Options

Real Men Provide

Real Woman Appreciate it......?
I would love to read the Trains thought on this LOL !

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/24/women-appreciate-billboard-in-north-carolina-sparks-protest.html

Comments

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/24/women-appreciate-billboard-in-north-carolina-sparks-protest.html

You don't need to read the article, just read the comments at the bottom.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Fox news is a complete non-starter for me

Fake news!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The great thing about a true relationship is it's never 100% on one.

It's never 50/50 - it can't be; life doesn't allow it.

A "real" person, man or woman, is there for their partner and vice versa. My husband and I lean on each other as needed, and bring strength (even money!) as needed.

I appreciate him - fuck, I LOVE HIM - for who he is, not what he does, not what he earns.

It's all about character and integrity...for me, at least.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    edited February 2017
    My old man had a job he hated. His was an only child who had very successful parents who died fairly early and he inherited a decent sum of money. That amount of money was not enough to stop working for the rest of his life and live off, but it was enough with my mom also being extremely successful in her own career that she loved to stop working and to do some nice things for his kids and family (buy cottages, a boat, travel, etc.). So he quit the job he hated and had no income with my mom being the primary annual income (provider) along with the inheritance.

This allowed my dad to essentially do with his time as he wanted.

He gave a shit load of his time to charity. He worked at a soup kitchen (as did I with him) on a weekly basis. he was incredibly involved with our church. He held a bi-weekly dinner for people in the community with HIV. He served on the board of my family's foundation (of which I am now on). Among many other things, including some random part time jobs that he enjoyed...aka selling ski trips to Colorado where he also gets to go skiing.

He coached our teams. He was at every game, recital, match, etc. that we ever had.

My mom had an opportunity to teach in New Zealand twice, so my dad not being held to a job, we were able to move to New Zealand to live for almost a year each time.

Now all of this would not have happened had my mom not had a career she loved that brought in an annual income.

My old mad died at 60 unexpectedly. If he had stayed in that job that he hated, just to make more money to "support" our family based on that bullshit out dated mantra, we would look back on his life very differently than we do today. He was a hell of a man and an awesome person who lived an insanely full life in 60 short years because he decided to go against those norms and do what the hell he wanted. Granted he was very fortunate (as am I) and I certainly understand this is not an option for a vast majority of people.

That said, fuck that billboard.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

My old man had a job he hated. His was an only child who had very successful parents who died fairly early and he inherited a decent sum of money. That amount of money was not enough to stop working for the rest of his life and live off, but it was enough with my mom also being extremely successful in her own career that she loved to stop working and to do some nice things for his kids and family (buy cottages, a boat, travel, etc.). So he quit the job he hated and had no income with my mom being the primary annual income (provider) along with the inheritance.

He gave a shit load of his time to charity. He worked at a soup kitchen (as did I with him) on a weekly basis. he was incredibly involved with our church. He held a bi-weekly dinner for people in the community with HIV. He served on the board of my family's foundation (of which I am now on). Among many other things, including some random part time jobs that he enjoyed...aka selling ski trips to Colorado where he also gets to go skiing.

He coached our teams. He was at every game, recital, match, etc. that we ever had.

My mom had an opportunity to teach in New Zealand twice, so my dad not being held to a job, we were able to move to New Zealand to live for almost a year each time.

Now all of this would not have happened had my mom not had a career she loved that brought in an annual income.

My old mad died at 60 unexpectedly. If he had stayed in that job that he hated, just to make more money to "support" our family based on that bullshit out dated mantra, we would look back on his life very differently than we do today. He was a hell of a man and an awesome person who lived an insanely full life in 60 short years because he decided to go against those norms and do what the hell he wanted. Granted he was very fortunate (as am I) and I certainly understand this is not an option for a vast majority of people.

Sounds like your dad was an amazing human being, Cliffy.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Sounds like your dad was an amazing human being, Cliffy.
    Yes, indeed, I'd like to think so. Thank you.

I was bragging a bit but the point obviously is that he lived a much more full and rewarding life because he took advantage of an opportunity to go against these stereotype norms...

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited February 2017

Great positive story, Cliffy. Be proud of your old man, and brag about him as much as you want. The billboard should read Real Parents provide for their children, just as BOTH of your parents did, financially and emotionally.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    hedonist said:

The great thing about a true relationship is it's never 100% on one.

It's never 50/50 - it can't be; life doesn't allow it.

A "real" person, man or woman, is there for their partner and vice versa. My husband and I lean on each other as needed, and bring strength (even money!) as needed.

I appreciate him - fuck, I LOVE HIM - for who he is, not what he does, not what he earns.

It's all about character and integrity...for me, at least.

you nailed it ! best reply !

• Options
    PP193448 said:

Great positive story, Cliffy. Be proud of your old man, and brag about him as much as you want. The billboard should read Real Parents provide for their children, just as BOTH of your parents did, financially and emotionally.
    Thank you. No doubt. Completely agreed.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited February 2017

Sounds like the men of NC are feeling a little emasculated for losing their jobs and letting their womenfolk out of the kitchen.

