Cryptocurrencies

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Bitcoin $15k.
    It was $19k last week
    It was $12k the week before that.

Satoshi created bitcoin to test the faithful.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    my2hands said:
    And it was $2 a few years ago... if you got in then, good for you, and dump that shit lol
    I am very well diversified.
    my2hands said:
    How many ICO's have there been and will there be? How many coins are out there now? How many average Joe's are investing in something they don't understand? This sure seems like a bubble to me, but im no expert so don't listen to me

Blockchain technology on the other hand could be a different story as it gets utilized beyond crypto currencies... but again, I don't know shit lol

When I see a small iced tea company switch to a blockchain company with no background or hardware, and its stock blows up because of that switch, I think it's safe to say we are in major bubble territory

As a matter of fact, I think a crypto crash will likely cause a major problem in the US/world economy in the not so distant future. Or maybe not

It is really a fraction of what the tech or housing bubbles were.

And the tulips comparison makes no sense.  Tulips are infinite, many cryptos are not.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I am going to pick up some more Ripple - rumor has it that it will be added to coinbase next month. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Satoshi is a god now? Don't bite the apple! lol
    He is probably dead.  I think he was Hal Finney.
    I am going to pick up some more Ripple - rumor has it that it will be added to coinbase next month. 
    I am not a fan but a friend of mine has almost 100k.
    edited December 2017
    How much crypto do you have?

The fees are high right now but they are working on Lightning which should reduce them.  
    I lied about adding some more ripple.  It was more ripple and verge. ;) 
  • my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    I just don't see how the value won't collapse, statistically almost nobody is using it as currency, it is only being used as an investment backed by nothing. 
    It's the ultimate fiat currency, which is why I'm confused it's been so largely embraced by the alt-right and libertarians.

Microsoft, Intel and JP morgan are a few of the big business backers too.

I wonder if this will be like the Lotus bubble?  Everybody should research the Lotus Bubble.
    Do you mean Tulip bubble?
    I'm such an idiot...  I had Chuck Sperry's Lotus eater on my mind...

Yes it's Tulip bubble...
  • unsung said:

The fees are high right now but they are working on Lightning which should reduce them.  
    Is there a company that puts holdings in all of them?

Basically I'd like to put money in one place and let them take care of it.

Anything out there?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    unsung said:

Anything out there?
    There are a few ETFs with cryptocurrencies as part of their portfolio and some investment banks and hedgefunds have started to discuss trading crypto futures. 
  • unsung said:

Anything out there?
    There are a few ETFs with cryptocurrencies as part of their portfolio and some investment banks and hedgefunds have started to discuss trading crypto futures. 
    I don't want the futures as of yet.  I'd like to be able to have holdings of the multiple Crypto accounts.

Any info you have via PM or here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    unsung said:

Anything out there?
    It is generally considered unwise to do this because you don't control your private keys.
  • unsung said:
    unsung said:

Anything out there?
    It is generally considered unwise to do this because you don't control your private keys.
    PMing you.
    Buy some bitcoin on coinbase or some other platform, move it to Bittrex or some other trading platform.  Buy other alt currency and viola!!! You have other coins. I am considering getting some kind of cold storage device to take them off the exchange for long term holding.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,924
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Anything out there?
    Do you say this from fear of government intervention, or just the fact that one can't vouch for the security of these 'holding' companies? 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Email just received fro Southern Poverty Law Center:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/12/27/place-traditional-fundraising-sources-bitcoin-fills-gap-hate-groups

In place of traditional fundraising sources, bitcoin fills a gap for hate groups

December 27, 2017
    Brett Barrouquere
    Amazon Smile, PayPal and credit card processors said no to the “alt-right” and other racist and white nationalists using their networks.

So, they turned to bitcoin, an online-only cryptocurrency not backed or used by any government.

The internet currency is a relatively recent invention.

Released publicly as open-source software in 2009 by an anonymous group, bitcoin doesn’t have a central bank or main agency policing it. Instead, a network of users conducts peer-to-peer transactions directly with the exchanges being verified by computer and logged publicly in what’s called a blockchain.

While the blockchain allows transactions to be tracked, it doesn’t give away the identities of either side of the transaction.

The University of Cambridge estimates that, in 2017, between 2.9 and 5.8 million unique users made use of cryptocurrency, with many using bitcoin.

And, bitcoins can be used to purchase all manner of goods and services and it can be used to make donations.

That’s primarily how the alt-right is using the cryptocurrency.

Websites such as WeSearchr, which raises money for a “bounty” for information, and Hatreon, where donations can be made to alt-right figures such as Andrew Anglin, primarily use bitcoin for fundraising.

Bitcoin purchases can be traced by a determined researcher. And, the Southern Poverty Law Center will be releasing a list of 200 accounts tied to white nationalists and racists in the coming week.

Forbes Magazine put bitcoin’s secrecy to the test by purchasing small amounts of marijuana online, then asking a researcher to see if she could figure out where the transactions originated.

She found the buys and traced it back to Forbes.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

What?
    What?
    What it says.  I've never know SPLC to waver from the truth.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

More on that:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bitcoin-latest-updates-cryptocurrency-boom-banned-extremist-groups-unite-the-right-charlottesvile-a8130171.html

Bitcoin latest: How the cryptocurrency boom has played into hands of extremist groups

Far-right leaders were early adopters of online currency as it allows them to operate beyond government control

After the bloody Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August, technology companies tightened rules against hate speech and banned many extremists from using web hosting services, social media platforms and online payment systems.

But some on the farthest edges of the political spectrum soon found an effective tool for thwarting this industry crackdown: bitcoin.

Even before Charlottesville, Richard Spencer, a prominent member of the alt-right, a group that espouses racist, anti-Semitic and sexist views and seeks a whites-only state, had gone as far as declaring bitcoin "the currency of the alt right." But far-right political leaders and experts on extremist movements alike say the adoption of bitcoin gained new urgency after Charlottesville as extremists looked for ways to operate beyond the reach of government control and the shifting policies of US tech companies.

More at link

That's all pretty stupid.  
    Anyone that thinks bitcoin is secret doesn't know crypto.  Bitcoin is not secret.  Pay your govt extortion and be done with it.  

The whole tied to the alt right is just ridiculous.  Guess what else they use, CASH and CREDIT.  They probably use telephones too.
    benjs said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Anything out there?
    Do you say this from fear of government intervention, or just the fact that one can't vouch for the security of these 'holding' companies? 
    Is this a serious question or are you trying to bait me?

Because in this thread I am trying to not play your politics.
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

Anything out there?
    PMing you.
    I will respond.
    I thought crypto was for degenerate speculators like me. Oh well. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    You guys don't seem to be interested in actually talking about cryptocurrencies beyond dishing about your holdings.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Have you asked anything or do you just want to inject your opinions?