Pearl Jam – "Again Today" . Brandi Carlile cover song from 'Cover Stories'

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
edited March 2017 in The Porch
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/brandi-carlile-enlists-pearl-jam-adele-for-cover-stories-w467911

Hear Dolly Parton's tender take on "The Story," the title track from Carlile's 2007 LP and focus of all-star charity tribute disc
Pearl Jam, Adele, Dolly Parton, Jim James and more have put their stamp on songs from Brandi Carlile's 'The Story' for an all-star charity tribute album. David McLister
By Daniel Kreps

Pearl Jam, Adele, Dolly Parton, My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Kris Kristofferson and more have all put their stamp on songs from Brandi Carlile's The Story for an upcoming all-star tribute album benefiting the War Child UK charity.
Related
Brandi Carlile Talks Secret Vocal Weapon of New Album

Roots singer shines a light on the harmony-rich Hanseroth twins, her two bandmates in "Brandi Carlile"

Cover Stories: Brandi Carlile Celebrates 10 Years of The Story – An Album to Benefit War Child also features tracks from the country singer's 2007 LP as interpreted by Margo Price, the Avett Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show, Indigo Girls and more. Chris Stapleton, who provides guitar on Kristofferson's "Turpentine," and Miranda Lambert, who delivers backing vocals on Anderson East's "Josephine," also appear on the album.

Ahead of Cover Stories' May 5th release, Rolling Stone is premiering Parton's tender, powerful rendition of Carlile's The Story title track:

All of the Cover Stories tracks were recorded in 2016 with the exception of Adele's take on "Hiding My Heart," originally released as a 21 bonus track in 2011, and Ruby Amanfu's Patrick Carney-produced "Shadow on the Wall," which came out in 2015. As Carlile noted on Facebook, Adele's cover served as the project's "original inspiration."

All proceeds from the album – available for pre-order on CD, vinyl or digitally at Carlile's site – will go toward War Child UK, which aims to help children affected in war-torn regions.

"This is a David and Goliath story," Carlile said in a statement. "Since becoming a mother, the reality of a child's beautiful life being torn apart by war felt like too big of a problem for me. So I asked my heroes and friends to help me launch a rock at the giant that is our refugee crisis and help in the only way we know how: through the power of music."

Barack Obama, who provides a foreword for Cover Stories, said of the country singer and activist in a statement, "As an artist, Brandi Carlile is using her talent on behalf of the most vulnerable among us, children living in areas of conflict. She reminds us that, together, we can build for our children a more just, peaceful world."

In addition to Cover Stories, Carlile and her band the Twins will kick off a nine-date trek in April where they'll play The Story in its entirety. "This album defined our band and welded the Twins and me to one another forever. It’s been a transformative experience to revisit it 10 years later and watch it become something bigger than me. To hear the songs through the voices of my heroes is both surreal and humbling," Carlile said.

Cover Stories: Brandi Carlile Celebrates 10 Years of The Story – An Album to Benefit War Child Track List

1. Shovels & Rope – "Late Morning Lullaby"
2. Dolly Parton – "The Story"
3. Kris Kristofferson – "Turpentine"
4. Old Crow Medicine Show – "My Song"
5. Jim James – "Wasted"
6. The Avett Brothers – "Have You Ever"
7. Anderson East – "Josephine"
8. Secret Sisters – "Losing Heart"
9. Indigo Girls – "Cannonball"
10. TORRES – "Until I Die"
11. Margo Price – "Downpour"
12. Ruby Amanfu – "Shadow On The Wall"
13. Pearl Jam – "Again Today"
14. Adele – "Hiding My Heart"
Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    edited February 2017
    https://brandicarlile.merchtable.com/

https://brandicarlile.merchtable.com/pre-orders/pre-order-cover-stories-signed-and-numbered-limited-edition-test-pressing-vinyl-2xlp-ships-week-of-may-5th-2017;9497

Test pressings are the first vinyl discs made at the factory, they are produced in small quantities to evaluate the quality of the disc. They do not come with covers, liner notes, digital downloads, etc.

Numbered test presses are signed by Brandi Carlile.

