WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    Off He Goes
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I just realized have no freaking idea what song will win Binaural! Might be a blind spot for me. And I thought Vitalogy was hard!

No one can seriously compare vitalogy to binaural.
    :lol:
    No
    You know it bud!
    Exactly. Binaural is a masterpiece for those with revered musical interests. Beautiful album and best B side of any PJ album and #1 closer. Release was lucky to win Ten, but Parting Ways is perfection.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Sometimes
    mcgruff10 said:

Not sure what you're getting at there, but I didn't compare the two. I did express that it was difficult to vote on, and that I think Binaural will be too.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    Smile
    tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I just realized have no freaking idea what song will win Binaural! Might be a blind spot for me. And I thought Vitalogy was hard!

:lol:
    No
    You know it bud!
    Exactly. Binaural is a masterpiece for those with revered musical interests. Beautiful album and best B side of any PJ album and #1 closer. Release was lucky to win Ten, but Parting Ways is perfection.
    Revered musical interests? Yeah keep thinking that lol. Best b side? Please stop.
    Comparing vitalogy (bigger than No code/yield by far) to binaural is again laughable. I absolutely love parting ways but there s a huge reason there were many Million less sales With binaural.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Smile
    Smile is now eligible for elimination (more than 10 votes).
  • Options
    Smile

rummy said:

From now on, every vote will be tough, well except for Smile, I never really got it

It's the harmonica, isn't it?
    haha, maybe, but only on this song, because I absolutely love Footsteps
    Well, there is a version​ that omits it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Smile

Other side note: I just realized have no freaking idea what song will win Binaural! Might be a blind spot for me. And I thought Vitalogy was hard!

I haven't the slightest idea which songs will win each of the last five albums. I think most of your picks have a chance (not too sure about Thin Air) but you could name five or six songs from any of those album and I could be convinced they could/should win.

I gotta add that I haven't been overly shocked by the results so far in this series (aside from first round exits by Jeremy and Dissident).
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    Sometimes
    I am voting for OHG next round unless it doesn't survive this one.
    It is a great song but it is hard to block out that it is a love song written about Uncle Neil.
    If only this song had no face or name....
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Smile

It is a great song but it is hard to block out that it is a love song written about Uncle Neil.

I thought the song was about Ed himself??? Sort of a self portrait.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Sometimes
    rummy said:

That's what I thought as well.
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Sometimes

rummy said:

From now on, every vote will be tough, well except for Smile, I never really got it

It's the harmonica, isn't it?
    haha, maybe, but only on this song, because I absolutely love Footsteps
    I think the harmonica totally works...
    He plays how he feels. Perfectly fits the mood of the song.
    And I love the artistic connection to Neil Young.
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    edited March 2017
    Sometimes
    bbiggs said:

rummy said:

That's what I thought as well.
    Agree. Thought he said it in a show.

Definitely has a little Neil in it though. I always think of Unknown Legend. Feels like some parallels there.
    Post edited by Jbarker on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    Red Mosquito
    I love all the remaining songs. I am not really sure about this pick but had to choose something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    Smile
    Easy again..Sometimes its great song and great opener..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    Who You Are
    Toss up between Smile and this one. Was one of the top songs when the album came out, but Who You Are has gotten a little boring for me over the years so I had to go with that. Still like it, just a little too simple to make it to the next round.
  • Options
    Smile
    PJ_Soul said:

I love all the remaining songs. I am not really sure about this pick but had to choose something.

Allie I'm shocked you picked red mosquito!
  • Options
    Smile
    mace1229 said:

Toss up between Smile and this one. Was one of the top songs when the album came out, but Who You Are has gotten a little boring for me over the years so I had to go with that. Still like it, just a little too simple to make it to the next round.

We could also (re)start the debate whether or not it was a good choice to be a lead single...
  • Options
    Smile
    rummy said:

mace1229 said:

We could also (re)start the debate whether or not it was a good choice to be a lead single...
    I think it was good for their survival as a band but a terrible choice with respect to sales. Hail hail would have been a great first single imho.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Red Mosquito
    Thanks Ben Harper
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Smile

Thanks Ben Harper

Buck, You don't like ben on this song?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwZ-Lh5thzY
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    tunodamaitunodamai Posts: 74
    Red Mosquito
    Very hard to choose at this point. I live all the songs on the list that are still remaining. It was a toss up between this one and Sometimes.
    It makes much more sense to live......in the present tense.
  • Options
    tunodamaitunodamai Posts: 74
    Red Mosquito
    That should have said love.
    It makes much more sense to live......in the present tense.
  • Options
    Who You Are
    rummy said:

mace1229 said:

Almost as good as their decision for NAIS as the first single a few years later.
    What do you mean good for the survival of the band?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Smile
    mace1229 said:

rummy said:

mace1229 said:

Almost as good as their decision for NAIS as the first single a few years later.
    This question isn't directed to me (I hope it's okay that I throw in my two cents) but I guess it has to do with them using a song that might separate them from the "untrue" fans and allow them to step away from the spotlight. Hey, "Who You Are" definitely threw me for a loop and it wasn't until I heard songs like "Hail, Hail" and "In My Tree" that I was back on board.

I agree that "Hail Hail" would have been the best straight forward, rock single to start things off but even if they wanted something different initially, "In My Tree" would have been a better choice than "Who You Are" (in my opinion, of course).

As for the third single, I always thought "Off He Goes" was a peculiar choice. It's a beautiful song, no doubt, but I don't think I once heard it on the radio. "Present Tense" would have been an interesting alternative choice...I think it might have been a pretty big hit, in fact. However, I guess that's what the band didn't want????? However (again), if they really wanted to pull away from the spotlight maybe they should have avoided releasing singles altogether.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    Who You Are
    The idea of singles seems pointless anyway. I hear as many or more songs that were never singles being played on the radio. And in today's world more pointless than ever, since you can just buy songs a la mode via itunes, why do they still even have singles?
    I remember Ed saying he wanted to challenge his fans by releasing NAIS as the first single. I didn't get that then, I'm not going to like a song more or less because it was an official single, or judge an album by the singles released and ignore the other tracks.
  • Options
    Smile
    Songs like Black, RVM, Better Man, and Corduroy were never singles and I recall hearing them A LOT on the radio back in the day.
  • Options
    Smile
    mace1229 said:

rummy said:

mace1229 said:

They needed to lose some fans to survive. Vitalogy was the band at the height of their popularity. It was such a stressful time that jeff left the no code recording sessions. Leading with who you are turned off a heck of a lot of people but saved the band.
  • Options
    Who You Are
    Exactly. Corduroy and BM are the only 2 songs that I still hear on the radio from that album.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Smile
    mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:

rummy said:

mace1229 said:

They needed to lose some fans to survive. Vitalogy was the band at the height of their popularity. It was such a stressful time that jeff left the no code recording sessions. Leading with who you are turned off a heck of a lot of people but saved the band.
    They deliberately sabotaged themselves (edit: from being part of the mainstream).
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    Smile
    Still over a day to go but it's interesting that THREE songs are currently tied for third place (and all over 10 votes). It'd be crazy if a total of five songs got eliminated this round.
This discussion has been closed.