Thunderpussy Band w/ Mike McCready

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,054
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,060
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

1/29/2018 by Patrick Crowley

Jake Clifford
    Thunderpussy

"I'd say the time is ripe for Thunderpussy to high kick the patriarchy where it counts with a thigh-high, rhinestone encrusted, platform boot."

Two parts, Tina Turner’s legs. One part Prince’s squeal. Add a pound of Elvis’ iconic shake and David Bowie’s blue eye -- and et voilà! That’s the recipe for Thunderpussy’s sound -- at least according to the band’s lead singer Molly Sides and guitarist Whitney Petty. Who are we to argue?

The Seattle-based quartet, which also features Leah Julius on bass and drummer Ruby Dunphy, captured the attention of Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready and are gearing up to release their full length, self-titled debut, produced by Sylvia Massy, on Stardog Records/Republic Records. In anticipation of the album, Billboard can premiere their video for “Velvet Noose.”

Sides and Molly talked to Billboard about the story behind the song, their history with Pearl Jam and what it will take for women to get more recognition in male-dominated genres: “Let's high-kick stereotypes in the ass,” declared Sides.

Billboard: What's the story behind the song "Velvet Noose"?

Petty: The name comes from a quote we heard while listening to an interview with Twisted Sister. The band was talking about the dangers of getting too complacent with a modicum success. It's the story of what happened to Rocky Balboa. A little taste of money and power and you lose the eye of the tiger. The things you own will own you. You gotta stay hungry or you'll be hung by the velvet noose.

We recorded it for the first time with Sylvia Massy when we recorded the rest of our debut record, but it just wasn't right, something just wasn't working. Everyone was very disappointed because we all loved that chorus. But we just couldn't do it justice. When we left her studio we went to work with Mike McCready and Josh Evans who had their own ideas about the track and how we might get the version we were all looking for. It turned out they were right and the song you hear now was finalized with the help of their incredible creative intuition. And Sylvia loves it too!

Were you a fan of Pearl Jam before Mike McCready reached out to collaborate? Do you have any memories from your youth of listening to Pearl Jam?

Petty: Everybody who lived through the ’90s knows Pearl Jam. I mean, those guys are legendary. I admit that I did not actually sit down and listen to Ten all the way through until after we met Mike, but when I did -- when we all did as a band -- I realized that I intrinsically knew every song on that record. And I knew every nuance of that guitar solo at the end of "Alive." I mean, it's just so classic, and I must have heard it on the radio a thousand times before we ever met.

What has been so incredible is getting to know Mike first as a person, and a mentor, and then discovering his career and his genius now, as his friend. And actually, now we are all big fans. My favorite record is Vs.

K.Flay was the sole woman up for a Grammy in a rock category this year (she lost to Foo Fighters’ “Run” for best rock song). What will it take for female acts to get more recognition in male-dominated genres?

Petty: I think what it's going to take is exactly what we are seeing in popular culture right now. This is an important time for women and for minorities. We are starting to see a shift in the collective unconsciousness. I think it is undeniable that there is an awareness brewing of inequality that we have not seen in this county for decades. We just got back from CES [a consumer technology business conference] in Las Vegas where we were asked to participate in a panel of incredibly smart and talented women in the music/tech industry on exactly this topic.

Sides: It truly was an incredible panel and being able to listen to so many intelligent women was very inspiring. One of my favorite quotes was said by Fly Si founder, Dr. Knatokie Ford: "If the rules aren't built by people like you, they probably won't work for people like you."

Life is a chaotic game and doesn't always work in our favor and yet, we all have to play it. In order for things to change, we have to do something about it. We have to be the game changers. I also believe women need to stop shaming one another and tearing each other down. We have to support the positive advocates if we want to generate positive change. It's time to break down the rules that don't work or don't apply to us and create ones that do.

Petty: Women are waking up. Men are joining the fight. People are recognizing that diversity breeds creativity, and the world is watching. I'd say the time is ripe for Thunderpussy to high kick the patriarchy where it counts with a thigh-high, rhinestone encrusted, platform boot.

Sides: Let's high-kick stereotypes in the ass.

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    https://www.npr.org/2018/02/02/582850810/watch-thunderpussy-explore-romantic-fallout-in-torpedo-love

Watch Thunderpussy Explore Romantic Fallout In 'Torpedo Love'

Jacob Webb

Bursting with cheeky ferocity and razor-sharp rock 'n' roll chops, Thunderpussy burst onto the Seattle scene 18 months ago and quickly established themselves as one of the city's most exciting bands, based solely on their live show's reputation.

Ahead of their first major release, the forthcoming Greatest Tits EP, we're excited to debut "Torpedo Love," a song that's slower than most of their catalog but retaining their trademark charisma — a flourish of flair to partner every slashing riff and volcanic chorus.

For their video, the band chose to shoot within an unusual location: an abandoned nuclear power plant.

"When working with Magic Mama Massy," frontwoman Molly Sides says, referencing the band's producer, Sylvia Massy, "enthused wild ideas literally explode everywhere. So, it wasn't strange when Sylvia threw out the idea of recording in a silo. As we crept up to the monstrous structures, it seemed as though they'd been waiting for us, and the concrete curtains calling to us. With both nature and nuclear walls hovering, a beautifully eerie collaboration ensued."

Thunderpussy's music sounds best when it's played very loud and very close to you: They're heading out on tour soon — check out the dates here.

Are you going D?
  • DW139059DW139059 Posts: 353
    How bout more vinyl from this band?  :smiley:
    Charlotte '96
    Raleigh '03
    Charlotte '13
    Cincinnati '14
    Greenville '16, Columbia '16
    Nashville '22
    Pap said:
    Are you going D?
    I wish. I live too far from Vancouver to even make it. 
  • lovemyrunnerslovemyrunners Posts: 15
    edited March 2018
    I pretty much have a girl crush on this whole band after seeing them tonight in Vancouver. Definitely worth getting a ticket if they roll through your town. 

• disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Pre-orders for their debut album start tomorrow, 4/6! 
    Pre-orders for their debut album start tomorrow, 4/6! 
    Sweet!  =)
    http://loudwire.com/thunderpussy-thunderpussy-exclusive-song-premiere/

Thunderpussy Make Their Mark With Anthemic Self-Titled Track – Exclusive Premiere

Thunderpussy ... get to know the name. This high energy band is here to rock your world with a new album coming later this spring. But to get the ball rolling, the group is teaming up with Loudwire to bring you the exclusive premiere of their new self-titled song "Thunderpussy."

“Every band should have a theme song, especially if your band is called ‘Thunderpussy,’" state the group. "We knew from the moment the band got together that this was our big chance to do what we had always wanted since the first time we heard ‘Bad Company’ by Bad Company: write a self-titled track. The lyrics are playful and tongue-in-cheek, with slashing guitars and crunching bass, building to a dramatic crescendo. You can hear an actual smashing explosion at the climax -- that's a television meeting pavement at high velocity. ‘Coming for ya ... On the prowl ... .RAWR! Thunderpussy!!!”

The track follows on the heels of "Torpedo Love," which can be seen and heard here. If you like what you hear, be sure to circle May 25 on your calendar. That's when the new self-titled Thunderpussy album arrives via Republic Records. Pre-order details will be announced tomorrow (April 6).

You can also look for Thunderpussy hitting the road in May in support of the disc. Dates start May 11 in Atlanta and you can see their current stops listed below.

Republic Records / Photo by Jake Clifford

Thunderpussy, Thunderpussy Artwork + Track Listing

Republic Records

01. “Speed Queen”
    02. “Badlands”
    03. “Fever”
    04. “Torpedo Love”
    05. “Velvet Noose”
    06. “Gentle Frame”
    07. “All In”
    08. “Cloud”
    09. “Pick It Up”
    10. “UteroTango”
    11. “Thunderpussy”
    12. “Young and Pure”

Thunderpussy 2018 Tour Dates

May 11 - Atlanta, Ga. @ Vinyl
    May 13 - Washington, D.C. @ Songbyrd Music House
    May 14 - Philadelphia, Pa. @ Kung Fu Necktie
    May 15 - Allston, Mass. @ Great Scott
    May 16 - New York, N.Y. @ Mercury Lounge
    May 18 - Brooklyn, N.Y. @ Elsewhere
    May 19 - Toronto, Ontario @ The Garrison
    May 21 - Chicago, Ill. @ Cobra Lounge
    May 25 - Quincy, Wash. @ The Gorge

• disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Also up on Amazon. I was hoping for some sort of a special edition.
    Also up on Amazon. I was hoping for some sort of a special edition.
    Or even a signed edition on their website. That would of been cool if offered. Will wait and see when they go up on Amazon Canada. 
    Come on Amazon Canada. Put up the pre order button already. 
  • WSUFreakWSUFreak Posts: 122
    $35 is a little steep for a debut vinyl.
    edited April 2018
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07BZ455PM/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_apa_u7ZZAbW3AQW7Z

$30.99 CDN ($34.71 with taxes) & free 2 day shipping over at Amazon Canada  =)