Donald Trump

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    my2hands said:
    When 7 military service personnel die in an accident... or in any way, frankly... I expect the POTUS to give a fucking statement. And not through Twitter like a 15 year old. Period. 
    I gotta agree with the first part...the POTUS needs to get in front of a camera on this.

However, if used appropriately, I could see him sending a twitter message first.  It's just that he can't do that without being a 15 year old.
    hippiemom = goodness
    BS44325 said:
    tbergs said:
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:
    People should read this so they understand why it might be a good idea for there to be silence on the subject at the moment...

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/06/something_is_fishy_about_uss_fitzgerald_story_we_are_getting_from_the_media.html

It could simply be an accident but it could also be something much worse. It is too soon for anybody to be "screaming".

You've officially jumped the shark. Congratulations. A bowl of toxic stew with a side of fries and a malted milk from Al's will be forthcoming.
    Yes. The science is settled on why this apparent accident happened.
    Did you even read the blog post you linked? Is fear all you peddle? Do you see boogeymen everywhere you look?
    Yes I read it. Is it peddling fear to ask questions? Are you afraid of the answers? The likelihood is that this was an accident but is it inconceivable for it to be something else? Do you remember the USS Cole? Do you recognize that we live in a time of asymmetric warfare? Should we just all shut up and blame this on a video?
    I don't think that article peddles fear. It raised a plausible theory, but currently we can't prove or disprove that information. I think the part about Korea using a nuclear strike on the US is out there a bit.

I know the first thing I thought of when I heard about it was that it didn't sound right. How do ships just run in to each other in this day and age of technology? Didn't seem right at all.
    Exactly. That is why the people who are complaining that Trump/GOP didn't overreact appear to just be complaining for the sake of complaining. If he tweeted off the cuff on this subject the same people would claiming that he shoots from the hip. He damns if he tweets and he's damned if he doesn't.
    the reason for this is simple: he doesn't tweet in a presidential fashion. obama tweeted respectfully, and I'm guessing that most other former presidents would have as well. GWB, GB, Clinton, Reagan, you name it. it would have been thought out and with some class. well, maybe not GWB, but at least he would have been smart enough to get an aid to do it for him. 

trump doesn't use twitter as a presidential tool, he uses it as a political tool, which should have stopped when he won. I don't recall obama ever doing that. 
    I should have read this before I commented.  You are spot on.  I like how you put it...it's a political tool for him, I agree.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my2hands said:
    When 7 military service personnel die in an accident... or in any way, frankly... I expect the POTUS to give a fucking statement. And not through Twitter like a 15 year old. Period. 
    I gotta agree with the first part...the POTUS needs to get in front of a camera on this.

However, if used appropriately, I could see him sending a twitter message first.  It's just that he can't do that without being a 15 year old.
    I don't have an issue with the president, any president, utilizing social media for official statements. the way trump uses it though, it's as if twitter is the official information supplier of the white house. it just seems so.....nontraditional. unofficial. however you want to put it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my2hands said:

I don't have an issue with the president, any president, utilizing social media for official statements. the way trump uses it though, it's as if twitter is the official information supplier of the white house. it just seems so.....nontraditional. unofficial. however you want to put it. 
    Times change.  Presidents used to use radio then TV. ;)

So the question I have is, is trump cutting edge with his use of twitter....or am I just seeing his tweets more than Obama because of how stupid they are?

Cause if he is using it more, he is changing the political landscape moving forward.  And it can be a very effective tool.  Now we just need someone who isn't a tool using it as president!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    my2hands said:

So the question I have is, is trump cutting edge with his use of twitter....or am I just seeing his tweets more than Obama because of how stupid they are?

Cause if he is using it more, he is changing the political landscape moving forward.  And it can be a very effective tool.  Now we just need someone who isn't a tool using it as president!!
    How he uses it is unprofessional, unethical, and an extension of his narcissism. I don't see it as cutting edge. 
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Why are they still reporting on this! Why is it still being investigated!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/world/asia/ship-fitzgerald-sailors-investigation.html

Halifax already told us all what happened!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    BS44325 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/world/asia/ship-fitzgerald-sailors-investigation.html

No one said not to investigate. They said not to jump to the most alarmist conclusions. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Latest tweet from President Donald J. Trump...
    The U.S. once again condemns the brutality of the North Korean regime as we mourn its latest victim. While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried!
    BS44325 said:

