Options

Terrorist attack in Stockholm, Sweden

At least two dead. Truck driving into people. Our prime minister has called it a terrorist attack.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Good thing they have free health care.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited April 2017
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Seems to be the trending method as of late...
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Any motive released yet?
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Sweden's fine guys #fakenews
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    PJPOWER said:

It's just too easy. It's quite scary.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087

PJPOWER said:

It's just too easy. It's quite scary.
    Yup.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Has it been reported what motivated this terrorist?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    My thoughts are with your people Spiritual_Chaos
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Meets a lot of hallmarks:
    1: Not concerned with loss of own life (possible martyrdom?)
    2: Targeted crowded place with no specific concern of who they were killing (did not target race, government, any specific groups, just going for a kill count).
    3: Used a trending preferred method seen recently by a...specific group.
    Not going to say this is logic is conclusive, but it does meet some specific premises tied to certain ideologies.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Here is an image released of the suspect...wtf?

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    Another terrorist attack from the religion of peace.
    Prayers to all those effected by this.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    unsung said:

Here is an image released of the suspect...wtf?

He's been caught.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Get ready for the apologist attack. Prepare for the following questions and subsequent points and you might be able to hold your own:

Do you know how many people die from mosquitoes each year? A few deaths from terrorism is nothing.
    Do you know how many people practice the religion of peace... peacefully? These events are outliers.
    Do you know that in 1995 Timothy McVeigh blew up a building in Oklahoma? There's just as much Christian terrorism as Islamic terrorism.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited April 2017
    PJPOWER said:

2: Targeted crowded place with no specific concern of who they were killing (did not target race, government, any specific groups, just going for a kill count).
    Not going to say this is logic is conclusive, but it does meet some specific premises tied to certain ideologies.
    Why are you scared to say Islamic extremists or ISIS? Are you still labouring under the false impression that there are people who aren't willing to admit there is an Islamic extremist/ISIS terrorism problem going on or are apologists for it? (Looks like you're kind of stuck under the same mistaken premise Thirty. Amazing how many people have misread the issue).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Get ready for the apologist attack. Prepare for the following questions and subsequent points and you might be able to hold your own:

Do you know how many people die from mosquitoes each year? A few deaths from terrorism is nothing.
    Do you know how many people practice the religion of peace... peacefully? These events are outliers.
    Do you know that in 1995 Timothy McVeigh blew up a building in Oklahoma? There's just as much Christian terrorism as Islamic terrorism.
    Lol so true bud.
    We need to get beers soon.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

What are you trying to say.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

What are you trying to say.
    I'm trying to say I feel awful for the victims.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Why are you scared to say Islamic extremists or ISIS? Are you still labouring under the false impression that there are people who aren't willing to admit there is an Islamic extremist/ISIS terrorism problem going on or are apologists for it? (Looks like you're kind of stuck under the same mistaken premise Thirty. Amazing how many people have misread the issue).
    Your own thread saw this comment by a very well-versed contributor: "Drop the word "Islamic" from in front of terrorism and just condemn all "terrorism." Something some people only seem to be outraged by, which is when it's conducted by "islamists" or in the name of "Islam." "

I'm not mistaking anything, Soul. But for you to make the comment you did shows how carelessly you discern the perspectives tossed about on this issue. Not everyone is as eager as you to concede the problem for what it is and it's relevancy in our world's current state of affairs.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Lol so true bud.
    We need to get beers soon.
    Agreed (to the beers notion)!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Your own thread saw this comment by a very well-versed contributor: "Drop the word "Islamic" from in front of terrorism and just condemn all "terrorism." Something some people only seem to be outraged by, which is when it's conducted by "islamists" or in the name of "Islam." "

I'm not mistaking anything, Soul. But for you to make the comment you did shows how carelessly you discern the perspectives tossed about on this issue. Not everyone is as eager as you to concede the problem for what it is and it's relevancy in our world's current state of affairs.
    Who is the very well verse contributor you're talking About? If one person on the boards says something like that, you feel that this pretty sweeping comment/accusation on your part is appropriate? I think it is you who is carelessly discerning the perspectives tossed about on this issue.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Who is the very well verse contributor you're talking About? If one person on the boards says something like that, you feel that this pretty sweeping comment/accusation on your part is appropriate? I think it is you who is carelessly discerning the perspectives tossed about on this issue.
    I gave you one example. There's plenty more, but I'm not going back through threads and spelling it out for you.

And I commented on a perspective that exists. I never made a 'sweeping comment/accusation' (as you framed it). Either acknowledge it's there or pretend it isn't. Scruffy knew what I was talking about.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    There have been many discussions on here that the religious right in the USA are just as dangerous as Islamic extremists which is the most silly thought in the history of mankind. Hundreds of thousands of people are dying around the world at the hands of Muslim extremists, and probably 50 people have died in the last ten years by Christian extremists.

Anyway, my takeaway if living in Europe: avoid loitering in large groups near a street, airports, train stations and large events. Understand where the exits are, enjoy the show, and get out. Get checked into the airport as quickly as you can. No reason to take chances.

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

I think I'm going to start referring to evangelicals as Christian extremists from now on.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    edited April 2017

There have been many discussions on here that the religious right in the USA are just as dangerous as Islamic extremists which is the most silly thought in the history of mankind. Hundreds of thousands of people are dying around the world at the hands of Muslim extremists, and probably 50 people have died in the last ten years by Christian extremists.

Anyway, my takeaway if living in Europe: avoid loitering in large groups near a street, airports, train stations and large events. Understand where the exits are, enjoy the show, and get out. Get checked into the airport as quickly as you can. No reason to take chances.

You just described how we should think, visiting the US with all your gun nuts shooting in public places and cops without proper training and/or racial bias.

The wave of terrorist attacks is scary. But Europe is still safe. But obviously, I will think more about it now when it's happend here. Sweden being a very safe and shielded place.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    An 11-year old girl on her way home from school is one of the victims.

Horrible.
  • Options

An 11-year old girl on her way home from school is one of the victims.

Horrible.

It takes a special kind of person to be able to drive a truck into a bunch of innocent people.

What was to gain? I'm at a loss to explain the measurable gains from committing such a callous act.

It's a purely psychotic mentality.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

You just described how we should think, visiting the US with all your gun nuts shooting in public places and cops without proper training and/or racial bias.

The wave of terrorist attacks is scary. But Europe is still safe. But obviously, I will think more about it now when it's happend here. Sweden being a very safe and shielded place.
    Thank you for speaking such sense. We in Europe are not going to live in fear
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532

Thank you for speaking such sense. We in Europe are not going to live in fear
    I didn't say live in fear. Just be diligent and aware.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Don't forget...

He was Swedish, he was born there.