Options

Terrorist attack in Stockholm, Sweden

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619

mcgruff10 said:

Another terrorist attack from the religion of peace.
    Prayers to all those effected by this.

Lol

Get ready for the apologist attack. Prepare for the following questions and subsequent points and you might be able to hold your own:

Do you know how many people die from mosquitoes each year? A few deaths from terrorism is nothing.
    Do you know how many people practice the religion of peace... peacefully? These events are outliers.
    Do you know that in 1995 Timothy McVeigh blew up a building in Oklahoma? There's just as much Christian terrorism as Islamic terrorism.
    What are you trying to say.
    Thirty bills is saying that he attributes the terrorism as a manifestation of the Muslim religion belief system, most likely because he's misinformed about the religion and has little direct contact with Muslims. He's minimizing terrorism committed in the name of Christianity, both past and present, most likely because he's more familiar with Christianity and those who practice it. He probably doesn't have much information about acts of murder currently carried out by Christians in the name of their faith. If he learns about these, he'll say it's an abomination of the faith and will give other reasons for it. But when a terrorist is Muslim, it's primarily because of their religion.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    unsung said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Get ready for the apologist attack. Prepare for the following questions and subsequent points and you might be able to hold your own:

Do you know how many people die from mosquitoes each year? A few deaths from terrorism is nothing.
    Do you know how many people practice the religion of peace... peacefully? These events are outliers.
    Do you know that in 1995 Timothy McVeigh blew up a building in Oklahoma? There's just as much Christian terrorism as Islamic terrorism.
    Don't forget...

He was Swedish, he was born there.
    He was from Uzbekistan,( but I understand what you mean.)

Bootlegger10's advices was good, I will try and follow them.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Thirty bills is saying that he attributes the terrorism as a manifestation of the Muslim religion belief system, most likely because he's misinformed about the religion and has little direct contact with Muslims. He's minimizing terrorism committed in the name of Christianity, both past and present, most likely because he's more familiar with Christianity and those who practice it. He probably doesn't have much information about acts of murder currently carried out by Christians in the name of their faith. If he learns about these, he'll say it's an abomination of the faith and will give other reasons for it. But when a terrorist is Muslim, it's primarily because of their religion.
    A while back when dealing with this topic and when challenged, you posted some obscure list of Christian terrorist acts. It was a list that spanned the length of over 20 years and really struggled to piece together a solid grouping of events. The acts ranged from mostly small incidents like abortion clinic bombings to other events that by today's standards... resembled birthday parties. It's big ticket item was McVeigh's Oklahoma bombing which, as anyone knows, was not rooted in religion- it was an assault on the federal government. But it's understandable such a list and you sought to include that piece of history... it needed something to try and make its case.

It was a good effort, but it fell very short of accomplishing what you intended, which was to say Christian terrorism is on par with Islamic terrorism. It's not even remotely close.

As for the crude psychoanalysis... I'm not going to respond other than to say I'm sorry that's all you had to come up with after stewing on my post all day knowing full well the rhetorical questions I posed to Scruffy may as well have come from you.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

A while back when dealing with this topic and when challenged, you posted some obscure list of Christian terrorist acts. It was a list that spanned the length of over 20 years and really struggled to piece together a solid grouping of events. The acts ranged from mostly small incidents like abortion clinic bombings to other events that by today's standards... resembled birthday parties. It's big ticket item was McVeigh's Oklahoma bombing which, as anyone knows, was not rooted in religion- it was an assault on the federal government. But it's understandable such a list and you sought to include that piece of history... it needed something to try and make its case.

It was a good effort, but it fell very short of accomplishing what you intended, which was to say Christian terrorism is on par with Islamic terrorism. It's not even remotely close.

As for the crude psychoanalysis... I'm not going to respond other than to say I'm sorry that's all you had to come up with after stewing on my post all day knowing full well the rhetorical questions I posed to Scruffy may as well have come from you.
    I am not going to address all the issues raised but I find it very unfortunate and in really poor taste that you would joke about bombings of abortion clinics. Violence against abortion providers is a hugely serious issue that has had grave consequences to the providers themselves, of course, but also to the availability of abortion services to the population as a whole.

I do agree that your position was misrepresented, but don't agree with your reply.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

An 11-year old girl on her way home from school is one of the victims.

Horrible.

It takes a special kind of person to be able to drive a truck into a bunch of innocent people.

What was to gain? I'm at a loss to explain the measurable gains from committing such a callous act.

