Options

Pearl Jam vs. Foo Fighters

SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 818
I've been a member of the 10C since 2000 (should have been since 1992!), and a huge fan obviously...but as the years pass I am getting into the FF more and more (I used to think they were too comerical/soft/silly for my tastes).  

I was/am a huge fan of Nirvana too of course, but I have to say that if given the chance to own only one complete 'discography/catalog' of all recordings, I'd go with the Foo over Nirvana now...and almost any other band out there.  I own all their stuff except like 9 or 10 rare tracks that I can't find anywhere...and it's all good!

I have a few questions for long time FF lovers who are also PJ lovers...

1) Whose recording catalog do you prefer?
2) Who puts on a better live show (I've been to 13 PJ shows and 0 Foo Fighter shows) aka, do the Foo Fighters switch up their setlist as good as PJ?
3) Is their an official (paid or unpaid) Foo Fighter's Fan Club, and if so, what are the benefits of joining?

I also have one final remark/question...why in the hell have the Foo Fighters played 1,333 shows in their history to a measly 967 for PJ?  ;)
19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!

Comments

• Options
    logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 457
    1) PJ
    2) PJ. FF switch it up the setlist a little; not as much as PJ.  Dave has become more and more talkative as the years have gone on.
    3. Not that I know of.
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II | Wrigley I & II
    [82*]
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited May 2017
    I love PJ and cannot stand the music of the Foo Fighters. They are always at the top of my "most overrated bands" list, along with DMB. I think the Foos produce plain old canned rock, kind of along the lines of Nickelback, and yes, I've listened to the deep cuts. I figured I must be missing something if so many PJ fans liked FF so much, so I actually made an effort to give them a chance... nope. It just made me dislike the music more, haha. I like the band personality-wise though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    Going to a Foo Fighters show is like putting on a Greatest Hits record. Is fun and everything. But seeing them when Band of Horses opened for them, on the subway home we talked more about BoH. 

Foo Fighters is exactly what you imagine it would be. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    edited May 2017
    I find Dave Grohl to be one of the most annoying figures in rock music today. FF has some enjoyable songs but I've never been inclined to see them live or even buy an album.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love PJ and cannot stand the music of the Foo Fighters. They are always at the top of my "most overrated bands" list, along with DMB. I think the Foos produce plain old canned rock, kind of along the lines of Nickelback, and yes, I've listened to the deep cuts. I figured I must be missing something if so many PJ fans liked FF so much, so I actually made an effort to give them a chance... nope. It just made me dislike the music more, haha. I like the band personality-wise though.
    as an avid nickelback hater, and DMB-not-understander, I would disagree. they do have some generic radio rock tendencies, but nowhere near as terrible, or even terrible at all, as nickelback. 

I wasn't a fan of sonic highways. One By One was average. But their last two digital EP releases I really dig. The first 3 records are awesome.

Live: they rock. But it's a different feel of a show.  You know you are there for fun at a FF show, whereas at a PJ show, for the crazy fan anyway, they are there to CONNECT. at least that's my take on it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I can't name a single non-radio single Foo Fighters song. I've tried and tried with them. I don't doubt that they're talented and good guys, I just think they're insanely overrated. I think there's an appeal to them because they're classic hard rock sounding and genuine....but that does equate to being good or the cross bearers of rock and roll. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    as an avid nickelback hater, and DMB-not-understander, I would disagree. they do have some generic radio rock tendencies, but nowhere near as terrible, or even terrible at all, as nickelback. 

I wasn't a fan of sonic highways. One By One was average. But their last two digital EP releases I really dig. The first 3 records are awesome.

Live: they rock. But it's a different feel of a show.  You know you are there for fun at a FF show, whereas at a PJ show, for the crazy fan anyway, they are there to CONNECT. at least that's my take on it. 
    Fair enough. I am not an avid Nickelback hater myself - I am indifferent to them, and think this whole 'Nicketback sucks' phenomenon in pop culture is ridiculous and mean and unjustified - there are plenty of worse bands out there. And I really do find the Foos' music just as intolerable as Nickelback. I basically find FF unlistenable - it's almost a physical reaction. I just can't take it!

