Options

A Pearl Jam residency in Seattle?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    my2hands said:

There is zero chance they play monthly

Agreed. But I also think there's zero chance that this Key Arena / OVG / PJ thing happens anyway. PJ hitched their wagon to the wrong horse in this arena battle.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Im still hoping this is a segway into "lounge act Pearl Jam". Jeff on standup bass all show long. Eddie telling us to try the veal. I'd go to the 6pm show AND the 8pm show.

Will there be "earlybird" specials at the 6pm show??
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    I don't know. When I was in Seattle, the feeling that I got was that the locals there think they are too cool for Pearl Jam. I sensed that they think Pearl Jam are sellouts and not underground and indie enough for their support. I could be wrong but that was the vibe I got from the place.

I say if it aint broke don't fix it. They are freaking peaking if you ask me. I think this peak could last for some time. I believe their best work is yet to come album wise and I think it is going to be very Pink Floyd inspired. Last year's tour was mind blowing and they really have never been better. Keep hitting the mid size cities with big events like Fenway thrown in. Continue to do what they have already done which is evolve. Playing a resident gig doesn't seem like part of this evolution to me but if they do it I trust they know how to do it right.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    mrk2 said:

2001 they played the Groundwork benefit with REM and others. I literally could not give away two tickets outside the venue. No takers. Managed to get press/photo passes, but had already bought tickets.

I remember that show well! I was 20, and had bought a pair. Lived in Vancouver and for the life of me, couldn't get a second person to go to the show! Ended up driving to Seattle by myself, and was treated to a mellow, very different setlist. Was the only PJ show I've ever been to solo, but made the best of it, with nice neighbours around me.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    mwplum said:

mrk2 said:

2001 they played the Groundwork benefit with REM and others. I literally could not give away two tickets outside the venue. No takers. Managed to get press/photo passes, but had already bought tickets.

I remember that show well! I was 20, and had bought a pair. Lived in Vancouver and for the life of me, couldn't get a second person to go to the show! Ended up driving to Seattle by myself, and was treated to a mellow, very different setlist. Was the only PJ show I've ever been to solo, but made the best of it, with nice neighbours around me.
    It was a wierd show. I thought they'd play longer, and that they'd headline. The only ended up playing for about 50 minutes. The crowed as right into it too, so when it ended after 50 minutes you smell the dissapointment. 1/3rd of the place clearing out before REM got on stage, and another 1/3rd clearing out by the time REM finished. I never thought I'd see that many people bail on REM.

We also ended up with an extra ticket. I had tickets located with a few friends of mine. Then I won the 10c lottery for a single ticket which was closer to the stage. They only gave out single tickets so it was a bit awkward. Given the # of empty seats after PJ finished I got my friends to come over to where I was.

I guess people didn't want tickets because it wasn't an actual PJ show. It was more like a festival with a bunch of bands. I'm glad I went, but I often wondered if it was worth the money to travel for a 50 minute set. It's by far the shortest PJ gig I've travelled to, and when they don't similar short gigs in Seattle, I haven't traveled for them since. It's a tease :)
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    One step closer to a Pearl Jam residency: 

Oak View Group selected for Seattle's KeyArena renovation

I'm still no fan of this proposal, and hate the politics behind it. There has been an existing proposal for a fully privately funded arena in SODO, but the kooky City Council, the Mayor, and for some reason the Port of Seattle are married to the idea of polishing a turd using some public funds. We won't know for sure if this is a go until December of this year, and if it gets the green light it will be another 3 - 4 years before it is complete, but they passed the first hurdle. So when the PJ guys are hitting their 60's and getting their knee and hip replacements they'll be ready to take up residency in Seattle for some shows.  
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    jeffbr said:
    One step closer to a Pearl Jam residency: 

Oak View Group selected for Seattle's KeyArena renovation

I'm still no fan of this proposal, and hate the politics behind it. There has been an existing proposal for a fully privately funded arena in SODO, but the kooky City Council, the Mayor, and for some reason the Port of Seattle are married to the idea of polishing a turd using some public funds. We won't know for sure if this is a go until December of this year, and if it gets the green light it will be another 3 - 4 years before it is complete, but they passed the first hurdle. So when the PJ guys are hitting their 60's and getting their knee and hip replacements they'll be ready to take up residency in Seattle for some shows.  
    Pearl Jam: The Early Bird Special residency to begin in 2023.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Zod said:
    It was a wierd show. I thought they'd play longer, and that they'd headline. The only ended up playing for about 50 minutes. The crowed as right into it too, so when it ended after 50 minutes you smell the dissapointment. 1/3rd of the place clearing out before REM got on stage, and another 1/3rd clearing out by the time REM finished. I never thought I'd see that many people bail on REM. We also ended up with an extra ticket. I had tickets located with a few friends of mine. Then I won the 10c lottery for a single ticket which was closer to the stage. They only gave out single tickets so it was a bit awkward. Given the # of empty seats after PJ finished I got my friends to come over to where I was. I guess people didn't want tickets because it wasn't an actual PJ show. It was more like a festival with a bunch of bands. I'm glad I went, but I often wondered if it was worth the money to travel for a 50 minute set. It's by far the shortest PJ gig I've travelled to, and when they don't similar short gigs in Seattle, I haven't traveled for them since. It's a tease :)
    I have those feelings too. I went in thinking they would headline, so was somewhat disappointed about that as I'm not a huge REM fan. 

I also locked my keys in my car getting gas in Blaine on the way there. Spent over an hour waiting for BCAA/AAA. Was a pretty frustrating day on the whole. But when I look back at it now, it was a pretty great mini set, and I'm glad I went.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2