Options

Best Album All Time

Comments

• Options
    ScreamHello_33ScreamHello_33 Orlando, FL Posts: 57
    Tom Waits - Closing Time (#1 Ever For Me)
    Elvis Costello - Get Happy
    R.E.M. - Murmur/Reckoning/Lifes Rich Pageant
    Joe Jackson - I'm The Man
    The Replacements - Pleased To Meet Me
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    It is amazing some of these albums I cannot even name one song off of yet they can be considered masterpieces by several of you.

Let this thread be a tribute to the album and not the song!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    FrankY59 said:

It is amazing some of these albums I cannot even name one song off of yet they can be considered masterpieces by several of you.

No doubt, there are some goofy albums being listed, the question is best, not favorite. Yes, it's still highly subjective, but some of these are bands that nobody has heard of and if they were really greatest all time worthy, they would at least be heard of.
    Kyuss?
    Pony Express Record?
    Neutral Milk Hotel?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Toadies - Rubberneck
    QOTSA - Lullabies to Paralyze
    PJ - Yield
    Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
    Soundgarden - Down on the Upside
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    rgambs said:

FrankY59 said:

No doubt, there are some goofy albums being listed, the question is best, not favorite. Yes, it's still highly subjective, but some of these are bands that nobody has heard of and if they were really greatest all time worthy, they would at least be heard of.
    Kyuss?
    Pony Express Record?
    Neutral Milk Hotel?
    I dig all three of the aforementioned bands/albums.
    I guess "best" is subjective. I can tell you that these 3 have influenced a whole generation of newer bands. someone has heard of them.
    In this case it was mostly musicians I am betting.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    London Calling (not even my favorite Clash album, but musically it's just perfect for straight through listening - so diverse and quintessentially Clash)
    Before these Crowded Streets by Dave Matthews Band
    Ten (see London Calling comments - not my favorite PJ album, but is arguably the best record ever)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

FrankY59 said:

Kyuss?
    Pony Express Record?
    Neutral Milk Hotel?
    I guess "best" is subjective. I can tell you that these 3 have influenced a whole generation of newer bands. someone has heard of them.
    I am not disparaging them, just saying it's hard to imagine them as having best ever albums when they are largely unknown.
    I listen to a wide variety of Sirius XM stations and I have never heard any of these bands.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

FrankY59 said:

Kyuss?
    Pony Express Record?
    Neutral Milk Hotel?
    I am not disparaging them, just saying it's hard to imagine them as having best ever albums when they are largely unknown.
    I listen to a wide variety of Sirius XM stations and I have never heard any of these bands.
    you should check them out. You've got good taste in music. I can almost guarantee that you will like at least one of them.
    all very different genres and all very influential in their own.
    I am sure you have heard of Queens of the Stone Age... Kyuss was Josh Homme's band before Queens.

Shudder to Think is some of the most challenging listening but once you "get it" you will be amazed.
    Craig Wedren does soundtrack work now so you have probably heard some of his songs in movies like "School of Rock" or "Wet Hot American Summer".

Neutral Milk Hotel album is a masterpiece. I can say that straight up. Jeff Mangum just disappeared off the face of the earth in 1998 right after it was released. never got the promotion that it deserved until a few years ago. it is def a cult album that has staying power. I bet more millennials are familiar with it that people from my generation.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

FrankY59 said:

Kyuss?
    Pony Express Record?
    Neutral Milk Hotel?
    you should check them out. You've got good taste in music. I can almost guarantee that you will like at least one of them.
    I am sure you have heard of Queens of the Stone Age... Kyuss was Josh Homme's band before Queens.

Shudder to Think is some of the most challenging listening but once you "get it" you will be amazed.
    Craig Wedren does soundtrack work now so you have probably heard some of his songs in movies like "School of Rock" or "Wet Hot American Summer".

Neutral Milk Hotel album is a masterpiece. I can say that straight up. Jeff Mangum just disappeared off the face of the earth in 1998 right after it was released. never got the promotion that it deserved until a few years ago. it is def a cult album that has staying power. I bet more millennials are familiar with it that people from my generation.
    I will definitely have to look into them! I dunno about Shudder to Think though...The last amazing album I heard that was challenging to listen to was Lazaretto, and I thought it was terrible lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:

lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

FrankY59 said:

Kyuss?
    Pony Express Record?
    Neutral Milk Hotel?

