Options

4/23/17 Psst....

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531

Ah, the test. Everybody wants to hate on the evil corporation until they are $15 cheaper and provide free shipping.

Bye bye jobs for humans.

so it's my responsibility to pay more?
    No. Just don't bitch about how Wal-Mart and Amazon are killing the mom and pop shops and then complain the PJ goods prices and shipping are too high and slow. Economies of scale.

Not saying you are bitching.
    i get your point. i try to shop locally as much as i can. but i can only afford to shop responsibly for so much. i ain't made of money. not to mention, if amazon 'loses' your shit in the mail, they replace it. they don't say 'we'll refund you in 3 months' and by then it's sold out except for the ones they put on ebay.

it's not all about price is what i'm getting at. 10c is no mom and pop shop.
    I understand. 10c shop may not be a mom and pop but I don't think it is that far off though. Probably run with a staff less than 10 people would be my guess.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Ah, the test. Everybody wants to hate on the evil corporation until they are $15 cheaper and provide free shipping.

Bye bye jobs for humans.

so it's my responsibility to pay more?
    No. Just don't bitch about how Wal-Mart and Amazon are killing the mom and pop shops and then complain the PJ goods prices and shipping are too high and slow. Economies of scale.

Not saying you are bitching.
    i get your point. i try to shop locally as much as i can. but i can only afford to shop responsibly for so much. i ain't made of money. not to mention, if amazon 'loses' your shit in the mail, they replace it. they don't say 'we'll refund you in 3 months' and by then it's sold out except for the ones they put on ebay.

it's not all about price is what i'm getting at. 10c is no mom and pop shop.
    I understand. 10c shop may not be a mom and pop but I don't think it is that far off though. Probably run with a staff less than 10 people would be my guess.
    when i say 'not mom and pop' with regards to the fan club, i am not talking staff numbers, i am talking financials of the parent company.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418

Bye bye jobs for humans.

+1
    Not trying to be a smart-ass, really just don't know how these things work. If the evil corporation is a problem for being able to afford selling at $15 less w/ free shipping, why make, in this case, the book available through those channels and not only through the PJ site?
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,023
    Because it is a Hal Leonard product, not 10club. This is a worldwide book release supposed to make money for the publisher, not just some niche-product for a bunch of merch-obsessed fanboys.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    mrk2 said:

Because it is a Hal Leonard product, not 10club. This is a worldwide book release supposed to make money for the publisher, not just some niche-product for a bunch of merch-obsessed fanboys.

if the band is obviously on board with their product being sold for cheaper through the "evil corporations", then the "+1" from Santos should be directed at his bosses, not their customers.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Never had any issues with 10C's customer service. Never had any issues with Amazon's.

I love supporting my local record shop, my local small grocer, etc. sometimes tho price matters and u cant fault someone for wanting to pay less.

That being said I usually always buy from 10C. Its slower and often more expensive but just feels better. Groceries tho im doing walmart or target these days. Shit adds up when the local grocer is $2 more on every product.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mrk2 said:

CSB - I was camping once, I forget where, somewhere in the midwest. There was a ukelele ensemble playing at the bandshell. Must have been some holiday or something. Turned out to be Hal Leonard and his crew. I met Hal Leonard and thanked him for teaching me uke & guitar.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321

mrk2 said:

if the band is obviously on board with their product being sold for cheaper through the "evil corporations", then the "+1" from Santos should be directed at his bosses, not their customers.
    One of the most intelligent things I ever read on here.. If they wanted to, they could have made this a fan club exclusive (and better done) product, without even using Hal-Leonard..
    hell, I would have made this for free (with just a little help from the band where needed)
    I even have some scores already done (Sad, Hard to Imagine, In the Moonlight) using musescore.. kinda like what I did for Evacuation.. If I was to be making them officially, I would have included solos too!
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439

Never had any issues with 10C's customer service. Never had any issues with Amazon's.

I love supporting my local record shop, my local small grocer, etc. sometimes tho price matters and u cant fault someone for wanting to pay less.

That being said I usually always buy from 10C. Its slower and often more expensive but just feels better. Groceries tho im doing walmart or target these days. Shit adds up when the local grocer is $2 more on every product.

That's an excellent point. Now that I think about it, I've had more issues with Amazon than 10C. When USPS loses an Amazon package, Amazon tells me to pound sand at least 20% of the time. 10C has always fixed whatever issue I had.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

That's an excellent point. Now that I think about it, I've had more issues with Amazon than 10C. When USPS loses an Amazon package, Amazon tells me to pound sand at least 20% of the time. 10C has always fixed whatever issue I had.
    really? I have had zero issues with returns with amazon, however, I haven't bought a tonne from them.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    edited April 2017

KV4053 said:

really? I have had zero issues with returns with amazon, however, I haven't bought a tonne from them.
    Yep. Happens rarely, but when it does it's always USPS fault, but amazon won't do anything to help, but they will keep my money.

Edit: And that, boys and girls, is a run on sentence.
    Post edited by KV4053 on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I think this is an awesome product. I figured I'd wait a while to order it. Last night driving home I thought about how I would probably choose Amazon for $56. Here is what I decided. Some how, some way, Pearl Jam is going to get that $35 I saved even if I buy this one PJ product through Amazon. I just bought a mystery box this month, surely I'm going to buy something else before you know it. Wrigley DVD yes; concert tickets yes; renew my membership, yes; a new shirt/hat/poster, yes, not this month but some time soon. They're going to get my money! And I'll be more likely to buy something else soon by justifying it with well I did save $35 on that guitar book.

