Options

Left or Right, which way do you lean ?

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108

Your question actually brings up questions about how the right perceives things. Why do they take fringe actions of people destroying property and they attribute that to the left as a whole? Why does the right give their own a pass when they're violent? But back to your question about why they're different. I see conservatives as very fear driven and holding on to a past that never really existed in the first place, but they still want to go back there. I see them disregard facts because they often hold onto an outdated belief system woven with myths and misperceptions. They're succeptable to fear based messages because they're convinced their way of life is under attack. All a leader needs to do is create a villain where they can project these fears onto and they will follow along.

very good reply, a few of the points you mentioned cross over to both sides.

"They're succeptable to fear based messages because they're convinced their way of life is under attack. All a leader needs to do is create a villain where they can project these fears onto and they will follow along"

I really believe this to be true for people on both sides, the human species is so predictable and un-predictable at the same time.

" Why do they take fringe actions of people destroying property and they attribute that to the left as a whole? "
    because it's an easy target, we all...or most of us look for the easy target, the AMT is full of examples.

Who hacked godfather's account?
    if I believe you or anybody else to be correct there is no point in arguing and your statement nailed it....people in general left or right.

Compare the left's response when baby bush was in office to the right's response when Obama was. Of course it's going through my filter, but I saw the left reaction to bush as more specific to the action. E.g. Direct criticism to the Iraq war and what consequences that would have. The right's response to Obama was totally irrational. A constant theme of tossing out fear based labels: Kenyan Muslim Marxist blah blah. Not to mention the continual noise about how he was going to destroy the country, and now has left behind a disaster (don't bother asking for specifics about these, though).
    I mostly agree. But the left has taken a page from the right with their early attacks on the Donald...small hand...
    Marco Rubio is left?

"Take a page from the right",,,,, be honest, you haven't heard the left ...people you know, people here...using these same terms against the Donald?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

Your question actually brings up questions about how the right perceives things. Why do they take fringe actions of people destroying property and they attribute that to the left as a whole? Why does the right give their own a pass when they're violent? But back to your question about why they're different. I see conservatives as very fear driven and holding on to a past that never really existed in the first place, but they still want to go back there. I see them disregard facts because they often hold onto an outdated belief system woven with myths and misperceptions. They're succeptable to fear based messages because they're convinced their way of life is under attack. All a leader needs to do is create a villain where they can project these fears onto and they will follow along.

very good reply, a few of the points you mentioned cross over to both sides.

"They're succeptable to fear based messages because they're convinced their way of life is under attack. All a leader needs to do is create a villain where they can project these fears onto and they will follow along"

I really believe this to be true for people on both sides, the human species is so predictable and un-predictable at the same time.

" Why do they take fringe actions of people destroying property and they attribute that to the left as a whole? "
    because it's an easy target, we all...or most of us look for the easy target, the AMT is full of examples.

if I believe you or anybody else to be correct there is no point in arguing and your statement nailed it....people in general left or right.

Compare the left's response when baby bush was in office to the right's response when Obama was. Of course it's going through my filter, but I saw the left reaction to bush as more specific to the action. E.g. Direct criticism to the Iraq war and what consequences that would have. The right's response to Obama was totally irrational. A constant theme of tossing out fear based labels: Kenyan Muslim Marxist blah blah. Not to mention the continual noise about how he was going to destroy the country, and now has left behind a disaster (don't bother asking for specifics about these, though).
    I mostly agree. But the left has taken a page from the right with their early attacks on the Donald...small hand...orange...hair...they've met the crazy right halfway.
    I see that as human physics - an action is getting an equal and opposite reaction. We have an authoritarian, xenophobic bigot president who has called on his supporters to be violent with the opposition. No surprise that some have gotten violent/destructive in their opposition.
    didn't Obama do the same thing by saying anybody that votes Trump will is a disappointment to me ?...or something along those lines
    in fact I believe Hillary is guilty of the same thing telling her rioters/followers not to give up. putting all the right left stuff to the side this last election was a total abuse of trust by the candidates and even Obama abused his popularity and position ....in my opinion anyway.

