Options

Hall of Fame Reviews

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,951
    rummy said:

Sprunkn7 said:

Saw this online and thought it was pretty touching. It was so weird to see Journey that to me isn't the "real" Journey. But I felt bad for the guy knowing everyone wanted Steve to sing!

Not too derail the thread but I couldn't help myself but make the connection: If Journey is now in the HoF, Bon Jovi's gotta be next. Sure "Don't Stop Believin" is an anthem but "Livin' on a Prayer" isn't? Ridiculous - and I don't even really like Bon Jovi!!!!!
    I don't see Bon Jovi meeting the "influential" requirement. My opinion....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited April 2017

rummy said:

Sprunkn7 said:

Saw this online and thought it was pretty touching. It was so weird to see Journey that to me isn't the "real" Journey. But I felt bad for the guy knowing everyone wanted Steve to sing!

Not too derail the thread but I couldn't help myself but make the connection: If Journey is now in the HoF, Bon Jovi's gotta be next. Sure "Don't Stop Believin" is an anthem but "Livin' on a Prayer" isn't? Ridiculous - and I don't even really like Bon Jovi!!!!!
    I don't see Bon Jovi meeting the "influential" requirement. My opinion....
    Maybe so but who did Journey influence? Bon Jovi?

With the above said, I don't want to rail too much on the HoF. They just recognized one of the greatest rock bands of all time last night.

(FTR: I'm talking about Pearl Jam...not Journey or ELO...although I don't mind Jeff Lynne's music.)

• Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I think Bon Jovi should be in... But they happen to be my second fave band, so maybe I'm just biased.
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    PJSiren said:

I think Bon Jovi should be in... But they happen to be my second fave band, so maybe I'm just biased.

Nah. I'm not much of a fan (I have nothing against them, just never got past "Always," I suppose) but I do think they are Hall worthy - especially if Journey is.
    Crap. I've derailed the thread.

• Options
    BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    "Wonder why Jack didn't wanna play on a song."

Are you trolling or just uninformed?

The band has been great to Jack and vice versa. Stop complaining and whining and just enjoy the moment.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    Bob Jovi easily should be in the HOF. They would be better than other artist inducted last night besides PJ.

But the HOF is a joke so no big deal.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519

Karaoke Journey was a disappointment but otherwise a great night. There's no way I'd go see them in concert with that guy singing.

Arnel Pineda has been the singer for Journey for a long time now. Love his story of being discovered from youtube and going from being very poor in the Philippines to lead singer of Journey.

And he sings really well too.

• Options
    aliveguy324aliveguy324 Posts: 75
    edited April 2017
    Here is the video of Eddie on Letterman:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OlZKFJueoIA
  • Options
    DunnerDunner Posts: 1
    edited April 2017

Was anyone else itchin' to move down to those huge patches of empty seats on Stone's side? Sections 7,8,9ish. I couldn't do it because I hate it when someone tries to debo my seat and act dumb, but man those seats were empty from start to finish. The ushers didn't look like they were checking either.

OMG yes! Was in section 209 with a pretty good view and amazing sound but.... That would've been even better! Noticed them empty also. We were right above the guy holding the spotlight on EV while onstage (and many others). The guy, Davis, gave us his entire program + set list pages for the whole ceremony! An amazing piece of memorabilia!!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    This is so like Pearl Jam fans to critique the ever loving shit out of last night.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    green mountain mangreen mountain man Posts: 735
    edited April 2017

This is so like Pearl Jam fans to critique the ever loving shit out of last night.

Best quote of this thread
    Post edited by green mountain man on
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2017
    I'll admit that I think a reason why G2F was chosen was also a shoutout to Kim. I can't help but think that EV had a memory of walking over to dance w/ her after the lyrics were done that night and it kind of tugged me. It was very touching and I always am reminded of the version when Kim was brought up on stage to sign the song. This band is too much sometimes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eigy86Nvnzo
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,218
    This is just plain awesome. Jeff is the best.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,314
    So glad I was there to witness it. Never thought I would see the original lineup play live.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    I'm at the point where any Dave A posts appear like how people got blocked out in the White Christmas episode of Black Mirror.

Still thinking about Friday.
    The ovation in the beginning.
    Dhani Harrison's speech was the best of the night.
    ELO was the best performance by far next to PJ
    Really loved Letterman. Thought he did an amazing job.
    The PJ performance was perfect. They played the perfect 4 songs for that type of event.
    I also thought the most under the radar thing all night was The Cross performance by Kravitz.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,714
    Damn I want that shirt. I always new a lot of great bands weren't inducted but holy shit does that shirt still shock me.
  • Options
    I like Dave A. Hate the weird fanboyism
  • Options

Still thinking about Friday.
    The ovation in the beginning.
    Dhani Harrison's speech was the best of the night.
    ELO was the best performance by far next to PJ
    Really loved Letterman. Thought he did an amazing job.
    The PJ performance was perfect. They played the perfect 4 songs for that type of event.
    I also thought the most under the radar thing all night was The Cross performance by Kravitz.

Agree completely with all of this.
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    This thread needs to be bumped back to the top.

So glad I attended this event. I got to spend the weekend with my favorite cousin and witness the induction of the greatest band on earth into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The show was fantastic. I enjoyed Dhani Harrison's speech, the tribute to Chuck Berry, Snoop Dogg and Alicia Keys, Lenny Kravitz. Joan Baez was phenomenal. And of course, the Pearl Jam speeches and songs. Stone was hilarious, Jeff humble, Mike was just enjoying the night. Matt Cameron rocks. Boom so gracious. And Eddie meandered along his way.

Loved the four greatest hits for what they were. I'm happy to say I'm still good on a 14-year stretch, and I'm looking forward to what next year will bring. So honored to be part of this band's history.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Journey is an extension of Santana from the 60s. I don't listen to a ton of arena 80s rock but i consider Journey to be a lot more influential than Bon Jovi. Once they got Perry they exploded. One of the best voices in rock history
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170

Journey is an extension of Santana from the 60s. I don't listen to a ton of arena 80s rock but i consider Journey to be a lot more influential than Bon Jovi. Once they got Perry they exploded. One of the best voices in rock history

Wheel In The Sky kicks ass!
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited April 2017

Wheel In The Sky kicks ass!
    Journey's Infinity album is still one of my all-time faves!!
    Opening with Lights...followed with the incredible seque from Feeling That Way into Anytime.
    Patiently...Wheel In The Sky...Something To Hide...Winds Of March!!
    Don't think I skip a single song. :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    MiiikeMiiike Posts: 436
    edited April 2020
    ""
    Post edited by Miiike on
  • Options
    BrokenGlassBrokenGlass Posts: 298
    Am I the only one who really wishes they would have just done this instead?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHEYs0CMe4U&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,172

I think they've grown since then. Although would have been great to hear Mike "tssst" when Dave A's name was mentioned again. :lol:
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849

Jeff Ament t-shirt kind of said something similar. :)
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693
    Shoptopps.com just put up for sale a Garbage Pail Kids Hall of Fame Induction card set that features a card with Letterman on stage with PJ. You can buy that card by itself or
    as part of a set. I got the set.

Andrew
  • Options

Nope.
    That would have been music to the fans ears.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,909

Nope.
    I was really hoping Ed would start off with the same comment. Just as a gag! Would've been hilarious!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options

Nope.
    I was really hoping Ed would start off with the same comment. Just as a gag! Would've been hilarious!
    Ha! love it