Is Pearl Jam the GOAT?

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited March 2017
    PJ is not the GOAT but definitely in the Top Ten. Their big drawback to me is they really didn't influence anyone significantly, and if they did it was bands like Creed. I think it would be hard to argue any band is the GOAT outside of Zep, Beatles, Stones. U2 definitely up there too, and Bruce/EStreet.

Now that I think about it, Bruce with the E Street band could be GOAT.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Nope
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I'm surprised Pink Floyd haven't come up yet in this conversation (though I acknowledge they can be an acquired taste, lol).

For my 2 cents, I think the only acts that will still be listened to widely in 100 years will be The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix (since music will still be catching up to him, lol). I know that's expanding on the original premise, sorry.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    I think Pearl Jam deserves to be in the GOAT conversation for sure. Their run of albums from 1991-1994 can certainly stand up to anything the GOATs have ever done:

PJ: Ten, Vs., Vitalogy (could even cheat and say Temple of the Dog self-titled too)
    U2: Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, Achtung Baby
    Beatles: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers
    Zep: I, II, III...IV (take your pick)
    Stones: Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers
    Pink Floyd: Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here

I'm just glad we have all this great music to listen to forever. But I'm also proud that "my band" (Pearl Jam), that I listened to growing up when I was 18-21 has reached the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame next week! Rock on!!!!
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345

I'm surprised Pink Floyd haven't come up yet in this conversation (though I acknowledge they can be an acquired taste, lol).

For my 2 cents, I think the only acts that will still be listened to widely in 100 years will be The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix (since music will still be catching up to him, lol). I know that's expanding on the original premise, sorry.

If Pink Floyd gets mentioned, does PJ contemporary Radiohead also get thrown into the mix?
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    rummy said:

If Pink Floyd gets mentioned, does PJ contemporary Radiohead also get thrown into the mix?
    I don't see why not, lol.

Another thing that occurred to me that we're not acknowledging is how the music scene well and truly fractured in the 90s with countless sub genres, which I think makes determining a "modern" GOAT increasingly difficult.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mace1229 said:

Nami said:

Zod said:

Nami said:

Zeppelin is the GOAT hands down.

I would accept Zeppelin or the The Beatles. I'm always impressed by how many quality albums The Beatles bumped out especially in the latter half of their career where they shunned playing live and focused on albums only.

Zeppelin kind of had both though. Wicked awesome albums (alot of them) and the toured a lot longer than The Beatles did. Except for Coda it's a pretty awesome career :)
    never been one for the beatles.... but respect them for what they have done for R&R.
    Same. Well, I like a couple songs.
    Probably going to get banned for just saying this, but that is how I feel about The Beatles and Zeppelin. Not that either are bad, but one or the other ends up #1 on almost any "Best Of" list. I prefer The Who over either of those.
    I'm with ya mace! I could never really get into the Beatles or Zeppelin. And I'm finally coming around to the Stones. But I'd still take The Who in a landslide.
  • Mike's SideMike's Side Posts: 954
    Absolutely
    They are the Tom Brady of bands.
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica
    2013 - Wrigley,Brooklyn 1&2,Seattle
    2014 - Denver,Mountain View 1&2
    2015 - Bogata, Mexico City
    2016 - Ft Lauderdale,Miami,Tampa,NYC 1&2,Telluride,Fenway 1&2,Wrigley 1&2

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

They are the Tom Brady of bands.

How did Pearl Jam cheat?
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    ski-bum said:

Let's be realistic.
    As much as I love the band,
    I'd have to say NO.

This. Not even close.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Absolutely

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Not even close. Are they even in the top ten?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Pearl Jam's career isn't over. There is (fingers crossed) still music to come. They cannot be properly judged in a historic context yet. A few other bands that have been mentioned are still touring, but most with a clear claim to this title are virtually or entirely done recording. If we are truly interested in the answer we need to revisit a few (or many, hopefully) years from now.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    greatest of all time. of course! but only on a pearl jam message board....
    in real life...ummm nope.
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Unquestionably
    Just have to say that all of these arguments against them as the GOAT have been strictly about context. Very few have brought up the pure musicianship of a band like LZ, and to me that's the only thing that matters. How good is the music? How deep is the catalog?

It's impossible to compare PJ to these older bands. There will NEVER be another British Invasion. And the lineage of bands who were directly inspired by that expired a long time ago. So, to compare a modern band to the Beatles and Stones just doesn't work. Same for LZ, Floyd, The Who, Queen or anybody else you want to bring up. Pearl Jam has existed in a different world. Music was consumed in an entirely different way when they hit the scene, and it's even more different now. The fact that we even discuss them with the greatest bands of past eras is proof of their all-time greatness.

