Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Riot Act Round 2

Comments

• Options
    Green Disease

I have never, never liked Green Disease. From the first redundant line to the spelling bit - ugh.

Not even for a fleeting moment has this song given me any kind of pleasure.

This album is my least played one of them all. It's better than Backspacer, but I played that album a lot trying to 'get it'.

Listened to Riot Act a few times this past week reacquainting myself with it... it's better than I remembered it as.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Green Disease
    I seem to have spawned the Green Diaease Anti-Fan club :lol:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,838
    You Are

Never got into this song.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    1/2 Full

I full out admit my vote was out of spite. If a song with as sweet and as badass a grove as You Are has is going down, then it's not going down alone!

This is what happens when the masses vote poorly.

How do you see people here as voting poorly? Do you think they are not honest votes? Do you not accept the fact that we all hear things differently? What a boring world if we were all the same!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Cropduster
    mcgruff10 said:

Never got into this song.
    They've simply done a much better job with other tunes that have a similar style.
  • Options
    Green Disease
    You Are should not be making its exit this round.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cropduster
    Kind of the flip side to the minimum-10-votes-needed-to-be-eliminated rule that was put in to place a few albums ago, I wouldn't be against removing all five of the songs that are oh-so-close to being eliminated.

"Get that garbage outta here!" (That's for any of you Toronto Raptors fans out there - which probably isn't that many around here.)
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Cropduster

I have never, never liked Green Disease. From the first redundant line to the spelling bit - ugh.

I am in agreement with you. One of the few Pearl Jam songs I want to love because other people do but can't (Save You, Whipping, Blood, MFC, and a few others).
    Ha! Monster, indeed. Wow! I love all those, including green disease. So, you don't like songs with speed riffs, punk rock guitar licks or driving drums? You must be of the release, low light, thumbing, around the bend, nothingman persuasion? Pretty sweet that this band does it all so well and has room for all of us.
  • Options
    You Are

You Are should not be making its exit this round.

You're right, it should have been gone after the first round.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    Can't Keep

Not even for a fleeting moment has this song given me any kind of pleasure.

This album is my least played one of them all. It's better than Backspacer, but I played that album a lot trying to 'get it'.

Listened to Riot Act a few times this past week reacquainting myself with it... it's better than I remembered it as.
    Funny, I just listened to Backspacer yesterday and it's way better than I remembered. Got through it 2.5x on my commutes. Easy listening, only a few slow songs and good guitar work. I didn't even skip Just Breathe. I may have to re-evaluate my album rankings.

I actually wanted to listen to it the day before, but the damn album is their only one not on Google Play. Had to break out my CD for the car and realized I need to download it to my music.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cropduster

rgambs said:

tbergs said:

So we're voting off the strong guitar songs this round I see? Geez, we're going to end up with a Can't Keep vs. Thumbing My Way final at this rate. I'd be ok with All or None sneaking in there against Save You in the final.

Thumbing My Way is a very strong guitar song.
    Didn't Matt C even say it was his favourite of Eddies written songs.
    (Late response to this post)
    Kind of funny how the drummer of a relatively heavy band like Soundgarden appreciates such a tender song.

Speaking of which, I remember a long while back someone making a funny comment on the hypothetical situation where MC first introduces The Fixer to the other three members of SG (as opposed to PJ) and the "WTF" reaction he would have received from them.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    Cropduster
    So...I believe voting is over and there are two songs tied for fourth place. I guess it's "goodbye" to all five of Ghost, Cropduster, 1/2 Full, Green Disease, and You Are.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    Green Disease
    rummy said:

So...I believe voting is over and there are two songs tied for fourth place. I guess it's "goodbye" to all five of Ghost, Cropduster, 1/2 Full, Green Disease, and You Are.

Wow. Slaughtered
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    You Are
    rummy said:

Good riddance to them (except 1/2 full).
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Ghost
    rummy said:

Love Cropduster and 1/2 Full. Lot's of carnage this round.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    edited April 2017
    Save You

I am in agreement with you. One of the few Pearl Jam songs I want to love because other people do but can't (Save You, Whipping, Blood, MFC, and a few others).
    Ha! Monster, indeed. Wow! I love all those, including green disease. So, you don't like songs with speed riffs, punk rock guitar licks or driving drums? You must be of the release, low light, thumbing, around the bend, nothingman persuasion? Pretty sweet that this band does it all so well and has room for all of us.
    I very much dislike most of Pearl Jam's attempts at punk. I'm a fan of most slow Pearl Jam pre-Backspacer, but I love songs like Hail Hail, I Got Shit, Glorified G, Sad, Leash, Dissident, Do The Evolution, Mind Your Manners, Getaway, etc... Those particular songs I mentioned just never hit for me. I guess I gravitate to the slower, mid-tempo Pearl Jam for the most part. Songs like Big Wave and Supersonic are a waste to me.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Ghost
    rummy said:

Songs like Big Wave and Supersonic are a waste to me.