point to me ONE example of obama or hillary calling on their supporters to be violent.
    not calling for a peaceful transition of power was one thing and encouraging their supporters not give up and saying that stupid shit
    while the leftist rioters burned shit down or destroyed cop cars and store fronts...you don't remember that ???.....oh wait you live in Canada and probably missed it on FOXNEWS anyway.
  • Options
    Ignoring the poll and answering the question...I would call my self Left, right and center. Center isn't really a terrific term to describe my opinions as some are far left or far right. I don't think they counteract each other since they are very different topics. But then I do find myself in a more middle position on a lot of topics as well. Or what I consider middle...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    very good reply, a few of the points you mentioned cross over to both sides. "They're succeptable to fear based messages because they're convinced their way of life is under attack. All a leader needs to do is create a villain where they can project these fears onto and they will follow along" I really believe this to be true for people on both sides, the human species is so predictable and un-predictable at the same time. " Why do they take fringe actions of people destroying property and they attribute that to the left as a whole? " because it's an easy target, we all...or most of us look for the easy target, the AMT is full of examples.
    I mostly agree. But the left has taken a page from the right with their early attacks on the Donald...small hand...orange...hair...they've met the crazy right halfway.
    I see that as human physics - an action is getting an equal and opposite reaction. We have an authoritarian, xenophobic bigot president who has called on his supporters to be violent with the opposition. No surprise that some have gotten violent/destructive in their opposition.
    didn't Obama do the same thing by saying anybody that votes Trump will is a disappointment to me ?...or something along those lines in fact I believe Hillary is guilty of the same thing telling her rioters/followers not to give up. putting all the right left stuff to the side this last election was a total abuse of trust by the candidates and even Obama abused his popularity and position ....in my opinion anyway.
    point to me ONE example of obama or hillary calling on their supporters to be violent.
    not calling for a peaceful transition of power was one thing and encouraging their supporters not give up and saying that stupid shit while the leftist rioters burned shit down or destroyed cop cars and store fronts...you don't remember that ???.....oh wait you live in Canada and probably missed it on FOXNEWS anyway.
    I asked for an example of where they called on their supporters to be violent. that ain't it. try again. 

oh, and, don't you recall when Trump said he would "wait and see" if he would conced the election with zero reason why? Hillary conceded when she had confirmation that the russians had nothing to do with any voting irregularities. I wouldn't blame either side for doing that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    very good reply, a few of the points you mentioned cross over to both sides. "They're succeptable to fear based messages because they're convinced their way of life is under attack. All a leader needs to do is create a villain where they can project these fears onto and they will follow along" I really believe this to be true for people on both sides, the human species is so predictable and un-predictable at the same time. " Why do they take fringe actions of people destroying property and they attribute that to the left as a whole? " because it's an easy target, we all...or most of us look for the easy target, the AMT is full of examples.
    didn't Obama do the same thing by saying anybody that votes Trump will is a disappointment to me ?...or something along those lines in fact I believe Hillary is guilty of the same thing telling her rioters/followers not to give up. putting all the right left stuff to the side this last election was a total abuse of trust by the candidates and even Obama abused his popularity and position ....in my opinion anyway.
    not calling for a peaceful transition of power was one thing and encouraging their supporters not give up and saying that stupid shit while the leftist rioters burned shit down or destroyed cop cars and store fronts...you don't remember that ???.....oh wait you live in Canada and probably missed it on FOXNEWS anyway.
    I asked for an example of where they called on their supporters to be violent. that ain't it. try again. 

oh, and, don't you recall when Trump said he would "wait and see" if he would conced the election with zero reason why? Hillary conceded when she had confirmation that the russians had nothing to do with any voting irregularities. I wouldn't blame either side for doing that. 

you seem blinded by your anger at Trump and refuse to acknowledge Clinton and obama's abuse, and yes I recall "wait and see" and no it wasn't the smartest thing he said during his campaign. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Why are all of you still engaging in this conversation with GF? Surely you don't think you're going to convince him to see reason.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

you seem blinded by your anger at Trump and refuse to acknowledge Clinton and obama's abuse, and yes I recall "wait and see" and no it wasn't the smartest thing he said during his campaign. 
    blinded by my anger? oh jesus, here we go again. I saw no abuse by clinton and obama. by abuse, do you mean a sitting president campaigning for a candidate in his party? if not, what?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Gf, no offense, but come on man. You know where everyone is leaning. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Why are all of you still engaging in this conversation with GF? Surely you don't think you're going to convince him to see reason.
    it's not trying to convince him otherwise. it's more of a "I still can't believe people think this way" type of fascination. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    PJ_Soul said:
    Agreed. This is like a black hole. Why waste time on a topic clearly meant to start arguments. There's not a rational or civil back and forth to be had in this thread.