I will definitely have to look into them! I dunno about Shudder to Think though...The last amazing album I heard that was challenging to listen to was Lazaretto, and I thought it was terrible lol
    :lol:
    yeah, Lazaretto was pretty bad.
    Shudder is just odd meters, time signatures, etc.
    pretty much came out of the Fugazi school but much more "pop" I guess is the word. hard to explain. they were on Dischord but were unique.
    if you like Sunny Day Real Estate, they were heavily influenced by STT.
    my friend @dankind would call them hipster music. :lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    physical graffitti led zep is my fav album of all time
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Yield. Album I've listened to well over a thousand times. It never gets old!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    LZ I, LZ II?
    BS, Paranoid
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

FrankY59 said:

Kyuss?
    Pony Express Record?
    Neutral Milk Hotel?

:lol:
    yeah, Lazaretto was pretty bad.
    Shudder is just odd meters, time signatures, etc.
    pretty much came out of the Fugazi school but much more "pop" I guess is the word. hard to explain. they were on Dischord but were unique.
    if you like Sunny Day Real Estate, they were heavily influenced by STT.
    my friend @dankind would call them hipster music. :lol:
    OK if you didn't like Lazaretto either, I will definitely have to look into it! And yeah, Sunny Day Real Estate kicks ass...When I was younger I always used to get them confused with Silver hair for some reason.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    mrpink90 said:

physical graffitti led zep is my fav album of all time

Obviously a great album but I sometimes enjoy playing it with just eight tracks that were recorded during those sessions:
    Custard Pie
    In My Time of Dying
    Trampled Underfoot
    Kashmir
    In The Light
    Ten Years Gone
    The Wanton Song
    Sick Again
    They would have released it this way but it was still too long for a single album!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,574
    It Still Moves - My Morning Jacket
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Cheap Trick at Budokan
    Pete Townshend Empty Glass
    Public Enemy Fear Of A Black Planet
    Nine Inch Nails The Fragile
    Eric Clapton Unplugged
    Nirvana Unplugged
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Damn the Torpedoes
    Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti and III
    Ice Cube AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
    Van Halen Van Halen
    PJ Binaural and vs
    The Beatles Revolver
    Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers, Love You Live, and Tattoo You
    Prince Purple Rain
    The Who Who's Next and Who Are You

outside looking in
    Kanye West Late Registration
    Grateful Dead Europe '72
    Aerosmith Live Bootleg!
    The Police Outlandos d'Amour, Reggatta de Blanc
    Boogie Down Productions By All Means Necessary

...yeah this is effing impossible.

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Sting Ten Summoner's Tales and ...Nothing Like the Sun
    Talking Heads More Songs about Buildings and Food
    Stone Temple Pilots Tiny Music...Songs From the Vatican Gift Shop
    and
    Duran Duran's Rio...
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

lolobugg said:

rgambs said:

FrankY59 said:

Kyuss?
    Pony Express Record?
    Neutral Milk Hotel?

Yes. All three of these are amazing records. The guitar work in KYUSS is top notch. Been a fan since the beginning and always been a favorite of mine. Shudder and Neutral are also high up on my list. Both phenomenal records
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    edited March 2017
    Allman Brothers "Eat A Peach"
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Pink Floyd "The Wall"
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited March 2017
    Yeah I don't know what's going on with this thread but people can't follow directions I guess.

Name 1 album. That's it. Yes it's hard and we all want to write our top 5 or 10 but the directions say 1, 2 or 3 max. So stop making lists, it's a lot harder when you play by the rules.
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Dark Side of the Moon
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    SK20613SK20613 Apex, NC Posts: 103
    If only 1, it's Ten, every time.
  • Options
    The Wall
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Who's Next
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410

Yeah I don't know what's going on with this thread but people can't follow directions I guess.

Name 1 album. That's it. Yes it's hard and we all want to write our top 5 or 10 but the directions say 1, 2 or 3 max. So stop making lists, it's a lot harder when you play by the rules.

lol ... love the edit ,
    shoulda just deleted the whole thing ....
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,931
    in no particular order....here's the first 3 that come to mind.
    Nirvana: Nevermind
    Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
    The Doors: The Doors
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options

Your Mom's- Next

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Just wanted to say that I love Kyuss haha
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

Your Mom's- Next
    word