This is a huge publication, not a ten club exclusive. Hal Leonard is a huge publisher. This is a big deal.

Are there really not guitar solos?? Or is this just a theory? So far my only complaint is the small size of the book. For that many pages, and to match Uke Songs/PJ vs Ames, I wish it was the same size as those books. This is smaller l x w than a sheet of paper. Sure there must be a reason for that, but it's kind of a bummer. I know the Beatles Anthology book etc is the same size, so maybe it's a publisher guideline.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Not a theory.. have you looked the preview pages on Amazon? This does not appear like a good product at all.. if anything, the title should be changed from 'the complete scores' to 'the approximative scores'
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited April 2017

wonder why they chose not to include lost dogs. not a complaint, just curious.

The publishing company drew the line at Sweet Lew. The band had to know it was coming.
    Yeah, I'd much rather learn Aye Davanita. LOL
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing the Aye Davanita tab. I'm not saying it is a great song by any means.

I hope the band had some input into how the songs are played. That would be a lot of time though so not holding my breath too much.
    I would imagine that it was more of a thing where they commissioned someone to do it, and they signed off on its accuracy.
    I would imagine they approved the release of the book at the very most and had no input whatsoever in the content.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

The publishing company drew the line at Sweet Lew. The band had to know it was coming.
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing the Aye Davanita tab. I'm not saying it is a great song by any means.

I hope the band had some input into how the songs are played. That would be a lot of time though so not holding my breath too much.
    I would imagine that it was more of a thing where they commissioned someone to do it, and they signed off on its accuracy.
    I would imagine they approved the release of the book at the very most and had no input whatsoever in the content.
    I am expecting if PJ goods is selling that it is at least lyrically correct.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

DewieCox said:

I am expecting if PJ goods is selling that it is at least lyrically correct.
    Maybe, but then again, they did just put out a version of Who You Are with the wrong lyrics.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    KV4053 said:

KV4053 said:

Yep. Happens rarely, but when it does it's always USPS fault, but amazon won't do anything to help, but they will keep my money.

Not sure what you are talking about but Amazon has amazing customer service. For the amount of goods they sell each day it's pretty amazing how well they do.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    hsohi said:

KV4053 said:

KV4053 said:

Not sure what you are talking about but Amazon has amazing customer service. For the amount of goods they sell each day it's pretty amazing how well they do.
    Yeah they have always bent over backwards for me. I order a lot of shit though.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Amazon has always been great customer service for the most part. When they have messed up the Customer Services, I have always been given free stuff. Refunds, exchanges, etc.... easy as can be.

I have supported 10c for about 15 years. Spent multiple thousands of dollars. All things even, or close to even, and I always choose 10c. This though, when we are talking $20-$40 worth of savings, sorry 10c.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    Agreed with the last few peeps. Amazons customer service has been flawless for me. Don't send it back, just keep it and we'll refund it kind of thing many times. I always do 10c for the possibility of a variant but when price is this different and the variant includes a bookmark I kinda have to go the cheaper route. Definitely bummed about the solos though, and the size of the book makes it hard to hold open page 400 while playing a song. Kinda wish the variant from 10c included a stand or something to aid while playing- that woulda been more worth the extra cash than a bookmark
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

hsohi said:

KV4053 said:

KV4053 said:

Yeah they have always bent over backwards for me. I order a lot of shit though.
    You order a lot of shit?

A little Happy Gilmore humor....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Ordered one on amazon for $45..couldn't resist. Plus I have prime so free shipping.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Still not sure if I'm pulling the trigger, but if I do, it will be via Amazon. $48.87 with tax shipped to me, vs. $97.89 with tax and shipping via 10c. I don't really need a $49.02 bookmark. :lol:
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    jeffbr said:

Still not sure if I'm pulling the trigger, but if I do, it will be via Amazon. $48.87 with tax shipped to me, vs. $97.89 with tax and shipping via 10c. I don't really need a $49.02 bookmark. :lol:

With all those savings just think of all the extra beer you could buy.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    These bookmarks will become the new sticker craze!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

jeffbr said:

With all those savings just think of all the extra beer you could buy.
    Now you're talking! Sounds like a plan to me.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    mcgruff10 said:

Ordered one on amazon for $45..couldn't resist. Plus I have prime so free shipping.

It's down to $45?! Holy crap. So now we are talking about a $45 book and a $45 bookmark. That's IF you live in the US. The bookmark costs more if you're outside the US. And you're right, the bookmark will go for $20 on the secondary market like a sticker!

Sorry, but maybe some kind of discount to paid members could have worked better, instead of flat cover price AND shipping.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

in two years you're going to see threads "ISO: Anthology Bookmark, have posters/vinyl for trade!"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

FoxyRedLa said:

in two years you're going to see threads "ISO: Anthology Bookmark, have posters/vinyl for trade!"
    As Metallica would say "Sad but true"!
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 911
    You guys will miss this place when it's gone. . . Many of you have thousands of posts and this site has become a part of your daily routines, I know it has for me, but hey your saving $30 or so. Don't need the other exclusive Merch, lotteries, etc that the $30 you save funds.