Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    mrussel1 said:
    remember folks, Obama actually attempted to do this very same thing to Fox News, but backed down after outcry from other news orgs. I don't recall much, if any, outrage from liberals/democrats when that happened. 
    You sure about that?  This is a quote from Major Garrett from two weeks ago..

"Now, they never tried to pull my pass, but they had this sort of arms-length relationship to Fox, and tried to demonize it on a daily basis. So that's another part of American history and journalism in the White House press corps I think that at least should be noted at this moment," he said. 

Garrett's comments come amid increased tensions between CNN and the Trump administration. 

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/417100-it-should-be-noted-obama-white-house-demonized-fox-news-on-daily-basis-says-cbs

it wasn't official like pulling a press pass, but there were email leaks that the admin attempted to deliberately omit fox news from the press pool, which the WH at the time said was just a mistake. 

The Obama administration made a deliberate effort to exclude Fox News from a press pool during the height of its war with the network, newly released documents show.

At the time, in the fall of 2009, the administration dismissed the matter as simply a mistake. “There was no plot to exclude Fox News, and they had the same interview that their competitors did. Much ado about absolutely nothing,” the Treasury Department said in a statement. But internal e-mails obtained by the watchdog group Judicial Watch show that the attempted exclusion from an interview with federal pay czar Ken Feinberg was part of a deliberate strategy. The attempt failed when the other networks refused to go along unless Fox was included.

On Oct. 22, 2009, Dag Vega, the White House director of broadcast media, wrote to a Treasury official that “we’d prefer if you skip Fox please.” Deputy White House communications director Jennifer Psaki wrote the official, Jenni LeCompte, and other colleagues about a report by Fox anchor Bret Baier on the network’s exclusion that “brett baier just did a stupid piece on it -- but he is a lunatic.”

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    You said "Obama actually attempted to do this very same thing".  One, I would never take what Judicial Watch says at face value.  They are not a news organization.  But second, this wasn't the WH, taking the source at face value, it was Treasury.  How can you say that "Obama" who is an actual person, attempted to do anything in this scenario.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    You said "Obama actually attempted to do this very same thing".  One, I would never take what Judicial Watch says at face value.  They are not a news organization.  But second, this wasn't the WH, taking the source at face value, it was Treasury.  How can you say that "Obama" who is an actual person, attempted to do anything in this scenario.  
    you are correct. I misspoke. I simply stated "obama" when I meant his admin. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Okay, I wouldn't doubt that members of the O admin would try to avoid Fox reporters, etc.  But it is totally different than this POTUS and his war on CNN.  Obama was a man of principle and integrity, no matter what one thinks of specific policies.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Okay, I wouldn't doubt that members of the O admin would try to avoid Fox reporters, etc.  But it is totally different than this POTUS and his war on CNN.  Obama was a man of principle and integrity, no matter what one thinks of specific policies.  
    I agree, and while he isn't doing anything like Trump with his war on the media, Obama did often make fun of fox news while in office, did he not?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree, and while he isn't doing anything like Trump with his war on the media, Obama did often make fun of fox news while in office, did he not?
    Truth was allowed back then.  Everyone understood it.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    He took some jabs at them for sure.  But it's not even in the same stratosphere, let alone same game as what Trump has been trying to do to de-legitimize the media.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Fox News =/= CNN
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE , who stated this ? or who states this on a regular basis ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    as I stated, no, it's not the same. just pointing it out. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    mrussel1 said:
    remember folks, Obama actually attempted to do this very same thing to Fox News, but backed down after outcry from other news orgs. I don't recall much, if any, outrage from liberals/democrats when that happened. 

"Now, they never tried to pull my pass, but they had this sort of arms-length relationship to Fox, and tried to demonize it on a daily basis. So that's another part of American history and journalism in the White House press corps I think that at least should be noted at this moment," he said. 

Garrett's comments come amid increased tensions between CNN and the Trump administration. 

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/417100-it-should-be-noted-obama-white-house-demonized-fox-news-on-daily-basis-says-cbs

it wasn't official like pulling a press pass, but there were email leaks that the admin attempted to deliberately omit fox news from the press pool, which the WH at the time said was just a mistake. 

The Obama administration made a deliberate effort to exclude Fox News from a press pool during the height of its war with the network, newly released documents show.

At the time, in the fall of 2009, the administration dismissed the matter as simply a mistake. “There was no plot to exclude Fox News, and they had the same interview that their competitors did. Much ado about absolutely nothing,” the Treasury Department said in a statement. But internal e-mails obtained by the watchdog group Judicial Watch show that the attempted exclusion from an interview with federal pay czar Ken Feinberg was part of a deliberate strategy. The attempt failed when the other networks refused to go along unless Fox was included.