Godfather. said:
    Have you got a source for Obama saying that anyone who voted Trump was a disappointment to him? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask.
    oh please, you don't remember him stating something to that effect ? not those exact words but close enough ?
    This sounds just like Trump's response to wiretapping. Make an unverified statement and then prove it's not true. I have my opinions and you can have your opinions...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    it's not trying to convince him otherwise. it's more of a "I still can't believe people think this way" type of fascination. 
    Fair enough! After giving this general issue some thought, I think I feel comfortable boiling it down to a lot of people simply being completely irrational when it comes to politics. End of story.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Left on social issues, right on economics. Left on environment, right on second amendment. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Left on social issues, right on economics. Left on environment, right on second amendment. 
    i'm the same on your first 3. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Left on a lot of social, but not all, some I'm decently far right.  Right on economics mostly.  Center on environment...been moving left compared to the maintstream right.  Far left on 2nd amendment.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Have you got a source for Obama saying that anyone who voted Trump was a disappointment to him? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask.
    oh please, you don't remember him stating something to that effect ? not those exact words but close enough ?
    No, I don't remember that, and couldn't find it when I tried to google it. Perhaps you can find the source. All I can find are instances where Obama was measured and polite about Trump despite Trump's boorish behaviour toward him. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605

When did leftist rioters "burn shit down or destroyed cop cars and store fronts," because Trump was elected president? When did that happen? Can you link me to the Fox news reporting of such? As far as I remember, there was a peaceful transition of power. But correct me GF, please.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    mcgruff10 said:
    Left on a lot of social, but not all, some I'm decently far right.  Right on economics mostly.  Center on environment...been moving left compared to the maintstream right.  Far left on 2nd amendment.
    Can someone tell me what right on economics is? Because to me it's corporate handouts and deficit spending. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    My right leg is a little shorter than the left, so I naturally lean right until that becomes uncomfortable and I shift my weight toward the left.  Also if my sciatic nerve is bothering me, I'll favor the left slightly but try to remain in a central position.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    Can someone tell me what right on economics is? Because to me it's corporate handouts and deficit spending. 
    to me  it's lower taxes and less government.  waaaay too much government out there. tax cuts for corporations that stay in america instead of going overseas. I always equated deficit spending with democrats but I could be wrong.

hugh, i'm definitely to the right when it comes to the 2nd amendment but I believe in back ground checks, training and registration.

the only issue i'm still on the fence about is the death penalty.  
    but yeah i'm right in the middle.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I lean for Liberty.
    Could never tell from your White nationalist agenda posts.
    I feel like I owe you rent money because I am always in your head.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    any thoughts on why the left and right are so different ?
    We're smarter and more productive?

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    To me it is nicely summarized by the term "trickle down economics", which is, of course, a myth that the right keeps dreaming about. It's like the unicorn of economics, and Republicans believe in unicorns.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    to me saying right on economics is a general way of saying conservative spender. the democrats in manitoba spent spent spent and put our province in a nearly infinite hole. they got trounced in the election for a reason. and now government and crown corporation employees are feeling the pinch because of their gross fiscal mismanagement. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    To me it is nicely summarized by the term "trickle down economics", which is, of course, a myth than the right keeps dreaming about. It's like the unicorn of economics, and Republicans believe in unicorns.
    Did you know that democrats made that phrase up in the 1980's (although it was first used during the Hoover days)?  And has anyone used that phrase since 1992? lol
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    To me it is nicely summarized by the term "trickle down economics", which is, of course, a myth than the right keeps dreaming about. It's like the unicorn of economics, and Republicans believe in unicorns.
    trickle down economics is the biggest trojan horse the repub's pulled on their base. "yeah, we'll give a rich guy more money, and he'll pass on the profits down to you". anyone who has any clue about how the rich get rich didn't believe that shit for a second. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Did you know that democrats made that phrase up in the 1980's (although it was first used during the Hoover days)?  And has anyone used that phrase since 1992? lol

It's a shoe that fits, and that's why people still wear it, because it still fits.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    David Stockman, Reagan's budget director, coined the term. He has since renounced the theory as it doesn't work.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    David Stockman, Reagan's budget director, coined the term. He has since renounced the theory as it doesn't work.
    of course it doesn't!  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    of course it doesn't!  
    Someone should tell Trump.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    of course it doesn't!  
    Someone should tell Trump.
    Hey I'm for tax cuts on all levels.  Shit I pay just under $11 grand a year in property taxes for a 2100 square foot house on less than a 1/4 acre.  There's too much government on all levels, trim the fat!