Furthermore, multiple investigations are typical for this sort of major incident. But you knew that already. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited June 2017
    Latest tweet from President Donald J. Trump...
    The U.S. once again condemns the brutality of the North Korean regime as we mourn its latest victim. While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried!
    China's trade with N Korea increased by over 30% in the first quarter of this year. Trump got played. As usual.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2017
    my2hands said:

How he uses it is unprofessional, unethical, and an extension of his narcissism. I don't see it as cutting edge. 
    Let's cut out the bullshit. The way Trump uses Twitter, in his position, is fucking insane. Literally.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BS44325 said:

Furthermore, multiple investigations are typical for this sort of major incident. But you knew that already. 
    The Commanding Officer of that ship is no doubt going to be released from the military and we will never know the full story of the collision.
    BS44325 said:

The Commanding Officer of that ship is no doubt going to be released from the military and we will never know the full story of the collision.
    From what I understand, release is very likely. Whether "we" ever know the full story depends on who you mean be "we". 
    my2hands said:

I wasn't on twitter in the obama era, but from what I've seen, the only time he used it was to spread an official statement release across all formats. Not just personal stream of consciousness nonsense. 

my hope is that the way he uses it doesn't become the norm. I'm hoping that trump is more of a one-off, atypical president. I can't imagine anyone else in the highest office would want to conduct themselves in such a manner. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

BS44325 said:

No one said not to investigate. They said not to jump to the most alarmist conclusions. 
    Well then we are arguing the same thing. I am not jumping to the most alarmist conclusions. I am suggesting why it makes sense that republicans aren't "screaming" about this as demanded by the AMT. There should be multiple investigations first because the range of possibilities run from simple accident to something worse. It is amazing how often people on here forget the initial points that were made and now it appears that the request for "screaming" has been downgraded to a request for Trump to tweet about the lost.

PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Let's cut out the bullshit. The way Trump uses Twitter, in his position, is fucking insane. Literally.
    It is very much sane. It is essentially how he won the Presidency over the Clinton money machine. I don't like it either but whether politically it currently does him more harm then good is the open question. You were all wrong before...maybe you are wrong again? Maybe? Nah.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

It is very much sane. It is essentially how he won the Presidency over the Clinton money machine. I don't like it either but whether politically it currently does him more harm then good is the open question. You were all wrong before...maybe you are wrong again? Maybe? Nah.
    never.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Does it hurt him? Arguably yes. Does it hurt the country? Absolutely yes 

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

the prevailing commentary from trump supporters is that they still support him and what he's doing, with one big caveat: "I just think he should stop using the twitter". 

tweeting is one of the factors of his win. it wasn't how he essentially won. 

and yes, we were all wrong about trump losing bigly. that doesn't mean everyone is wrong about everything about trump from here to eternity. and when you said "you were all wrong before". were you right? did you predict he would win?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

the prevailing commentary from trump supporters is that they still support him and what he's doing, with one big caveat: "I just think he should stop using the twitter". 

tweeting is one of the factors of his win. it wasn't how he essentially won. 

and yes, we were all wrong about trump losing bigly. that doesn't mean everyone is wrong about everything about trump from here to eternity. and when you said "you were all wrong before". were you right? did you predict he would win?
    I agree with you in terms of twitter. In terms of prediction I hedged at the last minute. Thought his strategy was working and that he could win the whole time (which I wrote about frequently) but on last day I didn't believe he could flip historically blue Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan. I should have trusted my instincts.
    edited June 2017

Remember all those Ford jobs Trump said he saved from going to Mexico? Story out today says they are now going to China.

Trump is a chump. In way over his head.

chinese-happy.jpg
    my2hands said:

I wasn't on twitter in the obama era, but from what I've seen, the only time he used it was to spread an official statement release across all formats. Not just personal stream of consciousness nonsense. 

my hope is that the way he uses it doesn't become the norm. I'm hoping that trump is more of a one-off, atypical president. I can't imagine anyone else in the highest office would want to conduct themselves in such a manner. 
    You are only seeing how this idiot uses twitter.  I do think it can be used as a great tool by a president.  It is a way to connect to the people....and not get any questions you have to answer.  So I think the tool is great, just not the current user.

hippiemom = goodness
    my2hands said:

You are only seeing how this idiot uses twitter.  I do think it can be used as a great tool by a president.  It is a way to connect to the people....and not get any questions you have to answer.  So I think the tool is great, just not the current user.

yes, that's actually what I meant. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Six members of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS resigned last week, owing to "a president who simply does not care," one member wrote in a Newsweek op-ed on Friday headlined "Trump doesn't care about HIV. We're outta here."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/health/trump-hiv-advisers-resigned/index.html

chinese-happy.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2017
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

