Options

Terrorist attack in Stockholm, Sweden

Comments

• Options

When Christians and Muslims slaughter each other in the Central African Republic, is it really about religion?

I think you meant to ask: does it ultimately matter?

To which, the answer would be 'no'.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    ^^^
    Reminds me of a saying.....
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Another terrorist attack from the religion of peace.
    Prayers to all those effected by this.

Lol

Get ready for the apologist attack. Prepare for the following questions and subsequent points and you might be able to hold your own:

Do you know how many people die from mosquitoes each year? A few deaths from terrorism is nothing.
    Do you know how many people practice the religion of peace... peacefully? These events are outliers.
    Do you know that in 1995 Timothy McVeigh blew up a building in Oklahoma? There's just as much Christian terrorism as Islamic terrorism.
    What are you trying to say.
    Thirty bills is saying that he attributes the terrorism as a manifestation of the Muslim religion belief system, most likely because he's misinformed about the religion and has little direct contact with Muslims. He's minimizing terrorism committed in the name of Christianity, both past and present, most likely because he's more familiar with Christianity and those who practice it. He probably doesn't have much information about acts of murder currently carried out by Christians in the name of their faith. If he learns about these, he'll say it's an abomination of the faith and will give other reasons for it. But when a terrorist is Muslim, it's primarily because of their religion.
    A while back when dealing with this topic and when challenged, you posted some obscure list of Christian terrorist acts. It was a list that spanned the length of over 20 years and really struggled to piece together a solid grouping of events. The acts ranged from mostly small incidents like abortion clinic bombings to other events that by today's standards... resembled birthday parties. It's big ticket item was McVeigh's Oklahoma bombing which, as anyone knows, was not rooted in religion- it was an assault on the federal government. But it's understandable such a list and you sought to include that piece of history... it needed something to try and make its case.

It was a good effort, but it fell very short of accomplishing what you intended, which was to say Christian terrorism is on par with Islamic terrorism. It's not even remotely close.

As for the crude psychoanalysis... I'm not going to respond other than to say I'm sorry that's all you had to come up with after stewing on my post all day knowing full well the rhetorical questions I posed to Scruffy may as well have come from you.
    I am not going to address all the issues raised but I find it very unfortunate and in really poor taste that you would joke about bombings of abortion clinics. Violence against abortion providers is a hugely serious issue that has had grave consequences to the providers themselves, of course, but also to the availability of abortion services to the population as a whole.

I do agree that your position was misrepresented, but don't agree with your reply.
    I think you misunderstood my reply. I never joked about abortion clinic bombings. I think they are very serious. I'm not sure how you got that?
    Your phrase "by today's standards resemble birthday parties" seems to trivialize the issue in a flippant way. If I misunderstood, I apologize, but that's still how it reads to me.
    I said: "The acts ranged from mostly small incidents like abortion clinic bombings to 'other' events that by today's standards... resembled birthday parties."

* I spoke of 'other events' resembling birthday parties in comparison (and of course... these other events are hardly trivial... they're just not quite as horrific as, say, the church bombings in Egypt this morning). In no way have I deliberately tried to minimize any act of violence.
    Your grouping the abortion clinic bombings in that range suggests to me that you included the whole range in the events that resemble birthday parties. You say you didn't intend that, so fine. I would say it is a damn strange analogy to make for someone who says they aren't trying to deliberately minimize any acts of violence.
    Often... I was trying to make a point. Maybe I failed. I've since tried to clarify what I was getting at. Maybe I've failed again.

I'm trying to illustrate that sporadic and somewhat smaller events (factoring in body counts and level of depravity) over the span of 2-3 decades hardly qualifies as a rival to what we are currently bearing witness to.

If you disagree then fine. If you feel I have done a very poor job trying to detail my position then all I can say is I'll do better next time.
    I understood your point. I can even partially agree with your point, at least in contrast to how your position was being (mis)represented. I just strongly disagree with how you chose to present it. And maybe I'm more sensitive than many to the issue of health care providers being injured or killed solely because they are providing medical care to someone.

