Options

Rolling Stone 50 greatest concerts PJ 1998

2»

Comments

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    on2legs said:
    personally speaking i absolutely love the fixer, just breathe and severed hand and all of riot act and unthought known and and...so let's face facts...it's a matter of personal opinion! so the yield tour does not blow away 2016's version of pearl jam. sorry people!!   :)
    98 Tour had bat wings.  Any tour with bat wings is a winner. 
    lol...and those video screens were amazing! with those up close fishbowl shots of mike/jeff playing his geetar foot pedals !!!
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Please reissue Live on 2 Legs vinyl!
    this!
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    One of my regrets in life is that I did not see a PJ concert until into the 2000s. Now I see as many as I possibly can but there's no way to turn back time. The stories are fun to read but don't dampen down the jealousy. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    msg 1 98 was my first show. cant believe its almost 20 years ago. of course msg 2 was legendary but i couldnt get tix. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    One of my regrets in life is that I did not see a PJ concert until into the 2000s. Now I see as many as I possibly can but there's no way to turn back time. The stories are fun to read but don't dampen down the jealousy. 
    I'm right there with you.  Even though I was a fan of the music since the beginning, I just didn't go to many concerts back then.  I got an even later start seeing live PJ than you did, but I sure wish I could have experienced some of those shows.  What I'd give to have a delorean with a flux capacitor...
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 996
    Great road trip from the Sydney to Brisbane nearly 20 years ago, wow All those Yesterdays
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    MSG 2 Breath
    Nuff said

• Options
    in one show in 1998 i yelled out for betterman, after the main set break, cause i f'n LOVED that NEW song...so they whip out hard to imagine(ugh lol) after that song ed steps back from the mic and says/points to me "ok for you, and ummmmm"....you could have only heard him say that from the 10c seats. the whole thing showed up on on my audio recording! i was openly audio taping the show that night as they didn't have their new insane taping policy(no external mics) out by then...anyways i went mental and have never fully recovered....
    it was such a weird coincidence that i just happened to start to yell for it and then 1 song later they played it. i never saw the setlist from that show but prefer to think he heard(there no way he could have not heard) ;)
    ohhhh the good times we had
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,370
    in one show in 1998 i yelled out for betterman, after the main set break, cause i f'n LOVED that NEW song...so they whip out hard to imagine(ugh lol) after that song ed steps back from the mic and says/points to me "ok for you, and ummmmm"....you could have only heard him say that from the 10c seats. the whole thing showed up on on my audio recording! i was openly audio taping the show that night as they didn't have their new insane taping policy(no external mics) out by then...anyways i went mental and have never fully recovered....
    it was such a weird coincidence that i just happened to start to yell for it and then 1 song later they played it. i never saw the setlist from that show but prefer to think he heard(there no way he could have not heard) ;)
    ohhhh the good times we had
    Great story!
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    First show was LA 1. Was a jr in high school, and my mom wouldn't let me drive through LA at night two nights in a row. Since we lived about 45 minutes away and had to drive through some of the roughest areas, not to mention the forum is rough itself, to get there.
    Had nose bleed seats, and didnt know until I watched a bootleg video that I saw Mike was wearing a leather skirt.
    I think it was a day or 2 later I realized the benefit of 10c seating and joined. Had some great seats since them, but some equally bad, hit or miss I guess.
    Was definitely a great show. I think 2009 comes second on my list though, they seemed to finally embrace their strardom and look like they enjoy it that tour, and it seems like the busted out more old classics than tour than the previous couple.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I'd seen PJ do a set at lolla '92.   It was energetic and aweomse, but it was also in the afternoon and pretty short.   

Missoula '98 was what I consider to be my first Pearl Jam show.  I was doing a cross Canada road trip with one of my best friends (did round trip from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland).    I really wanted to see PJ but given the timing of the trip I wasn't 100% sure we'd be back for the Vancouver show.   I looked at the tour dates, and looked at the map.   Missoula stuck out because it was the beginning of our trip and it was about 5 hour drive south of the border?   My friend had a friend in calgary so we hung out there for a few days and made the drive down.

We got stopped at the border.   Asked us all sort of questions.   To the point my friend got frustrated.   The border agent asked us if there were and drugs or drug paraphernalia in the car.  He quipped "We vacuumed it out really good!". lol..!!!   The whole car card ransacked.    Funny thing is he angrily told the border guard the truth, so there was nothing in the car.   So they let us through.   I learned to try and avoid the smaller border crossings (we crossed by the highway to the sun between the national parks in southwest alberta, northwest montana). 