It's a purely psychotic mentality.
    They are a plague. They are intent on destroying everything that exists and are willing to ensure the subjugation of any survivors.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

There have been many discussions on here that the religious right in the USA are just as dangerous as Islamic extremists which is the most silly thought in the history of mankind. Hundreds of thousands of people are dying around the world at the hands of Muslim extremists, and probably 50 people have died in the last ten years by Christian extremists.

Anyway, my takeaway if living in Europe: avoid loitering in large groups near a street, airports, train stations and large events. Understand where the exits are, enjoy the show, and get out. Get checked into the airport as quickly as you can. No reason to take chances.

You just described how we should think, visiting the US with all your gun nuts shooting in public places and cops without proper training and/or racial bias.

The wave of terrorist attacks is scary. But Europe is still safe. But obviously, I will think more about it now when it's happend here. Sweden being a very safe and shielded place.
    So there are no such thing as no-go zones and rapes have not increased?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:

Horrible.

It takes a special kind of person to be able to drive a truck into a bunch of innocent people.

What was to gain? I'm at a loss to explain the measurable gains from committing such a callous act.

They are a plague. They are intent on destroying everything that exists and are willing to ensure the subjugation of any survivors.
    But enough about the current administration.....
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    unsung said:

There have been many discussions on here that the religious right in the USA are just as dangerous as Islamic extremists which is the most silly thought in the history of mankind. Hundreds of thousands of people are dying around the world at the hands of Muslim extremists, and probably 50 people have died in the last ten years by Christian extremists.

Anyway, my takeaway if living in Europe: avoid loitering in large groups near a street, airports, train stations and large events. Understand where the exits are, enjoy the show, and get out. Get checked into the airport as quickly as you can. No reason to take chances.

You just described how we should think, visiting the US with all your gun nuts shooting in public places and cops without proper training and/or racial bias.

The wave of terrorist attacks is scary. But Europe is still safe. But obviously, I will think more about it now when it's happend here. Sweden being a very safe and shielded place.
    So everyone should stop visiting Europe, construct a bomb shelter, and wear steel chastity belts to prevent unwanted intruders? What you are defining is how terrorism wins, and it's pure cowardice. I put myself in far riskier situations regularly when I jay walk or use a shower, both of which have incident rates higher than Europeans being victims of terrorism.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    unsung said:

What on earth are you talking about? No-go zones? Have you been watching too much Fox News or something?
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    unsung said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Don't forget...

He wasn't Swedish. He was am Uzbek national who had been denied the right to stay in Sweden and was wanted for deportation. Try sticking to facts please
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

unsung said:

Horrible.

But enough about the current administration.....
    You wanted big govt, now you got it.
  • Options

unsung said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Don't forget...

He wasn't Swedish. He was am Uzbek national who had been denied the right to stay in Sweden and was wanted for deportation. Try sticking to facts please
    No kidding? Thanks Capt Obvious.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

I am not going to address all the issues raised but I find it very unfortunate and in really poor taste that you would joke about bombings of abortion clinics. Violence against abortion providers is a hugely serious issue that has had grave consequences to the providers themselves, of course, but also to the availability of abortion services to the population as a whole.

I do agree that your position was misrepresented, but don't agree with your reply.
    I think you misunderstood my reply. I never joked about abortion clinic bombings. I think they are very serious. I'm not sure how you got that?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

I think you misunderstood my reply. I never joked about abortion clinic bombings. I think they are very serious. I'm not sure how you got that?
    Your phrase "by today's standards resemble birthday parties" seems to trivialize the issue in a flippant way. If I misunderstood, I apologize, but that's still how it reads to me.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Your phrase "by today's standards resemble birthday parties" seems to trivialize the issue in a flippant way. If I misunderstood, I apologize, but that's still how it reads to me.
    I said: "The acts ranged from mostly small incidents like abortion clinic bombings to 'other' events that by today's standards... resembled birthday parties."

* I spoke of 'other events' resembling birthday parties in comparison (and of course... these other events are hardly trivial... they're just not quite as horrific as, say, the church bombings in Egypt this morning). In no way have I deliberately tried to minimize any act of violence.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

I said: "The acts ranged from mostly small incidents like abortion clinic bombings to 'other' events that by today's standards... resembled birthday parties."

