Bank vs Credit Union

FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
edited February 2017 in All Encompassing Trip
My bank just went through another merger. Long story, bad experience and moving on.

Lemme have it! The good the bad the ugly!

Thank you for sharing.
Oh please let it rain today.
Those that can be trusted can change their mind.

Bank vs Credit Union 4 votes

Bank
0%
Credit Union
100%
jmurrayHesCalledDyerKC138045northerndragon 4 votes

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Credit Union
    Banks = money gouging profit thieves
    Credit unions = nonprofit, lower interest rates on loans, free checking, no min balance bullshit on accts, can use a network of surcharge-free atm's, service is often far superior.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I can see the arguments for credit unions but I have to say I get excellent service from my bank. I have a personal banker and she is fantastic; always on top of things, easy to access, a font of information and a hard worker. I'm seeing her today, actually, which prompted me to post. There's no way I would switch, as long as I have her. And wirh the bundle of bank services I have, it's all no-fee, replacement cheques are free, and interest rates are competitive.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I here people that work for banks say credit unions don't pay taxes...?
    Oh and I've been on both sides and have had zero problems with either till this recent merger.

I would have stayed if the new bank would have admitted they pulled shady business and admitted my empty checking account was their fault.

And I'm sure I wasn't the only member with the same horrible experience.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Credit Union
    I have banked with both, however the only account I have maintained since I was 15 is with my credit union.
    Credit unions are much more community oriented and therefore actually focused on promoting financial stability and improvement for their members. I get cash dividends every year, not for maintaining a minimum balance but because I am a member. To me there really isn't that much of a choice credit unions are where my money will remain.

Big banks may be ok for those with more cash than average in the bank and therefore get services like a personal bankers, however that is not the norm. Large banks also make most of their profits by investing in - to be nice - morally(not religious based) questionable business. As an example RBC in Canada is one of the major investors in the tar/oil sands in Alberta. Same as Wells Fargo in the US backing the DAPL.
    Big banks are more interested in their profit and not your financial well being.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Credit Union
    FoxyRedLa said:

I here people that work for banks say credit unions don't pay taxes...?

Correct, they are non-profit organizations.
    I here :lol:

My point was they make it sound illegal.

Thanks for the info guys.