Options

Left or Right, which way do you lean ?

Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
edited May 2017 in A Moving Train
just a thought:
the supporters on the right seems to voice their opinions and concerns in a more quite civil kind of way like voting and peaceful rally's for the most part, I'm sure there a few
right wingers that acted stupid but... the leftist seem to want to destroy public and private property, block freeways and handle their anger with violence but I'm sure this has
been the Democratic way from day one.

any thoughts on why the left and right are so different ?

Left or Right, which way do you lean ? 11 votes

I lean to the right
45% 5 votes
I lean to the left
45% 5 votes
I fall right in the middle of the two
9% 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,618
    Your question actually brings up questions about how the right perceives things. Why do they take fringe actions of people destroying property and they attribute that to the left as a whole? Why does the right give their own a pass when they're violent? But back to your question about why they're different. I see conservatives as very fear driven and holding on to a past that never really existed in the first place, but they still want to go back there. I see them disregard facts because they often hold onto an outdated belief system woven with myths and misperceptions. They're succeptable to fear based messages because they're convinced their way of life is under attack. All a leader needs to do is create a villain where they can project these fears onto and they will follow along.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I doubt many (particularly on the left) are going to respond to a poll which lists the right as peaceful and civil and brands the left with violence as the Democratic way from day one, asks why the two are so different, and then polls which way people lean.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    All that being said, I am way more conservative, in the reality of my actions, than anyone I know of who calls themselves a conservative.

There is nothing conservative about expecting an economic system to function with infinite growth on a finite planet.
    There is nothing conservative about wrecking the environment for exorbitant profits.
    There is nothing conservative about encouraging consumption.
    There is nothing conservative about using a religion to stick your nose into the morality of other people's choices.
    There is nothing conservative about religion at all, it explicitly encourages the spending of life as though another is inevitable.
    The list goes on and on...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I now sometimes lean to the right due to a worn down hip from playing too much hockey goaltending.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    totally absurd.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533

totally absurd.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    i lean left. with that being said, radical liberals are the most annoying humans on the planet.
  • Options

Your question actually brings up questions about how the right perceives things. Why do they take fringe actions of people destroying property and they attribute that to the left as a whole? Why does the right give their own a pass when they're violent? But back to your question about why they're different. I see conservatives as very fear driven and holding on to a past that never really existed in the first place, but they still want to go back there. I see them disregard facts because they often hold onto an outdated belief system woven with myths and misperceptions. They're succeptable to fear based messages because they're convinced their way of life is under attack. All a leader needs to do is create a villain where they can project these fears onto and they will follow along.

very good reply, a few of the points you mentioned cross over to both sides.

"They're succeptable to fear based messages because they're convinced their way of life is under attack. All a leader needs to do is create a villain where they can project these fears onto and they will follow along"

I really believe this to be true for people on both sides, the human species is so predictable and un-predictable at the same time.

" Why do they take fringe actions of people destroying property and they attribute that to the left as a whole? "
    because it's an easy target, we all...or most of us look for the easy target, the AMT is full of examples.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

totally absurd.

Yup
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

"They're succeptable to fear based messages because they're convinced their way of life is under attack. All a leader needs to do is create a villain where they can project these fears onto and they will follow along"

I really believe this to be true for people on both sides, the human species is so predictable and un-predictable at the same time.

" Why do they take fringe actions of people destroying property and they attribute that to the left as a whole? "
    because it's an easy target, we all...or most of us look for the easy target, the AMT is full of examples.

Who hacked godfather's account?
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,599
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

if I believe you or anybody else to be correct there is no point in arguing and your statement nailed it....people in general left or right.

• Options

if I believe you or anybody else to be correct there is no point in arguing and your statement nailed it....people in general left or right.

Compare the left's response when baby bush was in office to the right's response when Obama was. Of course it's going through my filter, but I saw the left reaction to bush as more specific to the action. E.g. Direct criticism to the Iraq war and what consequences that would have. The right's response to Obama was totally irrational. A constant theme of tossing out fear based labels: Kenyan Muslim Marxist blah blah. Not to mention the continual noise about how he was going to destroy the country, and now has left behind a disaster (don't bother asking for specifics about these, though).
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I lean for Liberty.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I wonder which way Timothy McVeigh leaned?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

just a thought:
    the supporters on the right seems to voice their opinions and concerns in a more quite civil kind of way like voting and peaceful rally's for the most part, I'm sure there a few
    right wingers that acted stupid but... the leftist seem to want to destroy public and private property, block freeways and handle their anger with violence but I'm sure this has

Any poll results where the pollster requests information and simultaneously introduces his or her own bias(es), should be invalidated immediately. Godfather, your opinion has no place in the solicitation of a polling question if you expect (or even want) honesty. Based on the way this is written, though, you're trying to solicit anger rather than information.

