Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited April 2017
    Thin Air
    mcgruff10 said:

rummy said:

mcgruff10 said:

To me parting ways is a perfect Pearl Jam song.

mcgruff10 said:

Seriously there are no stand outs on this album.

HA! I was literally creating this very post when I scrolled down and saw yours.
    I can appreciate where he (mcgruff) is coming from, however, as I too am a bit "moody" when it comes to Binaural. Sometimes I listen to it and think it's a thing of beauty but other times, especially when I compare it to their first five albums, I think it's just pretty good - not great - as it doesn't have any big hits the way all the others did (or could have). Even if you argue No Code didn't have the hits that Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, and even Yield had, it had songs that grew into Pearl Jam juggernauts (Present Tense, In My Tree, etc.)
    rummy, first off happy easter! second, he is mike and not mcgruff lol.
    and now down to business....I wanted to love binaural so bad. Having literally traveled around the country during the yield tour I was expecting something along the lines of the first five albums. But binaural kind of fell flat in the studio and live. There is a reason that mcready even mentions that a heck of a lot of people stop listening to them at that point. I realize everyone defends their own album like they wrote it but one must admit that binaural and riot act very much fell flat amongst the masses.
    Now ten club member might say..who cares what the masses say! However I have a very low fan club number and was row 8 at Fenway night 2. One of my favorite obscure songs was played that night and I was elated! I literally sang every syllable loud as hell but noticed from my 139682 fan club number vantage point that no one knew what the hell this song "angel" was.
    point being, binaural and riot act never translated live. Most of you would say, who cares about the other 90%? However without those 90% there 's no way pearl jam is still playing the same venues they have been playing since 1998. There's a a reason that they don't play album 6/7 because for the exception of a few gems they just aren't that good live. cool, I got it....you rock out to god's dice and evacuation back to back. I would absolutely love to go crazy "against the 70's" just once live but realize 99% of the crowd would be bored and would be interesting in paint drying. and this coming from a guy that has seem live 60 times since 1996.
    Mike
    This is way I was shocked that they played Binaural in full at the ACC in Toronto. I figured they would have saved it for a much more "intimate" setting. Again, I enjoyed it (especially songs like Of The Girl, Rival, and Parting Ways as I figured the likelihood of me ever catching them at this point was slim to none) but a lot of audience members (including my more-casual-of-a-fan concert buddy) seemed to be waiting for something else.

Oh, and Happy Easter to you, too. I forgot it was the big day today as we had our family dinner yesterday.
    - Matt

• Options
    Thin Air

I can't imagine even being able to see 10 shows... Good for you though. Do 60 shows start to blend together after a while?

I just noticed that, too. Sixty shows, Mike. Wow!
    (I'm at only six but that's my fault for not being a big concert-goer until recently).
  • Options
    EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422
    Nothing As It Seems
    Such a boring song in my opinion
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,831
    Nothing As It Seems
    rummy said:

I can't imagine even being able to see 10 shows... Good for you though. Do 60 shows start to blend together after a while?

I just noticed that, too. Sixty shows, Mike. Wow!
    (I'm at only six but that's my fault for not being a big concert-goer until recently).
    Matt...I knew I liked you! lol. my oldest son has the same name as yours.

sixty shows..yeah it's a lot. I've seen ed, stone, jeff, matt and mike more than some of my relatives over the course of 20 years. lol.
    IMO you can tell good shows over tired shows pretty quick. (notice how I didn't say bad shows ;) you know which songs are great live and which songs sap the energy from the crowd.
    Do the shows blend together? sure they do. but insert any event over sixty times and ask yourself if they don't blend together.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Grievance
    Thin Air? C'mon people!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    Light Years
    i pm 1000 of my facebook friends..u wan a war,,,you will get one!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,929
    Thin Air
    Is it just me or would Light Years be even better with a little bit of the sound of NAIS and Of the Girl/Parting ways (or even Puzzle and games)?

I love it. But have always felt it to be a bit "dry".
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Of The Girl
    This round makes sense mostly, except Of the Girl.
    Nothing against it, but it's not nearly as unique as the others here. Lyrically and musically it is pretty safe and reserved, and some of the others here are much more adventurous and exciting.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    Grievance
    rgambs said:

This round makes sense mostly, except Of the Girl.
    Nothing against it, but it's not nearly as unique as the others here. Lyrically and musically it is pretty safe and reserved, and some of the others here are much more adventurous and exciting.

Agreed. Since I can't eliminate it this round. I'm voting to save NAIS by voting Grievance. Stronger studio track. Voting hasn't been this crazy since Ten. I can't believe so many people don't think Of the Girl is weaker than the rest. I've heard a lot of people call NAIS, Light Years and PW boring on here, but Of the Girl isn't exactly jump out of your seat thrilling and the lyrics and music are pretty simple. Good song? Yes. Deserve to be in the top 4 of this album? Hell no!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,923
    Insignificance
    I'm surprised "God's Dice" and "Sleight of Hand" are gone and "Insignificance" keeps going. Glad we aren't putting money down on bets.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Of The Girl

I'm surprised "God's Dice" and "Sleight of Hand" are gone and "Insignificance" keeps going. Glad we aren't putting money down on bets.

Insignificance, for me, is hanging by that slick guitar riff and "The full Moon is dead skin" among other badass lyrics.
    This album is lyrically brilliant, the very best of PJ albums in that regard.

That's why God's Dice and SOH should still be around, and Of the Girl should have been first to go.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Of The Girl

God's Dice +1
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,041
    Light Years
    Once again looks like my favorites might exit early.

NAIS and Grievance. Two of my absolute favorites from PJ.
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited April 2017
    Insignificance

Those two currently deadlocked at 19 apiece for the 3rd toss out.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Insignificance

Come on Grievance! Pull through!
  • Options
    Thin Air

...and they BOTH get booted if it ends in a tie!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Parting Ways
    rummy said:

...and they BOTH get booted if it ends in a tie!
    Aaaahhhhhh!

Where's that voter fraud when you need it?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    Grievance
    And NAIS has taken a 2 vote "lead" to be eliminated this round with a few hours to go.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Thin Air
    For me, this has been the most interesting poll so far ... showing the diversity of musical taste. How anyone can vote for Light Years when Thin Air is still an option is beyond me.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Nothing As It Seems
    Close it up!
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited April 2017
    Insignificance
    tbergs said:

And NAIS has taken a 2 vote "lead" to be eliminated this round with a few hours to go.

Lol

Dimi is going to lose it. He's gonna snap.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Nothing As It Seems

tbergs said:

Lol

• Options
    Nothing As It Seems

tbergs said:

Lol

He voted for light years. Dude s credibility is now shot. He a gonna need intense counseling After ghost is taken out in the first round.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Grievance
    This poll has closed.
    Thin Air, Parting Ways and Nothing As It Seems have been eliminated in Round 3
This discussion has been closed.