Pearl Jam - State of Love & Trust / Breath 7" Record Store Day '17

Comments

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    mace1229 said:

Brony said:

This is gonna be my first time getting involved with RSD. How long has this been a "day"?

Has PJ always put something out for this day?

Also...it seems like people are saying 5,000 is a high amount available. You're telling me that only 5,000 people in America would want this? To me, that seems low.

Other than very die-hard PJ fans who also collect vinyl, who will want this?
    If it was any other band I wouldn't care to buy a 7" single of something that will be released on an album a month later.
    5,000 seems like enough to fit that bill to me.
    Who else will want it?

Flippers. You best believe the flippers will pounce.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited March 2017

mace1229 said:

Brony said:

This is gonna be my first time getting involved with RSD. How long has this been a "day"?

Also...it seems like people are saying 5,000 is a high amount available. You're telling me that only 5,000 people in America would want this? To me, that seems low.

If it was any other band I wouldn't care to buy a 7" single of something that will be released on an album a month later.
    Who else will want it?

You can still buy the MLB release from 2 years ago on this website for $8, and will probably remain there until the next mystery vinyl.
    Ever wonder why they do mystery vinyls? They are stuck with a ton of over inventory, and entice us with a very small percentage of something actually cool. So they give away a Benny, a couple Avocados, but get to unload hundreds of other records they couldnt sell for $15 and charge $50 this time. Not complaining, I bought one, it was fun. But thats why they do it.
    Flippers wont have much luck when the supply is larger than the demand. Anyone who bought an extra MLB is stuck with it.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    KV4053 said:

KV4053 said:

I don't understand an environmentally conscience band putting out more vinyl with old music on it.

good grief
    I used to understand but don't understand anymore why anyone would want a vinyl single of songs they've heard a 1,000 times before and have multiple other formats of.
    When you did understand, what did you understand? There's your answer.
    Hoarders mentality. Completing a collection.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

Brony said:

Who else will want it?

You can still buy the MLB release from 2 years ago on this website for $8.
    Flippers wont have much luck when the supply is larger than the demand. Anyone who bought an extra MLB is stuck with it.
    To be fair MLB isn't Pearl Jam. I would imagine the demand for Pearl Jam music is higher than the demand for MLB music. 5000 seems like a decent sized pressing for a band with a following like Pearl Jam. 3000 would be small. 5000 is about right. 7500 would be excessive and destroy all demand :) I imagine these still sell out on RSD but ebay will probably be flooded with enough of them to keep the resale prices down.

Hopefully the 10c puts some up for sale so we don't have deal with RSD :)
    Any idea how many pressings of the albums were made, or the vaults?
  • front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    edited March 2017

So happy it isn't limited to only 500 copies!

"Quantity: 5000"

Post edited by front spacer on
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Waiting to possibly buy from 10c. Not even sure I want it with singles on its way anyway, but realizing this will be in the shop kept me from doing rsd this year for sure.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    Doesn't creating a record just for RSD, then selling it online as well, defeat the total purpose of RSD anyway?
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    mace1229 said:

Doesn't creating a record just for RSD, then selling it online as well, defeat the total purpose of RSD anyway?

Would you prefer that it was an RSD "exclusive" with only 500 made and really difficult for actual PJ fans to get?
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    RP112579 said:

mace1229 said:

Would you prefer that it was an RSD "exclusive" with only 500 made and really difficult for actual PJ fans to get?
    No. I just think it's ironic to label it a RSD item, which promotes going to and supporting indie record stores, then go on to say "but hey, just come buy it off our website instead."
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    It's a RSD first but basically just a promo for the album that's coming.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    mace1229 said:

RP112579 said:

mace1229 said:

No. I just think it's ironic to label it a RSD item, which promotes going to and supporting indie record stores, then go on to say "but hey, just come buy it off our website instead."
    For those that want to support RSD and prefer to physically get their record from the local shop as ooposed to ordering from 10c, bitching about the shipping cost and 1 month delivery turnaround while it floats back and forth around US post offices for 7 days :smiley:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • BrothermoonBrothermoon West Kelowna, BC, Canada Posts: 475
    demetrios said:

Zod said:

yah it's kind of mean to only press 500. With the current popularity of vinyl you would want to press several thousand. Otherwise none of your fans get one and they'll end up on ebay for $100.