So for now we can agree to disagree on this. Have a good Sunday.
    There's no disagreement. As I said... I'll try and do better making my point next time (not at the expense of anyone or anything else).

Have a good day too (I'm settling in to the Masters after a sweet bike ride up and down one of our local mountains!).
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    dirty here is another one but let's somehow compare christianity fundamentalists to muslims.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/09/africa/somalia-bombing-kills-at-least-15/index.html
    A suicide car bombing Sunday in the Somali capital Mogadishu killed at least 17 people, Somali police said.

Terror group Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility through a statement on Andalus Radio, its main radio channel.
    Police Capt. Osman Mohamed said the attack was an attempt to assassinate the new Somali military chief, Gen. Ahmed Mohamed Irfid.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

dirty here is another one but let's somehow compare christianity fundamentalists to muslims.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/09/africa/somalia-bombing-kills-at-least-15/index.html
    A suicide car bombing Sunday in the Somali capital Mogadishu killed at least 17 people, Somali police said.

Terror group Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility through a statement on Andalus Radio, its main radio channel.
    Police Capt. Osman Mohamed said the attack was an attempt to assassinate the new Somali military chief, Gen. Ahmed Mohamed Irfid.

Are you a Christian, non-believer, or what?
    You seem to have an issue with an entire religion and don't hesitate to voice it so I think it would be relevant to know your beliefs in a general sense.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

You seem to have an issue with an entire religion and don't hesitate to voice it so I think it would be relevant to know your beliefs in a general sense.
    i m showing how absurd it is to compare Christians and Muslim s killing in the name of their religion. Christians arent driving cars into crowds or blowing themselves up to take out a new leader.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I ve made three posts about it two of which made the news today. Just tired of the religion of peace killing a hell of a lot of innocent people.
    I don't have an issue with an entire religion, I m actually as open minded as they come. But I do call a spade a spade.

I'm just wondering if you call the Catholic/Christian spade a child raping spade or if you save your sarcastic judgements for that other religion from a foreign land.
    "The religion of peace" was originally an epithet for Christianity, it wasn't​ used to describe Islam until after 9/11 when it was used by Bush as a response to the ignorant multitudes who were jumping to hold the entire religion culpable.
    It has since become a sarcastic insult from those same ignorant rubes, and you using it the way you have been places you among an unsavoury crowd.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I ve made three posts about it two of which made the news today. Just tired of the religion of peace killing a hell of a lot of innocent people.
    I don't have an issue with an entire religion, I m actually as open minded as they come. But I do call a spade a spade.

I'm just wondering if you call the Catholic/Christian spade a child raping spade or if you save your sarcastic judgements for that other religion from a foreign land.
    "The religion of peace" was originally an epithet for Christianity, it wasn't​ used to describe Islam until after 9/11 when it was used by Bush as a response to the ignorant multitudes who were jumping to hold the entire religion culpable.
    It has since become a sarcastic insult from those same ignorant rubes, and you using it the way you have been places you among an unsavoury crowd.
    Thank you for the history lesson. Your comparisons are apples and oranges.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I didn't make any comparisons.
    I'm only asking if you consider yourself a member of the "religion of sexual responsibility" or not. (Yes, I just made that up) If not, then there's no hypocrisy, if so, then the hypocrisy is deep and dirty.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I'm only asking if you consider yourself a member of the "religion of sexual responsibility" or not. (Yes, I just made that up) If not, then there's no hypocrisy, if so, then the hypocrisy is deep and dirty.
    I m Roman Catholic. I m also divorced and then remarried so in the eyes of the Catholic Church i am not much. Lol
    There are things in the church I agree with and others I find to be complete farce.
    Not sure where the hypocrisy is.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I m Roman Catholic. I m also divorced and then remarried so in the eyes of the Catholic Church i am not much. Lol
    There are things in the church I agree with and others I find to be complete farce.
    The hypocrisy is in painting one entire religion the colour of it's nastiest adherents and absolving yourself from being an adherent to a religion which is very well proven to have a problem with nasty adherents.
    While the Pope sits on his golden throne, enveloped in golden robes, in the most highly valued property in the world, the Montana branch of the Roman Catholic church is filing bankruptcy because it can't afford to pay civil suits to all the people who were raped by priests.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