They better get used to it.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Cliffy - though our dads were vastly different (yet very similar) in ways, your post reminded me of mine.

Thank you for....hell, just thank you :)
  • Options
    If I'm single then who am I supposed to appreciate?
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Cliffy - though our dads were vastly different (yet very similar) in ways, your post reminded me of mine.

Thank you for....hell, just thank you :)

Reflection is good. That felt good. Glad it brought back some good memories!
  • Options

Real men. Don't ya know?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Left or right hand.

For many reasons.
  • Options

Real men. Don't ya know?
    I don't know any apparently.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,543

Real men. Don't ya know?
    Wait. ...aren't all male PJ fans "real men"?
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

anybody who has been an influence in your life ?

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Goddam, when I saw the billboard I started hearing banjos playing. Bunch of hillbillies. Anyway, I love Hedo's post, and Cliffy's story.
    My billboard would read "Real people appreciate real people."
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

Real men. Don't ya know?
    Wait. ...aren't all male PJ fans "real men"?
    Can't really speak for male PJ fans. I only know one in real life.
  • Options

anybody who has been an influence in your life ?

I have no real male influences in my life.
  • Options
    I always prefer complex men.
  • Options
    Speaking as a (female) child of the 70's - appalling, demeaning, misogynist, and more.

"In the United States, women now financially support 40 percent of homes and tend to take on more domestic chores. They typically spend two hours and 12 minutes on daily housework, while men invest about one hour and 21 minutes into the home."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/29/men-say-they-work-more-than-women-heres-the-truth/
  • Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 612
    I saw this thread and looked into it a little further and thought I'd share some insight.

I'm a middle child now in my 30's my mom had us kids when she was pretty young from 19-25. She has always worked hard, and so did my father but when I was in my late teens he made some mistakes, thought by providing material things he was making our life better or more fulfilled, either way he got into some legal trouble with the company he owned, but to add to it he also got into some marital trouble and essentially disappeared from our life at home and moved 9 hrs away. We all stayed with my mom as we sided with her on who was in the wrong. So my mom still had her career and 3 teens living at home who were not the Easiest to live with but She managed us all and was still very successful in her career. What makes her even more remarkable is that my younger sister,so her 17 year old daughter (my mom would have been 43 at the time) was tragically killed in a car accident. And it was my mother who kept my older sister and I together, still while being a single mom and a career mom. I never ever appreciated it like I should have until my own children were born. And seeing that billboard just struck me as naive. And on the flip side a "real man" at least in my case means to be there, to be supportive, to accept my children, wife, family and friends emotionally, financially and in whatever way I can to be positive figure in their lives. I've been down that road of a financially supportive man in my life and absent in so many other ways and it only led to heartache. It's sad to say that one of THE BEST things I learned from my dad was he showed me the kind of father I knew I didn't want to become. Love him lots but just not who I want to be for my family. Sorry for the long winded post but that billboard just rubbed me the wrong way
    Cheers
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    aidt17 said:

I saw this thread and looked into it a little further and thought I'd share some insight.

I'm a middle child now in my 30's my mom had us kids when she was pretty young from 19-25. She has always worked hard, and so did my father but when I was in my late teens he made some mistakes, thought by providing material things he was making our life better or more fulfilled, either way he got into some legal trouble with the company he owned, but to add to it he also got into some marital trouble and essentially disappeared from our life at home and moved 9 hrs away. We all stayed with my mom as we sided with her on who was in the wrong. So my mom still had her career and 3 teens living at home who were not the Easiest to live with but She managed us all and was still very successful in her career. What makes her even more remarkable is that my younger sister,so her 17 year old daughter (my mom would have been 43 at the time) was tragically killed in a car accident. And it was my mother who kept my older sister and I together, still while being a single mom and a career mom. I never ever appreciated it like I should have until my own children were born. And seeing that billboard just struck me as naive. And on the flip side a "real man" at least in my case means to be there, to be supportive, to accept my children, wife, family and friends emotionally, financially and in whatever way I can to be positive figure in their lives. I've been down that road of a financially supportive man in my life and absent in so many other ways and it only led to heartache. It's sad to say that one of THE BEST things I learned from my dad was he showed me the kind of father I knew I didn't want to become. Love him lots but just not who I want to be for my family. Sorry for the long winded post but that billboard just rubbed me the wrong way
    Cheers

as it should. thanks for your story. sorry about your sister.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    aidt17 said:

Cheers

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing. More to life and relationships than providing money.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    edited February 2017
    what a waste of money. no one gives a shit. a real person provides for a family. it does not matter if that person is a man or a woman.
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options

aidt17 said:

Cheers

as it should. thanks for your story. sorry about your sister.
    Agreed, every word.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2017
    Post edited by BS44325 on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2017
    Considering I was raised by my divorced mother with very little to no help from my father, I say fuck that billboard and anybody that stands behind its message