If Lightning Bolt was their last album,would you be satisfied?

joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
With everything the band has given us through the years,would you be satisfied with their last album? If not,please explain how many more albums you would like them to make,before they call it a day and spend the rest of their lives just chilling with family and friends. I personally would like to see 2 more albums,with the last being a massive US tour that wraps up in Seattle. The Gorge one last time is a given!

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    If they never made another record I would be OK. If they stopped touring I would be devastated.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyV said:

If they never made another record I would be OK. If they stopped touring I would be devastated.

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    I'd be cool with it... Then all we would have to wait on is those rarities and unreleased songs they have stashed to finally come out. That would feel like a new album to me, I'm pretty sure they have quite a few. Then of course as JimmyV mentioned, touring is a completely different story, we need our PJ live shows....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Yes, we need our Pearl Jam live shows.i always enjoy new music from them, but the concerts are the best.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I don't think I would be satisfied because I feel like they have a lot left to give both live and in the studio. At their current rate of production, I think 3 - 4 more albums for sure. They're sitting on a mountain of back catalog bootlegs and video so I think that will sustain me in lieu of albums whenever that day comes.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    tbergs said:

I don't think I would be satisfied because I feel like they have a lot left to give both live and in the studio. At their current rate of production, I think 3 - 4 more albums for sure. They're sitting on a mountain of back catalog bootlegs and video so I think that will sustain me in lieu of albums whenever that day comes.

+ 1
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • You're asking this group if they're satisfied? Good luck with that.
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    No
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    JimmyV said:

This for sure.

Albums are dying a slow death anyway. They could simply release the odd single from time to time instead.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited April 2017
    Them just turning into a touring act would be devastating. Losing their relevance etc.

But skipping albums and instead making the annual single into an EP would be ok :)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390

Album wise - yes, I would be satisfied. It's been a great run. Do I want more? Of course, but if there was some act of God that forced the band apart, I would be satisfied with their library of work.

Like others, I pretty much share the same sentiments as Jimmy V. The live shows are where it's at & really where it's been for the last 15+ years, and almost certainly the single biggest reason they've stayed relevant in the same time period.

While I don't want to see them become a nostalgia act, I would prefer that over no live shows at all.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'd be... content, I guess is the best word... if their body of work ended where it's at today. I will ALWAYS want more albums. But like JimmyV said, please just don't stop touring!

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I dont see them calling it quits. I could see them being one of those bands like The Who or the Stones, and start putting albums out farther and farther apart. We're already averaging about 4-5 years between albums since Riot Act.
    I couldn't say this before since it was still relatively new, but now that LB is a few years old I think it is my least favorite. I would be disappointed for that reason alone if it was their last. The range of songs seems pretty middle-ground to me. Not that many that I feel I have to skip, but none I feel I have to skip to either if I'm driving and have time for 1 more song.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    I liked Lightning Bolt a lot(I know some didn't), so I would be okay I guess. I do believe that they have at least a few more albums in them. For the next record I'd like to hear some sort of definite shift in sound that would probably piss some people off. I'm probably the only one who feels that way. I'm just excited to hear what comes next.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    New albums, releasing old material, demos, live show bootlegs, etc... I'm fine as long as it never sounds like it's the last we hear of them.
  • GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 230
    I always want to hear new PJ music. Period. I'm not satisfied yet. I want more new music.

And the live experience will never get old. For some, PJ concerts are our church, and part of that celebration is the inclusion of new music.
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    no.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    They seem to be too spread out now. Eddie is all over the place. Jeff lives in Montana. Matt is touring with Soundgarden.

The mix just doesn't seem to gel anymore. I'm guessing that getting together to do an album is a real chore where they try to get shit done ASAP so they can do their own thing.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • I liked Lightning Bolt a lot(I know some didn't), so I would be okay I guess. I do believe that they have at least a few more albums in them. For the next record I'd like to hear some sort of definite shift in sound that would probably piss some people off. I'm probably the only one who feels that way. I'm just excited to hear what comes next.

I'd certainly like them to experiment a bit more with the next album. Besides Pendulum (my favourite track on the album) there was nothing that really stood out for me on LB. Don't get me wrong, I liked the album, but would love them to come back with some completely different. Even if I didn't like it at first (as was the case with No Code - which I love now!)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

I liked Lightning Bolt a lot(I know some didn't), so I would be okay I guess. I do believe that they have at least a few more albums in them. For the next record I'd like to hear some sort of definite shift in sound that would probably piss some people off. I'm probably the only one who feels that way. I'm just excited to hear what comes next.

