Options

New Rolling Stone article about Abbruzzese

Comments

• Options
    Little ItalyLittle Italy Rochester, NY Posts: 404

RP112579 said:

No discussions about this would be great.

Sorry, Pearl Jam is my favorite band too but it doesn't have to be all roses and unicorns.
    Exactly.

If this happened to any of us-we wouldn't be so quick to let it go.

Its just a shame that differences couldn't be set aside for one night so that everyone could look back and celebrate ALL aspects of the band's history; Dave A was an integral part of that history and deserves to be properly honored for his role-not just given a shot-out.

Furthermore, imagine if Mike had been fired-lets say around the time of his rehab stint, and he had only been with the band for their 3 biggest albums-wouldn't everyone agree that Mike would have deserved to be inducted?

That's all I'm saying.

But it really is beating a dead horse at this point.

Its not right, but will not change-its a recurring theme in life that everyone has to deal with at some point.

"he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
  • Options
    logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 457

RP112579 said:

Sorry, Pearl Jam is my favorite band too but it doesn't have to be all roses and unicorns.
    Exactly.

Its just a shame that differences couldn't be set aside for one night so that everyone could look back and celebrate ALL aspects of the band's history; Dave A was an integral part of that history and deserves to be properly honored for his role-not just given a shot-out.

Furthermore, imagine if Mike had been fired-lets say around the time of his rehab stint, and he had only been with the band for their 3 biggest albums-wouldn't everyone agree that Mike would have deserved to be inducted?

That's all I'm saying.

Its not right, but will not change-its a recurring theme in life that everyone has to deal with at some point.

Well said.
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II | Wrigley I & II
    [82*]
  • Options
    BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    Dave A hasn't played a show with the greatest band in the world in TWENTY THREE years.

They've played hundreds of shows since, added two amazing drummers, released hundreds of bootlegs, made 7 records and played in front of hundreds of thousands of fans all over the globe.

Out of the band's almost 27 year career, he was part of three years.

And MFC destroys him on the kit.

Someone needs to move on. It's been TWENTY THREE YEARS.

And he was fired for a reason.

Dave A. -- and some internet losers -- are the only ones still whining. Grow up.
  • Options

RP112579 said:

Exactly.

That's all I'm saying.

Then why doesn't he turn his ire towards the RRHOF?
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    That's basically an Alternative Nation "article." RS is crap.

Krusen played on Ten and was a founding member. Dave A only sounds more childish attacking him.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301

Dave A hasn't played a show with the greatest band in the world in TWENTY THREE years.

They've played hundreds of shows since, added two amazing drummers, released hundreds of bootlegs, made 7 records and played in front of hundreds of thousands of fans all over the globe.

Dave A. -- and some internet losers -- are the only ones still whining. Grow up.

PJ is in the rock hall because of 1991-1994. He was the drummer from 1991-1994. I think that's all us "losers" are saying
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774

Thank you. Perfectly said. Mediocre drummer and and whining little baby.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,574
    Dude is bitter.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

RP112579 said:

Exactly.

That's all I'm saying.

Maybe, but he's not a drummer lol

:tongue:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    He should have never broken that Les Paul.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    edited April 2017
    So sick of this Dave shit. He rode the wave the band was on and only contributed enough cymbal crashes to drive a sane person insane. Oh. And Angel. Terrible song.
    If Dave had been with the band later in their careee, so long No Code. So long Yield and Binaural. Dave could not pull off those albums like Jack and Matt. It's all crash, crash, crash.

To be brutally honest, if there were a Pearl Jam Drummers Hall of Fame, Dave wouldn't belong there either.

Edit: used the wrong "there" at the end.
    Post edited by ledvedderman on
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited April 2017

So sick of this Dave shit. He rode the wave the band was on and only contributed enough cymbal crashes to drive a sane person insane. Oh. And Angel. Terrible song.
    If Dave had been with the band later in their careee, so long No Code. So long Yield and Binaural. Dave could not pull off those albums like Jack and Matt. It's all crash, crash, crash.

To be brutally honest, if there were a Pearl Jam Drummers Hall of Fame, Dave wouldn't belong their either.

Bravo
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301

To be brutally honest, if there were a Pearl Jam Drummers Hall of Fame, Dave wouldn't belong there either.

Hot take. Bad take
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455

This.

I hate cymbals because of him
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    I can't tell the difference anymore between the nausea drama that Dave has caused on the forum and the praise from PJ to him.
    Which is it?
    This guy seems like a troll.
  • Options

I can't tell the difference anymore between the nausea drama that Dave has caused on the forum and the praise from PJ to him.
    Which is it?
    This guy seems like a troll.

Those last two lines have been asked of you on the Train for a long freaking time, man.
  • Options
    ^^^
    Call be Dave I guess?
  • Options

^^^
    Call be Dave I guess?

Dude, even though we disagree on everything, I like you way too much to sink you to Dave level.
  • Options

^^^
    Call be Dave I guess?

Dude, even though we disagree on everything, I like you way too much to sink you to Dave level.
    nice
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455

^^^
    Call be Dave I guess?

LOL
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175

He should have never broken that Les Paul.