As for the "you have to experience them live" idea..... I let that theory work on me for DMB. I trusted those who said they are amazing live and that my attitude about them will change if I go to a show; I'll feel the connection ... I went, and they sucked! I'm not falling for that trick again. :lol:;) If I ever get a FREE ticket to the Foos I'll give it a shot. I wouldn't turn down a free concert no matter who it is, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pearljam1809pearljam1809 Posts: 863
    1) Pearl Jam
    2) Seen them both, FF is no match for PJ. While you can´t get enough of PJ attending as many shows as you can in the same tour, one FF show will be just enough (they barely change setlist). Having said that though, I enjoy FF live very much too.
    3) I don´t think so. I´m subscribed to a newsletter and I think that´s about it.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I prefer PJ's catalog.

I think Eddie has a much better voice.  If you listen to Foo Fighters albums they tend to cover up or let Dave's voice hide behind the instruments a lot more. 

I love Foo Fighters, Colour and the Shape, and Wasting Light.   The albums in between all have 2 or 3 good songs on them, so this many albums deep they have enough great songs to make for a great setlist.

They're pretty good live, but its a similar setlist kind of thing.    They have enough big songs to play a kickass song everynight, but i'm not sure the fan base or the music catalog is strong enough to play too many of the deeper cuts.

Dave like's being famous and likes attention.  Eddie does not :)
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    I absolutely loved/love nirvana and tried desperately to get into foo fighters but I just could never do it.  From what i've seen on tv they seem solid live.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,430
    I like Foo Fighters a lot and have seen them live.  They are a great rock band.  But in terms of mixing up the setlist they can't hold a candle to Pearl Jam.  But not many bands can.  It's not really a criticism.  Most bands have a core group of songs they play night to night which is great if you're only seeing them one time. But it doesn't lend itself to multiple shows on a tour. Foos are a great rock band and I think DG is really talented.  I don't get the hate but everyone is entitled to their opinion.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    1. PJ

2. PJ. Have not seen FF due to how bad they suck so I don't want to see them live.

3. No idea, don't want to invest my time in finding out.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    on2legs said:
    I like Foo Fighters a lot and have seen them live.  They are a great rock band.  But in terms of mixing up the setlist they can't hold a candle to Pearl Jam.  But not many bands can.  It's not really a criticism.  Most bands have a core group of songs they play night to night which is great if you're only seeing them one time. But it doesn't lend itself to multiple shows on a tour. Foos are a great rock band and I think DG is really talented.  I don't get the hate but everyone is entitled to their opinion.  
    I agree with that.   It's why you get confuzzled looks on people's faces when you tell them how many times you've seen PJ.   People are used to U2, Metallica, Foo Fighters etc.. that pretty much play the same setlist everynight (and often similar setlists every tour).   They don't get why you'd see a band multiple times, let alone on the same tour.   PJ, Springsteen, and a few other bands are in the small minority :(  It doesn't mean other rock bands aren't good, it does mean any PJ or Springsteen fan probably has a pretty high bar :)
  • Options
    Opinion:

1. Earlier releases favour PJ, but this isn't to say the Foos earlier works aren't fantastic- they are. The last two PJ releases aren't near as good as the Foos last two releases. They aren't even close actually. The Foos have aged well in my mind.

2. PJ concerts are experiences, whereas the Foo concerts are classic rock concerts- fun and loud. I prefer PJ, but I won't miss the Foos when they come.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    IMHO, a FF show is pure entertainment.....you will have a fun time, but there won't be any surprises like there are at PJ shows.

A PJ show is a soulful experience, and you never know what you will get.
  • Options
     :o  Whoah, not the reaction I expected, but this is a PJ board I guess.  