That being said some of the other PJ releases have been small runs too.. which made them hard to find. These days my biggest RSD struggle is alot of the cool stuff is US only :(

I pretty much given up on going out on rsd. I pretty much buy my rsd goodies online from USA online record stores. You can't count on Canadian record stores delivering rsd titles.
    What are some of the best online record stores to check? Easy Street, Bull Moose, and Banquet are a few I know of.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    mace1229 said:

RP112579 said:

mace1229 said:

How is buying it off the website not supporting the indie record store?
  • MercuryMercury Posts: 382

mace1229 said:

RP112579 said:

mace1229 said:

How is buying it off the website not supporting the indie record store?
    Because a website isn't an indie record store?
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

But indie record shops have websites.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mace1229 said:

RP112579 said:

mace1229 said:

Most of the online sales happen after RSD with leftover stock. So there's still a benefit to physically going to the indie record store on RSD if there's something you really want. Otherwise, you can take your chances and order it online after RSD. Not a problem with this PJ 7". Getting rid of left over RSD stock via online sales makes sense if an indie has already given their local customers a shot at the items in-store.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

mace1229 said:

RP112579 said:

mace1229 said:

Most of the online sales happen after RSD with leftover stock. So there's still a benefit to physically going to the indie record store on RSD if there's something you really want. Otherwise, you can take your chances and order it online after RSD. Not a problem with this PJ 7". Getting rid of left over RSD stock via online sales makes sense if an indie has already given their local customers a shot at the items in-store.
    I guess. Just seemed funny to me that it was announced it will be available on here at some point, prompting many to already say they dont have to bother with RSD. I see a difference in selling leftover stock that didnt sell, and advertising that they made more than the usual amount and will sell it here. I'm not complaining, I just thought the irony was funny to me.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

http://www.theuncool.com/2017/03/23/pearl-jam-breathstate-of-love-and-trust-7/

Pearl Jam – State of Love and Trust/Breath 7″

As we inch closer to the Singles Deluxe Edition Soundtrack, A Pearl Jam 7″ will be released on April 22nd as part of this year’s Record Store Day to celebrate. The double A side vinyl will be limited to 5000 copies. We’d like to be the first to share both the front and back covers.

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    So what show is that back cover setlist from?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Not a fan of the drop shadow and the stroke on the text. But other than that, the artwork is striking
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    rummy said:

So what show is that back cover setlist from?

Looks like it's from their Mural Amphitheater August 23, 1991 Seattle, WA show.
    https://pearljam.com/tour/history/show/mural-amphitheater
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    mace1229 said:

I guess. Just seemed funny to me that it was announced it will be available on here at some point, prompting many to already say they dont have to bother with RSD. I see a difference in selling leftover stock that didnt sell, and advertising that they made more than the usual amount and will sell it here. I'm not complaining, I just thought the irony was funny to me.

RSD has different exclusives that they sell. Someone are RSD only, and some are first run on RSD, but they get reissued as non RSD issues after, so basically the release date is RSD but it's not a permanently limited item (like the Mad Season reissue). It sounds like the PJ release is the latter.

I'm ok with it. RSD has become a negative experience. I love going to my record store, except on RSD :) It has the polar opposite effect on me. RSD is supposed to drive people into the store, but its the one day of the year I don't like going :(
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    mace1229 said:

RP112579 said:

mace1229 said:

And the 10C store might only carry 50,you just never know. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346

Not a fan of the drop shadow and the stroke on the text. But other than that, the artwork is striking

same... hoping maybe the text is just on the plastic wrap
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 592
    Would anyone be willing to pick me up a copy on RSD? Breath is probably my favorite all time song! - - I am a groomsman in a wedding and wont be able to stand in line etc... I can paypal for costs. Thanks, Rhino.
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • Let's not forget that there are some of us that don't live anywhere remotely close to an indie record store. So while the RSD concept is cute, the reality is we rely on it being online to have any chance of getting it. Nobody should ever be rewarded solely because of where they live.
    Hub. said:

Less than one month. I have to keep it in mind.

Same here though I have a bad feeling not many will be available for sale @ local Canadian or Euro / Australian record stores, that there will be bulk boxes from Think Indie distributed to USA shops. Easy Street Records will probably have over a 500+ copies to sell. Doubt 10club will have a variant for sale. That Raw Power red vinyl RSD release was said to be the 2nd pressing, like the Citizen Dick 10" red vinyl, both releases were RSD first issue, which meant the 2nd pressing would be worldwide public releases. That Raw Power red vinyl didn't see it's public sale, like Citizen Dick's red vinyl did. :/ Will have to wait & see online what 10club & various online record stores will be selling on this Pearl Jam '17 RSD release.