Track Listing:

1 - Late Morning Lullaby - Shovels and Rope
    2 - The Story - Dolly Parton
    3 - Turpentine - Kris Kristofferson
    4 - My Song - Old Crow Medicine Show
    5 - Wasted - Jim James
    6 - Have You Ever - The Avett Brothers
    7 - Josephine - Anderson East
    8 - Losing Heart - The Secret Sisters
    9 - Cannonball - Indigo Girls
    10 - Until I Die - TORRES
    11 - Downpour - Margo Price
    12 - Shadow On The Wall - Ruby Amanfu
    13 - Again Today - Pearl Jam
    14 - Hiding My Heart - Adele

*PRE-ORDER CUSTOMERS: Orders are expected to begin shipping week of May 5th, 2017. Any products bought with these products WILL NOT ship until this product ships. All items are mock ups and final product may vary slightly.
    Post edited by demetrios on
    https://brandicarlile.merchtable.com/pre-orders/pre-order-cover-stories-vinyl-2xlp-ships-week-of-may-5th-2017;9493

[PRE-ORDER] Cover Stories Vinyl 2xLP (Ships week of May 5th, 2017)
    Brandi Carlile / Pre-Orders

Pre-order now, get an mp3 digital download of "The Story" by Dolly Parton sent to you on Feb. 22nd.

Digital Download of entire album included with vinyl.

Track Listing:

1 - Late Morning Lullaby - Shovels and Rope
    2 - The Story - Dolly Parton
    3 - Turpentine - Kris Kristofferson
    4 - My Song - Old Crow Medicine Show
    5 - Wasted - Jim James
    6 - Have You Ever - The Avett Brothers
    7 - Josephine - Anderson East
    8 - Losing Heart - The Secret Sisters
    9 - Cannonball - Indigo Girls
    10 - Until I Die - TORRES
    11 - Downpour - Margo Price
    12 - Shadow On The Wall - Ruby Amanfu
    13 - Again Today - Pearl Jam
    14 - Hiding My Heart - Adele

*PRE-ORDER CUSTOMERS: Orders are expected to begin shipping week of May 5th, 2017. Any products bought with these products WILL NOT ship until this product ships. All items are mock ups and final product may vary slightly.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Definitely interested in hearing this
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Wow :flushed: Stoked to hear this...lots of incredible artists involved. Based on the other performers and Brandi's music, might PJ's interpretation of Again Today be in the vein of Crazy Mary??
    Here's Again Today by Brandi Carlile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Sa_ddaN5g

https://pearljam.com/news/pre-order-brandi-carliles-cover-stories-featuring-pearl-jam

Pre-Order Brandi Carlile's 'Cover Stories' Featuring Pearl Jam
    News February 21 2017

On May 5, Legacy Recordings will release "Cover Stories: Brandi Carlile Celebrates 10 Years of 'The Story' – An Album to Benefit War Child."

This historic collection features newly recorded cover versions of all fourteen songs from Carlile’s breakthrough album "The Story."

Pearl Jam, Adele, The Avett Brothers, Jim James, Dolly Parton, and Margo Price are among the artists and activists lending their voices to celebrate the album’s 10th anniversary.

"Cover Stories" is being offered in 1CD, 2LP, and digital configurations and is available for pre-order now via:

iTunes: http://smarturl.it/Brandi_CoverStories
    Official Artist Pre-order: https://brandicarlile.merchtable.com/pre-order

All proceeds will benefit War Child UK, an organization dedicated to supporting children affected by conflict. To learn more about the album, its cause, and contributors go to: www.coverstoriesalbum.com

@ Brandi Carlile

I've been dropping hints for weeks and struggling in holding back my excitement. It's been a long time in the making, and it's finally ready. 14 amazing artists believed in #TheStoryCampaign through the Looking Out Foundation and, together, we created a benefit album that helps kids impacted by war. I'm proud to introduce Cover Stories. This has been a true labor of love. No one's making any money from this. ALL of the proceeds are going to War Child UK. I'm going to be talking about this a lot in the upcoming weeks - be patient with me - we need all the visibility we can get on this thing so that we can raise as much money as we can for these kids. So we're asking you to join us with everything you've got to throw at this crisis. Join us by pre-ordering this amazing album and help these kids get a real chance at a better life. xobc #COVERSTORIES http://buff.ly/2lb7odT
  • GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 230
    I wonder if the video they filmed on Murphy's rooftop last year was actually for this song Again Today?