The hypocrisy is in painting one entire religion the colour of it's nastiest adherents and absolving yourself from being an adherent to a religion which is very well proven to have a problem with nasty adherents.
    While the Pope sits on his golden throne, enveloped in golden robes, in the most highly valued property in the world, the Montana branch of the Roman Catholic church is filing bankruptcy because it can't afford to pay civil suits to all the people who were raped by priests.
    And I hope all those priests who are guilty of rape go to hell.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

We certainly agree on that, though I personally believe heaven and hell are silly fantasies that make life more bearable for a certain type of person.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    another example of open boarders working
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,625

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Get ready for the apologist attack. Prepare for the following questions and subsequent points and you might be able to hold your own:

Do you know how many people die from mosquitoes each year? A few deaths from terrorism is nothing.
    Do you know how many people practice the religion of peace... peacefully? These events are outliers.
    Do you know that in 1995 Timothy McVeigh blew up a building in Oklahoma? There's just as much Christian terrorism as Islamic terrorism.
    Thirty bills is saying that he attributes the terrorism as a manifestation of the Muslim religion belief system, most likely because he's misinformed about the religion and has little direct contact with Muslims. He's minimizing terrorism committed in the name of Christianity, both past and present, most likely because he's more familiar with Christianity and those who practice it. He probably doesn't have much information about acts of murder currently carried out by Christians in the name of their faith. If he learns about these, he'll say it's an abomination of the faith and will give other reasons for it. But when a terrorist is Muslim, it's primarily because of their religion.
    and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
    What's inevitable is that you completely misunderstood my point. You go back to what's worse as far as outcomes; Christian terrorism or Muslim terrorism. I'll break it down to one sentence: you think the religion is the motivator when it's done by a Muslim, and you attribute it to something else when it's a Christian.
    No.

I don't reserve my disdain for Islam. I am critical of Christianity when Christianity needs to be criticized. In our era, I have a particular distaste for the Westboro Baptist Church morons, but again... protesting gays is a far cry from throwing them off building tops.

In our era... if you can point me to a Christian group of terrorists that are lopping people's heads off or blowing people up in random locations... I'll cast my stones. You have consistently failed to do this outside of pointing to random acts over several decades and hence, my position remains the same.

You forget I'm an atheist maybe? I'm

And for the record, I have no problem with people practicing religion provided their practices don't interfere with other people's lives.
    Does it count when Christians are killing Muslims in Africa? Lopping off genitals and hands?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/tens-of-thousands-of-muslims-flee-christian-militias-in-central-african-republic/2014/02/07/5a1adbb2-9032-11e3-84e1-27626c5ef5fb_story.html
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
    What's inevitable is that you completely misunderstood my point. You go back to what's worse as far as outcomes; Christian terrorism or Muslim terrorism. I'll break it down to one sentence: you think the religion is the motivator when it's done by a Muslim, and you attribute it to something else when it's a Christian.
    No.

I don't reserve my disdain for Islam. I am critical of Christianity when Christianity needs to be criticized. In our era, I have a particular distaste for the Westboro Baptist Church morons, but again... protesting gays is a far cry from throwing them off building tops.

In our era... if you can point me to a Christian group of terrorists that are lopping people's heads off or blowing people up in random locations... I'll cast my stones. You have consistently failed to do this outside of pointing to random acts over several decades and hence, my position remains the same.

And for the record, I have no problem with people practicing religion provided their practices don't interfere with other people's lives.
    Does it count when Christians are killing Muslims in Africa? Lopping off genitals and hands?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/tens-of-thousands-of-muslims-flee-christian-militias-in-central-african-republic/2014/02/07/5a1adbb2-9032-11e3-84e1-27626c5ef5fb_story.html
    To some degree.

