Jimi Hendrix Experience's, "Are You Experienced" 50th Anniversary

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
(Thank you G.J. from Hoffman's web forums for pointing this out!)

Hard to believe it's been 50 years!  Jimi's "Are You Experienced" was released on 5/12/67. 

Shortly after AYE's release I was walking my bicycle across the Southern Pacific railway tracks in Mountain View, California and found a five dollar bill on the ground between the ties. Right away, I rode over to a place called Mayfield Mall and with that five bucks purchased, brand new, one copy each of "Are You Experienced" and Cream's "Fresh Cream". Best five bucks I ever spent!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Do you prefer the mono AYE, or the stereo?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited May 2017
    kramer73 said:
    Do you prefer the mono AYE, or the stereo?
    I prefer all three Hendrix studio albums in stereo.  Most of us had the stereo LPs when they came out and that's what I was used to so that might be a part of my bias.  I bought Axis in mono when the Experience Ltd people released it with much fan fare and it's interesting but the stereo effects of Hendrix music has always been a fairly big part of it for me.  Jimi on headphones- oh man!

How about you?  Any preferences? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    I've only listened to the stereo versions, always wondered what the hype of mono was all about.  I may pick up some Beatles mono at some point.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    oh, damn...I'm old enough to have received that for either a birthday or xmas present.

I remember my dad examining the cover and commenting something about "interesting looking cats" :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    bflynn1 said:
    Great likeness!  Now just flex those muscles 'cause Jimi had big hands!  But seriously, that's the man!

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I was 15 years (or so) late to the game but wow I listened to those 3 albums a lot.  Partial to Axis myself, my older brother's favorite was AYE and I heard it much more as a youngster. 
    Favorite songs from it?
    So tough...I Don't Live Today or AYE.  (Last song before the flip in both instances.)  Fire was my favorite as a kid.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I was 15 years (or so) late to the game but wow I listened to those 3 albums a lot.  Partial to Axis myself, my older brother's favorite was AYE and I heard it much more as a youngster. 
    Favorite songs from it?
    So tough...I Don't Live Today or AYE.  (Last song before the flip in both instances.)  Fire was my favorite as a kid.

I'm partial to Axis as well.  It's my favorite Hendrix music.  Adding to my love of that record was having an experience years ago while in high school with synesthesia while listening to One Rainy Wish.  I saw/heard each of the three instruments as three different colored shimmering angular movements of light.  Still on of my favorite Hendrix songs.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Awesome song, sounds like an awesome experience.
    I remember tripping out with EXP starting the album off, headphones on, and just thinking Jimi was so amazing.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Awesome song, sounds like an awesome experience.
    I remember tripping out with EXP starting the album off, headphones on, and just thinking Jimi was so amazing.
    Headphones + Jimi, for sure!

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    uh? helloooooo? electric ladyland?

I actually loved band of gypsies, as well, for the whole vibe of a drugged out NYE show.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

I actually loved band of gypsies, as well, for the whole vibe of a drugged out NYE show.
    I can groove on a rainy day, for sure!

• redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Amazing album!!!!
    Any word on a special release to celebrate the anniversary???

Brian - I am SO jealous of the fact that u got to witness Jimi live!!!
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Wobbie said:

Voodoo Chile... Hell yeah
    redraw said:
    Amazing album!!!!
    Any word on a special release to celebrate the anniversary???

Brian - I am SO jealous of the fact that u got to witness Jimi live!!!
    Just lucky to have been there, right time, right place- and thankful for it.  I've worked hard to describe the two shows I saw him at the best I could in the music/memoir I'm working on.  It's super hard to put into words something that visceral and exciting.