https://www.facebook.com/PearlJam/photos/a.118116737484.100332.7659317484/10155033853757485/?type=3

@ Pearl Jam

‘Cover Stories: Brandi Carlile Celebrates 10 Years of The Story – An Album to Benefit War Child,’ featuring Pearl Jam, is available for pre-order now.

All proceeds from the album will benefit War Child UK, an organization dedicated to supporting children affected by conflict: CoverStoriesAlbum.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Again Today is a great song...I was spinning this LP yesterday...absolutely love her voice. Can't wait to hear what PJ does with this song.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 592
    Love Brandi's voice and would like to hear her do more collaboration with Ed... I think their voices would pair well!
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
    mfc2006 said:

Again Today is a great song...I was spinning this LP yesterday...absolutely love her voice. Can't wait to hear what PJ does with this song.

Me too. I can't remember the last time Pearl Jam covered a song / artist younger then themselves. The song was released only 10 years ago?
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    This looks pretty awesome
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
    Kris kristofferson sealed it for me.
  • briansimpson737briansimpson737 Posts: 14
    edited February 2017
    Posted on announcement thread as well...PJ and Adele on the same album! Love it. Good to see Shovels & Rope on there, too. Adele's song Hiding My Heart, was recorded back around the time she did 19. I believe it was a bonus track on some editions, and she played it live a couple of times. It is excellent, much different from anything on 25. It's on youtube if anyone wants a preview.
    Post edited by briansimpson737 on
  • Margo Price!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Is this Brandi Carlile a famous musician? Never heard of the lady.
    october22 said:

Is this Brandi Carlile a famous musician? Never heard of the lady.

She's been around for awhile & has built a very loyal following. She's great live and has a huge voice...definitely worth checking out!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

Margo Price!

Yes!
    Sweet!

Here is your digital download link.

Please enjoy this digital copy of The Story - Dolly Parton in glorious 320 kbps MP3 format. Thank you for your pre-order and support!

Dolly Parton - The Story - Dolly Parton Download via email

:)

Barack Obama, who provides a foreword for Cover Stories, said of the country singer and activist in a statement, "As an artist, Brandi Carlile is using her talent on behalf of the most vulnerable among us, children living in areas of conflict. She reminds us that, together, we can build for our children a more just, peaceful world."

lol

That's rich coming from the biggest arms dealer in the world (more than any US administration in history), drone-striker in-chief, middle-east conflict expansionist, the man who gave us the NDAA (look that one up) and doubled down on the Patriot Act. Real peaceful guy, perfect for an introduction to your work, Brandi.

It's amazing what you can get away with when you have a D next to your name, isn't it?
  • october22 said:

lol

That's rich coming from the biggest arms dealer in the world (more than any US administration in history), drone-striker in-chief, middle-east conflict expansionist, the man who gave us the NDAA (look that one up) and doubled down on the Patriot Act. Real peaceful guy, perfect for an introduction to your work, Brandi.

It's amazing what you can get away with when you have a D next to your name, isn't it?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

october22 said:

lol

Yup, there he is. Smiling and dancing his way right into idiots' hearts. Unfortunately, Ed is one of them.
    Pretty shocked the test pressings are still available.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Jesus Christ can we just have ONE discussion where Obama or Trump aren't thrown into it. This place is starting to become the Yahoo comments section.

Jesus Christ can we just have ONE discussion where Obama or Trump aren't thrown into it. This place is starting to become the Yahoo comments section.

true
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    demetrios said:

Because it's super expensive is my guess.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    scurtis said:

demetrios said:

Yes, even for a test pressing.. two bills is kinda crazy.
    MedozK said:

scurtis said:

demetrios said:

Yes, even for a test pressing.. two bills is kinda crazy.
    Yeah I would have bought it for a hundred maybe.