Options

Q for Santos/10C - NO GUITAR SOLOS transcribed in the PJ Anthology?!

davidosdavidos Posts: 468
edited April 2017 in The Porch
From the Amazon preview it appears so... Is this true? (Buying it either way...)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1495060411/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_Bfgazb2CEZHNT

Post edited by davidos on

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Looks like they'll be tabbed to me. The description says every note of every instrument. The "previews" are just that.

The bones of along PJ songs are pretty easy to figure out, so missing the finer details would be dropping the ball big time.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,960
    It says "every note of every song"
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

It says "every note of every song"

If you look at the Contents page the Alive tab starts at page 8... All or None starts at page 14.... Go to the preview... Every single page of the Alive tab is shown in the preview (8,9,10, 11,12,13)... page 14 is missing (the first page of All or None). THERE ARE NO GUITAR SOLOS TRANSCRIBED.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Yeah it does say "Guitar solo ad lib"....
    As someone who has tons of Hal Leonard books it is entirely possible that some songs will have solos transcribed and some won't. Alive does have a unique solo in that part is a tribute to Ace Frehley's solo in She (maybe a copyright issue?) and part is effect and noise that would take someone weeks to figure out and transcribe.

My guess is that the majority of solos are transcribed
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Guitar solo ad lib would make sense if it really was. But the actual translation of guitar solo ad lib is "we're lazy, and feel like only doing a half-assed transcription". This had the potential of being a killer anthology. The good news is that I just saved money! Definitely not buying this now.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321

Yeah it does say "Guitar solo ad lib"....
    As someone who has tons of Hal Leonard books it is entirely possible that some songs will have solos transcribed and some won't. Alive does have a unique solo in that part is a tribute to Ace Frehley's solo in She (maybe a copyright issue?) and part is effect and noise that would take someone weeks to figure out and transcribe.

My guess is that the majority of solos are transcribed

Sorry, but what you say is not true.. Alive solo is not at all a "noisy" solo, in any part of it.. the wah-wah pedal is featured, and you can hear it pretty well in the recording, but that does not make it a noisy solo (Scentless Apprentice by Nirvana is a noisy solo). and also is not at all what I would define a difficult solo to transcribe (or to even play).. the old hal leonard book for Ten included that solo (a decent transcription, not all the notes were spot on imo, but it's good enough if you wanted to have a clue about how it's played..)
    and the copyright issue.. sorry, you made me laugh with that (no offence)
    that being said, it would not make ANY sense to not include one of the most important and representative solos from PJ, and instead include some others.. My guess is this book DOES NOT contain solos. And even if it actually contains only a few, the description on Amazon says the exact opposite, 'every note of every instrument recorded' really does not leave any space to interpretations..
    I think the preview pages are the actual pages of the book, too.. why showing something that would make potential buyers thinking twice about the purchase (lacking of solos is a big let down)?

and... I have tons of musical books too.. I learnt with time that what's written on those books is not "gold" or pure truth.. you have to use your ear to correct or add what's missing or does not sounds right..
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, there are a few PJ solos that I would describe as "noisy" and I could see them passing those ever if things get real muddled or the effect really makes the solo, but Alive is as blues rock pentatonic wank as it gets. Any transcriber should be able to wing it and come pretty close. Be forgiveable if they at least covered the signature parts of the solos.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options

• Options
    It's not really an opinion.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    DewieCox said:

Its true. But in the context of everything else in Pearl Jam is awesome!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    The main thing I am looking for is all the rhythm stuff. Hopefully a lot of the solos are in there and especially the ones that are signature solos
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

Sorry, but what you say is not true.. Alive solo is not at all a "noisy" solo, in any part of it.. the wah-wah pedal is featured, and you can hear it pretty well in the recording, but that does not make it a noisy solo

Can't forget the unmistakable vibe effect in the Alive solo as well!!!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    DewieCox said:

I agree. Most PJ solos are like that, lots of pentatonic and stuff.. I can't see how anyone could define them "noisy"

But, back on topic.. real problem is: have you read the description on Amazon? The previews pages on that same site proves the description wrong. That's not good. And a little of a scam, too
  • Options
    edited April 2017

The main thing I am looking for is all the rhythm stuff. Hopefully a lot of the solos are in there and especially the ones that are signature solos

I agree the rhythm stuff will be great... (Amongst the Waves, etc...)

But Alive is about as signature as it gets... PJs biggest song... Every single time the song has been played live (1000x?) Mike starts the solo on the same few notes...
    Post edited by davidos on
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Well this is troubling :(
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

Well this is troubling :(

Sorry Mike... your guitar solos weren't good enough to make the book... they were just 'ad libs' anyway... :-(
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I would imagine there would be a lot of returns with Amazon if people ordered them for solos, with the description "every note from every song" and that isn't the case.
    I really dont see this book as that cool to begin with, stuff that is most likely not confirmed by the band and easily found for free online, and with a hefty price tag. This just makes it a little more lame.
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

My experience is that a good amount of transcriptions (tabs) found online are not correct. I'm personally better off figuring it out myself, or going back to my old guitar mags for the transcriptions.

In any case, this book is gonna be cool, solos or not. I'm pumped.

And besides...it's the rhythm parts you really need to know to play the song. Solos are cool to learn note-for-note, but I always thought it was cool to put your own mark on them when playing covers.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Personally speaking, after having spent years and years carefully listening to PJ songs, I know by heart most rhythm parts (if not all) and solos of the songs off the first 8 albums.. the last two I admit I spent less time trying to figure stuff out..
    So main reason I was pumped about this book was to finally be able to verify if the way I was playing these songs, expecially the little fills and riffs here and there not always very clearly audible in the recording, was correct or not.. looking at the Alive score, not only the solo, but other little fills and riffs appear to be missing (those who play guitar should know what I'm talking about).. This sucks, and it's not right advertising a book for something that it isn't (I'm talking about Amazon, because the TC description use the word 'streamlined', so that if guitar solos and some other things are missing, well.. it's streamlined, baby)
    It's just unfortunate that something I was so excited about has turned so quickly into an epic bummer.. and TC lack of communication is really frustrating. But it's always like that. Don't dare to ask too much questions around here. Kiss asses or shut up. Yeah, right.
    Post edited by Jammalambo on