* I spoke of 'other events' resembling birthday parties in comparison (and of course... these other events are hardly trivial... they're just not quite as horrific as, say, the church bombings in Egypt this morning). In no way have I deliberately tried to minimize any act of violence.
    Your grouping the abortion clinic bombings in that range suggests to me that you included the whole range in the events that resemble birthday parties. You say you didn't intend that, so fine. I would say it is a damn strange analogy to make for someone who says they aren't trying to deliberately minimize any acts of violence.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
    how can you even compare the two?

religion of peace at it again:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/09/middleeast/egypt-church-explosion/index.html
    ISIS claimed responsibility for bombings that killed 36 at two Coptic churches in Egypt on Palm Sunday -- brazen strikes against a vulnerable minority on one of the most important days on the Christian calendar.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Your grouping the abortion clinic bombings in that range suggests to me that you included the whole range in the events that resemble birthday parties. You say you didn't intend that, so fine. I would say it is a damn strange analogy to make for someone who says they aren't trying to deliberately minimize any acts of violence.
    Often... I was trying to make a point. Maybe I failed. I've since tried to clarify what I was getting at. Maybe I've failed again.

I'm trying to illustrate that sporadic and somewhat smaller events (factoring in body counts and level of depravity) over the span of 2-3 decades hardly qualifies as a rival to what we are currently bearing witness to.

If you disagree then fine. If you feel I have done a very poor job trying to detail my position then all I can say is I'll do better next time.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
    how can you even compare the two?

religion of peace at it again:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/09/middleeast/egypt-church-explosion/index.html
    ISIS claimed responsibility for bombings that killed 36 at two Coptic churches in Egypt on Palm Sunday -- brazen strikes against a vulnerable minority on one of the most important days on the Christian calendar.
    Are you an atheist or an adherent?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    Manifestation in Stockholm. It's the place where it happend.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

I tried to look up more about this but could only find reporting in Swedish. A peaceful and supportive gathering, though, I hope?
  • Options
    What is the rally for or against?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Okay, found this page that could be translated into English

https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://fr.sputniknews.com/international/201704091030816127-attentat-stockholm-victime-manifestation/&prev=search

A portion of the article:

Thousands of people gathered in the Swedish capital to commemorate the victims of the April 7th bombing which claimed the lives of four people and injured many.

On Sunday, several thousand Swedes met in the center of Stockholm to participate in a demonstration in the name of love, peace and mutual support, paying tribute to the victims of the April 7th bombing.

Participants brought flowers, candles, as well as Swedish flags that they placed on the scene of the drama. The memory of the victims will also be honored by observing a minute's silence.

The initiative of the organizers has received the support of the authorities of the city.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Often... I was trying to make a point. Maybe I failed. I've since tried to clarify what I was getting at. Maybe I've failed again.

I'm trying to illustrate that sporadic and somewhat smaller events (factoring in body counts and level of depravity) over the span of 2-3 decades hardly qualifies as a rival to what we are currently bearing witness to.

If you disagree then fine. If you feel I have done a very poor job trying to detail my position then all I can say is I'll do better next time.
    I understood your point. I can even partially agree with your point, at least in contrast to how your position was being (mis)represented. I just strongly disagree with how you chose to present it. And maybe I'm more sensitive than many to the issue of health care providers being injured or killed solely because they are providing medical care to someone.

So for now we can agree to disagree on this. Have a good Sunday.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    edited April 2017

I tried to look up more about this but could only find reporting in Swedish. A peaceful and supportive gathering, though, I hope?
    Yes. It has been a very peaceful and supportive "mood" following the attack. "This won't stop us" kind of thing. And people are very supportive on how the police, ambulance etc handled it.

Thought the racist party in parlament and stuff would speak up and try to gain support after this . Buy haven't seen anything, so maybe that's only on social media and stuff or maybe even them have tact enough to chill.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
    What's inevitable is that you completely misunderstood my point. You go back to what's worse as far as outcomes; Christian terrorism or Muslim terrorism. I'll break it down to one sentence: you think the religion is the motivator when it's done by a Muslim, and you attribute it to something else when it's a Christian.
  • Options
    When Christians and Muslims slaughter each other in the Central African Republic, is it really about religion?
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

and there it is dirty!!
    It was inevitable lol.
    What's inevitable is that you completely misunderstood my point. You go back to what's worse as far as outcomes; Christian terrorism or Muslim terrorism. I'll break it down to one sentence: you think the religion is the motivator when it's done by a Muslim, and you attribute it to something else when it's a Christian.
    No.

I don't reserve my disdain for Islam. I am critical of Christianity when Christianity needs to be criticized. In our era, I have a particular distaste for the Westboro Baptist Church morons, but again... protesting gays is a far cry from throwing them off building tops.

In our era... if you can point me to a Christian group of terrorists that are lopping people's heads off or blowing people up in random locations... I'll cast my stones. You have consistently failed to do this outside of pointing to random acts over several decades and hence, my position remains the same.

You forget I'm an atheist maybe? I'm

And for the record, I have no problem with people practicing religion provided their practices don't interfere with other people's lives.