Options

Sunglasses

2»

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    rgambs said:

Your eye doctor can have tinted lenses put in practically any frame, if you have old glasses or sunglasses that are scuffed up you could go that route and get a high optical quality and a frame that doesn't look like you are trying to cosplay Data from Star Trek.

Most retail sunglass frames are cheap and they look ridiculous, Oakley's being near the top of the list.
    Why do they always have to try to make you look like you are trying to be a cool guy??

Anyways, that's always an option and some vision plans will even cover it.

nope, I brought in some glasses from the 50s to put real prescription lenses in. They told me "no"

I bought sunglasses from Costco, polarized, UVA/UVB protection. They were $60.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RKCNDY said:

rgambs said:

Your eye doctor can have tinted lenses put in practically any frame, if you have old glasses or sunglasses that are scuffed up you could go that route and get a high optical quality and a frame that doesn't look like you are trying to cosplay Data from Star Trek.

Most retail sunglass frames are cheap and they look ridiculous, Oakley's being near the top of the list.
    Why do they always have to try to make you look like you are trying to be a cool guy??

nope, I brought in some glasses from the 50s to put real prescription lenses in. They told me "no"

I bought sunglasses from Costco, polarized, UVA/UVB protection. They were $60.
    You need a new eye doctor lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    JK_Livin said:

Foakley's are my favorite.

I have some foakleys from NYC....good looking but not good for looking :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Zenni's...I love them!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited April 2017
    Cheap sunglasses are not the same for my eyes.
    I get where gambs is going though as i imagine the Doctor would hook you with good shit to protect your eyes.
    I'm a fan of polarized for the reasons Dyer mentioned.
    I also keep a pair for +/- 5 years and part of that is because of what I paid. I'm overprotective of them. At $259 they cost me less than 15 cents a day over the 5 year period.

What sunglasses are for non robots or non-cool guys? Curious as to what those look like. I think the modern douche pair is the standard looking ones like cop glasses that fuckers wear on planes and indoors. The wraps and Vadars are the 90s cool guys and we're just old.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited April 2017
    Wrong button.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Wobbie said:

JK_Livin said:

Foakley's are my favorite.

I have some foakleys from NYC....good looking but not good for looking :wink:
    We used to call them "brokelys", lol
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479

I'd argue that life is too short to spend $300+ on the same plastic that a $10 pair is made of.

same plastic yes, but that is about it.
    HUGE difference
    My sunglasses get more use than any other accessory or piece of clothing. Cant beat the polarized lenses and spring loaded feature of the Maui Jim's. Styles are great as well. Well worth the cost.
    The world is a nicer place when viewed through a pair of high quality shades!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited April 2017
    Get_Right said:

I'd argue that life is too short to spend $300+ on the same plastic that a $10 pair is made of.

HUGE difference
    My sunglasses get more use than any other accessory or piece of clothing. Cant beat the polarized lenses and spring loaded feature of the Maui Jim's. Styles are great as well. Well worth the cost.
    My Columbia's have polarized lenses and were $35. I've had spring loaded frames from Fossil, too, with polarized lenses for less than $50. To each their own, but no one will ever convince me that 3-figures is a reasonable price for sunglasses. (This coming from someone who paid 3 figures for a bunch of Pearl Jam vinyl records :lol:)
  • Options
    I never compromise my feet- I wear good shoes- or my eyes- I wear good sunglasses.

If outside and it's remotely bright... I'm wearing shades (I work outside for the most part and I play outside a ton). People would be surprised at the damage to their unprotected eyes that slowly develops as they age when they don't protect.

There are cheap sunglasses that do the trick, but there are also $2 t-shirts and $5 hoodies. I buy a quality pair of shades every two years or so and treat them very delicately. I've never lost a pair.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Oakley sunglasses. For when you want people to think you're an Autobot.
    Hahaha hadn't heard that. It's not just Oakley, they all want to look like Back to the Future.
    While 90% of Oakleys do go for the back to the future look not all. I wear these ones that are just standard sunglasses.

