Options

Did Brendan O'Brien destroy Pearl Jam's Analog Master tapes?

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934

Yeah, but a digital recording can sound fantastic on vinyl if mastered right.

I think people get too hung up on the source used for the vinyl. It comes down to the mastering. Granted the source can matter, but the vaults are a perfect example. They are probably sourced from DATs or a digital recording, but they are cut and pressed well and sound fantastic.

I think people get too hung up on thinking vinyl is superior to digital. Digital, like vinyl, comes down to the mastering.
    I think the other hang up is that people believe the band has always advocated audiophilia in regards to vinyl, when I don't think that's ever been the case. I have always thought their love was mainly driven by nostalgia, especially since they blew up at the same time CDs exploded and forced vinyl away. I dont recall them ever making the case based on sonic quality or purity.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455

I think people get too hung up on the source used for the vinyl. It comes down to the mastering. Granted the source can matter, but the vaults are a perfect example. They are probably sourced from DATs or a digital recording, but they are cut and pressed well and sound fantastic.

I think people get too hung up on thinking vinyl is superior to digital. Digital, like vinyl, comes down to the mastering.
    I think the other hang up is that people believe the band has always advocated audiophilia in regards to vinyl, when I don't think that's ever been the case. I have always thought their love was mainly driven by nostalgia, especially since they blew up at the same time CDs exploded and forced vinyl away. I dont recall them ever making the case based on sonic quality or purity.
    .... But for those songs about vinyl
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,808
    Can you tell the difference with head phones on Binural?

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    KV4053 said:

.... But for those songs about vinyl
    Aren't those also more about the "feeling" of vinyl and looking at the big artwork in your childhood room?

"Wanted a LP
    Only had CD:s
    So digitally clean
    it was a piece of crap"

- Eddie
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

Binaural sound pretty damn good on my rig. Glad BoB didn't get his grubby mitts on that one ;)

pretty sure he mixed it
    Yep! Doh!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Pono...lol.

Is that still a thing?
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

Binaural sound pretty damn good on my rig. Glad BoB didn't get his grubby mitts on that one ;)

pretty sure he mixed it
    Yep! Doh!
    He mixed it, but they used a different producer.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    JV130312 said:

Pono...lol.

Is that still a thing?</blockquot
    I think it started out with a good idea,but never caught on. Price I think was a factor.

• Options

pretty sure he mixed it
    Yep! Doh!
    He mixed it, but they used a different producer.
    True but Brendan did the mixing and probably the mastering as well, though there is no mention of mastering in the booklet. The producer is pretty much just hitting record and steering them in certain directions in terms of the songs.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    I wonder if we (the fans) should suggest someone else to mix PJ's albums?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006

Trent Reznor.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

Steven Wilson
  • Options
    Eh, it's PJs decision. People in their org read the boards, they know how we feel, ultimately it's their business in how they want to present their art.

But if we are just fan casting, I've been a big advocate of Chris Woodhouse.
  • Options

Josh Homme
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    Jim O'Rourke
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I would pay $1000 for a box set complete with all studio albums remixed by Steven Wilson and pressed at QRP.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I am very lucky I am not picky with hearing the last 2% of the sound I am supposedly missing.

I'm with you there!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Think Binaural sounds fantastic on vinyl.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,476
    Prophets of Rage posted a video on social media recently where they showed the band working with BOB on new music. I laughed when they showed the band circled around a microphone doing hand claps.
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Josh Homme or Jack White would be interesting.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,339

Prophets of Rage posted a video on social media recently where they showed the band working with BOB on new music. I laughed when they showed the band circled around a microphone doing hand claps.

Oh great! More over produced pop music. He really should be making lady gaga albums and not rock n roll albums! Im interested to hear the new Mastodon record. Brendon produced that as well. Cant imagine any hand claps on that album but im sure brendon could pull it off.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Cheesy organs and piano breaks
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,339

Cheesy organs and piano breaks

Im still bitter about how he destroyed Speed Of Sound on Backspacer. Ed's demo was perfection and Brendon turned it into a cheesy pop song. I often wonder how the Fixer would have turned out with Adam Kasper. I think it would have been a great punk song instead of the cheese that it is. Also brendons idea to turn Sleeping by myself into a country song and put it on Lightning Bolt is a fireable offense!!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Why do we assume BOB is responsible for those decisions? Ultimately the buck stops with the band.

Though, to be clear, I don't think any of those songs have egregious issues
  • Options
    I mean, really the only thing you can kinda pin on him is the brickwalling on the last LPs. But the band did it themselves on s/t, so its not 100% his fault. I think people like to pin way more of the blame for things they don't like about the past 2 albums on him. Probably a bit unfair TBH.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

I mean, really the only thing you can kinda pin on him is the brickwalling on the last LPs. But the band did it themselves on s/t, so its not 100% his fault. I think people like to pin way more of the blame for things they don't like about the past 2 albums on him. Probably a bit unfair TBH.

Yeah, PJ wants to go in this direction.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

Why do we assume BOB is responsible for those decisions? Ultimately the buck stops with the band.

Though, to be clear, I don't think any of those songs have egregious issues

Exactly...the band tells him how they want to approach the album. The Fixer demo blows and the changes to the final version were all Ed anyway if I remember right. and the SoS demo is just exactly that, a demo. Finished product isn't great, but that has more to do with the feel of the song than anything else. SBM was a folky song before PJ got ahold of it and Future Days and Sirens are cheesy from the get go.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Funny how at the top of my phone this thread reads "did Brendan o brien destroy Pearl Jam's anal"
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539

Josh Homme or Jack White would be interesting.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    JV130312 said:

Pono...lol.

Is that still a thing?

Who wants to carry around a yellow Toblerone with wires coming out of it?