Then we discovered Montana had stretches of highway with no speed limits!!   We had the '91 chevy sprint with a 3 cyclinder engine going pretty fast :)   We got to Montana 2 nights before the show.   Stayed at the KoA.   A big storm blew over and flooded the whole town.  We ended renting a cabin at the koa the next night because everything got soaked.

The next morning we found a place for breakfast and we see this guy drinking a beer in his semi and there's a cop looking at him but doing nothing.  My buddy asks him what's up with that, and the cop says "you can drink and drive as long as you don't drive drunk!".    Montana is awesome! lol.

The show was incredible.   First time I saw an outside merch booth, so I bought a poster (first time i'd ever seen concert posters being sold) tossed in the car and got in the venue.   I would of been 20 at the time, so I braved the pit and was up close for most of the concert.   There was the cool hill behind the venue where people who couldn't get tickets were watching the show from.    Some guy got to propose on stage.  They played pilate!

I lost my friend early in the show in the pit, but during yellow ledbetter I decided to crowdsurf to try and find him.. he did the same.. crowdsurfed out the end of the show... lol.

So many good memories of that show.   I really should go back to Montana some day :)
  • Options
    no show details here....i wrote this a year ago

Pearl Jam Saturday August 22 Molson Park Barrie. Doors 2pm

Pearl Jam, local, in a big field, on a Saturday night, in the summer!  HELL YES...Of course we were going. In fact many friends were all saying YES. Tickets were easy to get as the venue held lots so there was no sense wasting the one 10C pick per tour for this show. The pre planning started immediately. The kit-bag needed filling. Tents, coolers, easy food, boogie boxes and mixed tapes were definitely required. Car passengers were scrutinized closely as only the true adventurers were welcomed. No time for the wishy washy types. It was a simple yes, no thought needed. Little did we know then that "the event" would become MMagical and it would be cherished for many many years....

The band had promised to get everyone in the doors this time after Toronto 1996 sold out in record time and a lot of fans got shut out. The good news is there were people in my gang seeing them for the 1st time this time. Perhaps going just for the party and besides good times were surely to be missed if anyone chose to stay home. This was not a show to miss even if it wasn't that local to the Big Smoke. The hype was evident months before the show. In those days Toronto didn't have a lot of venue options for 20,000+ people so we were happy to all be included this time.

As the day approached we packed up everything needed(and more) for the special event. We were going to rough it. Camp site TBD for Friday night. We loaded up the red shark and took off into the warm Friday night air. It would be a fairly simple drive other than having to deal with the already packed Highway # 400 with all the crazy cottagers going north for the wrong reason this time. There was no sense in driving up there the day of the show, after-all we were professionals and there was a great sense of urgency.

We arrived in a gang of 4 cars. No smart phones then, simply not needed, we traveled as a pack. We all knew the mission was to drive straight to the venue and start to look around to see what all the hype was about. There had to be someone local to the front entrance of Molson Park that could help us accommodate our tents and our quiet excitement all night. As fate would have it someone in authority decided it was better to let these gangs of people camp in the rough right across from the main gate, in what would be a main parking lot come Saturday(day of the show). They really had no other option as we simply wouldn't leave! They validated our parking pass told us to park the cars by the line of trees and that our cars would be good there for the whole show. "Have fun everyone" they said! We gladly paid the parking lot cost ( free to "camp" !!) and we were told the only rule was that the tents had to be taken down by sunrise. As smart as we were this seemed way too easy, so we accepted their proposal. Besides, what are they going to do walk around to each tent at 6am and take the poles out. HA GO AHEAD with that we thought!

Overall there were about 100 of us total strangers there, all on the exact same mission. Only 12 of us were close old friends, but that didn't matter as were were all here for 1 reason. We partied the night away with no campfires, no porta potties and basically no light. Camping in the rough x 10. Good timing in driving there at least allowed us the opportunity to set up our tents in the dusk so we could get our bearings and settle in for a night of fun, music & good times.

