either way I think Dave grohl is talented but very overrated
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Dave G is terrific (certainly more talented than the overrated Kurt Cobain ever was) and the Foo Fighters are great. The only thing is I tend to the think of FF as a "hits band", their albums don't stand up for me. I need to pick and choose a few songs from each to make a good playlist. There's no "Yields" or "No Codes" in the FF catalog 
  • Options
    jp307677 said:
    There's no "Yields" or "No Codes" in the FF catalog 
    Of course there isn't.
    They are not Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    FF talented pop rock band.  Nothing more to me
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 798
    pistol3 said:
    JV130312 said:
    Dave Grigl may be one of the greatest musicians of all time and I like the FF a lot but PJ is tops for me.
    Never heard of Dave Grigl.  Dave Grohl seems like an alright dude, but most of their music is just average AF to me.  Like Everlong though.  Him being in Nirvana definitely helps their prestige.
    LMFAO...I haven't chuckled so hard all day...it's been a tough one.  RIP Chris.
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 992
    Foo Fighters first 3 albums were great but when One x One came out I could not get into it & that is where they lost me. It was all to try hard rock & seemed very forced up on you. Also I don't get the additional people coming into the band especially a keyboard player, I am not that keen on Boom being in PJ especially playing on Alive Porch & whatever the older stuff he is playing on. FF are the media darlings type of band cause that is how they want to be perceived especially in the UK where the Nirvana aspect is always thrown in & where PJ were always derided for being not as cool. They can sell out multiple shows at Wembley Stadium where PJ would be lucky to sdll out one. PJ have a mystique that would be ruined if they ended up being an obvious band like the FF.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    PJ fans are coming across as slightly elitist when they knock the Foos for having commercial appeal and Foo fans for liking them.

I do do recognize that the Foos have a distinct sound, but I would not necessarily suggest they are shallow and only appeal to the unrefined ear. It is quite possible that the Foos have a large listening base because they are really good.

PJ is my favourite band, but they've got more than their fair share of doozies. Liking Ole does not place someone above someone else that likes Everlong.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    PJ fans are coming across as slightly elitist when they knock the Foos for having commercial appeal and Foo fans for liking them.

I do do recognize that the Foos have a distinct sound, but I would not necessarily suggest they are shallow and only appeal to the unrefined ear. It is quite possible that the Foos have a large listening base because they are really good.

PJ is my favourite band, but they've got more than their fair share of doozies. Liking Ole does not place someone above someone else that likes Everlong.
    Good points. Every one has their own tastes. Pearl Jam will always be my favorite band, but I really like the Foo's too.

And I know one of the best things about PJ is that they change up the setlist every night, but they are definitely in the minority there. I've seen Metallica, Foo's, AC/DC and many others multiple times on a tour and the setlst was pretty much the same give or take 3-5 songs.I honestly think they have spoiled us with their adaptability. And that's not a bad thing at all. I feel we're extremely lucky to be fans of such a great and evolving band. I know I've turned down seeing shows of a band a 2nd or 3rd time just because I feel like I've already seen that show before. But with PJ, every night is kinda like seeing them for the first time again. What will they play? How many songs? They have us waiting on the edge of our seats to see what will come next
  • Options
    ponytd said:

Good points. Every one has their own tastes. Pearl Jam will always be my favorite band, but I really like the Foo's too.

And I know one of the best things about PJ is that they change up the setlist every night, but they are definitely in the minority there. I've seen Metallica, Foo's, AC/DC and many others multiple times on a tour and the setlst was pretty much the same give or take 3-5 songs.I honestly think they have spoiled us with their adaptability. And that's not a bad thing at all. I feel we're extremely lucky to be fans of such a great and evolving band. I know I've turned down seeing shows of a band a 2nd or 3rd time just because I feel like I've already seen that show before. But with PJ, every night is kinda like seeing them for the first time again. What will they play? How many songs? They have us waiting on the edge of our seats to see what will come next
    PJ is very unique this way. DMB is very similar in this regard.

I love both these bands for the very reason you detail. Well... I love them for their awesome music too, but when you couple their adaptability (to use your term) with their catalogue... you get a gold medalist.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JM84420JM84420 Backstage Posts: 48
    FF is to Nirvana like Frasier was to Cheers. For something close to a pj live experience Bruce is your best bet