:lol:
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    NewJPage said:

PJ is in the rock hall because of 1991-1994. He was the drummer from 1991-1994. I think that's all us "losers" are saying
    Incorrect. That is where they made their name, were most famous and at their best for sure. Don't think there's any band in the HOF with a 3 year career. At least none that were cut short by som kind of trajedy. They made it because of that era and because they sustained and remained a major act for over 2 decades.
  • Options

NewJPage said:

Incorrect. That is where they made their name, were most famous and at their best for sure. Don't think there's any band in the HOF with a 3 year career. At least none that were cut short by som kind of trajedy. They made it because of that era and because they sustained and remained a major act for over 2 decades.
    I think a lot of fans are forgetting one thing....the band are the ones who hit the brakes on their success. Not doing videos, releasing Who You Are as a single, releasing an album like No Code, Ticketmaster, etc. Sure they're success was going to plateau eventually, but the band are the ones who cut it short. They easily could have crapped out two Vitalogy type follow ups (with any drummer) and been U2 big, but they didn't. Soooo maybe we can stop the talk of Dave being some sort of virtuoso who crafted the sound.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493

NewJPage said:

I think a lot of fans are forgetting one thing....the band are the ones who hit the brakes on their success. Not doing videos, releasing Who You Are as a single, releasing an album like No Code, Ticketmaster, etc. Sure they're success was going to plateau eventually, but the band are the ones who cut it short. They easily could have crapped out two Vitalogy type follow ups (with any drummer) and been U2 big, but they didn't. Soooo maybe we can stop the talk of Dave being some sort of virtuoso who crafted the sound.
    Yes
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

My bad-didn't see this post and just posted this article as a new thread

http://www.alternativenation.net/dave-abbruzzese-pearl-jam-hall-of-fame-speech-slap-in-face/

"For the band to put me in the same light as Matt Chamberlain & Dave K really was a slap in the face".

Whatever last iota of respect I had for the guy was lost right there.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Dave was a tight-pocket drummer with a slight funk feel. He worked great for 92-94. He also basically played the same drum beat for every song -- in many ways copying the Why Go beat Krusen wrote -- was WAY too cymbal heavy and fit the band less and less as it drastically and suddenly changed before worldwide eyes. EV and Dave by 04: oil and water. Imagining them making it work in 96 or 98 is just impossible.

No Code, Yield, Binaural, the best of 03-current don't happen if Dave is still in the band. Could you imagine him playing a splashy Who You Are or a funky You Are? Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I love everything about PJ in 93-94. One of their greatest eras and one of the most powerful in rock history. But it was TWO years of their career and Dave didn't write anything on Ten.

The band was good to him in recent months. He pissed all over that and lost any remaining sympathy -- evident by the posts in this thread.

He's the only one still clinging to something that happened 23 years ago. A few uninformed fans are the only ones trying to still right a "wrong" that had to happen for the band to evolve and survive. Real fans understand that.

No one's gonna care about this stuff in six months. PJ hasn't since 1995.
  • Options

Dave was a tight-pocket drummer with a slight funk feel. He worked great for 92-94. He also basically played the same drum beat for every song -- in many ways copying the Why Go beat Krusen wrote -- was WAY too cymbal heavy and fit the band less and less as it drastically and suddenly changed before worldwide eyes. EV and Dave by 04: oil and water. Imagining them making it work in 96 or 98 is just impossible.

No Code, Yield, Binaural, the best of 03-current don't happen if Dave is still in the band. Could you imagine him playing a splashy Who You Are or a funky You Are? Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I love everything about PJ in 93-94. One of their greatest eras and one of the most powerful in rock history. But it was TWO years of their career and Dave didn't write anything on Ten.

The band was good to him in recent months. He pissed all over that and lost any remaining sympathy -- evident by the posts in this thread.

He's the only one still clinging to something that happened 23 years ago. A few uninformed fans are the only ones trying to still right a "wrong" that had to happen for the band to evolve and survive. Real fans understand that.

One of the best posts I've ever seen on The Porch. Ever. Seriously. Well said, man.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,011
    edited April 2017
    JimmyV said:

Matt Chamberlain politely declined the invitation. Jack Irons graciously accepted the invitation. Dave...behaved like this.

I'm not defending Dave A or really care (more than that it would have be cool to hear his drumming again) but this is just skewing things to paint him in a bad light.

What he is saying - his point of view - is that there was no direct/personal invitation. Just the letter – As in, an empty gesture.

And even though I understand why the band would not want him there, I also understand what he means by that. If they really wanted him there and meant something with the letter - they could and should have called him or reached out to him.

Just put yourself in the situation, is it really an invitation if its up to him to reach out for a party with people he haven't met in 20 years and that he's not included in to begin with?

And Jeffs t-shirt points to the letter meaning nothing (or just hypocrisy), with him not having Dave A on the shirt but Chad Channing.

I think writing that kind of a letter, but not even trying to reach out directly makes it hollow and a bit slimey.

But, I don't care. I just think all the shitting on Dave (without taking in his point of view or what he's actually saying) is ignorant and unnecessary.

But ofc I understand why the band would not want him there. But then don't act all noble with that letter. If there's no truth behind the words.

EDIT:

And this was a youtube comment from him that blew up. He just wanted to put "it straight" from his POV on a comment under a youtube video (why he was lurking youtube looking for videos of the evening is a bit sad... or maybe cute(?) and I don't really think what's so bad about his comment, other than the wording of it. Not like he's shitting on the band(?)... for once.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I think ed did that himself when going into his global warming speech lol.

No...you're one of those people...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

It's the RnR HoF and everyone was/is talking about it and commenting on it. I think saying, him commenting on it, answering questions, wanting to get his POV across about the invitation/induction-.issue is "He's the only one still clinging to something that happened 23 years ago" – is just hyperbole and PJ-sheepishly shitty.

I'm not saying Dave A isn't embarrassing or still holds grudge or whatever. But how many times during these 23 years has he talked about this? Compared to now when it turned into something because of the RnR HoF?

You're skewing and stretching and building up a false narrative- for what goal? Doing PR for Pearl Jam?

This discussion has been closed.