As the night progressed we often checked back in on our luck. Here we all were 18 hours before the gates open having fun directly across from the main gate to where the mighty Pearl Jam were going to play. What a perfect set up for us. We partied the night away and hit our tents at some awful time when it became way past any sense to still be up. No problem though...we were camping right across the the venue! We crashed in our tents and quite abruptly at 555am someone was going around taking all our tent poles down. What the hell! Who was doing this? What joker is up at dusk doing this prankster thing...as we peered out from our collapsed tents we all were in the same situation. Our tents were now collapsed and we had no alternative but to shrug and say "oh yeah that was part of our agreement". It made for a tough morning and even tougher lunchtime. But being hard core adventurers we all knew there was risk involved so we sucked it up opened a beer and said good morning to all. We were all in this together and there was no fretting over anything. The morning whipped by and we cued up to go through the gates shortly after the 2pm doors. We all had a blast. Everything was perfect.
  • Options
    SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    Camden 98 was my first show and I was in 7th grade.  I knew of PJ but that was about it.  A friend of mine and his family had an extra ticket because his sister backed out last minute and I reluctantly went in her place.  It turned out to be a night that changed my life forever.  It was my first concert and I remember EVERYONE in the crowd singing every word to every song.  I didn't know any so I just danced around and pretended to sing along.  19 years and 50 + shows since and I'm forever grateful for my grade school friend for bringing me!
    Landed the poster a few years back and just got it framed.  Every time I pass it, I think, What a fucking night!!

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited May 2017
    That Camden show was a good one.  "Release" played just in candle light.  when the lights finally flashed on towards the end of the song people just lost it    

Thats what i remember most about that show.  Such a fun summer. Simpler time to see a rock show.  I can't pick a favorite 
  • Options
    logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 457
    1998 might have been their best tour.  Not a bad show that whole tour.  Ed still sounded young and hungry, and Matt's loosest drumming.  I hope these all get released someday.
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II | Wrigley I & II
    [82*]
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I hope so too.   We know they recorded the whole tour on decent equipment because they were planning on releasing the tour compilation (live on 2 legs).   It'd be pretty sweet to sell them all pop up for sale one day :)
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    maui in 98 was unbelievable. also saw montreal.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,574
    '98 Dallas was my second show. Second row and lucky enough to have the poster. Good times. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    I would probably give a limb to have seen a '98 show, especially msg.  From the boots they sound just like someone previously said, like the perfect balance between youth and experience.

i didn't see them until 2003 and am surprised to see that tour barely mentioned here.  2013 was a great one (Charlottesville!!), but 2016 better than '03 ?  Really?
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    I would probably give a limb to have seen a '98 show, especially msg.  From the boots they sound just like someone previously said, like the perfect balance between youth and experience.

i didn't see them until 2003 and am surprised to see that tour barely mentioned here.  2013 was a great one (Charlottesville!!), but 2016 better than '03 ?  Really?
    2016 is not better than 2003.  That tour is close to peak for me.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Backspacer 76Backspacer 76 Posts: 957
  • Options
    JmcgogreenJmcgogreen Posts: 21
    My first pj show East Lansing 98. I was a sophomore in high school and myself and 4  buddies went and had our minds exploded. We also smoked our first joint, what a night!! Saw them at the palace also that tour. Great memories 
  • Options
    florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    edited May 2017
    1998 shows:

Maui 2 shows
    Seattle 2 shows
    Maryland
    Washington DC
    Camden

Maui shows were ethereal.
    Seattle shows were mind bending awesome
    Maryland was very special.
    Washington DC felt intimate.
    Camden on the lawn. Worst crowd ever. Rude and drunk as hell. White hat creeps all around.
    Post edited by florence151 on
    Hold On
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 820
    Saw them in Wellington, NZ in 1998 (am still looking for the boot of the full show). First time seeing PJ, 3rd gig ever and the best gig I've ever seen. Jack was playing with them still and did Who You Are and Given To Fly-I prefer his softer touch to Matt's on these songs and loved getting to hear these the way they were played on the record (didn't like the way they played WYA at all in Amsterdam 2014). Still feel Yield was the best showcase for Ed's voice in the whole catalogue.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    That Australia/NZ '98 tour was excellent.  

I know they "only" played 22-25 songs back in those days but the shows just flowed so well.  It was perfect IMO. Pacing was right. Singing was peak form. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    My first pj show East Lansing 98. I was a sophomore in high school and myself and 4  buddies went and had our minds exploded. We also smoked our first joint, what a night!! Saw them at the palace also that tour. Great memories 
    That was my first PJ show too. I'd love a soundboard boot of that show. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV