Options

Neal Schon (Journey) talks PJ....

cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
edited April 2017 in The Porch
From rollingstone.....

**How did the all-star jam on "Rockin' in the Free World" come together?

It was really funny. That was my first time meeting those guys, definitely my first time meeting Eddie [Vedder]. They couldn't have been nicer, all of them. All very, very cool, super-great guys. I had to go two days in a row for soundcheck before the event. The first day was for Journey and the second day was for the jam. We head over there from downtown New York. I get there just in time for soundcheck and there's a zillion people on the stage, as you saw, all the Rush guys and everybody else, Trevor [Rabin]. I was putting some settings on a new amp company I'm working with called Revv, we're working on a Schon model. The amp sounded very good and I was cranking it up because they play really loud.

We went through Neil Young's song "Rockin' in the Free World" one time, and that was it. Eddie comes over to me and goes, "You play the first solo and we'll hand it off to the other side of the stage and then Alex [Lifeson] can play and Trevor and everyone else." It was like that fast. I'd never played the song before, but obviously I'd heard it on the radio. Once I found it was in E minor I was like, "Oh, this is pretty easy." I managed to play some cool parts that night playing it for the second time.

**It was a lot of fun to watch. Nowhere else would you see you guys playing with Pearl Jam, Yes and Rush.

Yeah. I loved that. I hope in the future … I'm very adaptable as a guitar player; I'm kind of like a chameleon, so I'd love to be involved with any other jams from here out. There's so many artists that I appreciate and enjoy and would love to play with, but never had an opportunity to. I'm hopeful this will open up some opportunities.

**Tell me some other highlights of the night for you.

Honestly, I thought everyone was so good. I thought that Yes was very good. They had a great performance. They sounded very tight, Steve Howe, Trevor. Everything sounded great. Alicia Keys kicked my ass. If I had a choice of playing with one other person besides Pearl Jam it would have been her since I have huge blues and R&B roots that some people know, but not a lot. I could have definitely ripped that stuff up in a different way.

**Did you watch most of the show from your table?

I did. I watched everything until we played, but then we went back to do interviews. I was bummed I didn't get to see Lenny [Kravitz] since I was busy in the back doing interviews. I missed pretty much the rest of the show, but I managed to go out onstage about 10 minutes before I went on. I saw Pearl Jam from the back. I could hear it. They sounded amazing, by the way. I love the feel of the band and I've always liked them from when they first came out. I remember I was in the studio and this A&R guy came in with their first record. I was like, "Wow, this sounds really fresh." I liked the drumming on the record and the writing. Their drummer is very strong and I enjoyed playing with him too.

Rollingstone.com

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    Very cool. Thanks for posting that.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Cool...good find...thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Good read,thanks
    If anything has the strength to bind people together as one,it's music.