Options

**2018 Degenerate Fantasy Baseball League**

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,977
    I won't trade pitchers for hitters unless it is a lopsided trade in my favor. Its just the way I built my team and doing it would offset my whole strategy. 
    If my a-hole pitchers would stop getting hurt I'd be ok...
    If my a-hole batters would start batting now...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Top 4 battle royale going this week.  It is early, to be sure, battle lines will start to be drawn and shit talk will kick up a bit on the heels of these match-ups I do believe.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Top 4 battle royale going this week.  It is early, to be sure, battle lines will start to be drawn and shit talk will kick up a bit on the heels of these match-ups I do believe.

I will probably stay quiet until I see how today goes. My whole offense other then 3 guys are off today. We will probably split the pitching cats so it comes down to hitting on who wins the week. Only having 3 guys today when you have at least 7 will start me in a hole.  
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    You love being in a hole.  
    Yeah I could see this being a 7-6-1 week.  Never can tell with hitting.  Clearly wins and QS and Ks you have me.
  • Options
    Yeah I could see this being a 7-6-1 week.  Never can tell with hitting.  Clearly wins and QS and Ks you have me.
    QS and WHIP are the BIGGEST bullshit stat lists on this fantasy thing..  Why don't they add WAR too...

What a crock...  It's like getting a participation trophy...
  • Options
    QS and WHIP are the BIGGEST bullshit stat lists on this fantasy thing..  Why don't they add WAR too...

Fantasy baseball has been going on for a long time -- there are other stats some people track which are far more bullshit than those two.
    I kinda agree in general on QS being a stat but WHIP makes sense.  Walks matter.
    One of the things I don't like about this league is the batters do not get credit for Walks.

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    How is QS a bull shit stat? It helps you out if your guy throws a good game, but doesn't have the run support. It also penalizes a guy that may get a win, but doesn't pitch particularly well. 

And WHIP is one of the best stats to evaluate a pitcher. It's more reliable than ERA or Wins. The only thing I agree with you about is WAR. That's garbage.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

I'm ok with WHIP and QS. If you take them away you also have to take away K's to me. Who was more valuable:

Pitcher A that went 8 innings with 5 K's, gave up 2 runs on 5 hits/walks but lost 3-2
    Pitcher B that went 5 innings with 8 K's, gave up 6 runs on 12 hits/walks but won 8-6

Without Whip and QS pitcher B had a better day. Pitchers on bad teams would almost be un-ownable. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    I just think 6 innings allowing three runs isn't anything to brag about
      Ok with tracking I just think it should be tougher to earn one

Actually the most important stat for a pitcher is ERA I think.  The point of being a pitcher is not to allow runs.
    Whip is valuable but I think ERA is the ultimate​ tracker for pitchers.
  • Options

Actually the most important stat for a pitcher is ERA I think.  The point of being a pitcher is not to allow runs.
    whip and era go hand in hand. 
  • Options
    Not technically true.  One measures baserunners and the other measures runs allowed.
    Whip is a relatively modern stat, era has been tracked for long time.
    (Me love 
  • Options
    edited May 2017

If you want to get into it ERA is a waste of time. It takes the defense into account as well. I'm not advocating using using FIP, just saying measuring a pitcher is really, really hard. I'm good with our pitching stats. WHIP takes into account hits and walks which is why it should be there. For hitting I would much rather use OBP instead of hits as walks are not accounted for. They should be as patient hitters are undervalued in our league. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Votto is one of best hitters and undervalued, I agree.  That is what made your steroid hero even greater was that he walked more than anyone else on top of the rest of his ridiculous stats.
  • Options
    There is no proof Barry used roids beyond the one sample test. He was found innocent by a jury of his peers. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Damn, down to 1 active hitter today. Not a good start. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Not a good start on pitching either. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Ouch, sorry man....Archer vs Carrasco was a huge grease
  • Options
    Fire 
  • Options
    And now Carasco is hurt. Fucking great. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

I'm ok with WHIP and QS. If you take them away you also have to take away K's to me. Who was more valuable:

Pitcher A that went 8 innings with 5 K's, gave up 2 runs on 5 hits/walks but lost 3-2
    Pitcher B that went 5 innings with 8 K's, gave up 6 runs on 12 hits/walks but won 8-6

Without Whip and QS pitcher B had a better day. Pitchers on bad teams would almost be un-ownable. 
    This league, fantasy that is, is all about stats, sabermetrics and whacky formulas.  K's are an awful stat.  Give me one pitch ground balls all day.  Give me bonus points for GIDP.

Derek Jeter wasn't the "best" ss in the league but he was the one that every manager said they'd build a team around.  There are some things that you can't quantify. 