I am a leftist who does not want to destroy any property, block any freeway, or handle my anger with anything other than progressive change. The leftist you are describing exists, albeit as a more-vocal minority. An equally behaved rightist exists too, whose percentage relative to those 'extremists' on the left is unknowable by you or me in any meaningful (non-anecdotal) way.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    unsung said:

I lean for Liberty.

Could never tell from your White nationalist agenda posts.
  • Options
    benjs said:

just a thought:

Any poll results where the pollster requests information and simultaneously introduces his or her own bias(es), should be invalidated immediately. Godfather, your opinion has no place in the solicitation of a polling question if you expect (or even want) honesty. Based on the way this is written, though, you're trying to solicit anger rather than information.

I am a leftist who does not want to destroy any property, block any freeway, or handle my anger with anything other than progressive change. The leftist you are describing exists, albeit as a more-vocal minority. An equally behaved rightist exists too, whose percentage relative to those 'extremists' on the left is unknowable by you or me in any meaningful (non-anecdotal) way.
    Most of those are Hillary supporting Bernie and Jill haters. Jill and Bernie supporters knew it was over before but those neo alt lib punks didn't listen. I don't fight unless the other side draws first blood. Those types have no right to complain and riot and are just as bad as cult45. Fuck them.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    I dress to my left, thank you very much.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

benjs said:

just a thought:

Most of those are Hillary supporting Bernie and Jill haters. Jill and Bernie supporters knew it was over before but those neo alt lib punks didn't listen. I don't fight unless the other side draws first blood. Those types have no right to complain and riot and are just as bad as cult45. Fuck them.
    You think the people doing the property damage are Hillary supporters?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106

Compare the left's response when baby bush was in office to the right's response when Obama was. Of course it's going through my filter, but I saw the left reaction to bush as more specific to the action. E.g. Direct criticism to the Iraq war and what consequences that would have. The right's response to Obama was totally irrational. A constant theme of tossing out fear based labels: Kenyan Muslim Marxist blah blah. Not to mention the continual noise about how he was going to destroy the country, and now has left behind a disaster (don't bother asking for specifics about these, though).
    I mostly agree. But the left has taken a page from the right with their early attacks on the Donald...small hand...orange...hair...they've met the crazy right halfway.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

I mostly agree. But the left has taken a page from the right with their early attacks on the Donald...small hand...orange...hair...they've met the crazy right halfway.
    I see that as human physics - an action is getting an equal and opposite reaction. We have an authoritarian, xenophobic bigot president who has called on his supporters to be violent with the opposition. No surprise that some have gotten violent/destructive in their opposition.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    edited May 2017

just a thought:

GF, the news media loves to zoom in on the few fringe who like to trash shit. Fact is, most (so-called) left demonstrators are quite civil. If you attended some of these events, you'd know this to be true.

As far as leaning goes, I don't lean. I stand straight and tall (well, not as tall I as used to but, you know...)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    my2hands said:

I wonder which way Timothy McVeigh leaned?

A direction similar to alex jones and steve bannon
  • Options

I see that as human physics - an action is getting an equal and opposite reaction. We have an authoritarian, xenophobic bigot president who has called on his supporters to be violent with the opposition. No surprise that some have gotten violent/destructive in their opposition.
    didn't Obama do the same thing by saying anybody that votes Trump will is a disappointment to me ?...or something along those lines
    in fact I believe Hillary is guilty of the same thing telling her rioters/followers not to give up. putting all the right left stuff to the side this last election was a total abuse of trust by the candidates and even Obama abused his popularity and position ....in my opinion anyway.

• Options
    edited May 2017

I mostly agree. But the left has taken a page from the right with their early attacks on the Donald...small hand...
    Marco Rubio is left?

Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

didn't Obama do the same thing by saying anybody that votes Trump will is a disappointment to me ?...or something along those lines
    in fact I believe Hillary is guilty of the same thing telling her rioters/followers not to give up. putting all the right left stuff to the side this last election was a total abuse of trust by the candidates and even Obama abused his popularity and position ....in my opinion anyway.

point to me ONE example of obama or hillary calling on their supporters to be violent.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

Have you got a source for Obama saying that anyone who voted Trump was a disappointment to him?

I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Have you got a source for Obama saying that anyone who voted Trump was a disappointment to him?

I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask.
    oh please, you don't remember him stating something to that effect ? not those exact words but close enough ?