I think it's beyond obvious that it hurts him currently, and hurts the nation overall. Can you offer any concrete arguments for how it helps him personally or anyone else? As for sanity... even White House insiders are leaking that he's going batshit crazy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    BS44325 said:

The idiotic blog post that you linked would have us believe the most alarming of all the possibilities. Twitter is beneath the dignity of the office of the President. Unless you're Trump and only want to communicate with the smallest of audiences, the majority of which are your supporters. I'm not as foolish to assume that the incident wouldn't be investigated but did you see me post immediately that it was just an accident? Unlike you who wanted to immediately link it to some nefarious attack against the US Navy by North Korea or ISIS, or whatever dumb conclusion the American Thinker blog post was making with unverified facts. Nice way to stir that stew of toxic discourse you so rail against all whilst telling the rest of us "to be quiet" on the matter. And you claim you're always right? Hey, North Korea invade anyone lately, like in the last sixteen years or so? Trump tweeting his sympathy makes it as meaningful as all of his other meaningless tweets. But hey, when you've had a mayor like Rob Ford, I guess that's a step up? 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    BS44325 said:

The idiotic blog post that you linked would have us believe the most alarming of all the possibilities. Twitter is beneath the dignity of the office of the President. Unless you're Trump and only want to communicate with the smallest of audiences, the majority of which are your supporters. I'm not as foolish to assume that the incident wouldn't be investigated but did you see me post immediately that it was just an accident? Unlike you who wanted to immediately link it to some nefarious attack against the US Navy by North Korea or ISIS, or whatever dumb conclusion the American Thinker blog post was making with unverified facts. Nice way to stir that stew of toxic discourse you so rail against all whilst telling the rest of us "to be quiet" on the matter. And you claim you're always right? Hey, North Korea invade anyone lately, like in the last sixteen years or so? Trump tweeting his sympathy makes it as meaningful as all of his other meaningless tweets. But hey, when you've had a mayor like Rob Ford, I guess that's a step up? 
    at least Rob Ford was entertaining. 

"I have plenty to eat at home" was the quote of the century. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited June 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

I think it's beyond obvious that it hurts him currently, and hurts the nation overall. Can you offer any concrete arguments for how it helps him personally or anyone else? As for sanity... even White House insiders are leaking that he's going batshit crazy.

No he cannot. All he will say was he won the election (despite 3 million more people voting against him) yada yada yada.

His tweets makes him and as a result, our country look like an irrational idiot. I love how they've been cited by the courts as reasons for blocking his travel ban. I'm sure they will come back to haunt him in some way with the investigations as well.

I can't believe the president of this country is so dumb.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    Latest tweet from President Donald J. Trump...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/politics/trump-china-north-korea/index.html

"While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried," Trump wrote.
      The tweet, which came hours before the United States and China were set to meet in Washington to talk about North Korea, caught multiple Trump administration officials off guard, leaving them scrambling as they tried to figure out what exactly what the President meant.
      One Trump administration official said bluntly they didn't know what Trump was referencing when asked what the tweet meant.
      Read More
      Another cautioned against reading too much into the message, arguing that there was no meeting earlier in the day that could have spurred the comment or that that tweet foretold some sort of unilateral action against North Korea.

What a complete and utter disaster of a president. I'm sure BS can tell us exactly what he meant though.
      09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
      BS44325 said:

my2hands said:
      A statement was given through Spicer and the Navy

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/japan-investigates-delay-reporting-us-navy-ship-collision-48127236

"White House press secretary Sean Spicer said President Donald Trump and the entire administration was sending their thoughts and prayers to the sailors' families. The incident was a "sobering reminder of the dangers" faced by the men and women of the U.S. military every day, Spicer said.

In a statement, acting Navy Secretary Sean Stackley said, "We are all deeply saddened by the tragic loss of our fellow shipmates. ... As details emerge, we can all be proud of the heroic effort by the crew to tend to the needs of those injured and save the ship from further damage while returning safely to port."

He thanked "our Japanese allies" for their swift assistance, and said the Navy will fully investigate the cause."

They are also investigating time discrepancies in the reporting of the collision. But maybe they should just shut up and not investigate.

What a joke... the guy spent more time commenting on Arnold Schwarzenegger's TV ratings...

How many deferments did faux tough guy Donnie take during Vietnam? 

Wait, let me guess, it's Obamas fault? lol
    This discussion has been closed.