Options

Why the hell did WWS disappear?

I consider it one of their biggest singles.

It was the first single off of their "comeback" album and they promoted it a lot. It's a recognisable song.

Should be played more often. Hasn't been played since 2014, and on that tour it was played once. if Im correct.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353

It was the first single off of their "comeback" album and they promoted it a lot. It's a recognisable song.

Should be played more often. Hasn't been played since 2014, and on that tour it was played once. if Im correct.

Not angry enough with Obama?
    Not to get too political (although it is a political song) but I'm sure they'll consider bringing it out over the next four years.

(And yes, it was indeed very popular back in 2006 - lots of radio play).
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    god knows excellent track
    danny d
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited April 2017
    It isn't a good song. At least not for the masses. Plagued with a terrible chorus like Pilate and MFC.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Maybe it's TOO relevant. Maybe it sounds too much like the apocalypse that is brewing. I've often thought of it as one of the pertinent songs for our time.

So I have to ask because I really have no clue- has Pearl Jam pretty much retired from political activism via music? I sense the answer is "yes."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    I always think about this and was pleasantly surprised it was chosen as one of the few songs played during their rock halls introduction video last night.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I think Trump being in the office may free them up to be more vocal again. He is a common enemy for 98% of their fan base. Can sing to the choir with no repercussions.

Probably good for 2-3 political songs and then 8-9 songs about love of spouse, records or surfing.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    brianlux said:

Maybe it's TOO relevant. Maybe it sounds too much like the apocalypse that is brewing. I've often thought of it as one of the pertinent songs for our time.

So I have to ask because I really have no clue- has Pearl Jam pretty much retired from political activism via music? I sense the answer is "yes."

The answer is no. they played I am a Patriot and Masters of War last summer angrier than ever.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

It isn't a good song. At least not for the masses. Plagued with a terrible chorus like Pilate and MFC.

I would say you are wrong here. It has a very good chorus for the masses and for audiences to join in on.

But yes, the choruses to Pilate and that "Ask I am an ear"-carsong is not good.
  • Options

Oh, no! The lack of love for MFC has now bled out of the "weakest link" threads!!!!
  • Options
    Is WWS difficult to sing? That chorus sounds like it might strain the vocal chords a bit.
    Of course, they still perform Blood so that kind of kills my theory, doesn't it?
  • Options
    I don't think it is difficult to sing, it just isn't as good as 90% of their catalog.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    brianlux said:

Mind Your Manners
    Got Some
    Getaway
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    on2legs said:

brianlux said:

Mind Your Manners
    Got Some
    Getaway
    Not to mention Ed's direct shot at Trump during RITFW last night. They've just become smarter about how they communicate their political and world views. No more mistakes like a blatant song title that is polarizing. I loved it but many didn't/don't.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878

yeah that song/album got me back into them. Have seen it a couple times though, but would be cool if they played it more.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Just checked my itunes library and Adelaide 1/31/2014 was the last time WWS was played. Great tune! It also showed up twice in 2013- Philly 2 10/22 and Dallas 11/15. Sounds great on all the shows mentioned.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited April 2017
    rummy said:

Is WWS difficult to sing? That chorus sounds like it might strain the vocal chords a bit.
    Of course, they still perform Blood so that kind of kills my theory, doesn't it?

I think that as well. They may have harder sounding songs, but WWS chorus doesn't leave much chance to get a breath.

Songs like Getaway and Got Some I think are tough too. A lot of singing and not much breathing.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options

brianlux said:

The answer is no. they played I am a Patriot and Masters of War last summer angrier than ever.
    Good to hear! I don't expect cultural icons to necessarily be activist but when they are, as Pearl Jam has often been, they can make a big difference. Glad to know they're still doing it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    First off: Mfc? Why? I can usually see a perspective on not like a lot of songs but I'd love to see it return in regular rotation along with WWS. I'll say it's easier to love than WWS.

As for political, they play it - they just don't talk about it. I listen to a lot of those 03 boots and I'm transported to the 70's with protest shows. But with punk(ash) versions of War & Patriot, the W.M.A. tag in daughter...the same could be said why isn't Glorified G played way more often. You would think that song would get love on a nightly basis.

But seriously. Be nice to Mfc. It has feelings.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

You guys remember Ole?
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Smellyman said:

rummy said:

I think that as well. They may have harder sounding songs, but WWS chorus doesn't leave much chance to get a breath.

Songs like Getaway and Got Some I think are tough too. A lot of singing and not much breathing.
    I never thought of got some being difficult to sing...good call.

wws is a great live song that should definitely be played more. I often wonder why pearl jam drops songs for years than all of a sudden plays that song for an entire tour before again being lost. Who you are '08 would be an example of this.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

You guys remember Ole?

¿Me esta tomando el pelo? :lol:

• Options
    Given to Fly is tough for Ed but they play it every night. WWS is in the category of PJ songs including Green Disease, Cropduster, Ghost, God's Dice, etc.... that are good but not good enough to be played every night.
  • Options

Given to Fly is tough for Ed but they play it every night. WWS is in the category of PJ songs including Green Disease, Cropduster, Ghost, God's Dice, etc.... that are good but not good enough to be played every night.

I think the fact it was a single - and is recognisable - sets it apart from your examples.

And it's good enough to be played more ofter than once in 3 years.

The Fixer on the other hand...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    See i love The Fixer but im not a fan of WWS.
  • Options

See i love The Fixer but im not a fan of WWS.

The FIxer is great live. Gets the crowd going.
  • Options

I think the fact it was a single - and is recognisable - sets it apart from your examples.

And it's good enough to be played more ofter than once in 3 years.

The Fixer on the other hand...
    It may have been a single but so was Who You Are (although Who You Are is badass). ON Self-titled though there are so many better songs that would be played first and would have been better singles: Life Wasted, Comatose, Severed Hand, Marker in The Sand, Inside Job, etc... When a song is at best the 8th best song on one of the least favorite albums by the masses than it isn't going to get played very much. WWS was a single because it was political and had a catchy song title.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,248

brianlux said:

1) ^^^^^ There's this, with which I fully agree, and;

2) The way things are going, I would not be surprised to see WWS in heavy rotation on their next tour. (Come on, guys! We've saved up our vacation days!)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Love me some WWS. Was on a kick a few years ago when every time I was going to fire an employee that day I would rock it LOUD on the way to work.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242

Love me some WWS. Was on a kick a few years ago when every time I was going to fire an employee that day I would rock it LOUD on the way to work.

Well, that's inspiring. Why not Unemployable as a follow-up on the way home?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348

Please let me be at the show when these 3 songs are played
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1