Options

***Small or Exotic Animals Pet Thread***

PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
So I searched and could not find a thread for sharing our small or exotic animals...

We have a Netherlands Dwarf Bunny, he's a tiny little grey bunny, his color is called "Chinchilla". He weighs in at 2.5 lbs. His name is Cadbury. He is so sweet! We got him at the Oregon State Fair last year.
photo cadbury.jpg

Bunny Teefus!
photo Screenshot_2017-04-22-08-44-07.jpg

Chillin'...
photo Screenshot_2017-04-22-08-44-26.jpg

Mommy is a bunny too...? lol
photo Screenshot_2017-04-22-08-45-01.jpg

So I am sure I can't be the only one with a small or exotic pet...please, SHARE! :)
Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
Tattooed Dissident!

Comments

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Aww splendid thread idea!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Precious!

I'm more of a larger-pet lover, but I remember our having a small (not exotic) parakeet growing up.

My sister, at maybe 6 or so, hugged said parakeet a bit too hard. We didn't have tiny pets after that.

(except for Pickles, our hamster...he lived a good, albeit short, life)
  • Options
    awww, your poor sister!

I had a hamster named Slingblade at one point, he was a little white and blonde thing...and he got loose once and my grandma's dog found him and cornered him in a closet and barked until we came...it was like she knew, "Hey you shouldn't be out loose like this...let me get your mom!"

And I just love animals of all kinds....my hubs does too, so we're a good match! We will have a menagerie some day! lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    I can't wait to see what cool pets show up in This thread. Can't wait to have another snake.
  • Options
    Had a rat when
    I was little. His name was Chucky like
    Chuck E. Cheese. He was a really cool pet. I just can't even tell you what happened to him.. just one of those things I have a hard time forgiving..
  • Options
    C'mon.. no one has a bird, or a snake, or some other crazy exotic pet they want to share?
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    My avatar picture is of Rocky, my pet cockatiel. He's a funny little guy.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    I used to have a pair of Molly Uromastyx.

Cousins to the chuckwalla.

Great lizards. Really friendly.

I like the Bunnies and the birds above!!!

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878

C'mon.. no one has a bird, or a snake, or some other crazy exotic pet they want to share?

or a feret?

i just have my cats
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Ferrets are AWESOME!
  • Options

Cockatiels are great pets. We had them
    growing up, and I really loved my two. Their names were Ruth and Jehoshaphat.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I had one growing up too. His name was Feathers, so named by my sister because we weren't really sure if it was a boy or girl. Got him when I was 3 and he passed away when I was 27. I took him when my dad passed away because my mom wasn't particularly fond of him. He was a pretty chill bird. Didn't rattle too easily and was good with being handled.

Rocky, on the other hand, is really energetic. When he gets excited, which is often, he'll hop from one leg to the other, rocking back and forth (hence his name). He's an affectionate bird and loves attention, but he really hates people's hands so it's hard to play with him. We've had him about 6 years now and he still won't let me take him out of his cage. I have to take the top off and let him find his way out. Once he's out he's fine with being handled, so it's very odd behavior with him. I've tried all of the taming techniques, I just think that's his personality.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I had one growing up too. His name was Feathers, so named by my sister because we weren't really sure if it was a boy or girl. Got him when I was 3 and he passed away when I was 27. I took him when my dad passed away because my mom wasn't particularly fond of him. He was a pretty chill bird. Didn't rattle too easily and was good with being handled.

Rocky, on the other hand, is really energetic. When he gets excited, which is often, he'll hop from one leg to the other, rocking back and forth (hence his name). He's an affectionate bird and loves attention, but he really hates people's hands so it's hard to play with him. We've had him about 6 years now and he still won't let me take him out of his cage. I have to take the top off and let him find his way out. Once he's out he's fine with being handled, so it's very odd behavior with him. I've tried all of the taming techniques, I just think that's his personality.
    Have you tried offering him a traversing pole for him to climb on from inside his little house? Jehoshaphat didn't like our hands either. We kept a dowel as a traversing pole. And he'd climb on that, and then move up to our arms. He was a weirdo.. I swear he thought he was a rooster. I had him until I left for college. He was a good bird.. Ruth was not very exceptional, save for she laid HUGE eggs.
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options

This is Flash my Painted Turtle.
  • Options

Have you tried offering him a traversing pole for him to climb on from inside his little house? Jehoshaphat didn't like our hands either. We kept a dowel as a traversing pole. And he'd climb on that, and then move up to our arms. He was a weirdo.. I swear he thought he was a rooster. I had him until I left for college. He was a good bird.. Ruth was not very exceptional, save for she laid HUGE eggs.
    We tried that for about a month, but he never used it. Always looked at us like we were crazy for putting there. We've just learned to accept his quirks and oddities.
  • Options

This is Flash my Painted Turtle.