Ah man. I might be the only PJ fan in the world who LOVES Big Wave, Ole and Let The Records Play. ;)

• Options
    Cropduster

rummy said:

Ah man. I might be the only PJ fan in the world who LOVES Big Wave, Ole and Let The Records Play. ;)

Yup
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Ghost

rummy said:

Yup
    I try to see the glass as 1/2 full (Riot Act joke). Love Ed's lyrics on Big Wave.

I used to be crustacean
    In an underwater nation
    And I surf in celebration
    Of a billion adaptations

Got me a big wave, ride me a big wave, got me a big wave.
    Got me a big wave, ride me a big wave, got me a big wave.

Suck on that Ernest Hemmingway.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul_1j2BdZ8A
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,382
    edited April 2017
    Green Disease
    People are getting extra time to vote this round!

Edit- well it says wednesday, but also 4/27. So I guess thursday was the meaning
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Cropduster

Edit- well it says wednesday, but also 4/27. So I guess thursday was the meaning

True. This has been quite a long round. It started Monday morning, I think.
    More importantly, "You Are" is presently NOT in contention to be eliminated (this round). What do you think of that, Mike?
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited April 2017
    Cropduster

Yes, was meant to be Thursday. I knew I wouldn't be able to check it today till now, but I'll be on time tomorrow. This is quite the close round.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    You Are
    rummy said:

True. This has been quite a long round. It started Monday morning, I think.
    More importantly, "You Are" is presently NOT in contention to be eliminated (this round). What do you think of that, Mike?
    I have no words. "love is a tower..and you're the key"...gosh those lyrics are so cheesy.
  • Options
    Cropduster
    You Are is a gem. Most subtle lyrics in Ed's catalog? Maybe not, but it fits the song incredibly well. I tend to prefer, "If I'm the shoreline, then you're the sea"

And for Big Wave? Not my jam, but not a skip. The chorus...

I feel the need
    Planted in me
    Millions of years ago
    Can't you see
    The oceans size?
    Defining time
    And tide
    Arising
    Arms laid upon me
    Being so kind
    To let me ride

... at least gets my head bobbin. Some nice Matt Cameron work in that one too.

Now, Let the Records play?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cropduster
    Now, Let the Records Play?

That I can't abide.
    Post edited by whoanelly15 on
  • Options
    You Are

Now, Let the Records Play?

That I can't abide.

Let the records play is definitely a rough one to listen to.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    1/2 Full
    brianlux said:

I full out admit my vote was out of spite. If a song with as sweet and as badass a grove as You Are has is going down, then it's not going down alone!

How do you see people here as voting poorly? Do you think they are not honest votes? Do you not accept the fact that we all hear things differently? What a boring world if we were all the same!
    That was quite simply a quip aimed at my frustration of seeing my favorites go, heavily laden with sarcasm.
    rummy said:

"Get that garbage outta here!" (That's for any of you Toronto Raptors fans out there - which probably isn't that many around here.)

The Raptors can suck it!
    Sorry, not sorry, residual pissyness left from last year.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Cropduster
    The Raptors are terrible and so is their mascot. Let's go Bucks! Playin Buckets! Fear the Deer!

I know... don't bother telling me about what happens with the raptor vs buck mascot battle. Oh wait, except that one of them is extinct! So, come at me Toronto!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cropduster

brianlux said:

That was quite simply a quip aimed at my frustration of seeing my favorites go, heavily laden with sarcasm.
    rummy said:

The Raptors can suck it!
    Sorry, not sorry, residual pissyness left from last year.
    Ah, yes. That postponed concert. That was a bit ridiculous, wasn't it?
    (Off topic: Even if they get by Milwaukee tonight or in game 7, they will be annihilated by the Cavs).
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    You Are
    Can't believe You Are may not be eliminated.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
This discussion has been closed.