There are certainly ways to compare bands, but let's stop with the legacy, influence, popularity argument. Things are just too different now.
    edited March 2017
    mcgruff10 said:

Not that it really matters (and it's all really a matter of opinion) but if you scour the www and read any of those "ten greatest rock artists of all time" lists, very rarely does Pearl Jam get named.
    Post edited by rummy on
    rummy said:

mcgruff10 said:

Not that it really matters (and it's all really a matter of opinion) but if you scour the www and read any of those "ten greatest rock artists of all time" lists, very rarely does Pearl Jam get named.
    I'm 44 yo. I grew up on my dad's record collection: The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, etc. At 14 yo I bought my first record - Guns N' Roses: Appetite For Destruction. I think many of us are still the "old guys" on this forum. In 5-10 years when these "best of lists" come out, you'll start seeing more 90's bands like: Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers and R.E.M. start pushing out bands like Queen, U2, Pink Floyd, etc. It's just a matter of time and the natural order of things.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Top 10 for me. I'd like to think the general public would put them in the top 20.
    If you start mixing in solo artists (Hendrix, Dylan, Mitchell, Bruce, Neil, etc.), who I think should be included, it pushes them down a bit.
    In no particular order, in a top 20 I'd include:
    Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors,
    Dylan, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, N.Young, Bruce,
    U2, REM, Nirvana, PJ, Radiohead, ...

....Crap, now it's getting tough....ACDC, Metallica, and GNR???? (Seems quite different than The Beatles and Dylan)
    ....Smashing Pumpkins and Oasis were both HUUUUUGE in the mid-1990's so whether you like them or not they should be considered, at least.
    ...RHCP????
    ....Foo Fighters??? (nah)

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Absolutely
    I dont think Pearl Jam's name will carry as good as The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin etc because even now there are tons of people that ask "Pearl Jam? Who are they?" I say we disqualify them from any music rankings lol, but point is they at least know the names of the other bands listed in this thread.

And this is if we are just talking about rock n roll it seems... Are there other genre bands that beat out PJ? Or any of the people listed?
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Nope.... but they are REALLY good.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,042
    For their generation, it's between them, U2 and Radiohead.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR

+1
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Radiohead maybe. U2 is from an earlier generation.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    You could argue greatest American rock band for sure.

But I don't think they'll ever be held in the same regard as the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, ect.
    edited March 2017

+1
    It's almost if they fill the space between U2 and Radiohead being (arguably, of course) the greatest at a specific time period. In other words:
    U2 - 1987-1993
    PJ - 1992-1996?...1998????
    RH - 1997-2001
    With the above said, I'm sure fans (which include myself) of GNR, Nirvana, and even the Smashing Pumpkins and Oasis might debate the above lists.
    Post edited by rummy on
    rummy said:

+1
    It's almost if they fill the space between U2 and Radiohead being (arguably, of course) the greatest at a specific time period. In other words:
    U2 - 1987-1993
    RH - 1997-2001
    With the above said, I'm sure fans (which include myself) of GNR, Nirvana, and even the Smashing Pumpkins and Oasis might debate the above lists.
    Pumpkins had PJ from 95-97
    otherwise this list is pretty much correct.
    maybe Guns in 1987

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited March 2017
    lolobugg said:

rummy said:

+1
    U2 - 1987-1993
    RH - 1997-2001
    maybe Guns in 1987
    Yeah, you're probably right about Billy Corgan and Co. They that double album was pretty big deal (although I don't find that it has aged that well - Siamese Dream is way better).
    Difficult to say about GNR. I think U2 owned 1987 with The Joshua Tree while "Appetite" grew a bit more slowly (kind of like Ten?) but by the the GNRLies came out they were HUGE. I remember eagerly awaiting those Use Your Illusions release for almost a year. Come to think of it, however, that double album didn't age so well, either.
    rummy said:

lolobugg said:

rummy said:

+1
    U2 - 1987-1993
    RH - 1997-2001
    maybe Guns in 1987
    Yeah, you're probably right about Billy Corgan and Co. They that double album was pretty big deal (although I don't find that it has aged that well - Siamese Dream is way better).
    Difficult to say about GNR. I think U2 owned 1987 with The Joshua Tree while "Appetite" grew a bit more slowly (kind of like Ten?) but by the the GNRLies came out they were HUGE. I remember eagerly awaiting those Use Your Illusions release for almost a year. Come to think of it, however, that double album didn't age so well, either.
    Siamese was the best but I think in terms of popularity with the average fans... SP was way bigger in years we mentioned.
    1987 was a little before my expertise. but I can see where GNR didn't really hit mainstream till 1988-89. by 1990 when I started paying attention they were HUGE.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    rummy said:

+1
    U2 - 1987-1993
    RH - 1997-2001
    That s pretty much spot on.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......