Options

Mirrorball+Merkinball

thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
edited April 2017 in The Porch
I love Neil Young's Merkinball (Pearl Jam is his backing band on this 1995 album for those who don't know). I also love I Got Id (or ID, Shit, etc.) and Long Road which were two songs both cut from Mirrorball, but ended up on Pearl Jam's own Merkinball.

Question 1. Would Mirrorball have been stronger with the inclusion of the two Merkinball tracks with Ed's vocals? (I Got Id and Long Road - Peace and Love also has Ed's vocals)
Question 2. Can we consider Mirrorball a Pearl Jam album in spirit, or strictly a Neil Young album?
Post edited by thispureamericanriot on

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979

I love Neil Young's Merkinball (Pearl Jam is his backing band on this 1995 album for those who don't know). I also love I Got Id (or ID, Shit, etc.) and Long Road which were two songs both cut from Mirrorball, but ended up on Pearl Jam's own Merkinball.

Question 1. Would Mirrorball have been stronger with the inclusion of the two Merkinball tracks with Ed's vocals? (I Got Id and Long Road - Peace and Love also has Ed's vocals)
    Question 2. Can we consider Mirrorball a Pearl Jam album in spirit, or strictly a Neil Young album?

Q1
    Personally, I think they differ in style to the NY tracks. Maybe with Eddie singing more on the Mirrorball-tracks it would fit more. Was any songs recorded during this sessions that didn't end up on the album or EP?

Q2
    Collab and/or Neil Young album. I never consider it a PJ album.

Q3
    Yes, they should record a follow up. And yes, Neil Youngs Living with War from 2006(?) would have been a great follow up project.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    The ed songs were supposed to be on the record, but record company said no. Wouldn't even let the name Pearl Jam be used anywhere on the record.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,148
    I feel it's like ToTD. Its Pearl Jam with a different front man. So it's really not PJ.

It is pretty cool that we have a few albums where completely different people front the same band though :)
  • Options
    NewJPage said:

The ed songs were supposed to be on the record, but record company said no. Wouldn't even let the name Pearl Jam be used anywhere on the record.

Any reason given for this? I would reckon the PJ name would have helped in promotions and help to sell more records?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    edited April 2017

1. I agree with Spiritual_Chaos in that they are different enough in style to be separate. The only think would have (and still would!) do is put Merkinball out on 12" 45 RPM vinyl. My little 7" (the only one I've found at a somewhat reasonable price was used- wish I'd bought it when it came out!) is a bit scratchy- but I love it anyway!

2. It's great that Pearl Jam got the opportunity to back Neil on Mirrorball (and I imagine they both felt that way) but the songs are Young's, it was his concept, he was giving the band a big boost by giving them the opportunity to work with him, so my belief is that Mirorball stands as it should as a Neil Young album. If it were not for record contract constrictions, I'm sure Young would have given more direct credit for the backing band than he was able to.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

NewJPage said:

Any reason given for this? I would reckon the PJ name would have helped in promotions and help to sell more records?
    Different record lables I think.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Zod said:

I feel it's like ToTD. Its Pearl Jam with a different front man. So it's really not PJ.

It is pretty cool that we have a few albums where completely different people front the same band though :)

Curious, what are the "few albums" you mention? Who else has PJ backed besides Neil Young?
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455
    I remember the label issues about credit on Mirrorball. I do not ever recall hearing that I Got Shit and Long Road were ever meant to be on Mirrorball. What's the source for that tidbit?
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

I remember the label issues about credit on Mirrorball. I do not ever recall hearing that I Got Shit and Long Road were ever meant to be on Mirrorball. What's the source for that tidbit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_Ball_(Neil_Young_album)
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455

KV4053 said:

I'm gonna defer to my memory this one time.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    dreamcodedreamcode Posts: 165
    As I recall not all members of PJ is on Merkinball. Is it Jeff who is not playing the bass?
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    dreamcode said:

As I recall not all members of PJ is on Merkinball. Is it Jeff who is not playing the bass?

I Got Shit is Ed, Neil, Jack, Brendan
    Long Road is Ed, Neil, Jack, Jeff
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options

dreamcode said:

I Got Shit is Ed, Neil, Jack, Brendan
    Long Road is Ed, Neil, Jack, Jeff
    So from this information you could say that not even Merkinball is a PJ record. But I guess that goes for a lot of the TenClub singles as well then...
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I've always wondered why more PJ members didnt record I got id and Long Road. Only thing I remember reading is that they were the only ones recording at the time Ed introduced the songs or something. But still seems weird to be the producer played bass on one of my favorite songs and not Jeff.
    Anyone have more info why?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I know Wikipedia is not a reliable source, but here's what they say about it:

The tracks on Merkin Ball were recorded at the tail end of the Mirror Ball sessions in February 1995. The songs were produced and mixed by Pearl Jam sound engineer Brett Eliason. Pearl Jam vocalist Eddie Vedder was not around much for the Mirror Ball recording sessions due to what he called a "pretty intense stalker problem." Vedder said that "leaving the house wasn't the easiest thing to do." He would refer to the issue in the song "Lukin" from Pearl Jam's 1996 album, No Code.

