Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    I long for the days of a boring president. 

As a former college basketball player and long time coach... I can tell you that  an expression often said is as follows: the best referees officiate the game in such a way that you can't remember who was officiating at the end of the game.

In other words, they did their job so well that they left unnoticed and the game was not impacted by them (the teams fairly decided the outcome). 

A boring president would be a fantastic president.
    I agree with the refs, but not a president. A president shouldn’t be a sideshow but he/she should be an inspiring leader. Can’t be boring, and we need to know there are there all the time. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

As a former college basketball player and long time coach... I can tell you that  an expression often said is as follows: the best referees officiate the game in such a way that you can't remember who was officiating at the end of the game.

In other words, they did their job so well that they left unnoticed and the game was not impacted by them (the teams fairly decided the outcome). 

I agree with the refs, but not a president. A president shouldn’t be a sideshow but he/she should be an inspiring leader. Can’t be boring, and we need to know there are there all the time. 

Semantics.

I was referring more to 'impact'. Strong referees display quiet confidence and they are decisive and proficient. Players and coaches accept their calls because they project proficiency with their stoicism. 

Stoicism is what the US currently lacks and desperately needs. Strong and confident are two words not synonymous with Trump. His leadership traits are exceptionally weak and because this is so... his leadership is as well.  
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Semantics.

I was referring more to 'impact'. Strong referees display quiet confidence and they are decisive and proficient. Players and coaches accept their calls because they project proficiency with their stoicism. 

Stoicism is what the US currently lacks and desperately needs. Strong and confident are two words not synonymous with Trump. His leadership traits are exceptionally weak and because this is so... his leadership is as well.  
    Perhaps semantics. I see your point. But while I didn’t agree with everything he did, Obama was a pretty good president in terms of leadership and enspiring (most of the time) and I would say he wouldn’t meet your definition of what you want.

Either way I understand what you mean and yes it would be refreshing for sure.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Semantics.

Perhaps semantics. I see your point. But while I didn’t agree with everything he did, Obama was a pretty good president in terms of leadership and enspiring (most of the time) and I would say he wouldn’t meet your definition of what you want.

lol

I need to do a better job at writing (seriously). My apologies for not taking the time to accurately detail what I mean the first time around.

Have a good day.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    edited October 2018
    Who is the most "boring" president most of us can remember?  I'd say George Bush the First (also the only one-term president unless you remember Carter).  I guess I'd take some of that "boring" over what is definitely not boring today.  That said, I don't think the president/referee analogy applies.  For better or worse, the POTUS (including this POtuS) is going to be the center of attention and it would be nice to aspire for that office to be a positive, not just a neutral, voice in leadership.  But right now?  Beggars can't be choosers.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

Semantics.

lol

I need to do a better job at writing (seriously). My apologies for not taking the time to accurately detail what I mean the first time around.

Have a good day.
    Me too. I’m failing miserably today. And when the conversation is just 1:1 I can rebound quickly, but gets out a hand when more jump in. I’ll give myself a D, cause my effort is good otherwise a F today! 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Semantics.

lol

Have a good day.
    Me too. I’m failing miserably today. And when the conversation is just 1:1 I can rebound quickly, but gets out a hand when more jump in. I’ll give myself a D, cause my effort is good otherwise a F today! 

F is for Fryday.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    benjs said:
    Honest question.. How do you guys find energy for this world and its bullshit anymore?
    There is plenty good in this world still.  Mostly good on a daily basis.  And I have a daughter who is the smartest, bestest kid ever that I want to be the 3rd Female US president. ;)
    the modern news and politics is nothing short of toxic... turn it off, take a walk, say hello to your neighbor 

They are selling nothing but fear, sensationalism, celebrity worship, partisanship, and a toxic emphasis on negativity
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    my2hands said:
    benjs said:
    Honest question.. How do you guys find energy for this world and its bullshit anymore?
    There is plenty good in this world still.  Mostly good on a daily basis.  And I have a daughter who is the smartest, bestest kid ever that I want to be the 3rd Female US president. ;)
    the modern news and politics is nothing short of toxic... turn it off, take a walk, say hello to your neighbor 

They are selling nothing but fear, sensationalism, celebrity worship, partisanship, and a toxic emphasis on negativity
    Most people can talk a walk and also care about what is going on in the world. Maybe if you put your fingers in your ears and go lalala it helps; I prefer to be a person who cares when other people are abused and killed. Other people can become people you know or you in a heartbeat.

Trump is selling fear and negativity, his objective is to exhaust the country with the barrage of crap that he dumps. That way people will stop paying attention and he can do whatever he wants.  And I think that most people DO care about America becoming a better place and not spiraling into evil and apathy. 

And you continue to say to unplug, but yet here you are. So you are able to walk and chew gum just like me. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

Semantics.

lol

Have a good day.

F is for Fryday.
    Oui oui. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    njnancy said:
    my2hands said:
    benjs said:

Most people can talk a walk and also care about what is going on in the world. Maybe if you put your fingers in your ears and go lalala it helps; I prefer to be a person who cares when other people are abused and killed. Other people can become people you know or you in a heartbeat.

