Options

Tips for traveling to Pearl Jam shows on a budget?

2»

Comments

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited April 2017
    If I'm doing multiple shows on the same leg of a tour...
    I will rent a car and drive to all the shows instead of flying.
    The back to back shows can make for a few long travel days,
    I'm looking at you Pittsburgh & Buffalo / Tulsa & Lincoln / Detroit & Moline... :wink:
    but I always have GREAT travel buddies along on these roadtrips!!
    This gives us a chance to catch up with what has been going on in our lives since the last time we got together.
    Many times there is a built in travel day between shows,
    and we use these off days to check out the cities we are visiting...
    or those on the way to the next show!!
    Don't miss out on seeing the world while you're traveling with the band!!
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Sell heady grilled cheeses and veggie burritos in the lot before and after the show.
    Seek out miracle tickets.
    Sleep in the car.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    derbydave said:

If I'm doing multiple shows on the same leg of a tour...
    I will rent a car and drive to all the shows instead of flying.
    The back to back shows can make for a few long travel days,
    I'm looking at you Pittsburgh & Buffalo / Tulsa & Lincoln / Detroit & Moline... :wink:
    but I always have GREAT travel buddies along on these roadtrips!!
    This gives us a chance to catch up with what has been going on in our lives since the last time we got together.
    Many times there is a built in travel day between shows,
    and we use these off days to check out the cities we are visiting...
    or those on the way to the next show!!
    Don't miss out on seeing the world while you're traveling with the band!!

Detroit to Moline and then back to Detroit. :grimacing:
  • Options
    Staying in hotels just outside of the metro centres usually saves you a bunch of money.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Not going to shows that are over 6 hours driving time away would leave me exactly one city (Vancouver), so to hell with that. You guys clustered in the northeastern section of the continental US have it easy =).
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621

Not going to shows that are over 6 hours driving time away would leave me exactly one city (Vancouver), so to hell with that. You guys clustered in the northeastern section of the continental US have it easy =).

We do have it easy. What week is it?
    :look_at_the_time:
    Oh yeah, it is HoF week -- 90 mile drive to Brooklyn!

I do wish they could play somewhere relatively local to all fans with frequency, but am happy to be spoiled in the Northeastern US.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Here are my 2 cents.
    Don't buy merch. It saves time and money.
    If you go to a show in a city with good public transit options, look at hotels and Airbnb a little outside of the main city core, but still in a location that allows you to access the venue via public transit. Hotels can be half the cost if they are located outside of the core.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    KOA's are half the price of the very cheapest bedbug hotel.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    my2hands said:

- Take the cheap 5 am flights
    - sleep in the airport
    - Don't drink

I'm pretty sure one and two mean three is gonna happen.
    Hotels just aren't worth it to me. A hotel is a flight or a ticket to another show
    Dont you want to spend some time in the place you are visiting? That's half the fun of our PJ road trips, checking out places and cities along the way
    The biggest draw of a Pearl Jam tour is the travel to new places with friends. I let Pearl jam pick the spots I visit.

But yeah, I need a hotel now for sure. No more driving through the night or pulling off to a rest stop for a 2 hour break. Same with 6am flights. My rest/sanity takes precedence over saving a few bucks these days.
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    For Greenville I flew into Atlanta picked up a full size car. Airfare into larger cities is usually (but not always cheaper due to competition ). After the show I explored downtown then drove to airport and crashed in car return lot until early morning flight.works great if you're only able to get a day off.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    edited April 2017
    camsjam said:

For Greenville I flew into Atlanta picked up a full size car. Airfare into larger cities is usually (but not always cheaper due to competition ). After the show I explored downtown then drove to airport and crashed in car return lot until early morning flight.works great if you're only able to get a day off.

Funny...I did the exact same thing. Stopped along the way on the return drive for an hour to sleep.

The Detroit-Moline stretch was tricky. Hit the road right after the Detroit show and stopped along the way to sleep for an hour. Arrived at the arena in Moline about 30 minutes before the tour trucks and crew buses pulled in. Hit the road right after the Moline show for the 10 hour drive home but stopped twice for an hour each time along the way. Not gonna lie, I didn't even remember doing the drive the following day.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Don't marry someone that loves the band just as much as you. Double the cost :lol:
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    100 Pacer said:

camsjam said:

Funny...I did the exact same thing. Stopped along the way on the return drive for an hour to sleep.

The Detroit-Moline stretch was tricky. Hit the road right after the Detroit show and stopped along the way to sleep for an hour. Arrived at the arena in Moline about 30 minutes before the tour trucks and crew buses pulled in. Hit the road right after the Moline show for the 10 hour drive home but stopped twice for an hour each time along the way. Not gonna lie, I didn't even remember doing the drive the following day.
    That s some dedication bud!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    rgambs said:

What is KOA? Sorry for the dumb question.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    red mos said:

rgambs said:

Kampgrounds Of America
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    derbydave said:

red mos said:

rgambs said:

Kampgrounds Of America
    We shoor now how ta spel in this cuntry
    ;)
  • Options
    (I asked what KOA stood for a few years ago and laughed at the answer then as well.)
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited April 2017
    I have a VERY good friend who is kind enough to let me sleep over. (Though I admit that sleep after Lexington was an hour and 15 minutes before I had to get back up again. I did sleep some on the drive back.) They drive. I make a road treat box for them. They make sure that I don't starve. We go group trip, so we sometimes travel with someone else or meet up with people when we get there. We hang out in the merch line for what sounds like a long time, but it flies by when you meeting and talking to all kinds of great people.

It's a great time to spend with my dear friend as I make new friends. And yes, I sometimes travel with treats for those I meet. :smile:
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1