Vedder wrote and performed vocals and guitar on the songs "I Got Id" and "Long Road", which were omitted from Mirror Ball. Because of legal complications between Epic Records and Reprise Records, the songs and the band name "Pearl Jam" were not allowed to be included on the full Mirror Ball album, so they were released separately as a Pearl Jam single. Neil Young contributed lead guitar to "I Got Id" and pump organ to "Long Road." Mirror Ball producer Brendan O'Brien plays bass on "I Got Id" while Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament plays bass on "Long Road." Pearl Jam drummer Jack Irons plays drums on both tracks.
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • Options

I know Wikipedia is not a reliable source, but here's what they say about it:

Everything you quoted had footnotes...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I've read that before. Still doesn't say why no one was around. I just wonder if Ed shows up with a song and Neil is around, why isnt the rest of the band. Maybe there wasn't a reason at all.
    I guess if I was really curious enough I could read all the resources, so I cant be that curious.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    totally forgot that there was no stone or mike on merkin. weird.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Wonder if Neil will do any kind of archives release around Mirrorball. Live show would be awesome.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Wonder if Neil will do any kind of archives release around Mirrorball. Live show would be awesome.

Terrific idea! I would love that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Neil Young and Pearl Jam - 1995-08-26 Dublin, Ireland
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Q7ZNhwOQc
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    brianlux said:

An Archives release would be amazing! Neil has released Volumes 00, 01, 02, 02.5, 03, 09, 11, and 12 of his live archives so far; I'm hoping that Volume 13 or 14 will be something from the Booker T & The MGs tour, followed by something from the NeilJam Mirrorball tour. They only did 11 shows, and the set lists didn't change that much, but the boots that are out there are pretty good. The Dublin show would be great to have on vinyl.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,025
    The Dublin show was professionally filmed (but never released) so that's a good contender for an archive release.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 457
    mace1229 said:

I've always wondered why more PJ members didnt record I got id and Long Road. Only thing I remember reading is that they were the only ones recording at the time Ed introduced the songs or something. But still seems weird to be the producer played bass on one of my favorite songs and not Jeff.
    Anyone have more info why?

The PJ20 book mentions that Jeff had the flu around that time and missed a couple of the recording dates including the day that "I Got ID" was recorded.
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II | Wrigley I & II
    [82*]
  • Options
    mrk2 said:

The Dublin show was professionally filmed (but never released) so that's a good contender for an archive release.

By Jim Sheridan no less.

And Jonathan Demme (no less) who passed today, shot Neil Young and Crazy Horse just after on 35mm with the cinematographer of Silence of the Lambs/Sixth Sense etc. Also not released.

Neil Young should get on realsing both,
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Mirrorball is a classic IMO. A record that really got me excited to learn how to play guitar.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    goldrush said:

brianlux said:

An Archives release would be amazing! Neil has released Volumes 00, 01, 02, 02.5, 03, 09, 11, and 12 of his live archives so far; I'm hoping that Volume 13 or 14 will be something from the Booker T & The MGs tour, followed by something from the NeilJam Mirrorball tour. They only did 11 shows, and the set lists didn't change that much, but the boots that are out there are pretty good. The Dublin show would be great to have on vinyl.
    Yes! Neil/ The Booker T live stuff is said to be great. I remember reading about them in one of Jack Rabbid's "Big Takeover" issues and he said the same thing- that this stuff needs to be released!

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    brianlux said:

goldrush said:

brianlux said:

Yes! Neil/ The Booker T live stuff is said to be great. I remember reading about them in one of Jack Rabbid's "Big Takeover" issues and he said the same thing- that this stuff needs to be released!

My first ever Neil show was with Booker T, July 11th 1993 in Finsbury Park, London. It was also my first PJ show and the first time I saw them jam on RITFW with Neil :).

Mr. Soul
    The Loner
    Southern Man
    Helpless
    Like a Hurricane
    Motorcycle Mama
    Love to Burn
    Separate Ways
    Powderfinger
    Only Love Can Break Your Heart
    Harvest Moon
    The Needle and the Damage Done
    Live to Ride
    Down by the River
    Encore 1:
    (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay
    All Along the Watchtower
    Encore 2:
    Rockin' in the Free World (with Pearl Jam)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    My first live experience with PJ was the Mirrorball concert at Roskilde (HeyDay). First time I witnessed Neil pump organ too
    he just gives it away...