Good to know about them not changing up setlists much.  I will see them once when I can, but sounds like I won't be hooked like I am with PJ, going to 3 shows in  4 days for example.  

Like I said, they were okay to me when they first came out, and when I finally got their first record I thought the non radio songs made them even better (Alone + Easy Target, For All The Cows, and Exhausted come to mind).  But after listening to their first two albums again recently, as well as their latest two EPs and deep cuts, I'm hooked on all their music now.  

PJ will always be my band.  But I've got Foo up there with my favorite rock bands of all time (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Tool, Queens of the Stone Age...and my latest 'new' love is Eagles of Death Metal).
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    ^^^
    FF make my ears bleed and I have to stop typing now because I hear them now
  • Options
    ^^^
    FF make my ears bleed and I have to stop typing now because I hear them now
    Lol!
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    It's Mike Tyson V's Milhouse and the title goes to PJ. 
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 885
    edited May 2017
    Besides Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters is probably the best live band I've seen. The energy is there for every song. They seem into every song. Will jam and improvise a little. 
    This last tour was probably the worst they've put on in 10 years but Dave played the whole thing with a broken leg and still made it super enjoyable. 
    When I saw them on the Wasting Light tour they played for almost 3 hours at the Palace in Auburn Hills and it was great. 
    Post edited by tylermoore on
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    I'm not a fan of foo's music but Back & Forth, Sound city and Sonic Highways are just amazing movies.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    I can't name a single non-radio single Foo Fighters song. I've tried and tried with them. I don't doubt that they're talented and good guys, I just think they're insanely overrated. I think there's an appeal to them because they're classic hard rock sounding and genuine....but that does equate to being good or the cross bearers of rock and roll. 
    Try this out. Cold day in the sun is great.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    mcgruff10 said:
    I absolutely loved/love nirvana and tried desperately to get into foo fighters but I just could never do it.  From what i've seen on tv they seem solid live.
    My thoughts exactly (again!).
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    I don't own one FF record but have always liked them. I saw them last year in LA and was very impressed with their live show. 
    They sounded amazing. The only negative thing I could say is that their songs kind of blend together after awhile. I don't think I would want to see them multiple times for that reason as well as they don't mix up their set lists much. I love PJ because of their variety they have in their music and obviously their set lists.

OP you could pick much worse bands to follow. The Foos are legit IMO. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    There are a few FF songs that I really like (stacked actors, white limo, etc.) but most of their popular stuff seems like the same song over and over.
    I saw them live in Indy a few years back but they aren't a band that I would travel far to see.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dtr0624dtr0624 south jersey Posts: 611
    dave played a guitar solo with his cast last tour. he did the entire tour with a broken leg. the played 2 1/2+ with 0 intermission. just ripped.  ill take the pj catalog over foo because pj gives you both the loud rock and the laid back stuff. live ill also take pj hands down. but foo is a close second.  as for the DMB thing. ive seen em 5 times and go to both nights every time they come to philly. they randomize the set as well as pj does, and they are a blast live. just a good happy crowd.
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2013 - Philly 1, philly 2, charlottesville,
    2015 - NYC (global citizen)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I like Dave Grohl and I appreciate everything he does for the music world to the absolute fullest extent.  But a lot of Foo Fighters music just seems to run together for me.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    pj all the way
    danny d
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Dave Grigl may be one of the greatest musicians of all time and I like the FF a lot but PJ is tops for me.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    I've seen the Foo's probably 5-6 times and they put on a great, fun show. but like others have said, not really a need to go and see multiple shows on a tour. I saw them twice on the same tour once and there was like a 5 song difference. But I enjoyed both shows. The Halloween show at the Ryman for the Sonic Highways tour was one of my favorite shows ever. If you don't like the Foo's, it's understandable, everyone has their tastes. If you like them and haven't seen them, I would suggest you go and see them. You'll enjoy the show.

But PJ still wins hands down