Trump is selling fear and negativity, his objective is to exhaust the country with the barrage of crap that he dumps. That way people will stop paying attention and he can do whatever he wants.  And I think that most people DO care about America becoming a better place and not spiraling into evil and apathy. 

And you continue to say to unplug, but yet here you are. So you are able to walk and chew gum just like me. 
    You make a great point. Among those I know, I am completely in the minority when it comes to paying attention to all the chaos happening on all levels. Trump's shit gets overwhelming as hell, but I disconnect from it when it's family time and focus on what is in front of me and most important. I admit, being informed is depressing AF, but I also look at people living the rat race only caring about themselves and wonder how they can be ok falling in to the complacent routine of the American lifestyle. Life is big, bold and expensive, but I still enjoy it and hope that I can be a part of the change I want to see in the world.

Happy Friday everyone!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

You should have voted for Jeb
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Hahaha this is true.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Here again to drop some revolting news..

The new campaign to help Trump from being a President - smear the dismembered dude - 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/conservatives-mount-a-whisper-campaign-smearing-khashoggi-in-defense-of-trump/2018/10/18/feb92bd0-d306-11e8-b2d2-f397227b43f0_story.html?utm_term=.df3a7b34638f

This is why we can't have nice threads. 

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jason P said:

Over Trump? Every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited October 2018

benjs said:
    What choice do we have? The only other option is to live in blissful ignorance (which I know a LOT of people do)... I don't see that as a viable option personally.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    njnancy said:
    And Trump doesn't care about any of this.
    Neither do most Americans 
    True.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:
    What choice do we have? The only other option is to live in blissful ignorance (which I know a LOT of people do)... I don't see that as a viable option personally.
    Part of being a citizen of a country is to hold the government responsible because they work for us. This has become laughable, exhausting, frustrating, infuriating and often depressing under Trump, I had PTSD prior to Trump becoming President and it causes me unbearable anxiety and depression. Yet, I want America to be a place I want to live in when I someday am as better as I can get. I can easily sink into a catatonic state, without the help of Trump's obscene presidency - he has just been an extra cherry on the top of my condition. 

I refuse to allow any disease or person cause me to give up on wanting to be alive and happy and informed. And both of the above want nothing more than that. So that just pisses me off. 

But it is exhausting and it can be extremely difficult, especially if you are pre-disposed to any anxiety or depression related diseases. Please take care of yourself benjs, you are not the only one who feels like giving up sometimes.  :hug:
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    THIS ELECTION YOU WILL DECIDE WHAT PARTY IS IN CONTROL OF CONGRESS EVEN IF THEY WIN THE HOUSE THERE WILL BE FIGHTING. YOU LOVE ME? YOU LOVE MY HAIR? THANK YOU. [LAUGHTER] SHE KNOWS WHAT TO SAY. SHE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE ME HAPPY. [LAUGHTER] THE ONE THING THAT HAS BEEN REALLY GREAT THIS WHOLE ENDEAVOR THAT HE WEARS A HAIRPIECE. THEY DON'T SEE ME ONE - - SAY THAT ANYMORE THEY HAVE SEEN ME NOT IN PERFECT CONDITIONS I HAVEN'T HEARD THAT IN OVER A YEAR WHEN THE WIND GOES CRAZY LIKE THE OTHER DAY HURRICANE MICHAEL AND THE DEVASTATION OF FLORIDA AND GEORGIA AND ALABAMA GOT HIT HARD THAN A COUPLE WEEKS BEFORE MICHAEL GOT A PIECE OF THEM TO A COUPLE WEEKS BEFORE I WENT TO NORTH CAROLINA AND SOUTH CAROLINA LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED IN A LITTLE PIECE OF VIRGINIA WALK AROUND IN THOSE CONDITIONS YOU CAN FAKE IT. NOBODY EVER SAYS THAT ANYMORE MAY BE ONE OF THE BEST THINGS THAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME IN A LONG TIME. [LAUGHTER] MY WHOLE LIFE IS IT OR ISN'T IT? BARBARA WALTERS DO YOU MIND IF I PLAY WITH YOUR HAIR? DO YOU REMEMBER THAT?
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    what the actual fuck
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

I refuse to allow any disease or person cause me to give up on wanting to be alive and happy and informed.
    So being "informed" lately has made you happy?

My guess is it's the exact opposite... you're not being "informed" by mainstream media on either side, you're being spoonfed bullshit and its toxic... unless porn stars tweeting about Trumps dick is informed 

If a person watches CNN or Foxnews every day, but doesnt know their neighbors name, are they really informed about the world?

Turn off the bullshit, say hi to a stranger, and try to make the world a better place with your own two hands. That's real. That's being the change you wish to see in the world. 

In college I consciously made a decision that i did not want to work for profit or anybody's bottom line, and chose a career path that I knew I would be sacrificing earnings for my lifetime... I chose a career helping at-risk youth in my local community, because I used to be one of them, I made a decision to dedicate my career to helping my community. That is being the change you wish to see.