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    ^Those are nice looking! I've always liked that style, simple and purposeful.
  • Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Get_Right said:

HUGE difference
    Totally agree!!!
    Got my 1st pair of Mauis at Xmas and can't believe how good they are....
    Expensive yes, but absolute quality - plus I was lucky enough to score my pair for free =)=)
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJSiren said:

Zenni's...I love them!

Me, too! All of my prescription glasses come from there. Sunglasses, regular glasses, computer (mid-range) glasses. So many frame options, tint options, polarization, etc... to choose from, and super inexpensive.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    jeffbr said:

PJSiren said:

Zenni's...I love them!

Me, too! All of my prescription glasses come from there. Sunglasses, regular glasses, computer (mid-range) glasses. So many frame options, tint options, polarization, etc... to choose from, and super inexpensive.
    Boooo!!!!
    That's not good for the eye health of America.
    Optometrists are important front line healthcare providers, small business owners, and community supporters.
    Zenni frames are made in China, mostly by the Luxotica monopoly, and that monopoly is trying to squeeze private practices out of business.
    Sure, you save money, but it costs society much more than you save.
    It's equivalent, or worse, to shopping Walmart.

Ok, rant over.
    Carry on lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:

jeffbr said:

PJSiren said:

Zenni's...I love them!

Boooo!!!!
    That's not good for the eye health of America.
    Optometrists are important front line healthcare providers, small business owners, and community supporters.
    Zenni frames are made in China, mostly by the Luxotica monopoly, and that monopoly is trying to squeeze private practices out of business.
    Sure, you save money, but it costs society much more than you save.
    It's equivalent, or worse, to shopping Walmart.

Ok, rant over.
    Carry on lol
    I know, I know! I generally have 1 pair that comes from the optometrist. But the reality is that even after insurance reimbursement, I'm usually looking at a couple of hundred out of pocket for 1 pair of glasses. For that price I go to Zenni and get 10 pair and never even work with the insurance provider. If the glasses market wasn't such a racket with massive markups, I'd be much more inclined to support it. But there's a massive imbalance in pricing, largely due to the interjection of insurance companies, I'm sure, which has infected not just the regular healthcare marketplaces, but vision care as well. I just can't financially justify it.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    ray bans
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Ladies, the rayban sunglasses look way better on you than the oversized plastic (paris hilton) sunglasses.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,681
    Better than sunglasses!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    just got two more pairs of foakleys.....direct from china.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Ray Ban's. 
    Wayfarer Original and RB4181.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I wear Calvin Kleins. Black, with a subtle black and white snake skin thing going on somewhat wide arms. Complimentary people comment about how I remind them of Audrey Hepburn when I wear them, so I'm sticking with them for the long haul, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wear Calvin Kleins. Black, with a subtle black and white snake skin thing going on somewhat wide arms. Complimentary people comment about how I remind them of Audrey Hepburn when I wear them, so I'm sticking with them for the long haul, lol.
    Pics?

I need new glasses.  I'm getting tired of the ones I wear, Oakley Juliet's.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,749

I like my sunglasses comfortable and I like them polarized with the "yellowish" tint. Holy smokes have the's lived up to expectations!

The Maui Jim's are worn for driving and casual use. They are much smaller than the aviators, but when I got them 5 or 6 years ago, I felt I was too old for the aviators.

The Oakley's wrap around very nicely. They fit snugly and don't allow a bunch of unprotected sunlight/wind to come through the top and bottom. These are worn primarily for playing sports. Running to catch a flyball in the outfield without my eyes having to adjust from bare sun to blocked sun has been made much easier with these. I also wear them when driving the Jeep with the doors and top off. The lenses however have been scratched very badly after years of use and abuse.

Paid probably around $300 for both about 5 or 6 years ago. Money well spent in my eyes. See what I did there? And there?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I've always bought polarised. Worth the extra money.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Ray Ban...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Rayban Wayfarer. No substitute... excepit when you lose them in the ocean in Tulum and have to use your back ups... < as in my profile pic..
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Wrong button.
    That's what she said.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Wrong button.
    That's what she said.
    "It was an accident, I swear!"