There is much instability in Africa. Muslim factions have viciously attacked Christians in many well documented events in various regions. An uprising against such violence was only inevitable so... as much as you might wish to portray this as a random event and terrorism as we have come to accept it... it's more warfare in my mind with religion dividing the lines.

And I really hope you weren't inferring that I might feel differently because the victims were Africans.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
    No.

To some degree.

There is much instability in Africa. Muslim factions have viciously attacked Christians in many well documented events in various regions. An uprising against such violence was only inevitable so... as much as you might wish to portray this as a random event and terrorism as we have come to accept it... it's more warfare in my mind with religion dividing the lines.

And I really hope you weren't inferring that I might feel differently because the victims were Africans.
    Dirty now you are sayings Africans don't count?! Come on bro!! ;)

(I kid I kid)
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Saw a report that the truck was filled with a bomb and that someone had blocked it from driving towards Parliament.

Any truth to that or fake news?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

We certainly agree on that, though I personally believe heaven and hell are silly fantasies that make life more bearable for a certain type of person.
    the greatest trick the devil ever pulled ......

Muslims believe in hell. Christians believe in hell. Hindus believe in hell.
    ... lol
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
    No.

To some degree.

I'm suggesting, and this reply supports it, that you attribute religion as a motivator for international terrorists, but deny it as a motivator when atrocities are done in a different setting.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    unsung said:
    Who takes its news from the Daily Mail. HAHA. Whats next - Fox News?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rssesq said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

the greatest trick the devil ever pulled ......

Muslims believe in hell. Christians believe in hell. Hindus believe in hell.
    ... lol
    And if they all get their way, we will be living there!
  • Options
    if you don't believe in hell I assume it's quite easy to go through life exploiting at will.
  • Options
    rssesq said:

if you don't believe in hell I assume it's quite easy to go through life exploiting at will.

Bad assumption.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
    No.

To some degree.

I'm suggesting, and this reply supports it, that you attribute religion as a motivator for international terrorists, but deny it as a motivator when atrocities are done in a different setting.
    In my response I acknowledged that your example 'could' be considered a case of
    Christian terrorism (I said "to some degree"), but I also spoke to factors that you seem to want to ignore and which didn't make it as clear cut as you so badly wanted it to be.

Christians retaliating against Muslims... or Muslims retaliating against Christians in a destabilized area of the planet without order doesn't resemble my idea of terrorism. It resembles conflict or war.

I'm afraid you are going to have to keep trying.
  • Options
    rssesq said:

That's a juvenile thought process.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    rssesq said:

No. But if you believe you can be forgiven sitting in a booth with a priest, I guess it's easy.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2017

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
    No.

To some degree.

In my response I acknowledged that your example 'could' be considered a case of
    Christian terrorism (I said "to some degree"), but I also spoke to factors that you seem to want to ignore and which didn't make it as clear cut as you so badly wanted it to be.

Christians retaliating against Muslims... or Muslims retaliating against Christians in a destabilized area of the planet without order doesn't resemble my idea of terrorism. It resembles conflict or war.

I'm afraid you are going to have to keep trying.
    I agree. Certain practiced ideological differences regarding martyrdom/jihad are currently taught or encouraged disproportionately between different religions, the same as the acceptability of stoning women/marrying 11year olds, etc. Sure, there have been some pendulum swings throughout history in regards to atrocities, but Radical Islamists are the ones chopping off heads, blowing people up, and stoning women in the name of "Allah" in this era.
    Sure, a large majority of Muslims are not radical, but a large number of the population are, and that large number are constantly looking for groups to drive trucks through.
  • Options

rssesq said:

No. But if you believe you can be forgiven sitting in a booth with a priest, I guess it's easy.
    or if when u die u simply dissolve into the body of your people =) and wont go to hell no matter what scandalous shit ya did, I guess that's super easy.