Deciding to not be distracted by the toxic circus of modern western media/political culture and society is not being uninformed, it's quite the opposite. Also, I choose to come here because I like it, and I like the debate, and frankly there are some smart folks here with great ideas, so I intend to always come here.

Like my boy Lukas Nelson says, turn off the fucking news

Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    Everybody should listen to that...so happy Uncle Neil let him bust it out when I saw them a few weeks ago, followed by Micah Nelsons "Everything is Bullshit"

I was in heaven lol
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Tiki said:
    THIS ELECTION YOU WILL DECIDE WHAT PARTY IS IN CONTROL OF CONGRESS EVEN IF THEY WIN THE HOUSE THERE WILL BE FIGHTING. YOU LOVE ME? YOU LOVE MY HAIR? THANK YOU. [LAUGHTER] SHE KNOWS WHAT TO SAY. SHE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE ME HAPPY. [LAUGHTER] THE ONE THING THAT HAS BEEN REALLY GREAT THIS WHOLE ENDEAVOR THAT HE WEARS A HAIRPIECE. THEY DON'T SEE ME ONE - - SAY THAT ANYMORE THEY HAVE SEEN ME NOT IN PERFECT CONDITIONS I HAVEN'T HEARD THAT IN OVER A YEAR WHEN THE WIND GOES CRAZY LIKE THE OTHER DAY HURRICANE MICHAEL AND THE DEVASTATION OF FLORIDA AND GEORGIA AND ALABAMA GOT HIT HARD THAN A COUPLE WEEKS BEFORE MICHAEL GOT A PIECE OF THEM TO A COUPLE WEEKS BEFORE I WENT TO NORTH CAROLINA AND SOUTH CAROLINA LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED IN A LITTLE PIECE OF VIRGINIA WALK AROUND IN THOSE CONDITIONS YOU CAN FAKE IT. NOBODY EVER SAYS THAT ANYMORE MAY BE ONE OF THE BEST THINGS THAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME IN A LONG TIME. [LAUGHTER] MY WHOLE LIFE IS IT OR ISN'T IT? BARBARA WALTERS DO YOU MIND IF I PLAY WITH YOUR HAIR? DO YOU REMEMBER THAT?
    If this were anyone else, I'd think they were having a stroke. Unfortunately, he isn't. It is just the way his brain randomly fires. What a dotard.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    my2hands said:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

I refuse to allow any disease or person cause me to give up on wanting to be alive and happy and informed.
    So being "informed" lately has made you happy?

My guess is it's the exact opposite... you're not being "informed" by mainstream media on either side, you're being spoonfed bullshit and its toxic... unless porn stars tweeting about Trumps dick is informed 

If a person watches CNN or Foxnews every day, but doesnt know their neighbors name, are they really informed about the world?

Turn off the bullshit, say hi to a stranger, and try to make the world a better place with your own two hands. That's real. That's being the change you wish to see in the world. 

In college I consciously made a decision that i did not want to work for profit or anybody's bottom line, and chose a career path that I knew I would be sacrificing earnings for my lifetime... I chose a career helping at-risk youth in my local community, because I used to be one of them, I made a decision to dedicate my career to helping my community. That is being the change you wish to see.

Deciding to not be distracted by the toxic circus of modern western media/political culture and society is not being uninformed, it's quite the opposite. Also, I choose to come here because I like it, and I like the debate, and frankly there are some smart folks here with great ideas, so I intend to always come here.

Like my boy Lukas Nelson says, turn off the fucking news

I know you're replying to Nancy, but...
    Who said they're watching CNN or FOX everyday? I personally don't even get those channels - I cut that cord a few years ago.
    For me, happiness has little or nothing to do with it anyhow though. I just believe in being informed and engaged. I guess I do derive happiness, or contentment, from being informed and engaged, but that's not my motive.
    I 100% do NOT consider my deep interest in current events a distraction. It is just a part of my life that I'm interested in and am glad I have the opportunity to consider, discuss, ponder, worry about, philosophize about, puzzle over, make decisions about, and learn from. It is simply not at all in my nature whatsoever to "turn off the fucking news" (not to be "spoon fed" anything) That said, I realize that many people don't get what I do out of it. I can see that it just stresses people out too much, or creates too much conflict in their lives, or whatever. If that is the case, I understand that (although I would find them somewhat less interesting conversationalists eventually) .... Right up until they become apathetic or an uninformed voter. At that point I think they start failing society and are ditching their responsibility as a citizen.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Tiki said:
    “Smarter than all my generals.”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Tiki said:
    That’s unreadable in all caps and no paragraphs. And if you actually find it somewhere where the formatting isn’t awful, it’s still unreadable cause it makes no sense. Idiot 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    That's how C-SPAN transcribed it.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?453144-1/president-trump-campaigns-republicans-montana&start=1743

It's also EXACTLY what he said.
This discussion has been closed.