And Pitcher B above is more valuable because he got the W, at the end of the day that means the most.

QS is still BS...

All this being said I am having fun.
  • Options
    Not technically true.  One measures baserunners and the other measures runs allowed.
    Whip is a relatively modern stat, era has been tracked for long time.
    (Me love 
    Yes, one measures walks and hits per innings pitched. And era goes against earned runs. But how do runs get scored? By having run ers on base. Either through walks and hits.
  • Options

This league, fantasy that is, is all about stats, sabermetrics and whacky formulas.  K's are an awful stat.  Give me one pitch ground balls all day.  Give me bonus points for GIDP.

Derek Jeter wasn't the "best" ss in the league but he was the one that every manager said they'd build a team around.  There are some things that you can't quantify. 

And Pitcher B above is more valuable because he got the W, at the end of the day that means the most.

QS is still BS...

In fantasy, W isn't the most important stat for your pitcher. It's worth 1/7. It's weighted the same. Pitcher B probably only won 2 categories and W being one. Whereas pitcher A won probably 4 or 5 categories but didn't get the W. 
  • Options

QS is still BS...

In fantasy, W isn't the most important stat for your pitcher. It's worth 1/7. It's weighted the same. Pitcher B probably only won 2 categories and W being one. Whereas pitcher A won probably 4 or 5 categories but didn't get the W. 
    I understand how Fantasy is scored.  I thought the question was asked in real life, hence why playing this game you have to look at things completely different then actually playing the game.

It's different but I'm adapting.  Next year I'll be better equipped.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    We are past the first 1/3 of the regular season.
    Been an up and down ride for many teams...even though I am the only one to beat Chicago #1 Head to Head this season, he is beating the crap out of every other team. 
    This is important for Chicago #1 -- he wants to be sure to win the division and get a bye.  The last two years I have won the division, had the bye, and then eliminated him in the 2nd round.  There is revenge on the mind, no doubt!

Still plenty of time to tip things upside down and see any of the teams in the top 6 slots fail to qualify for playoffs but the sands of time run quickly....it is time to be bold and make sure you are making trade offers and working to mix it up if you are one of the teams on the bottom few rungs of the ladder.

Remember that 'Byes' are like gold.  2 weeks to wait while other teams need to slug it out to advance.  There is a bye awarded to each Division Winner.  (This means if the season were to end today that even though I have the 2nd best record I would not get a bye because I am in 2nd place in the West division, behind Chi#1....2 Scotts 1 Cup would get a bye as the winner of the (l)East Division.)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Been an up and down ride for many teams...even though I am the only one to beat Chicago #1 Head to Head this season, he is beating the crap out of every other team. 
    This is important for Chicago #1 -- he wants to be sure to win the division and get a bye.  The last two years I have won the division, had the bye, and then eliminated him in the 2nd round.  There is revenge on the mind, no doubt!

Still plenty of time to tip things upside down and see any of the teams in the top 6 slots fail to qualify for playoffs but the sands of time run quickly....it is time to be bold and make sure you are making trade offers and working to mix it up if you are one of the teams on the bottom few rungs of the ladder.

Remember that 'Byes' are like gold.  2 weeks to wait while other teams need to slug it out to advance.  There is a bye awarded to each Division Winner.  (This means if the season were to end today that even though I have the 2nd best record I would not get a bye because I am in 2nd place in the West division, behind Chi#1....2 Scotts 1 Cup would get a bye as the winner of the (l)East Division.)

Good luck!
    I'm not counting on much from me as this was my first year and missed out on most of the draft so I'm all about "next year", lol!
  • Options

Good luck!
    I'm not counting on much from me as this was my first year and missed out on most of the draft so I'm all about "next year", lol!
    Ani got torched Year 1 and finished in the money Year 2.  A good path to follow!
  • Options

Good luck!
    Ani got torched Year 1 and finished in the money Year 2.  A good path to follow!
    Learn from this season on how you want to draft a team next year. It is not just about drafting the best players. I throw in the tool on some attributes to make sure I win others. Once you get to the playoffs it doesn't matter if you win 8-7-1 or 14-0. You just need to win. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Is this a tool?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    And Ani is exactly right -- winning a tie break on 7-7 finish in the playoffs means the same as destroying your opponent 14-0.
    Fantasy Sports is as much about Basic Math as it is about Basic Sports.  When it comes to playoffs any shitty team can beat a good team -- you work to play the numbers to try and give yourself a consistent chance at winning most weeks.
  • Options
    Is this a tool?

I have no idea what I typed that spell check changed it to tool. I was putting catts originally. 

That tool is fine when he is on weed. When he is a cum soaked heroin addict not so much.
    #PrayForWashCloth
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle