Options

Best Album All Time

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    DJ253147 said:

Hard to fathom that 1or both of Physical Graffiti or Quadrophenia wouldn't be top 10. I'll remind myself as I often do that music is a subjective thing. And thanks for the link to that site.

I'm actually very surprised that both of these have been given the love they have in this thread. They are both kind of the Backspacer of these bands, great records for sure, but not nearly the powerhouses that had come before.

You can't put Physical Graffiti ahead of ZepIV, and you can't put Quadrophenia ahead of Who's Next. On a "favorite" list, sure have at it, but not on a "best" list. That is just not being objective enough.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    edited April 2017
    rgambs said:

DJ253147 said:

Hard to fathom that 1or both of Physical Graffiti or Quadrophenia wouldn't be top 10. I'll remind myself as I often do that music is a subjective thing. And thanks for the link to that site.

I'm actually very surprised that both of these have been given the love they have in this thread. They are both kind of the Backspacer of these bands, great records for sure, but not nearly the powerhouses that had come before.

You can't put Physical Graffiti ahead of ZepIV, and you can't put Quadrophenia ahead of Who's Next. On a "favorite" list, sure have at it, but not on a "best" list. That is just not being objective enough.
    I think the issue is what is meant here by "best". I think some (me included) consider best as inclusive with favorite. I guess technically Jimi's "Axis" is not his best, but to me it is. I'm never surprised to see someone say "such-and-such is my favorite (or best) album". It's all subjective to one's ears, brain and personal experience. If one album that is technically lesser than another, it can still have an overall "best" quality to a particular listener and therefor I am very hesitant to be judgemental of anyone's choice.

Edit: Going back to the beginning here I see that the OP wrote: "I'm looking for examples of YOUR favorite album".
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Third Eye Blind's debut Third Eye Blind is pretty good from front to back...
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Ziggy Stardust on that website at number seven is solid.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Tiki said:

Third Eye Blind's debut Third Eye Blind is pretty good from front to back...

Probably not a popular sentiment around here, but I agree. Maybe not up there with the greats, but some of the post-grunge stuff was legitimately good. MB20, goo goo dolls, bush, don't hate lol
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    brianlux said:

rgambs said:

DJ253147 said:

I think the issue is what is meant here by "best". I think some (me included) consider best as inclusive with favorite. I guess technically Jimi's "Axis" is not his best, but to me it is. I'm never surprised to see someone say "such-and-such is my favorite (or best) album". It's all subjective to one's ears, brain and personal experience. If one album that is technically lesser than another, it can still have an overall "best" quality to a particular listener and therefor I am very hesitant to be judgemental of anyone's choice.

Edit: Going back to the beginning here I see that the OP wrote: "I'm looking for examples of YOUR favorite album".
    I see them as distinct categories, but I guess it's a fine line.
    And yeah, the thread title is a bit at odds with the following comments.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

rgambs said:

DJ253147 said:

I see them as distinct categories, but I guess it's a fine line.
    And yeah, the thread title is a bit at odds with the following comments.
    Agreed. Both of course are relative to the listener and "best" is subject to endless debate stringing to the far edges of the know universe.

Perhaps the OP would consider revising the thread title to "Your favorite album of all time" or create two threads, one for best and one for favorite (the latter, I would find more interesting).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    rgambs said:

Harvest- Neil Young. A fucking masterpiece.
    Vs- Pearl Jam. A fucking masterpiece that would supplant Harvest if Glorified G had been swapped with Wash, Alone, Brother, Yellow Ledbetter, pretty much any of the songs they had in the hole.
    Blind Melon- Eponymous

In my opinion, if you swapped Rats with Hold On, I think Vs. would be a masterpiece. I like Rats, but I like Hold On way more.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    mschostok said:

rgambs said:

Harvest- Neil Young. A fucking masterpiece.
    Vs- Pearl Jam. A fucking masterpiece that would supplant Harvest if Glorified G had been swapped with Wash, Alone, Brother, Yellow Ledbetter, pretty much any of the songs they had in the hole.
    Blind Melon- Eponymous

In my opinion, if you swapped Rats with Hold On, I think Vs. would be a masterpiece. I like Rats, but I like Hold On way more.
    It would be THE masterpiece if it was Glorified G out and Hold On in.
    GG is ok, but it doesn't fit on the album, the feeling doesn't match up.
  • Options
    ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    rummy said:

I always find this site a fun/interesting diversion: https://www.besteveralbums.com/topratedstats.php?o=album
    Beware: You'll get hooked and on it for a good chunk of time. At least it has some stats to back up its rankings, however.

Ah
    They put Dark Side of the Moon at #1.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    absolutely a ridiculous question
  • Options
    foodboy said:

Never heard of that one?

No, really though, good input foodboy!
    Your contribution is admirable!
  • Options
    ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    rgambs said:

foodboy said:

Never heard of that one?

No, really though, good input foodboy!
    Your contribution is admirable!
    I wish we had a "like" button.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    it is way too subjective. like what is the best painting ever
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    PJ - Ten
    Tool - Lateralus
    QOTSA - Like Clockwork
  • Options
    Loyola20Loyola20 Illinois Posts: 93
    The Mothers of Invention

Freak Out

Album that started it all for me .....
    1991: Chicago
    2014: Memphis, Moline, Milwaukee
    2015: Vedder/Townshend celebrating the Who Rosemont Theatre
    2016: Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Lexington, Wrigley 8/20 Wrigley 8/22
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    PEARL JAM -TEN
    PEARL JAM -V's
    PEARL JAM -YIELD
    PINK FLOYD -WISH YOU WERE HERE
    PINK FLOYD -DARKSIDE OF THE MOON
    PINK FLOYD -THE WALL
    BAD COMPANY -BAD CO
    GUNS N ROSES -APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION
    U.F.O -STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT
    VANHALAN -VANHALAN
    FLEETWOOD MAC-RUMOURS
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rummy said:

I always find this site a fun/interesting diversion: https://www.besteveralbums.com/topratedstats.php?o=album
    Beware: You'll get hooked and on it for a good chunk of time. At least it has some stats to back up its rankings, however.

That list is garbage... Radiohead has 3 of the Top 11 albums of all time, all ranked ahead of Bob Dylan's first entry???
  • Options
    rummy said:

This list is semi-problematic.

121 Beggars Banquet
    122 Quadrophenia
    125 All Things Must Pass
    127 Bridge Over Troubled Water
    128 Rust Never Sleeps

I remember "alternative" rock stations playing the "top 10" songs of the week. How do you quantify alternative-ness? My first guess wouldn't be a popularity contest.

Robert Plant The Principle of Moments
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,918
    So many over the years. These are some that come to mind. Each one for a while (some longer than others) I couldn't stop listening to. I wouldn't argue that any of them is the greatest album of all time but for a time each one was my #1.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Counting Crows - August And Everything After
    Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
    Aerosmith - Pump
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Pearl Jam - Vs.
    Alice in Chains - Jar Of Flies
    R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
    The Eagles - Hotel California
    Eric Clapton - Unplugged

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,531
    I think all my favs have been said:

U2 - Achtung, Baby!
    The Verve - Urban Hymns
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    DMB - Crash
    Counting Crows - August and Everything After

And then the best:
    Floyd, Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Who all have top 5 of all time records.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,459
    I got one for ya! Beach Boys Pet Sounds. Look it up!
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    my2hands said:

rummy said:

That list is garbage... Radiohead has 3 of the Top 11 albums of all time, all ranked ahead of Bob Dylan's first entry???
    I think the rankings are based on various "best of" list that have been published over the years. I could be wrong but I think there's a lot of British influence on it. Also, I think the ordering of the albums should be like this: https://www.besteveralbums.com/overall.php?rank=1#227
    This might not make you feel better, however, as it now puts OK Computer at #1 (now ahead of Dark Side of The Moon).
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:

I got one for ya! Beach Boys Pet Sounds. Look it up!

An excellent choice! "Pet Sounds" deserves a ton of recognition. One of the greatest ever.

• Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    edited April 2017
    Beastie Boys: Ill Communication
    Pearl Jam: Yield
    Post edited by jp307677 on
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Mad Season - Above
    PJ - Ten and Vs
    Tupac - All Eyez On Me
    The Beatles - Let It Be... Naked (not many songs come close to Dont Let Me Down imo)

These come to mind the quickest. Im sure there are other contenders that I am just not thinking of currently.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    Just one is gonna be Master Of Puppets for me
  • Options
    Aerosmith Rocks
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    foodboy said:

it is way too subjective. like what is the best painting ever

I was going on the "what would you take to a deserted island" criteria that the OP mentioned.
  • Options
    Magnolia Electric Co - Songs: Ohia
    Come Feel Me Tremble - Paul Westerberg
    Ocean Beach - Red House Painters