I'd certainly like them to experiment a bit more with the next album. Besides Pendulum (my favourite track on the album) there was nothing that really stood out for me on LB. Don't get me wrong, I liked the album, but would love them to come back with some completely different. Even if I didn't like it at first (as was the case with No Code - which I love now!)
    I'd welcome the challenge of a modern day Vitalogy-like shift for the next album!
    I still really enjoy Lightning Bolt. There are some great songs that work really well live on it. I can't believe it's been 4 years, though. :o
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I don't think I'd be satisfied to an extent if they quit releasing new albums. The last three albums in particular show slight signs that greatness is still in them in regards to new music. Slight. As albums, the last three have been kind of weak. So it's frustrating as a fan to see the signs of light breakthrough only to give way to a meh album. I think the band has it in them to put out another 12 song album that is amazing beginning to end.
    As a recording artist, I know it's harder than it sounds. When I put out my first album I was in love with every second of every song. A couple of years later now and I think "what if I'd replaced this song with another" or "this is bad". Of the 12 songs on it, 7 or 8 are still strong to me. I was just trying to please myself with this record, not thousands of fans. So I totally feel for the band.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390

I don't think I'd be satisfied to an extent if they quit releasing new albums. The last three albums in particular show slight signs that greatness is still in them in regards to new music. Slight. As albums, the last three have been kind of weak. So it's frustrating as a fan to see the signs of light breakthrough only to give way to a meh album. I think the band has it in them to put out another 12 song album that is amazing beginning to end.
    As a recording artist, I know it's harder than it sounds. When I put out my first album I was in love with every second of every song. A couple of years later now and I think "what if I'd replaced this song with another" or "this is bad". Of the 12 songs on it, 7 or 8 are still strong to me. I was just trying to please myself with this record, not thousands of fans. So I totally feel for the band.

Interesting perspective, which makes me appreciate a band like Faith No More all that much more. They never tried to please anyone other than themselves when in the studio, and it worked out pretty well for them. (I don't mean to derail the thread....... now that I think of it, is there a Faith No More discussion? If not, I might have to start one)
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345

I just think they should stop trying to "force" 12-song albums and just release ones with just eight songs on it - or heck, go for a five- or six-song EP. They don't need to do the big record release anymore. Sure, keep making new music but stop trying to package it into a singular album. They don't need to do this anymore. We'll still go to their shows!
    edited April 2017
    The Pixies done something really cool a few years ago. They released 3 ep's and then the record with all 3 ep's included at the end of that.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I agree with you guys. I really like the way albums were done in the 60's and 70's. basically a band released a single as they were working on the album with a b-side that wouldn't be on the eventual album. Sometimes three or four singles would be released before the album came out. So when the full album came out, people were mostly familiar with the sound of the album and have an idea on the artistic direction.
    These days it seems that one or two singles will be released the record but without a bside or anything. John Mayer just released a 12 track album today and the leadup to release were two four song EP's of songs on the full release. I think that marketing strategy kind of backfired on him a tad. The singles released didn't catch on and were very different in style. Well, to be honest, the songs flat out sucked. So, people are trying different techniques these days in regard to releasing material. Thankfully, the Radiohead aspect of pay what you want didn't catch on. That's cool for big bands, but awful for the little guys trying to feed little mouths. If there's one band with the integrity and artistic ability to rewriting how music is releasd in the future, it's Pearl Jam.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I would think that a Lost Dogs 2 could happen....wish it would
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    There's a lot more songs out there. Who know how much music is actually recorded? Lost Dogs 2 would be pretty sweet. :)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Didn't Ed say something along the lines of "we're only halfway to deserving" the Hall of Fame thing? So if that's another 25 years or so, we could get another 5 or 6 records at their current rate (although they'd be in their 70s by then).

No I wouldn't be satisfied if they finished now as they are still my favourite band, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I survived R.E.M. breaking up after all!
    As long as the guys were all still making solo or 'side project' music it would be ok.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    JimmyV said:

Yep. I wouldn't turn down new music but content with their catalog.