Poll--The Weakest Link: Binaural Round 4

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Of The Girl
    ^^^All that being said, I still love it and was glad to hear it both times I caught it live!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Of The Girl

This poll has been meaningless since Rival was removed!

lol
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,627
    Grievance
    Of the Girl is the second best opener imo next to Release. The only songs I put ahead of it on this album are NAIS and Parting Ways.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Grievance
    this blows
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Grievance
    mcgruff10 said:

rummy said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

i refuse to vote

Just wait until ghost is knocked out.
    ...in the first round

Lol!
    Hell yeah!!!! Lol
    Poor guy.

I know you're just messing with him but I think Ghost should make it through the first round. I predict (mind you I've been wrong many times before) that Bu$hleaguer is too polarizing to make it through; Get Right has been forgotten (EV even admits it) by the band and probably by quite a few fans; and I think enough people will have the stones to votes against Arc.
    My two favorite songs off riot act are I am mine and half full. I d like to see them in the final but like binaural, riot act is wide open. Arc is amazing too. As long as you are goes out early I ll be ok.
    I like to mess with dimitris lol.
    I was trying to think which few Riot Act songs have the legs to make it to the end but struggled with it just as much as I did with Binaural. I suppose if I were to predict a winner, I'd have to take the safe route and choose "I Am Mine" (since it was the lead single) but I suppose there are five or six others that could potentially take that title.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Grievance
    4 of my favorites remain...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Insignificance
    rgambs said:

Of the Girl is one of the more interesting songs on the record with great guitar from Mike. If one thinks this song is repetitive than Release is just as repetitive and it still won off of their best album.

The first three rock songs on Binaural are b-side quality in PJ's catalog. No question. Evidence is based on how little they are played live.

I disagree, I think Mike's guitar work is wasted, this is a blues song, and when you listen to it you are always waiting for him to run a tasty blues lead that melts your face, and he never does. If Buddy Guy played Of the Girl, he would shred it and everyone would have to change their pants.

I don't think it's repetitive, I think it's more formulaic, and when you are working within a framework like that, you can't hold back at all.

Also, the lyrics, there just isn't much there. There are only 8 distinct lines of lyric and none of them stand out above the rest.
    Whatever your technical critique might be of it... it sounds really good.

It just works. For me anyways.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited April 2017
    Insignificance
    am I missing something with insignificance? man im going to have to revisit this song....

grievance ahead in the polls? man that song is so powerful.... and mike once again is a beast.
    Post edited by Nami on
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Grievance

NAIS and Parting Ways being gone and Grievance being alive is insane!

Right ther with you.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

Can't believe Grievance made it to the semi-finals and NAIS didn't.

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    MedozK said:

“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    bbiggs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I can't believe parting ways is gone.

I second that

This poll has been meaningless since Rival was removed!

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Insignificance
    Who are these people voting off Of the Girl?Experimental, beautiful Pearl Jam, and fucking Insignificance is beating it out???
    My god!!!!
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Grievance

PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

• thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Of The Girl
    I generally always like Stone songs but Of The Girl never caught on with me early. Honestly, if it were electric and a bit faster, I'd probably really like it.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    Light Years
    I wonder if the results would have been different if one song was removed every turn.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    cutz said:

Right ther with you.
    mcgruff10 said:

i refuse to vote

Just wait until ghost is knocked out.
    like i give a fuck for the poll after this!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_auVWNxZsc
    Of The Girl

rgambs said:

Of the Girl is one of the more interesting songs on the record with great guitar from Mike. If one thinks this song is repetitive than Release is just as repetitive and it still won off of their best album.

The first three rock songs on Binaural are b-side quality in PJ's catalog. No question. Evidence is based on how little they are played live.

I disagree, I think Mike's guitar work is wasted, this is a blues song, and when you listen to it you are always waiting for him to run a tasty blues lead that melts your face, and he never does. If Buddy Guy played Of the Girl, he would shred it and everyone would have to change their pants.

I don't think it's repetitive, I think it's more formulaic, and when you are working within a framework like that, you can't hold back at all.

Also, the lyrics, there just isn't much there. There are only 8 distinct lines of lyric and none of them stand out above the rest.

Oh, it works for me too!
    There is only one PJ song I actually don't enjoy listening to.
    I like trying to rank the songs objectively, I'm a little disappointed at the level of objective, qualitative critique.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Grievance

I wonder if the results would have been different if one song was removed every turn.

Maybe but we'd still be working through Vs.
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Grievance
    MedozK said:

mcgruff10 said:

Still in mourning over Breakerfall going out in round 2!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Insignificance
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

Can't believe you vote for Of the Girl.
    There are substantive reasons that I have mentioned throughout this process.
    Are you interested in articulating why you think Of the Girl stands out? Is it just a preference you have or is there a reason you think it belongs in the top tier?
    There were some very outstanding, unique and quintessentially "Pearl Jam" songs eliminated, I don't see a case for Of the Girl matching up.
    I didn't realize we had to present a thesis on why we like a certain song. Yes, it's my preference. Note to self - do not joke with 10 club members
    I'm through with screaming
  • Insignificance

I generally always like Stone songs but Of The Girl never caught on with me early. Honestly, if it were electric and a bit faster, I'd probably really like it.

The tempo is one of the things I love about it, though. Beautiful song.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Insignificance
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Oh, it works for me too!
    There is only one PJ song I actually don't enjoy listening to.
    I like trying to rank the songs objectively, I'm a little disappointed at the level of objective, qualitative critique.
    Not everything can be evaluated as you suggest though.

Music is much more art than science. Its value- as we are witnessing- is in the ear of the beholder.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Of The Girl

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

Can't believe you vote for Of the Girl.
    There are substantive reasons that I have mentioned throughout this process.
    Are you interested in articulating why you think Of the Girl stands out? Is it just a preference you have or is there a reason you think it belongs in the top tier?
    There were some very outstanding, unique and quintessentially "Pearl Jam" songs eliminated, I don't see a case for Of the Girl matching up.
    I didn't realize we had to present a thesis on why we like a certain song. Yes, it's my preference. Note to self - do not joke with 10 club members
    You don't have to, it's just nice when people do. It enhances the conversation and the outlook on the songs when people give reasons for their preference or distaste, rather than just maligning someone else's opinion.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Light Years
    Easy choice now. No comparison between Light Years and the others. And I really can't believe it's still here over NAIS. These polls if nothing else have showed me how different my PJ taste is than most others. Most of the songs I love are getting booted early for every album. Kinda knew that for the others but thought they would hold up longer for Binaural.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Light Years
    I've delayed until now to vote because I was wavering but if I wait much longer I'll miss this round.

Not that I love any of the remainders; my favourites are already gone. But of the four remaining, I'd like to see Insignificance win. I guess that's not going to happen, either ;).
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Of The Girl

I've delayed until now to vote because I was wavering but if I wait much longer I'll miss this round.

Not that I love any of the remainders; my favourites are already gone. But of the four remaining, I'd like to see Insignificance win. I guess that's not going to happen, either ;).

I hear you. Even the voting now is hard to gauge which song will win. I was thinking Insignificance, but then I just revisited Light Years and man, such beautiful lyrics and I love that intro and outro live. So awesome when Ed goes high at the end. I don't think he started doing that until the end of the '00 tour. Really miss the extended intro they did back then. Matt's drumming and the guitar sound so great, but I can basically say that about all of Binaural :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-AwjBxZeD4
    It's a hopeless situation...
This discussion has been closed.