Love the name!
  • Options

@elwayvedder
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048

@elwayvedder
    what a beautiful cockatiel! what did you think i was going to say?! LOL
    We have a cockatiel as well and he sings a bunch of songs including Darth Vader's music and the hook to Black.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
  • Options
    You've got a beautiful bird too elwayvedder.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    I have a crested gecko named Chip, short for Chocolate Chip. It's a colour morph called Dalmatian Spots but to us he looks more like a chocolate chip cookie. The gecko we had before Chip was quite chill and allowed us to handle him, but Chip is naturally anxious and still isn't used to us after 6 years. Crested geckos are beautiful little lizards, fun to keep, and easy to feed because they are not insectivores (so you don't have to worry about keeping or purchasing crickets, mealworms, etc.)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,915

I have a crested gecko named Chip, short for Chocolate Chip. It's a colour morph called Dalmatian Spots but to us he looks more like a chocolate chip cookie. The gecko we had before Chip was quite chill and allowed us to handle him, but Chip is naturally anxious and still isn't used to us after 6 years. Crested geckos are beautiful little lizards, fun to keep, and easy to feed because they are not insectivores (so you don't have to worry about keeping or purchasing crickets, mealworms, etc.)

Picture please :)

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

Picture please :)

It's hard to get good pictures because of the lighting in the tank but I'll try.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

I had western banded geckos that I had caught myself whilst living in Tucson, (I believe that's the only area where they can be found?) and they were skiddish too until it was feeding time and oh boy they came out of the woodwork to get at them crickets.

The Mollys I had on the other hand were friendly. If I walked over to the tank they would want to see what's up and weren't scared of being held.
  • Options
    Awesome birds guys! My hubs best friend has an African Grey named Harrison, it's the strangest bird...lol He hates females...he will attack you if he gets close enough to you...but only girls...lol He thinks it's actually a female itself and that's why but he doesn't know and never had anyone check.

I would love to pics of your lizards, I really want a couple of Leopard Geckos...they are so cute and from what I've heard really chill and friends little guys.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

Awesome birds guys! My hubs best friend has an African Grey named Harrison, it's the strangest bird...lol He hates females...he will attack you if he gets close enough to you...but only girls...lol He thinks it's actually a female itself and that's why but he doesn't know and never had anyone check.

I would love to pics of your lizards, I really want a couple of Leopard Geckos...they are so cute and from what I've heard really chill and friends little guys.

Does the friend have a wife or daughters? If not, it could be that the bird is not used to being around women and flight or fight kicks in. I do know that African Greys tend to strongly bond with one person. Could be the bird picks up on a potential "threat" to your friend.
  • Options

PJSiren said:

Does the friend have a wife or daughters? If not, it could be that the bird is not used to being around women and flight or fight kicks in. I do know that African Greys tend to strongly bond with one person. Could be the bird picks up on a potential "threat" to your friend.
    African Greys are territorial too, so there's that..quick way to tell them apart if they are older than 1 1/2 yrs.. is the males have red Ventral feathers on the undersides of their tail feathers.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    When I lived up in Cedar Grove I there was a wolf spider named Ralph who lived in my bathroom for several months. He was free to come and go as he pleased so I'm not sure that counts as "pet". But we did have some good conversations, me on the can, him up on the wall.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

When I lived up in Cedar Grove I there was a wolf spider named Ralph who lived in my bathroom for several months. He was free to come and go as he pleased so I'm not sure that counts as "pet". But we did have some good conversations, me on the can, him up on the wall.

lol I had a spider that lived in a burnt out electric socket. He would come out everyday in the morning and climb up on the arm the couch and do
    'Push ups while we watched the early morning news. I would drink my coffee.. the spider would do push ups. When I turned off the tv to go to work, he'd go back into his little receptacle.. I called him Fred.
  • Options

brianlux said:

lol I had a spider that lived in a burnt out electric socket. He would come out everyday in the morning and climb up on the arm the couch and do
    'Push ups while we watched the early morning news. I would drink my coffee.. the spider would do push ups. When I turned off the tv to go to work, he'd go back into his little receptacle.. I called him Fred.
    Then.. Ace ate him one day.. just watched him do push ups.. all intent, head cocked.. then he just licked him up and ate him.. poor Fred..