On Oct. 22, 2009, Dag Vega, the White House director of broadcast media, wrote to a Treasury official that “we’d prefer if you skip Fox please.” Deputy White House communications director Jennifer Psaki wrote the official, Jenni LeCompte, and other colleagues about a report by Fox anchor Bret Baier on the network’s exclusion that “brett baier just did a stupid piece on it -- but he is a lunatic.”

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    start this at 3:20...

• Options
    or 420 either one.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    mrussel1 said:

yes, I am aware. trump also did an interview with 60 minutes quite recently. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
  • Options
    WOW

• Options
    Will he pretend to button his suit jacket and jut out his chin when he walks out? Will his aides?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    mrussel1 said:

Well, the President this morning said that there needs to be 'decorum' in the White House when asked about the decision about due process in favor of CNN (1st & 5th Amendment decision will not be decided till next week). It should be refreshing to see decorum in all areas of the White House now. I would hope that would preclude the President from calling reporters 'disgusting human beings'. 

Yes, Obama hated Fox News. They were also pushing the conspiracy theory that he was not born in the United States, along with blatant racist references. He was able to withstand that without declaring the entire news organization as the enemy of the people. And neither he nor the press secretaries exhibited hostility towards the press. 

I know you are aware of this and were just pointing out that Fox News has been the bane of Democratic administrations and have been the target of those administrations jabs and the desire to not include them in a gaggle.  (This has happened several times to several news organizations in the current administrations - exclusion from audio only gaggles). 

Interesting to add, Fox News signed on as a friend of the court, siding with CNN/Acosta in the lawsuit. It isn't as much about Acosta or CNN as a White House believing, now or in the future, that they have the ability to stifle and restrict people who challenge them. And Trump calls on Acosta all the time. So this was just a play to the base. It's an important lawsuit to set a precedent for all journalists from all media outlets for not only this administration, but for future administrations also. 

Does anyone remember Sam Donaldson? Now that was a dogged journalist. Never had his press pass pulled. 

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Ha!!
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:

Well, the President this morning said that there needs to be 'decorum' in the White House when asked about the decision about due process in favor of CNN (1st & 5th Amendment decision will not be decided till next week). It should be refreshing to see decorum in all areas of the White House now. I would hope that would preclude the President from calling reporters 'disgusting human beings'. 

Yes, Obama hated Fox News. They were also pushing the conspiracy theory that he was not born in the United States, along with blatant racist references. He was able to withstand that without declaring the entire news organization as the enemy of the people. And neither he nor the press secretaries exhibited hostility towards the press. 

I know you are aware of this and were just pointing out that Fox News has been the bane of Democratic administrations and have been the target of those administrations jabs and the desire to not include them in a gaggle.  (This has happened several times to several news organizations in the current administrations - exclusion from audio only gaggles). 

Interesting to add, Fox News signed on as a friend of the court, siding with CNN/Acosta in the lawsuit. It isn't as much about Acosta or CNN as a White House believing, now or in the future, that they have the ability to stifle and restrict people who challenge them. And Trump calls on Acosta all the time. So this was just a play to the base. It's an important lawsuit to set a precedent for all journalists from all media outlets for not only this administration, but for future administrations also. 

Does anyone remember Sam Donaldson? Now that was a dogged journalist. Never had his press pass pulled. 

there will be no decorum, not while that gasbag is in charge. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    Josef Stalin
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,240
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:

Donaldson, who could forget those eyebrows? Watched a lot of Primetime Live as a kid. Poor Diane Sawyer.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Josef Stalin
    Right, that's exactly who.
  • Options
    Some of his tweets could have been written by the Soviets.

Some are just RACIST

• Options
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Freedom of the press 
    First amendment rights

Another win for the constitution 

Judge orders White House to return Jim Acosta's press pass

Wait, wait, wait, don’t you mean the “cawnsta tooshin”
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Freedom of the press 
    First amendment rights

You can really only say it that way whistling through a big gap between buckteeth with a piece of hay dangling from your lips (thumbs tucked in your overalls).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited November 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    Freedom of the press 
    First amendment rights

You can really only say it that way whistling through a big gap between buckteeth with a piece of hay dangling from your lips (thumbs tucked in your overalls).
    Oh, okay, I must have missed the memo, lol. Nevertheless, however someone pronounces it, it is the exact same document that protects a number of our rights whether or not you agree with them.  

Post edited by PJPOWER on
This discussion has been closed.